Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands toughest estates?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ballybeg in Waterford and Cranmore in Sligo have rather bad reputations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

eviltwin wrote: »
    I know Sheepmore, work in the area. Don't know what they are on about.
    Sheepmoor
    I lived in close vicinity for eight and a half years. The things I've seen!

Still, I'd have considered Ladyswell to be rougher. My one consolation all through the time is was there was "could be worse, at least it is not Ladyswell".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Muirhevnamor, Dundalk

Gun and arson attacks this summer have highlighted how serious criminals have established a presence in this huge estate in Dundalk.

One gun attack this summer was a reckless and dangerous attack which could easily have cost the life of an innocent bystander. Criminals with paramilitary connections have allowed serious crime to become embedded in the region.

What a load of rubbish. I know people who live there, quite happily, and I walk through it all the time, day and night. The last sentence in particular is utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Anyone who reads the Sunday World is a fucking moron.

Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

El Weirdo wrote: »

Fact.

What if ye only get it for the pictures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

braddun wrote: »
    limerick

Moyross has been strongly associated in the media with anti-social behaviour and crime. Delmege Park is considered one of the worst affected areas of Moyross

O'Malley Park(Southill)

St Mary's Park The Island Field

The two city centre parks are not safe at night. Arthur's Quay Park and the People's Park

O Malley Park has nearly two thirds of the houses knocked down. Not so dangerous now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Fact.

I buy the Sunday world for the simple reason I have a new puppy I'm house training, I wouldn't dream of reading it but I do use it to put down on any piss to soak it up, I find it lasts longer than the mail or the people, mainly because their so much sihte journalism in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

masti123 wrote: »
    A report was released online today naming Irelands's toughest estates...

The top 4 toughest areas in the report are all areas of Dublin with Neilstown in Clondalkin coming in at number 1, followed by Dublin 1 (the North inner City), followed by West Tallaght and then Sheepmor in Blanchardstown... Despite there also being decent hardworking families struggling to live and bring up families in these areas these places still are ranked as the toughest areas in the country...

This report was apparently from the Sunday World. I'm from clondalkin myself and Neilstown is a kip but it's nowhere there as bad as it was 10 years ago. I personally think this report is disgraceful, brings the area's down and gives it a bad name.

What do you make of this 'report'? Agree or disagree?

Neilstown has nothing on the Cherry Orchard area. A few of the finer examples from this year.

http://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-cherry-orchard-1802987-Nov2014/

http://www.thejournal.ie/child-shot-dublin-1516922-Jun2014/

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/man-26-stabbed-to-death-in-savage-attack-at-dublin-rave-in-empty-industrial-unit-30749681.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Nodin wrote: »
    What if ye only get it for the pictures?
    You types are the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Here's what I'd like to know: how did t hey manage to consider all of Dublin 1 an estate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The two city centre parks are not safe at night. Arthur's Quay Park and the People's Park

Well you'd be foolish to go into any city parks after dark.

That said, Limerick city center is one of the quietest and safest area's at night which I know of.

Limerick gets a lot of very unfair press.

I'm a Dub, and a northsider too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

limerick

Moyross has been strongly associated in the media with anti-social behaviour and crime. Delmege Park is considered one of the worst affected areas of Moyross

O'Malley Park(Southill)

Top to bottom nonsense.

The Peoples Park is closed at night, like most public parks, there is a very popular childrens playground within the park which is packed with families, it is a lovely place to take a stroll or eat lunch...never ever is there a hint of hassle, you may spot a wino grabbing forty winks but as long as you don't try and snatch his buckfast he'll leave you alone.

Arthurs Quay park currently has an ice rink in it, before that there was some kind of Halloween Spookyland thing for kids...it wasn't remotely scary...all year round at all hours of the night there are buses pulling up beside the park it is as safe as any city centre park can be...

Crime has plummeted in the estates you have mentioned...not disappeared but plummeted, don't expect your newspapers to tell you that.

The perception people have of Limerick is way out of kilter with reality...thanks to News articles like the one mentioned.

Irish people are easily manipulated it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Sheepmoor
    I lived in close vicinity for eight and a half years. The things I've seen!

Still, I'd have considered Ladyswell to be rougher. My one consolation all through the time is was there was "could be worse, at least it is not Ladyswell".

Since all the green spaces were built on and the council cracked down on anti social behaviour Ladyswell has really improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is it a competition now?

I fecking hope not. The last thing that's needed is the scumbags putting in extra effort to be extra scumbaggy to move up the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

boobar wrote: »
    Lyrath Estate in Kilkenny....

Got robbed there once

Thought that'd get at least 10 thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭RINO87

limerick

O'Malley Park(Southill)

What utter rubbish. Not safe at night? The people's park is closed at night and Arthur's quay park has a very busy 24/7 bus stop outside it with, taxis and private cars always queuing up to meet those busses. I have no idea what you are basing your statement on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No mention of Costa del Darndale.

The times they are a changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Ballybeg in Waterford and Cranmore in Sligo have rather bad reputations.

Cranmore's isn't really justified anymore.

Was worse years ago, but a lot have moved out of the estate, gone to jail, or just grown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

The perception people have of Limerick is way out of kilter with reality...thanks to News articles like the one mentioned.

Irish people are easily manipulated it seems.

That's true

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2014/09/26/limerick-is-a-safe-haven-for-tourists/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Has anyone seen statistics on murder rates (recent) across the cities of Ireland?
    I'd wager that the rate in Limerick has dropped drastically in the last 5 or so years.
    Not so sure about the other cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I always wondered how Waterford and Limerick compare size wise - i know Limerick is bigger but how much bigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I don't think west Tallaght is as bad as it was at all. As a native of east Tallaght (quiet, "normal" part), I used to ****e myself going there, but I was there a while back, didn't see anything dodge. No horses or real scobes like yesteryear. Just lots and lots of ropey architechture and iffy paint colour choices.

It was a bit bleak, but not threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Fact.
    You must have read it at some stage to come to that conclusion, does that mean you're a moron ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

KungPao wrote: »
    I don't think west Tallaght is as bad as it was at all. As a native of east Tallaght (quiet, "normal" part), I used to ****e myself going there, but I was there a while back, didn't see anything dodge. No horses or real scobes like yesteryear. Just lots and lots of ropey architechture and iffy paint colour choices.

It was a bit bleak, but not threatening.

Eh, the normal part? I'm from west Tallaght and I'll bleedin bate ya for that.

Seriously though, an utter nonsense of a story from an utter rag of a publication. They're even using historical issues for their hysterical rating system, the Westies ffs.

They're so pig ignorant of any of these areas, as shown by their use of west Tallaght rather than any specific area. Why? Probably because the moron of a "writer" heard once that somewhere around there a was rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There's a house up for auction in Sheepmoor, very cheap, bit of fire damage - someone at the Sunday World looking for a bargain perhaps?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Gentrified now but Mounttown Flats was nuts back in the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

What about Shankill and the Shanganagh cliffs? And shancastle in Clondalkin there all rough areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Number one though would have to be Charlamount street flats. 'Charlo'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

What about that Kip Dalkey? Isn't it the only place they've had to increase Garda numbers in recent years, or way that Donnybrook? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

All cities have their rougher areas. Like any other place, there are good people and scumbags. It's just that the good works done by the decent people doesn't sell newspapers, so the redtops focus on using sensationalist headlines to sell their rags.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement