Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skinheads in Dublin city centre

Options
  • 30-11-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I live in Tempe Bar and occasionally see groups of skinheads sitting around Smock Alley theatre at night. As a lot of people use that little area for drinking I thought it might be the progression from Central Bank for the goth kids. Yesterday however I was walking on George's St and this time saw two skinheads, sitting down and blaring a skinhead song - this one from Romper Stomper.

Has anybody else noticed groups of skinheads in Dublin city centre, and do you happen to know if they are of a political persuasion or just enthusiasts of the look? The Romper Stomper song made me a bit nervous that they were not the rudebody/mod type skinheads, but trying to give the look of the NF/racist set.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Most of the skins hanging around town are sound enough, a lot of them just kids that saw This Is England and got into it. The racist ones don't usually last long because they get bashed and cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I live in Tempe Bar and occasionally see groups of skinheads sitting around Smock Alley theatre at night. As a lot of people use that little area for drinking I thought it might be the progression from Central Bank for the goth kids. Yesterday however I was walking on George's St and this time saw two skinheads, sitting down and blaring a skinhead song - this one from Romper Stomper.

Has anybody else noticed groups of skinheads in Dublin city centre, and do you happen to know if they are of a political persuasion or just enthusiasts of the look? The Romper Stomper song made me a bit nervous that they were not the rudebody/mod type skinheads, but trying to give the look of the NF/racist set.

They probably have no idea what Romper Stomper was. If they do, it makes me feel very uneasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

What colour bootlaces did they have :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Skin heads rule boot boys fools....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I'd be surprised if there was any of that carry on in Dublin. Its not an environment that nurtures extreme views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

ror_74 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if there was any of that carry on in Dublin. Its not an environment that nurtures extreme views.

Having seen them a few times I thought it was just the look, but playing that kind of song made me nervous. On the one hand it was laughable as they were loudly playing a skinhead song, outside the Dunnes supermarket. Hardly the most threatening crew. On the other hand I know if I saw the same thing in foreign I would immediately think racists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Having seen them a few times I thought it was just the look, but playing that kind of song made me nervous. On the one hand it was laughable as they were loudly playing a skinhead song, outside the Dunnes supermarket. Hardly the most threatening crew. On the other hand I know if I saw the same thing in foreign I would immediately think racists.

Know what you mean. I cant see that happening here though - I'd say it was more to get a reaction out of people than anything sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Hi all,

I live in Tempe Bar and occasionally see groups of skinheads sitting around Smock Alley theatre at night. As a lot of people use that little area for drinking I thought it might be the progression from Central Bank for the goth kids. Yesterday however I was walking on George's St and this time saw two skinheads, sitting down and blaring a skinhead song - ["]this one [/URL]from Romper Stomper.

The few I've talked to were more sharp than nf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'm pretty sure it's just the look they're going after. Goth is gone, emo is gone, rockabilly is mainstream... Skinhead is the next subcultural fashion to be appropriated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Aard wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's just the look they're going after. Goth is gone, emo is gone, rockabilly is mainstream... Skinhead is the next subcultural fashion to be appropriated!

Perhaps in a few years time there'll be a load of new romantics outside dunnes playing ol' Cure songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

^ I've seen it starting so I wouldn't be surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Regardless of sharp/bootlace colour/nazi afilliations, most skin heads back the 80s 90s were either violent morons or posers. I'd imagine the new generation of wannabes are falling neatly into either category still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

They hang around in Stephens Green regularly enough. I've found them pretty harmless. Better than the knackers that appear in there when the sun is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Aard wrote: »

I saw a guy a couple of months ago around Dundrum wearing basketball boots, skinny jeans and a black leather jack underneath his sleeveless denim jacket. The classic Slayer look!

I saw a guy a couple of months ago around Dundrum wearing basketball boots, skinny jeans and a black leather jack underneath his sleeveless denim jacket. The classic Slayer look!

Thrash metal is back in vogue for the kids. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Some of those skinheads are pretty dangerous...and some of them are white supremacists or at least claim to be.

Mind you from my years as a punk,the so-called Nazi skins were usually yellow-bellies who were only brave in a gang although quite a few of them carried knives and coshes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Doubt they're all racist because I've seen BLACK a skinhead in Dublin this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Doubt they're all racist because I've seen BLACK a skinhead in Dublin this year.

Milky's story would say otherwise :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They'd want to wear woolly hats to protect their skinny heads when the winds to be roaring and blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Skinheads of the rudeboy and mod variety are just fine, but the racist types less so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

You'd have to assume being Irish would deter them from being bad skinheads. They're hardly sitting around listening to Skrewdriver slagging off paddies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Ranchu wrote: »
    You'd have to assume being Irish would deter them from being bad skinheads. They're hardly sitting around listening to Skrewdriver slagging off paddies.

You never know :)

chopper6 wrote: »
    You never know :)

I do. They used to back in the day :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The Black Catholics resurrected?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,868 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Take them bowling?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

For what it's worth, the best skinhead band to come out of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Ranchu wrote: »

They could be bad skin heads in another way though, I know up in Derry there was a group of young lads that were around for a while that were apparently involved in beating up a gay couple, and there is definitely a couple of out and out racists/white supremacists in the metal crowd in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

They could be bad skin heads in another way though, I know up in Derry there was a group of young lads that were around for a while that were apparently involved in beating up a gay couple, and there is definitely a couple of out and out racists/white supremacists in the metal crowd in Dublin.

Any of the lads I've met at gigs have been grand. Definitely of the antifa variety anyway. I've seen the lads the op is probably talking about hanging around the hapenny bridge. If it's the same ones they look very young. Hopefully someone will steer them in the right direction. Could be a case of people seeing what they want to see though.

I know nothing about the metal crowd. Probably Varg Vickernes dickheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

bassey wrote: »

Jaysus, the mighty Beano on bass, haven't seen the lad in many years.

Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

bassey wrote: »

its not worth much though, is it? This is why skinheads listened to decent genres like Ska, they had no talent themselves :D

Advertisement