Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not a member of union for Tuesday's Strike! (Thread Re-opened)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

acequion wrote: »
    I would urge all of you to write to your union leaders telling them exactly that: 0% They need to keep getting that message repeatedly. Loud and clear!

Save your energy .They were inundated with emails and phone calls before HRA 2 Vote #3 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

katydid wrote: »
    I'm surprised the admin and maintenance staff will pass the picket. They are generally union members too. They should be reminded of such...

Aye but in fairness it's not an all out strike, they aren;t part of the TUI or ASTI either. Also union members were instructed to let any other non teaching staff staff pass the picket without any hassle. I've a lot of time for the office and maintenance staff in my own school and really it's not their beef about JC teacher assessment, they're the last people I'd want to turn against as they're one the few contact points between teachers and 'the real world' on a daily basis so they know what goes on in schools and the stuff some of us have to put up with sometimes. In the heel of the hunt the school was fully closed on the day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/axing-of-junior-cert-proposed-in-2009-to-save-money-1.2038912

Nothing we didnt already know. Front page story on the Times today, maybe now Jan can stop denying the real reason for 'reform'.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/axing-of-junior-cert-proposed-in-2009-to-save-money-1.2038912

Nothing we didnt already know. Front page story on the Times today, maybe now Jan can stop denying the real reason for 'reform'.

this needs to be publicsed by the union
    this is very very important for the campaign. will keep the public on our side.
    hopefully the timing of it means it does not get buried in xmas news

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm surprised the admin and maintenance staff will pass the picket. They are generally union members too. They should be reminded of such...

Their unions SIPTU and IMPACT informed them to come to work as normal and our unions informed us to let them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Anyone have any idea how long it takes to process membership? I applied two weeks ago and got a letter last week from ASTI confirming they had received the application.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how long it takes to process membership? I applied two weeks ago and got a letter last week from ASTI confirming they had received the application.

Talk to yer rep, once you are ratified at a union meeting then yer officially in. But if you got a letter to acknowledge your subs payment then there shouldn't be any problem with acting as if yer a full member.

Busted... take that Ed 'its all about teachers pay' Walshe...

Although I wonder why would a govt dept leak the memo? Can't see why anyone would have a gripe against Yan... maybe it was put out there to blame FF and give FG an 'out' to abolish the proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Armelodie wrote: »
    Although I wonder why would a govt dept leak the memo? Can't see why anyone would have a gripe against Yan... maybe it was put out there to blame FF and give FG an 'out' to abolish the proposals.
    That's exactly why. Blame FF for this so that they can get away with back peddling. Keep the pressure on and we can make it a u turn.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Aye but in fairness it's not an all out strike, they aren;t part of the TUI or ASTI either. Also union members were instructed to let any other non teaching staff staff pass the picket without any hassle. I've a lot of time for the office and maintenance staff in my own school and really it's not their beef about JC teacher assessment, they're the last people I'd want to turn against as they're one the few contact points between teachers and 'the real world' on a daily basis so they know what goes on in schools and the stuff some of us have to put up with sometimes. In the heel of the hunt the school was fully closed on the day too.
    It's called solidarity...

It's called solidarity...

Taking this 'solidarity' to its logical conclusion all workers in unions shut the country down??Otherwise it's not solidarity.
    The aim of the strike was to cease education and gain attention, Mission accomplished, I dont see what good it would do by berating other fellow workers who are inconsequential to the issue at hand.

Taking this 'solidarity' to its logical conclusion all workers in unions shut the country down??Otherwise it's not solidarity.
    The aim of the strike was to cease education and gain attention, Mission accomplished, I dont see what good it would do by berating other fellow workers who are inconsequential to the issue at hand.

Of course not. But fellow workers in the workplace where a picket is placed should not pass it. It's as simple as that.

Of course not. But fellow workers in the workplace where a picket is placed should not pass it. It's as simple as that.

ok fair enough if thats your stance. Personally I think that the purpose of a picket is to prevent the establishment from operating as norma, so without teachers the school is effectively closed. Its not like the greyhound workers where they were shipping in temps to drive the bintrucks... thats crossing the picket in my eyes. (were the office workers intimidated in that case? if they were I think thats wrong).
    What about the teachers not in unions who wrote in to say they were available to work and got paid? Isn't that technically crossing the picket (even if they were told to stay at home on the day). My point being, a picket is more than just school gates in the physical sense... it exists as a metaphor. How we use the metaphor is important, creating unnecessary ill-will amongst other non-teachers hardly helps our case.

If for example a newspaper had reported that verbal abuse (teachers shouting 'scabs, black legs') of office/maintainence staff had taken place in some schools... would you stand by it on principle, (keeping in mind what the purpose and end goal of the strike was).?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

"The memo also shows the government considered proposals to abolish the school transport scheme, and to introduce an annual €150 tuition fee for post-primary students."

Are there no depths to which those bean counting bar stewards wouldn't stoop ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I read that today too. couldn't get over it!

important to note as well this article was in the Irish times. still makes me sick to see teachers still buying the Indo with their anti teacher agenda.
    Nothing on rte website either about it.......

ok fair enough if thats your stance. Personally I think that the purpose of a picket is to prevent the establishment from operating as norma, so without teachers the school is effectively closed. Its not like the greyhound workers where they were shipping in temps to drive the bintrucks... thats crossing the picket in my eyes. (were the office workers intimidated in that case? if they were I think thats wrong).
    What about the teachers not in unions who wrote in to say they were available to work and got paid? Isn't that technically crossing the picket (even if they were told to stay at home on the day). My point being, a picket is more than just school gates in the physical sense... it exists as a metaphor. How we use the metaphor is important, creating unnecessary ill-will amongst other non-teachers hardly helps our case.

If for example a newspaper had reported that verbal abuse (teachers shouting 'scabs, black legs') of office/maintainence staff had taken place in some schools... would you stand by it on principle, (keeping in mind what the purpose and end goal of the strike was).?

No, I certainly wouldn't stand by anyone verbally abusing someone who passes a picket, but I do think it's more than a personal stance. It's a long standing tradition that workers show workers for other workers by not passing a picket. I can't see how it would case ill-will; it works both ways, teachers shouldn't pass pickets put on by other workers in their place of work.

Yes, saying you're available for work is technically passing the picket, and, in my view, shows bad form. Those same teachers are benefiting from the advances made for their profession over the years - and there have been plenty over the years - and will be the first to take any improvements in conditions that will be recouped over the next few years. The least they could do is show some solidarity with their colleagues who are fighting for all teachers, including them.

km79 wrote: »
    important to note as well this article was in the Irish times. still makes me sick to see teachers still buying the Indo with their anti teacher agenda.
    Nothing on rte website either about it.......

but here is an article that the Indo decided was more newsworthy today http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/buoyant-sales-and-ringing-tills-for-christmas-retailers-on-teachers-strike-day-30844329.html

Reading between the lines... the Irish Independent, the whole private sector and the Irish Economy support teachers' position on self assessment.

• Advertisement

Reading between the lines... the Irish Independent, the whole private sector and the Irish Economy support teachers' position on self assessment.

eh? you have lost me!

eh? you have lost me!

Just their usual pathetic attempts to link teachers striking with shopping (to keep the urban myth of the 'teachers shopping in newry-gate' going I'd presume). I'm just trying to put a positive spin on a teacher story from the Indo..

"The secondary school teachers' strike day coincided with 'buoyant sales and ringing tills' for Christmas retailers, according to a Retail Excellence Ireland (REI)."

Advertisement