Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had a MIC upgrade on the ESB network?

Options
  • 26-11-2014 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone with a residential property ever had a MIC upgrade on their property and what was involved ... and if they dont mind divulging of course, how much did it cost? - do the ESB have to install new overhead cables or poles or transformers or whatever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not a consumer issue. Moved to Electrical

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Just wondering has anyone with a residential property ever had a MIC upgrade on their property and what was involved ... and if they dont mind divulging of course, how much did it cost? - do the ESB have to install new overhead cables or poles or transformers or whatever?

You would need to decide what MIC you require then assess the situation. You will also need to know weather your existing supply is overhead or underground. MIC upgrades can get tricky in domestic situations if you require over 80amps supply

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Not a consumer issue. Moved to Electrical

Soz :(

Par1 wrote: »
    You would need to decide what MIC you require then assess the situation. You will also need to know weather your existing supply is overhead or underground. MIC upgrades can get tricky in domestic situations if you require over 80amps supply

hmm this is where it gets confusing, I dont know what MIC I require, all I know in plain english is that when I put the 8KW instant shower on the main incadescent lights dim a lot and the voltage goes from 238volt to 230volt so ESB said i would need to upgrade the MIC - the fuseboard has 80a mains switch - the electricity lines are overhead to the house - i wouldnt think I need over 80A even though got 8kw shower and electric oven and electric hob, and its a old bungalow with not a lot of electrical sockets, well no-where near as many sockets as these new properties

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don't see anything in the above post that suggests that the MIC should be any larger than that of the average home.
    Get an electrician to survey and advise.

• Advertisement

at 11pm at night voltage starts off at 235vac and goes down to 227vac when 8kw shower is on, thats only a difference of 8vac so i wonder why the lights dim so much? - and shouldnt the voltage stabilise at the same voltage say at 235v even when the shower is on or is it normal for the voltage to drop by 8volts AC ? when an 8kw shower is turned on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you could just take off one of the heaters coils ,disconnect 1 wire ,tape it off,and the neutral in the power shower ,which would cut power in half

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Rural area? If so I wouldn't be surprised.

A few thoughts:
    1) 230 volts is an average.
    2) I would expect a volt drop when an 8kW load is switched on.
    3) 227 volts should not be a problem for any device designed to work on 230 volts

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your MIC is just a contracted rate, domestic MIC is 12KW, but that's irrelevant as the MIC is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

thats a major expense for a minor inconvenience. lights dimming when an electric shower is in use is not a strange occurrence. it would be no harm to get an electrician to give the board a quick once over to check connections and make sure the distribution is correct

• Advertisement

braddun wrote: »
    you could just take off one of the heaters coils ,disconnect 1 wire ,tape it off,and the neutral in the power shower ,which would cut power in half

would 4kw heat up the water ok still? - its a pumped instant shower. Its got a power knob on the outside of th shower casing (cold,low,med,high) so i suppose if i put the knob to low maybe that will cut it down to 4KW, might try that next time, although pressure of shower will go down wont it because water will have to pass through chamber slower to heat up?

2011 wrote: »
    Rural area? If so I wouldn't be surprised.

yep small village - our previous house which was just a mile up the road, had 2 9kw pumped showers (going through a relay thing on the consumer board so you could only use one shower at a time) but the lights in the house didnt dim when you put the shower on - mind you our pevious house was built in 2002 and this house we are in was built in the 1970's i think, even though at some stage the wiring has been updated and the consumer board changed at some time (Hager with breakers and 80a mains RCD switch)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

How many poles away is your transformer andy?

evosteo wrote: »
    thats a major expense for a minor inconvenience. lights dimming when an electric shower is in use is not a strange occurrence. it would be no harm to get an electrician to give the board a quick once over to check connections and make sure the distribution is correct

well thats what the ESB reply was to upgrade the MIC to the house and sent me a form by email to fill in and get a quote - what do they actually do when they up the MCU to a house? - do they put some kind of transformer on the pole or something? or do they just up the voltage on the overhead lines to the house is it?

How many poles away is your transformer andy?

oh blimey , i dont know really i cannot even see a transformer on the poles that i can see. The transformer is the big round grey metal thing isnt it on the pole just under the overhead wires isnt it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

The transformer is the big round grey metal thing isnt it on the pole just under the overhead wires isnt it?

Yea that would be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

Sounds more like an old fuse board with small mains tails

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you open up the shower and take 2 leads off 1 heater

turn off power first

and use electrical tape to cover the 2 prongs

you should have lots of hot water

you will only use about 3.5kw

Can you send in a pic of the fuseboard? ESB are obligated to keep the supply to within 4% of 230v so 9.2 v below 230 v would be the limit? And please don't go messing with the shower��

Yea that would be it.

oh right, well one day i traced the overhead wires from the outside meter box, it must go under a bit of path, then there is a pole opposite the meter box, and theres not a transformer on that pole, then it goes to another 2 poles in a field and they havent got any transformers on them - then the overhead cables go into a housing estate. Its looks as through the arrangement that we are last on the line, maybe thats why we havent got clean electrics maybe some houses before us are having an affect if we are last in line maybe? - the poles i can see in the fields have got moss growing up them nearly to the top where the cables are on the galvanised brackets. Are those overhead cables PVC covered or bare copper would you think? - just have visions one day of the damp/wet moss growing on them cables and metal bracket and shortin them out one day if they are bare cables and not pvc covered.

• Advertisement

seaniefr wrote: »
    Can you send in a pic of the fuseboard? ESB are obligated to keep the supply to within 4% of 230v so 9.2 v below 230 v would be the limit? And please don't go messing with the shower��

Heres pic of board i took in june when we moved in if you can see it - it looks like its been updated recently enough:
    aaa7aa98-9a34-4a09-9b34-946cab6ca0db.jpg

And here is a picture of the meter - the tails look like its 45a Twin&Earth cable to me running from the meter to the consumer board:

cf17828a-e139-4c5c-a6ad-726185d9c8f1.jpg

Mains cable in that pic could possibly be 10sq? Harder to tell with the old stuff.Earth wire too small unless there is another earth wire running direct to the earth rod. No RCBO on shower supply possibly. You really do need an electrician to have a good look at it. Your mains t&e possibly might not be big enough but you really to get it checked. Board possibly late 80's? I haven't seen red and black t&e in years! Someone else here might have a better idea.

Mains cable in that pic could possibly be 10sq? Harder to tell with the old stuff.Earth wire too small unless there is another earth wire running direct to the earth rod. No RCBO on shower supply possibly. You really do need an electrician to have a good look at it. Your mains t&e possibly might not be big enough but you really to get it checked. Board possibly late 80's? I haven't seen red and black t&e in years! Someone else here might have a better idea.

thanks for the info. Must have a look and see if theres an earth rod on the premises then and a earth wire running from it to the consumer box. no it dont look like a RCBO on the shower circuit, just a MCB. - could ask the landlady to get an electrician in i suppose, although not looking forward to it dont want to be pain in the backside tennant, also this house was supposed to have had an electrical test and earth compliance test before we moved into the place in June to comply with PRTB and it passed, so she most probably wont be happy about getting in an electrician.

Maybe that new housing estate you mentioned in a previous post nearby is taking more from the supply than the ESB intended. Is there full occupancy there? Sounds like the ESB need to upgrade! Also quite possible regarding the shower RCBO that it might be along with the water heater have been put under the socket 'ELCB'

not too worried about lights dimming when something heavy put on, more worried about what it might do to electronic stuff like TV, computers ect... although I do have them plugged into surge/spike sockets

....Also quite possible regarding the shower RCBO that it might be along with the water heater have been put under the socket 'ELCB'

your right Sean - shower is going through the 63A RCD/ELCB just switched off the RCD and it killed the power to the shower - so that should mean it doesnt need an RCBO then after all doesnt it?

6d284836-1d4e-4500-bf77-c1897ebe16e3.jpg

not too worried about lights dimming when something heavy put on, more worried about what it might do to electronic stuff like TV, computers ect... although I do have them plugged into surge/spike sockets
    You probably will not get any action from the ESB unless the supply voltage drops below 220.8 volts

your right Sean - shower is going through the 63A RCD/ELCB just switched off the RCD and it killed the power to the shower - so that should mean it doesnt need an RCBO then after all doesnt it?

6d284836-1d4e-4500-bf77-c1897ebe16e3.jpg
    Yes It is protected and if you have had an electrical test hopefully the person carrying out the test has tested it with an RCD tester

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

the shower should not be connected directly off that 63a rcd, its over rated for the cable, it should be wired throught a 40a rcbo for personal safety due to the close proximity of the electric shower to water.

from the pic it looks like the tails are 10sq, should be 16sq from meter to d/b in a domestic setting.

theres no way that board and house wiring is up to standard for certification so unless the cert was done on the side (thru a mate) id be getting a second opinion.

• Advertisement

evosteo wrote: »
    the shower should not be connected directly off that 63a rcd, its over rated for the cable, it should be wired throught a 40a rcbo for personal safety due to the close proximity of the electric shower to water.

from the pic it looks like the tails are 10sq, should be 16sq from meter to d/b in a domestic setting.

theres no way that board and house wiring is up to standard for certification so unless the cert was done on the side (thru a mate) id be getting a second opinion.
    The tails issue has already been pointed out. The ELCB is not an over current device that function is carried out by the MCB. The only disadvantage is that if the ELCB trips everything going through it is instantly disconnected. I agree with the certification issue and it has been pointed out to Andy by myself and others to get someone in and how do you know without seeing the cert that it has not already been pointed out?

Advertisement