Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonder Woman (2017)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

silverharp wrote: »
    I think the line was a "tug boat" and they don't normally do sea voyages but even if , it would have taken weeks whereas 2 days would be like 70mph, not something chugging the med at 10 to 15 knots.

Oh, I agree it's a plot hole to an extent, but in the grand scheme of things not really that big of a deal.

But once again there was no time frame mentioned for the voyage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

techdiver wrote: »
    Oh, I agree it's a plot hole to an extent, but in the grand scheme of things not really that big of a deal.

But once again there was no time frame mentioned for the voyage.

Its not something you would pick up overly watching first time, Im more curious about how film makers attitude and how they deal with these, do they go with a cynical use of a "mcguffin" because the rubes wont notice or did they even notice and are just shiite at geography and sailing?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Its not something you would pick up overly watching first time, Im more curious about how film makers attitude and how they deal with these, do they go with a cynical use of a "mcguffin" because the rubes wont notice or did they even notice and are just shiite at geography and sailing?

I would say a bit of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Just watched this last night. Overall I enjoyed it, it edges out MoS as the best in the DCEU so far IMO. Gadot and Pine are brilliant together and they really sold the relationship between Diana and Steve. That WW actually evoked an emotional response with Steve's sacrifice at the end speaks volumes. The last comic book movie to do that was the first Captain America movie (in eerily similar circumstances) and it is something missing in the vast majority of the MCU and DCEU movies fail to achieve. It also hit a nice balance of humour, action, and drama. Diana's "fish out of water" perspective really added to it too. The action was very well done. No Mans Land in particular was just awesome. The fight with Ludendoff was pretty decent. It had a nice close quarters, weighty feel to it. Even the final fight looked good.

It's not all good though. While I don't think there's any major issues with WW, there's a good few minor things that bugged me.
    - They went a bit OTT with the "war is hell" message, mostly coming from Steve. I mean, we can see that, it doesn't need to be stated so much.
    - The CGI/action/choreography is ropey in places. The opening montage of Amazonians training was ambitious but ultimately looked fake. A lot of WW's movements looked 'off' to me. It's like she was gliding around the place at times. There was no consistency to how she moved. Maybe that was on purpose but there were several times where they way she moved just looked wrong.
    - Some of the dialogue was quite cringe. One that sticks out like a sore thumb was the exchange between Dr. Poison and Ludendoff after throwing the poison (and mask) into the room with all the generals. It was like something out of the 60s Batman show it was that cheesy - evil laugh and all.
    - The rag tag group was too in your face rag tag. They obviously tried to go for light and likable but I think they overshot on their portrayal of that. That moment with them huddled together facing death was touching though.
    - How is the Amazonian island still hidden? Ok fine, the ship went down but 1) surely the Germans would investigate the disappearance of one of their ships and crew and would know the general area to look in, and 2) Given that Steve was flying from Belgium to London how has no other ship ever stumbled on to it before? The English Channel isn't that big. Also, I find it really weird that it happens to be in the English channel :)
    - Why, when Aries is killed, do the German soldiers all start hugging each other (and their enemies)? Aries was telling the truth when he said he was not influencing man, merely giving them tools. So why this contradiction? I quite liked the whole journey of Diana realising that man was flawed and capable of terrible things all on their own. The ending kinda undid that.

That might seem like a lot of negatives but overall I did enjoy it a lot. I much rather these kind of minor annoyances over the messes that SS and BvS were. It's up there with the best of the MCU despite its flaws and hopefully the rest of the DCEU can learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

is there a plot hole with their boat trip from ~Greece back to the UK, it would have taken a month or 2 but in film they have allegedly done it in a couple of days?

Actually, I'm a bit confused here. Wasn't Steve in Belgium when he stole the notebook? Isn't that where Dr. Poison was doing her work? And then he was flying to the UK. How did he end up near Greece? I had just assumed the Amazonian island was somewhere between Belgium and the UK. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bacchus wrote: »
    Actually, I'm a bit confused here. Wasn't Steve in Belgium when he stole the notebook? Isn't that where Dr. Poison was doing her work? And then he was flying to the UK. How did he end up near Greece? I had just assumed the Amazonian island was somewhere between Belgium and the UK. :confused:

No he was in Turkey, the base was in a desert wasn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nope it was somewhere in the Med; I suspect it was Turkey, as the troops Steve snuck past were very definitely wearing uniforms of the Ottoman Empire.

No he was in a "secret military installation" in the Ottoman Empire.

So close geographically to where Themyscira would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

- How is the Amazonian island still hidden?

that does take you out of it a bit , unless they did they should have thrown in a line that there is some force wall where you cant see the island or its a different dimension or something. I was expecting the island to be off South America somewhere which would at least make the still hidden bit somewhat plausible

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

that does take you out of it a bit , unless they did they should have thrown in a line that there is some force wall where you cant see the island or its a different dimension or something. I was expecting the island to be off South America somewhere which would at least make the still hidden bit somewhat plausible

Yeah all they had to do was put in a throw away line that the magic keeps the island hidden unless it wants to "let" someone in or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jenkins has signed on for the sequel.

THR

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good news, and hopefully the success of the first film will afford Jenkins the latitude to put more of her own stamp on things, and not have to 'Synder'ify everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Surprised this got good reviews. It's complete garbage. Turned it off after the three of us fell asleep.

Way too much slow mo at the start. CGI terrible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

RasTa wrote: »
    Surprised this got good reviews. It's complete garbage. Turned it off after the three of us fell asleep.

Way too much slow mo at the start. CGI terrible too.

You're one gifted human being able to operate a remote control while sleeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You're one gifted human being able to operate a remote control while sleeping.

We lasted 80mins. It was enough.

They could have chopped 20mins from the movie if they removed the slow mo.

They could have chopped 20mins from the movie if they removed the slow mo.

Hyperbole much? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Tbf, removing the slo-mo would have definitely gotten rid of the feeling that the film was so bad it was distorting the space-time continuum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Obvious hyperbole... which I'm sure was the point...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Good for you.

I got through 25 mins a few nights ago. I don't know if I'm returning to it to finish it out.

I hear the middle section is good, but the end is limp. But, as far as I'm concerned the opening was terrible. So it must be the middle of the film that worth all the praise that this film got. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Tony EH wrote: »
    Good for you.

I got through 25 mins a few nights ago. I don't know if I'm returning to it to finish it out.

I hear the middle section is good, but the end is limp. But, as far as I'm concerned the opening was terrible. So it must be the middle of the film that worth all the praise that this film got. :confused:

Did you get to the part where Gal is seen in the WW costume :D If you're sleepy for that section, get someone to check if you have a pulse :p;)

• Advertisement

Did you get to the part where Gal is seen in the WW costume :D If you're sleepy for that section, get someone to check if you have a pulse :p;)

No, they're all still on the Island. It's after that rubbish slo-mo battle on the beach. She's talking to Steve about his nonsense in Turkey and what not. I didn't actually get to an "wonder" bits.

Seems to me, based on what I've seen and heard that Gal Godot is almost totally responsible for the goodwill that's been lavished upon this film.

Have to say though, she does nothing for me. Pulse checked and still going.

I might stick the rest on later and see where it goes, but I so many other things that are sitting there waiting to be watched.

I think Wonder Woman is worth evaluating within the context in which it was born; it has its flaws for sure (a minor point, but in retrospect, I found the colour grading to actually make me feel ill at points), yet it was a competent, fun, breezy film that for a lot of people managed to belatedly kick the DCEU into something resembling a first or second gear.

After 3 films of DC characters grimacing in the rain, it was cathartic to watch a superhero film about its titular character wanting to be heroic and being thus. No space-jesus despairing at how awful this burden of Earth's protector was - just Wonder Woman turning to the audience and saying 'hold my drink', then saving the day.

As for Gadot; meh. She's not my type, but even if she were, in this era of the internet the notion of watching films for some pretty faces feels a bit redundant. Literally every taste, preference and fetish is catered for within 10 seconds of googling. Gal Gadot parading around in a mini-skirt is kinda quant at this stage :)

See, I've never had a problem with grumpy Superman and pissed off Batman. They make perfect sense to me. DCCU's take on Superman was quite refreshing. His alien discomfort among human kind, I have absolutely no issue with.

Batman, too, has always been about brooding and anger. He's supposed to be sitting atop Gotham buildings "grimacing in the rain". I thought Batfleck's older, jaded, tired (and woefully mistaken) Batman was bang on. Gotham is a cesspool and its affects have taken its toll on Bruce.

So, to me, Wonder Woman (a character I never liked in the first place, because frankly Amazonian goddess thing is just stupid) and her breezy inanity is a step back in gear. Admittedly, I have only seen the first half hour of the film. But, something tells me the rest isn't going to be up to much. Perhaps, the fish-out-of-water middle section can provide something. But, so far, the only thing I've gotten out of it is the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,230 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think Wonder Woman is worth evaluating within the context in which it was born; it has its flaws for sure (a minor point, but in retrospect, I found the colour grading to actually make me feel ill at points), yet it was a competent, fun, breezy film that for a lot of people managed to belatedly kick the DCEU into something resembling a first or second gear.

After 3 films of DC characters grimacing in the rain, it was cathartic to watch a superhero film about its titular character wanting to be heroic and being thus. No space-jesus despairing at how awful this burden of Earth's protector was - just Wonder Woman turning to the audience and saying 'hold my drink', then saving the day.
    Completely agree. I think it was the best of the movies they have put out so far - and the positive reaction to it also being a strong female lead help it a lot too. I don't think it was a bad movie, personally, but I think it is very over-rated. The last act, in particular, was a mess imo. Poor ultimate villian, mixed messages, terrible dialog and an awful final fight.

The mixed messages really annoyed me - they put it out their that human nature was a massive part of why the world was at war (not just cause of the bad guy) but as soon as he is defeated all the german soldiers are happy and peaceful immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Thought it was awful. Wonder woman herself is absolutely clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

After Suicide Squad i had told myself to not watch another DC film again but i was intrigued by the high ratings.

Not quite sure why this is so highly rated? Thought it was just as poor, if not worse than the terrible films already in this universe.

Everything is a cliche about it, awful CGI, poor dialogue, humour falls flat. Just a really sh!te film tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

^^^ like a lot of action movies, best seen on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it, and I thought it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

branie2 wrote: »
    I saw it, and I thought it was very good.

Me too. Watched it today, very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The theme for anyone who might wanna re-listen :):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_o7XUX3fg

and of course .. No Man's Land!

Advertisement