Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrity Encounters

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Reggiesmammy

I got a selfie with Roy Keane he wouldn't smile though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I got a selfie with Roy Keane he wouldn't smile though

You should have thrown the book at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I ended up at a very small but excellent little music venue in Kilburn London that no longer exists called the Luminere.. it was a showcase gig for a band called the Hours... i got there mad early on my tod not a sinner in the place... next person through the door was Ian Brown of Stone Roses fame... the small bar in the venue only me and him so we ended up yapping about music for a good while until his gang came in... as much as i loved his music i always had a pre conception he might be a bit of a wanker but what a total sound down to earth guy...

It was a surreal night as later while taking a piss i ended up with Flea and Anthony Keidis at urinals either side... "howya lads" and also spent a good hour in the company of Geoff Travis who signed the Smiths not having a bulls notion it was him i was talking to.. i even asked him what he did for a living.. again a very nice bloke as it goes..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Ha, I was an extra in that as well. I was only in the boxing scene, and I've never even watched the movie. I'll be honest, I found James McEvoy fairly annoying because he kept suggesting shots to do and thereby wasting time and dragging the day out (directors routinely have to placate stars on stuff like this and never use the shots).[\quote]

No way? I was in the dance scene. He was fine that day but Anne Hathaway wouldn't stop singing! Took hours to film because of her!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

KatW4 wrote: »

No way? I was in the dance scene. He was fine that day but Anne Hathaway wouldn't stop singing! Took hours to film because of her!

Yeah I was studying at the time and a friend knew the people involved in casting extras. Was good money, and we lived in the liberties so it was handy, although walking from costume and make up in the Tivoli past the day drinkers in Francis st to get to the set, in your eighteenth century garb and stupid hair was fairly embarrassing. Basically spent the day trying to chat up the other extras, who were all acting students or whatever. Didn't go well on that front because I'm an embarrassment. But they fed us well. I'd recommend it as an experience but for most people there it seemed more important than that, which was kind of unfortunate. More importantly, unlike you, I didn't get to be in a scene with Anne Hathaway.

I heard she was asking for me but...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

Strumms wrote: »
    I ended up at a very small but excellent little music venue in Kilburn London that no longer exists called the Luminere.. it was a showcase gig for a band called the Hours... i got there mad early on my tod not a sinner in the place... next person through the door was Ian Brown of Stone Roses fame... the small bar in the venue only me and him so we ended up yapping about music for a good while until his gang came in... as much as i loved his music i always had a pre conception he might be a bit of a wanker but what a total sound down to earth guy...

I was queuing at the ATM outside O'Neills pub in Dublin when someone tipped me on the shoulder and asked me for directions to rira nightclub in a heavy manc accent- none other than Ian Brown himself.
    As a Stone Roses fan was pretty starstruck to say the least. Again had heard he was a bit of a knob but my mate and I chatted with him and his small entourage for about ten minutes and he was a cool guy.

other z-list encounters:
    anne doyle in o'donoghues
    barry mcguigan/ken doherty at dublin airport
    served jack charlton in dunnes stores- (he bought t-shirts and 3-pack of underpants lol)
    don wycherly
    Marcel Desailly at Manchester Airport looking lost

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was queuing at the ATM outside O'Neills pub in Dublin when someone tipped me on the shoulder and asked me for directions to rira nightclub in a heavy manc accent- none other than Ian Brown himself.
    As a Stone Roses fan was pretty starstruck to say the least. Again had heard he was a bit of a knob but my mate and I chatted with him and his small entourage for about ten minutes and he was a cool guy.

other z-list encounters:
    anne doyle in o'donoghues
    barry mcguigan/ken doherty at dublin airport
    served jack charlton in dunnes stores- (he bought t-shirts and 3-pack of underpants lol)
    don wycherly
    Marcel Desailly at Manchester Airport looking lost

He was sound as anything very chilled and took an active interest in what I was doing and my own story which was cool because I was kinda star struck but it just ended up as two lads in an empty bar shooting the **** about life and music for a while.

I've travelled in some circles shall we say that surround the music business (God I hate that phrase) and a couple of more sound individuals you couldn't wish to meet then Paul Weller and Richard Hawley. Gentlemen and down to earth as it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

I caddied a round for Christy O'Connor Jr.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Derek Davis used to go to my gym. I was getting changed after a shower once and he was there, absolutely starkers, trying to get the lock open on his locker. He turned to me and growled "here young lad, can you open this for me, my glasses are in the locker and I cant see a f**king a thing". Slightly different from his Live at 3 persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

keano_afc wrote: »
    Derek Davis used to go to my gym. I was getting changed after a shower once and he was there, absolutely starkers, trying to get the lock open on his locker. He turned to me and growled "here young lad, can you open this for me, my glasses are in the locker and I cant see a f**king a thing". Slightly different from his Live at 3 persona.

There's an image I won't easily forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i met Bill Clinton when he was president, shook his hand and had a brief chat with him, seemed a really nice man.

also stayed in the same hotel as an international football team well known to us all and when we came back from the nightclub at 6am, we were met in the lobby by 3 or 4 of the most famous players, well steamed and heading off out again - they had another game 3 days later.

a mate of mine owns a nightclub and have done some work for him as a student and served a few of the irish "celebs" but didnt really pay much attention to them.

have had a few pints with Bernard Dunne (mutual friends) and have to say, he is a top bloke - well up for the craic, down to earth and a good laugh.

Graeme Souness sat beside me on a flight to a United game (he was covering it for Sky Sports) and he was really really sound - very surprisingly sound actually, seemed really open and willing to talk to people and actually was driving the conversation as opposed to most famous people who normally have no interest in talking to members of the public.

theres a few more, but nothing worth talking about really.

Advertisement