Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrity Encounters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I once shared an elevator with Blackie Connors from Glenroe. Must be 10-15 years ago now. Starstruck I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

anncoates wrote: »
    Yeah but have you meet any celebrities?

he is one whether you like it or not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Was at the Castlebar Blues Fest about ten years ago. As we were heading home on the last day we saw a stage being set up on Main Street so we said feck it and parked up for another night, got a few cans and settled down across from the stage. Who turns up but Enda Fúcking Kenny making an election speech.
    Was having a chat/drink with Ann Cassin from RTE and her sis from the airport a while back when this huge guy lumbered over to us, grabbed the three of us in a bear hug and went 'I love yere weather' before heading off to the jacks.
    Shane handed me the last third of his pint of Smithwicks from the stage during a Pouges gig in '89. He must have been cutting down.
    Would have met almost every musician and actor who came out of Galway over the years. All sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Seen Sarah from Masterchef yday in the shops. She is a creature of pure beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

Met Dave Grohl on Aston Quay while waiting for a bus. Paris Hilton walked into an In 'n' Out burger I was at and acted the complete tit. Met Bear Grylls and Matt Groening at E3. Best of all i got to work very closely with The Greatest American Hero himself Bill Katt for ten months. A fantastic guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

keano_afc wrote: »
    I was at a mate's sister's play in a school and went for a slash at the break. Standing at the urinal next to me was Brian Dobson.

I win.

I should add that he was urinating too, not just looking at me or giving the latest headlines.

I saw him once eating sandwiches up some hill in Dublin. He was sitting with I assume his wife and they had a dog.

Was weird seeing his legs as when ever I see him on the news , its always waist up. He wore brown shoes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

KungPao wrote: »
    A tad bit harsh, no?

No

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

anncoates wrote: »
    She used to drink in my local so I've seen her in person. Fair enough I've taken the piss out of the tan and so on and she's not my sort (I'm sure she's heartbroken) but you're being very harsh. By any objective standard, she's nowhere near an ugly woman.

If we all shared the same opinion on everything t'would be a very boring world

IMO she is a horrible wreck

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

Met Vinnie Jones at Dublin airport while getting shoe shine few years ago. Thought I saw him somewhere before but couldn't remember where. Lock, stock and two smoking barrels were on TV some time later. I was glad I didn't swear in front of him that day...
    Met Sean McGinley at work last year. Small talk about weather and having a laugh about something when I get feeling that I know the man.
    "Have we met before?" - ask I.
    "I don't think so." - says he.
    "I just have that feeling... " - continue I.
    " You probably saw me on TV. " - answers he.
    Silence falls...
    I'm not very good with all that celebrity stuff am I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

My granny lives quite near Brendan Gleeson's childhood home.
    One day, whilst doing a grocery shop, I bumped into the big man himself-and he is BIG. I'm a tall woman but he towered over me!
    That said, couldn't be a nicer fella! He helped my granny with her shopping and had plenty of time for a chinwag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I've seen Enda a couple of times. He's actually quite personable.

You wouldn't mind him as a neigbour or distant relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Played pool with Pat Shorte one Sunday morning in Thurles back in the 90's. I think I won.

I've posted this before and will gladly do it again.

Years ago when I was working in a hotel we were told there was a high profile guest staying in the hotel and to make sure they were looked after like every other guest. We were told it was pat shorte. Now I knew the name but couldn't put a face to it. I was aware he one of the dumbelivable lads but didn't know which. Any who..... At the time I had a lot of hair in a somewhat unusual hairstyle. Someone comes up to the bar orders a pint of black and I'm getting drinks for other people as well. Place the Guinness on the counter and ask for €3.70, as I'm giving back the change he makes some Craic about my hair. I quickly say "what are you? Some kind of comedian?". Later that night I found out that yes, yes he is a comedian, in the middle of his tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Brigante

Met Carmelo Anthony.

Chatted to Bill burr for a bit.

Roman Abramovich and his security/entourage cycled by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Floyd Patterson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Frynge wrote: »
    I've posted this before and will gladly do it again.

Years ago when I was working in a hotel we were told there was a high profile guest staying in the hotel and to make sure they were looked after like every other guest. We were told it was pat shorte. Now I knew the name but couldn't put a face to it. I was aware he one of the dumbelivable lads but didn't know which. Any who..... At the time I had a lot of hair in a somewhat unusual hairstyle. Someone comes up to the bar orders a pint of black and I'm getting drinks for other people as well. Place the Guinness on the counter and ask for €3.70, as I'm giving back the change he makes some Craic about my hair. I quickly say "what are you? Some kind of comedian?". Later that night I found out that yes, yes he is a comedian, in the middle of his tour.

Pat Short is a comedian on stage but off stage he isn't, he said himself that when people meet him they expect him to be funny and they get pissed off when he isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I met...

Kirsty Gallagher in Chiswick, I think

The fat headed one from Ant & Dec at M&S, in Kew

Roy Keane at cork airport

Alex Higgins in Chiswick

Bob Geldof at Heathrow

That Trevor newsreader for the BBC, glasses

Most current Irish politicians, always see them in town

Paul o connell and DoC at cineworld

Jimmy Carr, outside the international

Pat Bonner, at my local

Those welsh lads, dirty Sanchez, in a pub

That Eoin McLove guy on Dame St

I met Cillian Murphy at a party in Cork before he made it. Next thing I know I'm watching Batman thinking... he seems familiar

Dara o Brian on Patrick's bridge in cork

Worst. List. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

We were staying at a castle hotel in Galway for a couple of nights at the same time as Brian Ferry.

We didn't speak but at breakfast one morning one of the elderly waitresses said in a stage whisper:

"Are yer here for ya music Mr Ferry?"

Brian - "No. For a funeral."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Sonny Knowles stopped in his car and asked me for directions to Carrick on Suir when I was a kid.

Amazingly,I saw him on Nationwide a few years ago and he had the same jacket as me.

Yeah,myself and Beyonces dad go back a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Pat Short is a comedian on stage but off stage he isn't, he said himself that when people meet him they expect him to be funny and they get pissed off when he isn't.

Now i wasnt pissed off with him and at the time every second person commented on my hair. It was my simple response so that i didnt have to actualy engage with people when the bar was busy.

Another time when i was managing a hotel i was walkin trough one of the bars andthe band we were paying hundreds to were nowhere to be seen. Some guy was up on stage playing guitar and singing. I was goin ballistic thinking were wernt getting our moneys worth from the band. I found the band out the back of the hotel in the delivery area and was about to go mental at them but there reason was pretty good, mundy was in the crowd and he wanted to get up and do a few songs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I was an extra in the film Becoming Jane a few years ago. James McAvoy came over to us and had a chat. He was lovely

Also met Anne Hathaway, Julie Walters, Maggie Smith and James Cromwell that day.

I met Matt Willis at the stage door of Wicked twice. He was so nice to everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I rode Elvis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

I rode Elvis.

No wonder the poor fecker sh1t himself to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

No wonder the poor fecker sh1t himself to death

Not true, he's alive and well. Lovely piebald he is too. Big feathery legs on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I know the guy who played Carl in up, in real life. That's about it. I saw Matthew mc connaughy from a distance but didn't know who he was and I was standing next to Seth mc farlane at lax in 2009 but didn't know who he was either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I once met Neil Armstrong. I was so utterly starstruck (pun intended) that all I could say to him was "I think you're really cool". He, on the other hand, was articulate and charming and came across as an utter gentleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I seen Ronan Keatings aunts cousin go by in her car once, she waved at me and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

KatW4 wrote: »
    I was an extra in the film Becoming Jane a few years ago. James McAvoy came over to us and had a chat. He was lovely

Also met Anne Hathaway, Julie Walters, Maggie Smith and James Cromwell that day.

I met Matt Willis at the stage door of Wicked twice. He was so nice to everyone!

Ha, I was an extra in that as well. I was only in the boxing scene, and I've never even watched the movie. I'll be honest, I found James McEvoy fairly annoying because he kept suggesting shots to do and thereby wasting time and dragging the day out (directors routinely have to placate stars on stuff like this and never use the shots).

I once said hello to Bill Murray when he was in Kilkenny at the comedy festival when I was a teenager and he said hello back. Not exactly a classic story, but he is a hero of mine. That was cool. Dara o'briain was walking down high st at the festival another year and we chatted away to him, a lovely man.

Oh, I had a Twitter conversation with Graham Linehan a couple of weeks ago about Patricia Highsmith, who he hadn't realised was anti Semitic, he was very appreciative of the info. Dunno if Twitter encounters count though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

My mum met phil lynott from thinlizzy in a hotel in london in the 70s(she worked cleaning the rooms and stuff). He had a record player in the room and asked her what she thought of his yet to be released song "the boys are back in town", back then my mum didnt know who he was. she replied with "yeah its alright I suppose!".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Met Dennis Hopper on Camden Street of all places back in the '90s. Was showing off and said 'Hey Dennis, loved you in Speed', he laughed and said thanks.

I still cringe about it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I spotted Lord Lucan in Ballina one night. I went to ask him for a picture and he refused.

I have to say I thought he was very unfriendly and it was obvious he didn't want to be recognised.

Advertisement