Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

What to make of this?
    http://www.stdc.ie/rural-broadband-for-south-tipperary/

South Tipp Development Company acknowledging the NBP target of 2020 but going ahead with some wireless solution in partnership with Wuhan Vstar - apparently Okayed with ComReg. Better than 30Mbps?

Anyone have insight on their technology?
    In Wexford too
    http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/business/ultrahigh-broadband-speed-trials-in-taghmon-30979920.html
    Ultra-high speed broadband could be on its way to rural Wexford at last, with Taghmon leading the charge.

A three-month technical trial testing a new service to rural areas will begin in Taghmon within months.

Formal agreement on the trial was signed between Wexford Local Development and Chinese broadband firm Wuhan Vstar earlier this month.

Brian Kehoe, Chief Executive of Wexford Local Development, said communities in rural Wexford cannot afford in either economic or social terms to wait on others, no matter how well-intentioned, to address the broadband gap.

'This digital divide is costing rural Wexford access to jobs, training and social opportunities and must be addressed urgently,' he said.

The technology to be pioneered in the three month trial is wireless-based, but recent innovations in technology abroad mean it can potentially offer much higher average speeds than has been available to most rural customers and even far in excess of the government's own targets under the National Broadband Plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Well guess there goes our NBP government probably see this and go fixed wireless for all dam was looking forward to FTTH :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

I'd like to see details on this "agreement" - has money changed hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

rob808 wrote: »
    I would rather stay with DSL than wireless.

Pretty dubious about any wireless solution myself. May provide a suitable stop-gap for some until FTTH is implemented.

A quick search doesn't throw up anything regarding Wuhan's apparent deployments in rural China and Australia.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

In today's |Irish Times....

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/ireland-s-broadband-black-spots-1.2103169

He acknowledges that people are frustrated by having to wait for broadband, but he asks for patience. “We want people to keep faith with it, because, when they get it, they are going to get it at a standard comparable to anywhere in the world,” he says. Monthly progress reports will be published between now and 2020.

White has already spoken to the European Investment Bank and the European Commission about finding the bulk of the estimated €500 million to fund the State end of the project. “I would see this as being funded from a variety of sources,” he says.

And this...

A draft intervention strategy, outlining how the plan will be rolled out, is to be published in the middle of this year, after consultation with the public and commercial operators. Then plan will go to the European Commission, which has to be satisfied, first, that the State is not intervening where the commercial sector should be and, second, that the new service will be a big improvement on what is currently available.

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    In today's |Irish Times....

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/ireland-s-broadband-black-spots-1.2103169

He acknowledges that people are frustrated by having to wait for broadband, but he asks for patience. “We want people to keep faith with it, because, when they get it, they are going to get it at a standard comparable to anywhere in the world,” he says. Monthly progress reports will be published between now and 2020.

White has already spoken to the European Investment Bank and the European Commission about finding the bulk of the estimated €500 million to fund the State end of the project. “I would see this as being funded from a variety of sources,” he says.

And this...

A draft intervention strategy, outlining how the plan will be rolled out, is to be published in the middle of this year, after consultation with the public and commercial operators. Then plan will go to the European Commission, which has to be satisfied, first, that the State is not intervening where the commercial sector should be and, second, that the new service will be a big improvement on what is currently available.
    A cording to that look like schools and businesses be connected to first so guess if your near one you get connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

rob808 wrote: »
    A cording to that look like schools and businesses be connected to first so guess if your near one you get connected.

I would like to think so .... hopefully the cable passes me on the way to the local school :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Actually the IT article appears to be based on an interview in the Silicon Republic.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/40696-the-interview-alex-white/

In the IT article,

The Department of Communications has said it will provide the network of fibre-optic cables to connect rural areas. Whichever operator or operators win the contract will then link rural homes to that network, bringing high-speed broadband the last step of the way to the public.

And in the Silicon Republic article,

White said that while 30Mbps is the bare minimum download speed covered in the plan, because the network will be fibre and because it is going to be technologically neutral, the intervention by the State will mean that commercial operators could ratchet this up using G.Fast and GPON technologies to even higher speeds.

“30Mbps is just a minimum requirement. The technologically neutral aspect of the network means other providers can plug in. When I first came into this office I used to raise an eyebrow at the phrase ‘future-proofed’ (it sounded like ‘state-of-the-art or ‘world class’), but it actually does have real meaning because fibre can take the upgrade. So we could be starting with 30Mbps but in a few years we could be talking 1Gbps. Why not?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interestingly according to the above article, Eircom, BT Ireland and ESB/Vodafone have all expressed interest in bidding for the contract.

In particular ESB IMO.

Also that Minister White seems to be saying explicitly that it will be either GPON or G.Fast FTTH. Very good news, no crappy wireless.

How does the bidding work a sackly is it like the highest paying bidder wins with that money going with the NBP roll out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭skydish79

bk wrote: »
    Interestingly according to the above article, Eircom, BT Ireland and ESB/Vodafone have all expressed interest in bidding for the contract.

In particular ESB IMO.

Also that Minister White seems to be saying explicitly that it will be either GPON or G.Fast FTTH. Very good news, no crappy wireless.

Given the reserves that esb and Vodafone have I'd hope they get the contract

I'd prefer to see a PtP fibre rollout TBH, or at the very least an upgradeable GPON rollout with proper use of ducting to enable an easy upgrade to PtP. If we really want to encourage tech businesses to set up in rural Ireland we need to make it possible to run your own data centre from your home if you so desire.

Also, I'd like if the government got involved in subsidised transit to/from Ireland. No point in domestic Gigabit connectivity if your international links are only running at 10Gbps. Ideally the entirety of the ESB's Emerald Bridge or some number of dark fibres could be regulated to provide cheap transit to the UK. This would probably not be allowed by the EU though.

Well p2p has a distance of 10-40km so that be good for villages and ribbon development close to them were as GPON has 20km distance and WDM PON has 100km which they would most likely use since the distance it gives.I would hope they use p2p and GPON but see them using WDM PON as well.

I only hope LTE A used for the worst cases since download cap aren't really great with price for some of the fixed wireless,useless company like regional broadband can offer the 30mb but higher in future. I think that because wouldn't seem fair if some rural have broadboard up to a 1GP in future and others just say has say 40mb.

It look like vodafone entertaining tv market as well like Eircom doing now
    Independent.ie/business/Irish/vodafone-plans-tv-services-in-Ireland-as-Quad-play-beckons-30992612.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

KOR101 wrote: »

I completely agree with a state sponsored backbone which business can avail of, but this article rips the piss. How can you move into one of the most desolate places in the world, then expect first class broadband infrastructure? Knowing he needed it before he moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I completely agree with a state sponsored backbone which business can avail of, but this article rips the piss. How can you move into one of the most desolate places in the world, then expect first class broadband infrastructure? Knowing he needed it before he moved?

To be honest he sounds like a complete idiot! Surely he had been down to Conemara prior to moving and could have ascertained that the infrastructure wasn't very good down there? Conemara is beautiful but there reaslly isn't the kind of infrastructure there for fast broadband. I mean, any fool would know that after spending a weekend there even! From the sounds of it anyway he'd do OK with mobile broadband and surely he could publish blog updates that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

For the slow lad down the back what does this mean in (preferably) monosyllabic words :)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

So does anyone have any theories behind the current Eircom price increase and the option for getting out of their contract?

Does anyone think something is coming? Perhaps Eircom reckon they're gonna be losing customers soon and will try to cover the damage because maybe they reckon its temporary?

If a price war is the likely outcome of the ESB FTTH rollout, perhaps Eircom simply want to start the war at a higher price?

Would be curious to hear any ideas anyone has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

KoKane wrote: »
    So does anyone have any theories behind the current Eircom price increase and the option for getting out of their contract?

Does anyone think something is coming? Perhaps Eircom reckon they're gonna be losing customers soon and will try to cover the damage because maybe they reckon its temporary?

If a price war is the likely outcome of the ESB FTTH rollout, perhaps Eircom simply want to start the war at a higher price?

In general, when UPC move into a area, Eircom are already in Situ with a DSL product. Eircom then proceed lose accounts hand over fist to UPC.

Keeping that in mind its fair to say that currently, Eircom don't compete with UPC. So its not a bad business decision to raise the prices of their service in areas that they have no competition in to try shore up the revenue.

As cuddlesworth has said, in urban areas UPC destroy eircom. They can turn on 500Mbps in the morning if they like and VDSL averages around 50Mb or so for the same money and worse bundles.

Eircoms footprint is several times that of UPCs though, and most of the cost comes from rural lines where UPC will never touch. The one place they stand to lose ground though is to mobile and FWA providers on longer DSL lines way out in the sticks, but these lines lose money anways so no biggie.

If they can shed a few "toxic" lines and increase monthly revenue then they'll be in a better position financially to push GPON FTTH and maybe start to compete in urban areas. When they've finished the VDSL cabs they'll be poised to rapidly deploy GPON.

KoKane wrote: »

I'm open to correction on this, but doesn't eircom wholesale charge for backhaul on a 95th percentile usage basis? People are probably using more and more data now?

Operators probably have to make upgrades to interconnections as well, which increases costs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ED E wrote: »

I'm very surprised that Eircom want to open up their ducts to other companies!

I wonder are they looking to do this to use as leverage to force the ESB to do the same and allow Eircom access to their ducts and poles.

Of course the devil will be in the detail on how this is priced etc. For instance they could open up access, but price it so high that no one can afford to use.

I'm sure UPC will be very interested in this. Could help them reach new customers more cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I wonder are they looking to do this to use as leverage to force the ESB to do the same and allow Eircom access to their ducts and poles.
    I'd say that's it exactly. We all know in urban areas the duct networks are probably more or less equivalent so the ESB won't be bothered using Eircom ducts in most cases, BUT in areas with overhead supply the Eircom lines are barely able to stay up without adding any fibre gear. They are simply not a solid foundation upon which to run FTTH. In contrast (and probably because electricity is actually dangerous) the ESB's overhead network is in excellent shape and would be well able to carry the fibre load without needing any remedial works. That would make stringing fibre over their network significantly cheaper I believe.

The UPC component is interesting however as they don't have much to "lose" (no overhead network and their typical setup where the cable runs along the fascia boards of houses will not become open access as home owners won't allow it. Where UPC have ducts (in newer developments) you'll also find ESB and Eircom ducts, so they won't be any use to anyone else really.

UPC could massively expand if this happens, which would be great for the consumer. let's face it, Eircom built many of those ducts as a state entity. They morally at least belong to the people and should be used (like the ESB ones) to provide the best service to the people by whomever that may be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Of course the devil will be in the detail on how this is priced etc. For instance they could open up access, but price it so high that no one can afford to use.

It will be a regulated product so there is no way ComReg will let them price it high. It will have to be cost justified and signed off by ComReg's pricing team as with all eircom Wholesale regulated products.

Hackery wrote: »
    It will be a regulated product so there is no way ComReg will let them price it high. It will have to be cost justified and signed off by ComReg's pricing team as with all eircom Wholesale regulated products.

Comreg's pricing team has been signing off on one of the highest line rentals in the world for the past decade, so that doesn't give me much comfort!

Eu funding 820.2 million for eu structural fund for Ireland how much will go to broadband I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bookies Twist

Thats a good question , but wasn't there a recent report of Brendan Howlin getting €450 million of the E.U . for broadband which would enable broadband to be rolled out as soon as possible. I hope that it is as I live in a rural area, cannot get Eircom broadband of any category. Mobile broadband is not very good. Satellite broadband would be too expensive for me. I have 3 mobile broadband at the moment with 60 GB download per month. But I also have 4 teenagers who eat a massive amount of my monthly allowence. My monthly bills are often well above the €35 euro . My last one was €129. According to the map on the government new National Broadband scheme, we are in the NBS area. So hopefully we might some decent broadband.

• Advertisement

The NBS was ceased. Its the NBP maps you need to be looking at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement