Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Underrated Band

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The jesus and mary chain.

Some of the bands being mentioned like the kinks, the doors and the pixies were and are massive and I cant see how they could be considered under rated, the pixies and the ramones while I like them have to be amongst the most over rated bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Yeh in confused as well ,I don't think most people read the description on the thread ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Kerbdog,an irish band that really should have made it

Its good to see them back gigging again though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Did they not play the point last year? Hard to say they're under rated if they can pull that sort of crowd

I would say that they have a really strong loyal fanbase but are somehow not that well known. They are kind of a marmite band "you either love them or you haven't heard of them" and a lot of people haven't heard of them in my experience. I can count on two hands (not using binary or anything fancy either) the number of people I know who know of The National. So often I get a blank look when I mention them. They have almost zero radio coverage and it's only their last two albums that broke into the top 5 on the Irish charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Not sure if they've been mentioned already but Mellow Candle were a great Irish prog rock band which sank without trace in the 1970s but have gained cult status in the past few years, particularly in Japan for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Stereophonics. Seen them at least 20 times. Great live, great songs, Kelly Jones has some voice.

I think they're over-rated tbh. Bland pub rock with the odd decent single. No offense.

crockholm wrote: »
    Alice In Chains. They were big in the 90s,but much less appreciated than Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Hugely under-rated in the UK and Ireland for sure, but I think they are/were a lot more popular in the US (though arguably under-rated even there compared to Nirvana and Pearl Jam).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Department S - Never made it big despite having some great sharp pop songs

Ceremony - A great shoegaze group who seem to be pretty much unknown, I don't think they even have much of a web presence to promote the group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Can we settle on Talk Talk being the winners? ;)
    Ceremony - A great shoegaze group who seem to be pretty much unknown, I don't think they even have much of a web presence to promote the group
    What's eclipsing them even from modest cult success is that's there's another band called Ceremony who are more popular than them. I got hold of their album Rocket Fire back in 2010 and thought it was good enough but not pushing the boundaries of shoegaze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

The mighty Bolt Thrower!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Can we settle on Talk Talk being the winners? ;)

What's eclipsing them even from modest cult success is that's there's another band called Ceremony who are more popular than them. I got hold of their album Rocket Fire back in 2010 and thought it was good enough but not pushing the boundaries of shoegaze.

I get it.. You're a Mod and you want to close a thread.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Another band which should be way bigger than they are (perhaps due to the non radio-friendly name) are Heartless Bastards, an Ohio band fronted by the wonderful Erika Wennerstrom. She's one of my favourite female vocalists, with a voice which sounds like a cross between Gillian Welch & the late Bon Scott of AC/DC. They really deserve a wider audience than they have.

Going back a few decades someone who is far more well known but still underrated in my opinion is Iggy Pop & his band The Stooges. Listening to the album "Raw Power" it's easy to forget that this was made in 1973, 4 years before the Sex Pistols came on to the scene & a year before The Ramones were founded. This is a punk/punk-rock album before anyone was even using those terms. While Iggy has certainly enjoyed success over the years I don't think he's been properly recognised as the musical pioneer he was & what musical landmarks those early albums were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I rarely see Yo La Tengo get the credit they deserve. They've at least 4 near perfect albums imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I'd say "overlooked" or "forgotten" as opposed to underrated.

Anyways. Television.

Was going to post up "Days" instead of the sublime classic "Marquee Moon".

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

Wilco are fantastic.
    this song, is awesome

Jesus, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVC1k9x2Ryw

just my two cents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Super Furry Animals (RIP). Always bubbling under threatening to become huge but never quite made that breakthrough to the mainstream.
    I somehow don't think we've heard the last of them but yeah, i still can't understand how they never got huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Kettleson wrote: »
    I'd say "overlooked" or "forgotten" as opposed to underrated.

Anyways. Television.

Was going to post up "Days" instead of the sublime classic "Marquee Moon".

100%, that album, that title track. Wow! Saw them play it last year, really stood up live too.

Loads of great bands from around that time too.

The Modern Lovers:

The New York Dolls:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

Faith No More

• Advertisement

Here's mine.

For sure...but I would limit that to the first album. Couldn't put the desperately overproduced Golden Brown into that category.

Same for the Ramones with me, first 2 albums, classic, maybe squeeze in Rocket to Russia, after that...fade away.

The totally bare recording and production of Rattus was jaw dropping then and still is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Big Star. When we speak of underrated bands there can only be one.

Such a weepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

From the north of Ireland, The Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Kettleson wrote: »
    ......Television.

Interesting, will check them out a bit more later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 slightly_broke

fleetwood mac

while not the beatles , the smiths or bowie

they were unfortunate in that they were at their peak around the time that punk exploded so immedietly go labelled as super NAFF

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ah jesus, Fleetwood Mac are almost universally adored.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 slightly_broke

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Ah jesus, Fleetwood Mac are almost universally adored.

when ( bar when peter greene was at the head prior to the mid seventies ) were they ever seen as remotely cool

i like them but rock journalist really dont rate them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

when ( bar when peter greene was at the head prior to the mid seventies ) were they ever seen as remotely cool

i like them but rock journalist really dont rate them at all

Rumours is universally adored by every music journalist ever and regularly features in best albums of all time lists.
    And Tango in the Night was a huge seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

I'm goin to follow the general drift of this thread and say Led Zepplin and The Beatles :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Husker Du.

Still am amazed by the roller coaster Zen Arcade with ear phones and cranked up loud.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kTjfl0yhyRk

Advertisement