Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMA Forum Charter and "Plan" discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

mike_ie wrote: »
    As risk of repeating what countless others have been trying to say, it's not what was asked, but how it was asked, and if indeed, it was a question at all, rather than a thinly veiled dig at the travelling community under the guise of "well OP, you did sign up to have questions asked, and we have a RIGHT TO KNOW..."

Question. And a reasonable one, which the OP may or may not choose to answer.

Insinuation.

Insinuation/accusation.

Being a dick, full stop.

The fact that this needs to be explained in black and white, and yet is still beyond the grasp of some people, is quite frankly, worrying. And says a lot more about the person asking these 'questions', than the person who signed up for the AMA to begin with.

That's not insinuation? It's well known that travellers make out they get an income from scrap. So asking the question in that way is valid.

Asking how someone has a car worth 100k with no employment is yet another valid question.

Last point you made, people are allowed to have an opinion. If that's someones views then they should be allowed say them. It's not being a dick, it's being honest. Do you want to censor honest opinions now and make it come across that there's no judgement of travellers and everyone gets on great?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Asking how someone has a car worth 100k with no employment is yet another valid question.

So walk into any halting site and ask any lad there.

No?

Thought not.

Neyite wrote: »

No?

Thought not.

If a traveler offered themselves to be put on stage to answer questions then yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Gits_bone wrote: »

Neyite wrote: »

No?

Thought not.

You should do it, Gits_bone.
    I doubt any violence would occur, as it would be so out of character.

mikom wrote: »
    You should do it, Gits_bone.
    I doubt any violence would occur, as it would be so out of character.

Post of the Day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

1) Ask Me Anything. It does not say, and I'm repeating myself here, "I will answer everything" for a reason. No one has the right to demand answers off another person here on this forum. No one. That's how this forum has been set up right from the very start.

2) "All we did was ask general questions" is simply not true. Had one person asked, and accepted the perfectly reasonable answer given, that would've been that. But a mob formed and we were met with increasingly hostile phrasing and accusatory language - Mike highlighted just how much above. Do you know how many posts Niamh and I deleted before posting that warning? 21. On a thread that had 140 posts at the time. 15% of the thread had to be deleted. So were warnings needed? You're damn right they were. Did any of the mob pay attention? No. It's likely that we're simply going to have to have the forum operate on a pre-moderated basis because of these people. The very first post of *this* thread has all these rules clearly written. If anything we were far too lenient on the mob.

3)
    People have these attitudes for a reason - and that lies solely with the travelling community.
    is one of the most bitterly disappointing things I have ever read on this site. Are we suggesting that a community of people having some sort of mind control over another human and bending their thoughts against their will? :rolleyes: That someone felt they could justifiably say that of any minority group and that others would join in agreeing with the sentiment is shameful.

We're done with this topic, it's over. Any more talk on it will just be removed, I've indulged the discussion far more than it deserves on this thread. I've never once in my almost 37 years on this planet had a good experience with any members of the Traveller Community until I spoke to this lady about doing the AMA, and have been guiltier than many when it comes to making terrible blanket accusations against them. However, none of those people in my past were the lady who decided to step in and answer questions for those of us who wanted to learn why we have such radically differing cultures that are equally Irish. I'm honestly ashamed of how this lady was treated by some of the members of this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've been thinking about this.

In Human Rights education as a way of increasing understanding between people there is the concept of a living library where people actually go and physically talk to someone. I think in Sweden someone dubbed the project lend a lesbian.

In some ways I think typing responses on a messageboard is great but you still dont quite get the humanising aspect of it.

I wonder if perhaps and/or some of the respondents might consider that some reponses could be given via youtube.

I think in a way that responding in a video might be more humanising. I know when I read the man with 2 mothers story I was engaged but I found it more interesting when I saw the guys photo.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Maybe this isn't the place for this, but I wanted to mention that the AMA forum isn't on the dropdown list of Sys forums at the top of the page. The first forum listed is Announcements, then Awards.

Maybe that's intentional, I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

osarusan wrote: »
    Maybe this isn't the place for this, but I wanted to mention that the AMA forum isn't on the dropdown list of Sys forums at the top of the page. The first forum listed is Announcements, then Awards.

Maybe that's intentional, I'm not sure.

I can see it on the drop down list.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I can see it on the drop down list.

Oh really?

I am using the older vb version still, so maybe that explains it?

• Advertisement

Oh really?

I'm on the newer version alright. I'm using Safari on an ipad right now.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Oh really?

Older skins don't update the forum lists when new forums are added.

It's what finally got me to switch over :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Is the sys category really where this forum should be? I wasn't aware of it's existence until I saw someone mention it elsewhere on boards. So then I went to look for it and couldn't find it because the last place I would have looked was under sys. I only found it through a search.

Wouldn't soc be a much more appropriate category for it to be under? It's completely hidden away where it is.

I assume (possibly incorrectly) that the reason it's here is because of the strict moderation, but couldn't that still be achieved in a different category where it's much more visible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It's in the Sys category because the office is directly managing the forum. So it's a part of Boards.ie infrastructure in a sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Any chance of a convicted murderer AMA? That would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Luke92 wrote: »
    Any chance of a convicted murderer AMA? That would be different.

With respect, this would be wrong on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

John_D80 wrote: »
    With respect, this would be wrong on so many levels.

Also, any AMA that hasn't been done yet would be 'different'.

For example, getting Donovan back to actually engage?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Are there anymore lined up?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm sure there's a few of these on boards and it would be interesting to hear from:

*A taxi driver
    *A farmer
    *A serving member of the Defence Forces

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Dav wrote: »
    It's in the Sys category because the office is directly managing the forum. So it's a part of Boards.ie infrastructure in a sense.

Going by that logic shouldn't the "Call of Duty" forum be under the Region>South West category because the forum mod is from Ballydehob*?

The previous poster has a point, it is hidden away here in a category that has nothing to do with the board's content.

Put it under Soc or at least put a link to it in there and it should liven up a bit.

*May not be true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

AMA Epilepsy would be very interesting for me as we mostly have no idea of signs and what to do if you see the average Joe Soap having a Seizure

Maybe get someone from Epilepsy Ireland onboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'd like to see some ama's with foreign nationals living in Ireland and how they find it. Could try find an American,African,Asian,European, Etc. Then maybe a few with Irish people living in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Hi Dav\Niamh, are there anymore lined up?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

As this week is carer's week maybe you get an AMA up and running with someone who is a carer?

Would be interesting to see what their lives are like on a day to day basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ken wrote: »
    Then maybe a few with Irish people living in other countries.

I put my hand up for that... No response yet but the email to say thanks and we've got loads and working through them.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hope there's something set up soon, forum was starting to gain some momentum, the last 2 were 2 of the most poplar in terms of posts so far.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

A garda would be interesting.

Someone who works in animal rescue or for an animal charity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Someone who works in animal rescue or for an animal charity.
    You might as well ask for a politician because you get same if not more politics, backstabbing and drama going on (and yes I do work for a rescue) :P.

• Advertisement

Probably asked and answered before, but say if someone wants to do an AMA on something, but wants to keep their identities hidden - would you allow them to create throwaway accounts in order to do the AMA.

I just think it would open up a lot of interesting discussions.

Advertisement