Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMA Forum Charter and "Plan" discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

The scary thing is that people really dont see that they are holding a bigoted view, they actually think that it is ok to say the things they said. This was said:
    People have these attitudes for a reason - and that lies solely with the travelling community.

Imagine it as this:
    People have these attitudes for a reason - and that lies solely with the black south african.

Or this:
    People have these attitudes for a reason - and that lies solely with the homosexuals.

I mean seriously? Imagine a gay man being bombarded with accusatory questions pertaining to a gay stereotype?

Q1: So do most gay people like bathhouse type establishments?
    Q2: How do you feel about the amount of promiscuity within the gay community?
    Answer: I cant speak for other gay people, Im not promiscuous myself.
    Q3: Why dont gay people want to be in monogomous relationships?
    Q4: Do you think most gay people want gay marriage or do they prefer to sleep around a lot?

I mean - thats the type of nonsense TG had to suffer, except the questions were framed around a negative stereotype of travellers and their income rather than a negative stereotype of gay people and their promiscuity.

Anyone who was hammering at that line of questioning need to take a long hard look at themselves imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Vic_08 wrote: »
    It is "Ask Me Anything" not "I Will Answer Everything".

The girl was asked questions about income and she gave an answer, the only people that got banned were those that would not accept they were not going to get an answer that they liked on the topic.

Asking the question was fine, repeatedly asking it after it was clear she was not going to answer to your satisfaction and harassing her about the topic was not OK.

Bans were threatened to people who asked the question I think, there was a mod warning. And how is asking someone a question that wasn't answered considered harassment? People mentioned she was ducking and diving. I believe she was. She didn't answer a question about her own income either.

If she didn't want to answer, fine. But to have a mod come in and tell people to stop asking and threatening bans is poor form.
    Gordon wrote: »
    Considering Enda Kenny is paid to answer the public's questions, and people on AMA are not, but instead doing so out of their own volition, revealing as much private details as they wish or are able to reveal.

No, just don't be a dick, that's all we ask. If you are a dick, you get banned.

Unfortunately don't be a dick is outdated. We all have different views so what everyone considers a dick is different. I don't consider asking questions like many people asked yesterday as dickish.

PS. If Enda Kenny did an AMA he would not be paid to answer the questions as it would be voluntary. Are you saying if people asked about his income and he didn't answer mods would threaten bans to people who asked?

MrWalsh wrote: »
    The scary thing is that people really dont see that they are holding a bigoted view, they actually think that it is ok to say the things they said. This was said:

Imagine it as this:

Or this:

I mean seriously? Imagine a gay man being bombarded with accusatory questions pertaining to a gay stereotype?

Q1: So do most gay people like bathhouse type establishments?
    Q2: How do you feel about the amount of promiscuity within the gay community?
    Answer: I cant speak for other gay people, Im not promiscuous myself.
    Q3: Why dont gay people want to be in monogomous relationships?
    Q4: Do you think most gay people want gay marriage or do they prefer to sleep around a lot?

I mean - thats the type of nonsense TG had to suffer, except the questions were framed around a negative stereotype of travellers and their income rather than a negative stereotype of gay people and their promiscuity.

Anyone who was hammering at that line of questioning need to take a long hard look at themselves imo.

She was asked about her own income as well and didn't answer.

Asking "How do some travellers afford 100k cars?" is a perfectly reasonable question.

She is a traveller so it would be expected that she would know some travellers.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    She was asked about her own income as well and didn't answer.

Asking "How do some travellers afford 100k cars?" is a perfectly reasonable question.

She is a traveller so it would be expected that she would know some travellers.

She is not required to answer every question.

While one question taken out of context might seem reasonable, I think you are doing some serious burying the head in the sand in relation to how the questions were being framed and asked by multiple posters on that thread.

Youre trying to justify bigotry. There is no justification.

She is not required to answer every question.

While one question taken out of context might seem reasonable, I think you are doing some serious burying the head in the sand in relation to how the questions were being framed and asked by multiple posters on that thread.

Youre trying to justify bigotry. There is no justification.

Asking questions shouldn't be met with a ban.

It was a fantastic chance to dispel some ideas of settled people.

Perhaps by not saying anything, we might have got an answer after all.

And I don't hear you giving out about mars bars post which was stereotyping.

• Advertisement

Asking questions shouldn't be met with a ban.

Displaying bigotry should be met with a ban imo. Its muppetry, its being a dick, and it should be roundly discouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Numerous mod warnings about the questions. This site is moderated. Always has been. If you don't agree with the moderation then don't use boards. Simple solution.

Luke92 wrote: »
    Numerous mod warnings about the questions. This site is moderated. Always has been. If you don't agree with the moderation then don't use boards. Simple solution.

I'm giving feedback.

Change the name of the forum.

I'm giving feedback.

To what?

To what?

Questions and Answers

• Advertisement

Questions and Answers

How is that going to keep the bigotry down?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No one will bother to volunteer for AMA if they are going to be open to abuse. Could questions not be submitted first, only printed if approved and then the volunteers can choose which to answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

eviltwin wrote: »
    No one will bother to volunteer for AMA if they are going to be open to abuse. Could questions not be submitted first, only printed if approved and then the volunteers can choose which to answer?

Great idea..........
    Sounds like an Enda Kenny AMA.

mikom wrote: »
    Great idea..........
    Sounds like an Enda Kenny AMA.

Or we can continue as is and anyone with a decent story to tell won't bother. It happened to the traveller thread and to the one with the son of a same sex couple. If someone is good enough to volunteer they should be protected.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'm giving feedback.

>>> Feedback forum.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Or we can continue as is and anyone with a decent story to tell won't bother. It happened to the traveller thread and to the one with the son of a same sex couple. If someone is good enough to volunteer they should be protected.

No point having an AMA where you can't ask the questions you would like to know the answer to the most.

No point having an AMA where you can't ask the questions you would like to know the answer to the most.

They werent the questions I wanted to know the answer to the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Good ol trusty gits bone up to his usual self again .

I'm talking more about the phrasing of questions than the questions themselves and the way some people didn't ask questions at all but used the thread to criticize - thinking of the poster with two mums specifically.

Good ol trusty gits bone up to his usual self again .

I'm surprised you didn't come in with a childish comment abouts gowls or something like you always post in the Utd thread.

Great feedback on the forum though. Top notch.

• Advertisement

They werent the questions I wanted to know the answer to the most.

It was for a lot of people, hence why it was asked so often.

I'm surprised you didn't come in with a childish comment abouts gowls or something like you always post in the Utd thread.

Great feedback on the forum though. Top notch.

Ahhh good ol deflection.

Well if you want to bring up other forums, why don't you post there?
    You have a history of not being a credible poster.

But forum feedback. You can ask anything you want within the remit of the site, don't be surprised if someone dosent want to answer a question. They don't have to, do you want someone to answer every single question?

It was for a lot of people, hence why it was asked so often.

No - it was asked so often because bigots were using the AMA as an opportunity to display some "justified" bigotry.

Ahhh good ol deflection.

Well if you want to bring up other forums, why don't you post there?
    You have a history of not being a credible poster.

But forum feedback. You can ask anything you want within the remit of the site, don't be surprised if someone dosent want to answer a question. They don't have to, do you want someone to answer every single question?

Clearly you can't ask anything you want.

You could at least read a few posts in the thread before trying to feign feedback just to have a pop at me.

No - it was asked so often because bigots were using the AMA as an opportunity to display some "justified" bigotry.

Asking someone where they get their income and clear dodging of the question so it keeps popping up because others would like to know the answer too is bigotry?

Clearly you can't ask anything you want.

You could at least read a few posts in the thread before trying to feign feedback just to have a pop at me.

Yes. Obviously you can't ask anything you want.

Why can't you see that? It's not your site and harassing people will be punished

Asking someone where they get their income and clear dodging of the question so it keeps popping up because others would like to know the answer too is bigotry?

Then just take it as it is. Make up your own implication

Again Gits_bone, you are ignoring the context and tone of the questions.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

As risk of repeating what countless others have been trying to say, it's not what was asked, but how it was asked, and if indeed, it was a question at all, rather than a thinly veiled dig at the travelling community under the guise of "well OP, you did sign up to have questions asked, and we have a RIGHT TO KNOW..."

TravellerGirl, are either yourself or your partner in paid employment currently. If not, what do ye see as your future prospects for earning a living?
    Question. And a reasonable one, which the OP may or may not choose to answer.
    How can some travellers afford €100,000 cars without actually having employment?
    Insinuation.
    Hi op,How come travellers tend to have large cashflows and drive big new cars,designer clothes etc without being employed? Is there that much of a return in scrap metal collection?
    Insinuation/accusation.
    IMO the settled community would be a whole lot more open to accepting travellers if a high (higher than settled) proportion of your community were not as prone to stealing, fighting and treating the countryside like a tip.
    Being a dick, full stop.

The fact that this needs to be explained in black and white, and yet is still beyond the grasp of some people, is quite frankly, worrying. And says a lot more about the person asking these 'questions', than the person who signed up for the AMA to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mike_ie wrote: »
    Quote:
    TravellerGirl, are either yourself or your partner in paid employment currently. If not, what do ye see as your future prospects for earning a living?

That was my one.
    Needless to say it was not answered.

Advertisement