Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best golf course in YOUR county

• 17-11-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

In the interests of tapping into local knowledge.

Name your county, and name the best course in your county. If you feel like it, explain your choice.

But please, no lists, no second places, no coin tosses, no parklands vs links, no sitting on fences. Just an outright opinion which can be compared to another boardsie's opinion.

The one course in your county that you most enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭thewobbler

County: Down
    Course: Royal County Down

An easy choice for me.

There's an odd thing when rating courses that you can overlook weaknesses when it suits. RCD has a crap finish. 18 isn't is bad as some say, but 17 is a brutal hole, 16 is as easy a birdie opportunity as there is in championship golf, and 15 feels like you've temporarily visited a different course. It's not even the views that do it for me. It's something magical... there is nothing on this earth quite like the feeling of RCD's turf underfoot. It's more than conditioning, it's just hallowed ground. 2nd, 3rd, 8th, 9th and 11th are magical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Cork - Fota (Deerpark)
    Kerry - Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Louth- Baltray....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

cairny wrote: »
    Cork - Fota (Deerpark)

Is the Old Head better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Dublin

Links - The Island
    Parkland - Luttrellstown

Have not played too many courses on south side.

There are lots of good courses in Dublin - but only a few Great course (imo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭BOB81

Meath - headfort new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Is the Old Head better?

Nah....More spectacular surroundings, with some wow holes but there's something not quite right about it, not quite a proper links, feels a bit forced to me. Mind you I've only played it once so maybe it's a grower.

Not being able to play it regularly adds to the hype / mystique I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Monaghan - Concra wood. By miles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I flip between Kildare and Dublin, so will have to name two!

Kildare: The K Club.

Dublin: The Island. Just a touch fresher in my mind than Portmarnock. Both are quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thoscon

Meath : Rathcore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Tipperary- Clonmel

technically in waterford but we'll call it tipp,some spectacular holes and views.the par 3 14th is an epic hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

galway - galway bay golf resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Donegal - Murvagh

There are plenty of people who could say there are 4/5 courses better than Murvagh in Donegal, but there's just something very special about that course, given the opportunity to play any of them on any day, I would always pick Murvagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Dublin - Portmarnock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Another for Portmarnock.
    just a good tough course.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

Cavan - slieve russell without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭whitefoot

Louth - Seapoint

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Westmeath, New Forest, course maturing nicely, always a challenge, in good nick always, practice area going in and quiet too. Mullingar in the mix too but too wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 oldjeep

Portumna: for 1. friendly, 2. value, 3. good course, 4. trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Wexford:

Links: Rosslare (the only links)
    Parkland: Bunclody (and before anybody says it's in Carlow... it isn't)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Clare - lahinch championship

Best course in Ireland imo

• Registered Users Posts: 24 oldjeep

I agree with Lahinch being the best links, very special, but you need to play any golf course at least 3-5 times before giving judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

Cork Fota Deerpark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭big_drive

Cork - Fota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Cork - Old Head

Courses like Fota are a dime a dozen. It would be hard to find a more unique course in Ireland than the Old Head. Walking around from the 1st green to the 2nd tee-box and seeing the spectacular coastline come into view - never gets old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

Laois - The Heath.

a good test of golf, despite the sheep poo.

Portarlington a close second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'm in between two counties....

Tipperary - Dundrum house

Mayo - ballinrobe

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

Waterford - Tramore. Since the upgrades it's definitely the course with the most challenges. Some other good, very enjoyable courses in the county, but I think Tramore is a step up from the others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I work in Offaly so have to say Tullamore for here.

From Roscommon and have only played Athlone but am going to mention it anyway as its an excellent but very tough course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

I live on the Sligo/Mayo border but, have played nearly every course in the area.

Agree fully with Buddy Holly, Ballinrobe is the best course in Mayo hands down, beautiful parkland, very tough rough, long enough course with great greens and some water features. But if you want unbelievable greens, go to Castlebar.

Best course in Sligo.... Hmmm... There are a few options, Rosses Point, Castle Dargan, Enniscrone. Being a member of Enniscrone myself, I can safely say you will find struggle to find a more difficult course in the country. If you don't hit the ball straight, it's lost.. It is a real challenge for any golfer, no matter how good they are.

To the Laois crew out there, what do ye think of Portarlington? I must say I was highly impressed with the course when I played it, so well kept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭SEORG

Limerick - Adare

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

2 counties for me too

Tipp-dundrum
    Kerry-tralee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Kerry - Dooks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭jarvis_c82

I'm in 2 counties, parents live in one and I live in the other.

Clare - Lahinch Old Course, just stunning, play everytime I'm down home. Just the wildness of the course at times.

Meath - Headfort New. Just a great round with some great holes, not many poor or un-inspiring holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Cork
    The Island ie Cork Golf Club

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

Dbu wrote: »
    Cork
    The Island ie Cork Golf Club

I mean I think I know what you meant the first time Roysh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Mayo Have to Say Carne, a few shouts for Ballinrobe which is the best parkland.
    Dublin The Island

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I work in Offaly so have to say Tullamore for here.

From Roscommon and have only played Athlone but am going to mention it anyway as its an excellent but very tough course.

Offaly - Esker Hills

I was a member of Tullamore as a juvenille, pre-changes so maybe I played it too often.
    Birr was always too long to be fun, too many long par 4's back into the prevailing wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Layinghen wrote: »
    Kerry - Dooks

I would have at least 5 courses ahead of Dooks in Kerry

Waterville, Tralee, Ballybunion x 2, Killarney Killeen & possibly Mahony's Point

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Wexford:

Links: Rosslare (the only links)
    Parkland: Bunclody (and before anybody says it's in Carlow... it isn't)

I'm afraid you are wrong there Kevin. Bunclody and every last blade of grass on the course is in County Carlow. The river that flows down beside the 6th 8th 16th and 17th is the river Slaney and that is the boundary between the counties Carlow and Wexford. Our county is small enough without more of it being pinched off us. And Carlow is the best course in Carlow

• Advertisement

yettie1701 wrote: »
    I'm afraid you are wrong there Kevin. Bunclody and every last blade of grass on the course is in County Carlow. The river that flows down beside the 6th 8th 16th and 17th is the river Slaney and that is the boundary between the counties Carlow and Wexford. Our county is small enough without more of it being pinched off us. And Carlow is the best course in Carlow

This will be interesting - rare Kevin gets his Geography wrong.

As a Dub :o I would have said Wexford - but would go with the local.
    I guess it is one of them where the town in in one county the course another ? - happens a good bit in Ireland.

cgh wrote: »
    Laois - The Heath.

a good test of golf, despite the sheep poo.

Portarlington a close second

Ballsy call to put The Heath up.
    I've played all the courses in Laois and was often thinking what the locals think of the Heath. I like old unusual courses like that. But - I've unusual taste in courses.
    The greens were not the best the last time I played it.

I'd imagine most Laois men would put up The Heritage followed by Portarlington ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,285 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Louth -- Baltray

For scenery and friendliness --- Greenore.

yettie1701 wrote: »
    This will be interesting - rare Kevin gets his Geography wrong.

As a Dub :o and I would have said Wexford - but would go with the local.
    I guess it is one of them where the town in in one county the course another ? - happens a good bit in Ireland.

Hmmm, fair enough Yettie, but the golf course's website lists 'Co. Wexford' as its address... so that's what I've been using. I even asked them when I was up there in April. I think you should mount an invasion to take it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭thewobbler

As with most pub quizzes, Google tends to be the most trustworthy of adjudicators.

Given how parochial we all are about our county borders, it's interesting that Bunclody have 'gone Wexford'. I'd guess that the relevant tourism positioning of each county might provide the biggest clue.

Looks like you've a new choice to make Kevin :)

Enjoying these answers. Fota and the Island are now on the must-play-next-year list.

I'm sure there are load - but New Ross Golf club is in Waterford. When you think it is in Wexford.

I'd imagine there are some in 2 counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Kilkenny: Mount Juliet

FWIW: Played Fota twice this year and don't understand the fuss, fairly bland parkland IMO...

I'm sure there are load - but New Ross Golf club is in Waterford. When you think it is in Wexford.

I'd imagine there are some in 2 counties.

And again, Fix, the address is listed on their website as Wexford. Perhaps Wexford is just that much more attractive. Seeing as that's where I live, I can understand their rationale!

thewobbler wrote: »
    As with most pub quizzes, Google tends to be the most trustworthy of adjudicators.

Given how parochial we all are about our county borders, it's interesting that Bunclody have 'gone Wexford'. I'd guess that the relevant tourism positioning of each county might provide the biggest clue.

Looks like you've a new choice to make Kevin :)

Interesting that... based on that image the entrance to the club (directly opposite the Millrace hotel) might, just might be in Co Wexford. What the hell, we'll claim it! Sorry Yettie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

A bit like Waterford train station is in Kilkenny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Cork - Fota Deerpark
    Kerry - Kileens
    Waterford - Waterford Castle

• Advertisement
Advertisement