Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best golf course in YOUR county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭SEORG

Limerick - Adare

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭plumber77

2 counties for me too

Tipp-dundrum
    Kerry-tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Kerry - Dooks

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jarvis_c82

I'm in 2 counties, parents live in one and I live in the other.

Clare - Lahinch Old Course, just stunning, play everytime I'm down home. Just the wildness of the course at times.

Meath - Headfort New. Just a great round with some great holes, not many poor or un-inspiring holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Cork
    The Island ie Cork Golf Club

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

Dbu wrote: »
    Cork
    The Island ie Cork Golf Club

I mean I think I know what you meant the first time Roysh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Mayo Have to Say Carne, a few shouts for Ballinrobe which is the best parkland.
    Dublin The Island

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I work in Offaly so have to say Tullamore for here.

From Roscommon and have only played Athlone but am going to mention it anyway as its an excellent but very tough course.

Offaly - Esker Hills

I was a member of Tullamore as a juvenille, pre-changes so maybe I played it too often.
    Birr was always too long to be fun, too many long par 4's back into the prevailing wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Layinghen wrote: »
    Kerry - Dooks

I would have at least 5 courses ahead of Dooks in Kerry

Waterville, Tralee, Ballybunion x 2, Killarney Killeen & possibly Mahony's Point

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Wexford:

Links: Rosslare (the only links)
    Parkland: Bunclody (and before anybody says it's in Carlow... it isn't)

I'm afraid you are wrong there Kevin. Bunclody and every last blade of grass on the course is in County Carlow. The river that flows down beside the 6th 8th 16th and 17th is the river Slaney and that is the boundary between the counties Carlow and Wexford. Our county is small enough without more of it being pinched off us. And Carlow is the best course in Carlow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

yettie1701 wrote: »
    I'm afraid you are wrong there Kevin. Bunclody and every last blade of grass on the course is in County Carlow. The river that flows down beside the 6th 8th 16th and 17th is the river Slaney and that is the boundary between the counties Carlow and Wexford. Our county is small enough without more of it being pinched off us. And Carlow is the best course in Carlow

This will be interesting - rare Kevin gets his Geography wrong.

As a Dub :o I would have said Wexford - but would go with the local.
    I guess it is one of them where the town in in one county the course another ? - happens a good bit in Ireland.

cgh wrote: »
    Laois - The Heath.

a good test of golf, despite the sheep poo.

Portarlington a close second

Ballsy call to put The Heath up.
    I've played all the courses in Laois and was often thinking what the locals think of the Heath. I like old unusual courses like that. But - I've unusual taste in courses.
    The greens were not the best the last time I played it.

I'd imagine most Laois men would put up The Heritage followed by Portarlington ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,631 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Louth -- Baltray

For scenery and friendliness --- Greenore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

yettie1701 wrote: »
    This will be interesting - rare Kevin gets his Geography wrong.

As a Dub :o and I would have said Wexford - but would go with the local.
    I guess it is one of them where the town in in one county the course another ? - happens a good bit in Ireland.

Hmmm, fair enough Yettie, but the golf course's website lists 'Co. Wexford' as its address... so that's what I've been using. I even asked them when I was up there in April. I think you should mount an invasion to take it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

As with most pub quizzes, Google tends to be the most trustworthy of adjudicators.

Given how parochial we all are about our county borders, it's interesting that Bunclody have 'gone Wexford'. I'd guess that the relevant tourism positioning of each county might provide the biggest clue.

Looks like you've a new choice to make Kevin :)

Enjoying these answers. Fota and the Island are now on the must-play-next-year list.

I'm sure there are load - but New Ross Golf club is in Waterford. When you think it is in Wexford.

I'd imagine there are some in 2 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Kilkenny: Mount Juliet

FWIW: Played Fota twice this year and don't understand the fuss, fairly bland parkland IMO...

I'm sure there are load - but New Ross Golf club is in Waterford. When you think it is in Wexford.

And again, Fix, the address is listed on their website as Wexford. Perhaps Wexford is just that much more attractive. Seeing as that's where I live, I can understand their rationale!

thewobbler wrote: »
    As with most pub quizzes, Google tends to be the most trustworthy of adjudicators.

Given how parochial we all are about our county borders, it's interesting that Bunclody have 'gone Wexford'. I'd guess that the relevant tourism positioning of each county might provide the biggest clue.

Looks like you've a new choice to make Kevin :)

Interesting that... based on that image the entrance to the club (directly opposite the Millrace hotel) might, just might be in Co Wexford. What the hell, we'll claim it! Sorry Yettie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

A bit like Waterford train station is in Kilkenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Cork - Fota Deerpark
    Kerry - Kileens
    Waterford - Waterford Castle

• Advertisement

Sure - I almost put Palmerstown up for Dublin the other day - I would have got murdered - realised it is - about 2 miles in it.

But it was the Palmerstown Dublin that got me.

Parish and county debates - many a blood has been lost on GAA pitches over this.

Something in my head there is a course in 2. May have read it in your book Kevin. Mabye not. Maybe it is just a few course you can see counties from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Galway Golf Club

Sure - I almost put Palmerstown up for Dublin the other day - I would have got murdered - realised it is - about 2 miles in it.

But it was the Palmerstown Dublin that got me.

Parish and county debates - many a blood has been lost on GAA pitches over this.

Something in my head there is a course in 2. May have read it in your book Kevin. Mabye not. Maybe it is just a few course you can see counties from.

Maybe Carrick on Shannon, Fix. It's claimed that every county in Ireland has a golf course, which is not strictly true as the club is well into Roscommon and is not in Leitrim... as claimed.

But then that's the argument with New Ross, Bunclody and Waterford golf clubs, isn't it!

I think it is only an argument that headbagers like us to come up with. :D

"Most lads go - we are going for a game of golf"
    "cool"
    "where"
    "See you there you bandit"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Yea Pretty sure the 1st On the Monty in Carton tees up in Meath and Fairway is in Kildare

According to Gui site counties with only one course in them are.....

Longford and Leitrum

My vote would be for Castle and Portmarnock for the South and North sides of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Donegal. Bundoran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

denisoc16 wrote: »
    I would have at least 5 courses ahead of Dooks in Kerry

Waterville, Tralee, Ballybunion x 2, Killarney Killeen & possibly Mahony's Point

Shows how blessed we are in The Kingdom :)

Layinghen wrote: »
    Shows how blessed we are in The Kingdom :)

Yes but is it an hour and 1/2 journey or more to some of them ?

In Dublin I could be at 50 top courses in 1 hour 20.

And I get to live in Dublin. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Yes but is it an hour and 1/2 journey or more to some of them ?

In Dublin I could be at 50 top courses in 1 hour 20.

And I get to live in Dublin. ;)

Waterville is half way to America alright but the other four are pretty close together, plus you won't be restricted to travelling at 8mph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Maybe Carrick on Shannon, Fix. It's claimed that every county in Ireland has a golf course, which is not strictly true as the club is well into Roscommon and is not in Leitrim... as claimed.

But then that's the argument with New Ross, Bunclody and Waterford golf clubs, isn't it!

Carrick-On-Shannon isn't the only golf club in Leitrim.

Advertisement