Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best golf course in YOUR county

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,207 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Very hard for me to comment as I haven't played nearly enough of them and no links so i'll just give my top 3

Meath
    Headfort New
    Rathcore
    Knightsbrook

Knightsbrook can be very soft in the winter. Grand in summer.
    Never player Rathcor but must do so now as its been mentioned a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Knightsbrook can be very soft in the winter. Grand in summer. Never player Rathcor but must do so now as its been mentioned a few times.

Knightsbrook can be very soft in the winter. Grand in summer. Never player Rathcor but must do so now as its been mentioned a few times.

Rathcore at least as soggy as Knightsbrook in winter. Possibly worse. Nice in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

First Up wrote: »
    Rathcore at least as soggy as Knightsbrook in winter. Possibly worse. Nice in summer.

Worse in places I'd imagine and can be affected by frost quite a bit due to where it is. Still a great course

dan_ep82 wrote:
    Worse in places I'd imagine and can be affected by frost quite a bit due to where it is. Still a great course

Fine course. Shame about the poor drainage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,207 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Dundalk is a brilliant course in the summer, pure bog now just off the fairways.
    I suppose you shouldn't be off the fairways anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think Dun Laoghaire gives Lutllerstown a run for its money as best parkland (and I think it is just about in Dublin.) Malahide is excellent and gets little attention. There's a few courses out that way - e.g. Skerries, Corrstown, Forrest Little - well worthy of consideration, especially if you think Newlands is good!

Yes good call on Dun Laoghaire - close between them two.
    Must go over and play Castle and Grange

I think that is my slight frustration with Parklands in Dublin - all the ones mentioned above , considered "good" - wouldn't get a look in, in any county mentioned so far. I've played most of them - and would rather drive past them out of Dublin to the other courses mentioned to be honest. Look at Kildare for example :eek:
    But - you are in a city - a different thing , land, course wise etc.

Maybe Margaret's also worth a call ?

Haven't played Hermitage - is that up there ?

Yes good call on Dun Laoghaire - close between them two. Must go over and play Castle and Grange

I think that is my slight frustration with Parklands in Dublin - all the ones mentioned above , considered "good" - wouldn't get a look in, in any county mentioned so far. I've played most of them - and would rather drive past them out of Dublin to the other courses mentioned to be honest. Look at Kildare for example But - you are in a city - a different thing , land, course wise etc.

Yes good call on Dun Laoghaire - close between them two. Must go over and play Castle and Grange

I think that is my slight frustration with Parklands in Dublin - all the ones mentioned above , considered "good" - wouldn't get a look in, in any county mentioned so far. I've played most of them - and would rather drive past them out of Dublin to the other courses mentioned to be honest. Look at Kildare for example But - you are in a city - a different thing , land, course wise etc.
    The Dublin "borders" are a bit meaningless with so many good courses just over the line in Wicklow, Kildare, Meath etc.
    Maybe Margaret's also worth a call ?

It used to be quite good. I think it fell into decline with ownership issues but I think I saw some positive reports. Haven't played it in a long while.

Nice traditional club but tight and some blind holes bordering on dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Meath. Headford New.
    However member in Knightsbrook and very proud of it they've done a lot of work on drainage in trouble spots last couple of years.

sofireland wrote:
    Meath. Headford New. However member in Knightsbrook and very proud of it they've done a lot of work on drainage in trouble spots last couple of years.

Good to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Was very playable during last winter. So will see how she's fairing next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Doctor C

Kilkenny- Callan - lovely course and friendly membership

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Good to hear.

Headfort old is quiet good too

Headfort old is quiet good too

Yes, I think it would get my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bmay529

Hermitage is a traditional parkland course with tight tree lined fairways and good greens. While not a bombers course or as long as some modern courses it is a real challenge demanding positional shots and will test every club in your bag. The 10th, 11th and 12th in particular are a formidable challenge. Ian Woosnam described the 11th as one of the best par 5 holes he had played. Rory McElroy played the course early this year and was highly complementary about it. Several holes on the back nine have blind shots with a bell system in use to indicate the way is clear to play. While best played in the summer as a parkland course it has good drainage and can take quite a bit of rain. Also well known as a friendly club with good food and catering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Eh, no chance. Both are snooty, exclusive, we don't like your type round here establishments. No opens ever. Only way to play is to be pally with a member.

• Advertisement

Barnaboy wrote:
    Eh, no chance. Both are snooty, exclusive, we don't like your type round here establishments. No opens ever. Only way to play is to be pally with a member.

Not true. Green fees are available in both and they host numerous outings.

Barnaboy wrote: »

To be honest that would add to the curiosity for me.

I want to play the best Parkland in Dublin.

Just can't see them get anywhere near what is in surrounding counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I've played Castle GC the past two years in their JSC, it's generally quite early in around mid Apr I think, on the expensive side at €40 and disappointly on a Fri at that but it's always a sell out event. Fine course in fabulous condition with a strong tradition of high level amateur players.

I played Grange two years ago also in their JSC and in keeping with Castle it also is expensive at €40 and on a Fri as well. Again a good course but would place Castle a good deal higher in the rankings hence why I choose Castle over it this year to play.

In saying that both courses are quite old school in design with tree lined narrow fairways and lacking somewhat in distance and features to make them spectacular. Of the Dublin parklands I've played I place Luttrellstown top of the list by a good stretch. It really has a fabulous layout on a mature estate with good use of water features which leaves for a memorable round. An awful pity there aren't more members and it's annual subscriptions more competitive as it's a course that would be very convenient for me location wise.

Of the highly ranked Dublin parklands The Hermitage is one I've yet to play but as of yet I haven't noticed it holding a scratch cup or other suitable open competition. My top 3 Dublin parklands to date would be Luttrellstown, Castle and Roganstown in descending order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I played The Castle for the first time this year (JSC in Apr) and I'm glad I did.
    It's quite short as I expected it would be but it's a lovely tidy course in superb condition and there's a nice air of history about the place. But you'd never find it without a GPS !

As for The Grange, the Leinster Mid-Am is played there every Aug. Its a great tournament and great value (€40 for a least 2 but possibly 3 rounds). I played in it this year and last year and it's a real highlight of my golf calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

Coolattin in Wicklow - beautiful course and a good challenge

• Advertisement

Earleybird wrote: »
    Coolattin in Wicklow - beautiful course and a good challenge

Fine course. Wicklow is spoilt for choice - probably the best concentration (and variety) of courses in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Just as we're talking Castle GC, the greens are quite exceptional, and i played just a few weeks ago. It's an absolute pleasure to play, and the length means you're not totally exhausted on what is a relatively long back stretch.

It's a classic Colt design, nicely proportioned and well layed out. But you will need a sat nav to find the feckin place.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Just as we're talking Castle GC, the greens are quite exceptional, and i played just a few weeks ago. It's an absolute pleasure to play, and the length means you're not totally exhausted on what is a relatively long back stretch.

It's a classic Colt design, nicely proportioned and well layed out. But you will need a sat nav to find the feckin place.

You are talking about Castle Golf Club in Rathfarnham? What's hard about finding it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

You are talking about Castle Golf Club in Rathfarnham? What's hard about finding it?

its up a little lane way in the middle of a housing estate

as someone very unfamiliar with the area it was the proverbial needle in a haystack

I never would have found it with out my google maps app

but what a pleasure it is when you do find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

County with the best courses?

Wicklow, Kildare, kerry, clare, sligo??

It's a tough one!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    County with the best courses?

Wicklow, Kildare, kerry, clare, sligo??

It's a tough one!

Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

cairny wrote: »
    Nah....More spectacular surroundings, with some wow holes but there's something not quite right about it, not quite a proper links, feels a bit forced to me. Mind you I've only played it once so maybe it's a grower.

Not being able to play it regularly adds to the hype / mystique I suppose.

IMO both are great. I play Old Head a lot and every time it offers something new based on conditions. Fota is also a great track and need to mention Cork Golf Club.

its up a little lane way in the middle of a housing estate

No it isn't. Its on a perfectly well mapped and marked road, off an even more mapped and marked main road in a well established Dublin suburb. The club website has clear directions and all the roads involved appear on every map.
    If you were talking about a newly established course down a series of winding unmarked country lanes I would understand but if you have trouble finding The Castle, the problem may lie closer to home.

No it isn't. Its on a perfectly well mapped and marked road, off an even more mapped and marked main road in a well established Dublin suburb. The club website has clear directions and all the roads involved appear on every map.
    If you were talking about a newly established course down a series of winding unmarked country lanes I would understand but if you have trouble finding The Castle, the problem may lie closer to home.

Is that a bit harsh ?

I was over the dark side a few years ago - for a good few months , and found the place an absolute maze , particularly that link from M50 across - yes is one road. And if you have a map you are fine.

But, that part of Dublin has the max density of villages in the country - and is far more dense in estates etc - with very large parks and Golf Courses ironically enough , (rugby pitches too ;)) separating out the land and roads.

It was like a Ross O'Carroll Kelly experience for me over there.

Anyway - GPS is the answer these days.

Must hit this famous Castle, If I can find it.

I And if you have a map you are fine.

As the saying goes,; 'If all else fails, read the instructions.'

• Advertisement

Lads - If the mods would allow.

I wanted to bounce a zombie thread. Got a bit of news at weekend and deep diving into golf research and refreshing my own mind (of my own posts 😂).

Some great posts. I said I would post again as a good few years and courses under belt.

I'm from Dublin

Best Links (The Island - but very close call with Portmarnock Golf Club)

Best Parkland (Still Luttrellstown Castle)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There's nothing to separate Island / Portmarnock. I always thought the Hermitage pipped it for me on Parkland due to those unreal greens, literally like a snooker table

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Beaulieu

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

7 years later and it’s still probably the best in Offaly. Portarlington a worthy mention now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Cork - Fota Island (Deerpark)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd like to have a vote in a couple of counties, but I'd be most qualified to vote in Waterford. And Tramore is the clear winner for me. Faithleg and Waterford Castle are fine courses and I have a soft spot for Dungarvan having played well there in a junior open (not sure how good the course actually is). I don't remember ever playing West Waterford, but from what I hear it wouldn't be challenging Tramore for most people, but is a fine course.

Of course, it's all a matter of opinion. I'm playing in Dublin now and the best I've played is Portmarnock Links, but the next highest rated I've played in the county is probably Castleknock or Grange. So I'd either be voting for the best course I've played or voting for another based on reputation.

I love Tullamore, I'd easily rate it above Portarlington. Esker Hills would run it close, but it's definitely a runner up for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Tipperary - Quality-wise the two best are Dundrum and Ballykisteen

Shout outs to Cahir and Tipperary Town Golf Club then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

Condition wise, Dungarvan is the nicest of the three in the area at the moment - greens are in the best shape I've ever seen them. West Waterford has slipped a bit, probably due to the fact they were up for auction so obviously the money hasn't been there. The Gold Coast has always been the bottom of the three for me, fantastic location but never in great condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Co Armagh really isn't blessed with many great courses.

My home course of Lurgan might top it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Great course yes, but would have to go with Cork Golf Club, natural terrain, cracking test of golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Im in Wicklow, personally id prefer Druids Glen over the european, but im sure most would have it the other way around.

Reading through the comments, a lot of people saying Rathcore or Headfort new in Meath, but surely Killeen castle has to be the pick of the bunch in Meath?

Again, also seen people saying Gowran in Kilkenny, but for me Mount Juliet hands down. For Cork there has been a good few shouts for Fota, but i dont think anything comes close to Old Head, truly unique experience and one of the best golfing days in the country, if not europe.

Personally for me in Kerry Ballybunion probably just edges it, although there is not much between BB Tralee and Waterville, all 3 are exceptional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I didn’t think I’d ever see this thread resurface!

While I’ve grown to sort of dislike RCD (it’s just too bloody tough), it would be folly to suggest there’s anything near its level in County Down.

I’d probably edge Lisburn over Clandeboye, Kilkeel and Royal Belfast for the best parkland. Ardglass would have a shout there too, depending on whether it’s wearing its “yes I am a links” hat, or not.

Neighbouring county Armagh doesn’t quite have the same rung of excellent courses. There is a common thread of uneven routing and the occasional strange hole, across long established courses Co Armagh, Tandragee and Lurgan, while the rest are a cut below. Would probably side with Co Armagh at a push; it’s a nicer walk.

Thanks lads. Anyone from co louth out there

Links

And

Parkland

And to totally mess up thread - I don't mind (would prefer if people say 1st / 2nd )

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think Cork is a good course but a lot of hype around it for me. Fota more of a challenge IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think Seapoint is a better test of golf than Baltray, but Baltray a better conditioned course.

Parkland I'd have to go with Dundalk GC in Blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Dungarvan is a fabulous course in my opinion. Not only is it a great course, I’ve never played a course where people are so friendly. Depending on the time of day, you can play it for under €20 as well which is brilliant.

Tramore is the best course in Waterford without a doubt. The Castle is a lovely course but it has always lacked something for me. Faithlegg shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same breath as Tramore. The only thing I don’t like about Tramore are the members but that’s not what we’re here to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Connemara

Having been a member there for many years I feel I have to defend them! I'd say the members are very nice. It's an old membership and that brings a couple of problems. Like not wanting to play from the blue tees. Or not embracing the new 9 they built, that's such a shame.

But I wouldn't knock them for having different outlooks to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Just reading thread for 1st time, I am from Rathfarnham and agree Castle is bloody hard to find, it is in the middle of an old housing estate.

Re castle/Grange debate, if you ever get a chance to play Sheehan course in Grange par 71 it is a much better course than the love course. Since they had to shorten the 1st Par 3 which used to be over 200yds it is no where near the same course. Sheehan course much tougher as well. 18th is great finishing hole.

Re them being pretentious that is bullsh*t as well, they are family clubs where everyone is welcome. Milltown would be the most pretentious in South Dublin even though the course is very average bar last 2 holes.

I see Fota got lots of votes, I played it and Druids glen in the last month, there was Eons between them. Played Fota with a friend who would have played lots of courses as well, it is in great condition etc but at the end of it I asked him what was the most memorable hole, what was the hole you couldn't wait to play again. Neither of us could come up with one.

Best Parklands I have played not really well so excluding your mount juliets/Druids glen etc would be Concra wood, Headfort new.

• Advertisement
Advertisement