Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belmond Grand Hibernian

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Surely a private operator is free to choose where it wants to operate a tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

lxflyer wrote: »
    Surely a private operator is free to choose where it wants to operate a tour?

Did I say otherwise? I was asking if anybody knew the reason that the SE line was not included.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Going to guess that it's a week and they are going to get as much as possible into that week. The WRC is what helps the current routing.

Would love to see it on Waterford line as well but the routing is set for 2016 and 2017.

Now if they were able to swing a transfer over S Wexford line it would open up a second route option without having to go backwards to get to a place.

Anyone what number of coaches will operate, the test is a unit of 7 (inc GV).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

These railtours are aimed at 'normals' and not the bashing fraternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Full set will be 10 including the EGV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Going to guess that it's a week and they are going to get as much as possible into that week. The WRC is what helps the current routing.

Would love to see it on Waterford line as well but the routing is set for 2016 and 2017.

Now if they were able to swing a transfer over S Wexford line it would open up a second route option without having to go backwards to get to a place.

Should be 10 coaches in full when in service, which is another reason it can't do the DSER, be too long for all but Wexford platform, cause issues with passing loops not being long enough, too heavy for the DSER at over 360 tons for a passenger train, plus 201 class locomotives aren't allowed in passenger service south of Bray

Should be 10 coaches in full when in service, which is another reason it can't do the DSER, be too long for all but Wexford platform, cause issues with passing loops not being long enough, too heavy for the DSER at over 360 tons for a passenger train, plus 201 class locomotives aren't allowed in passenger service south of Bray

At that rate it won't be long before the SE line goes 'freight only' and then into mothballs - followed by a Greenway. Talk about making things inflexible. It's a pity Belmond or somebody like them wouldn't takeover the entire railway - it's clearly too much bother for CIE/IE.

Just looking at the Wanderer's pics of the test run and it occurred to me that it's a pity they didn't put in decent drop-down windows in the doors. One of my many pet hates with the Mk IIIs, but I'm sure there are all sorts of reasons why this couldn't have been done.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    At that rate it won't be long before the SE line goes 'freight only' and then into mothballs - followed by a Greenway. Talk about making things inflexible. It's a pity Belmond or somebody like them wouldn't takeover the entire railway - it's clearly too much bother for CIE/IE.

Well if you are happy to blow the subsidy on shinny stuff to keep the trainspotters happy, go right ahead. Best of luck trying to fix as the loops are too short, Greystones is around 210m long and you need 250m to fill the Grand Hibernian as they want to run the longest Mk3 consist ever run in Ireland.

Belmond would probably have been told to go to Rosslare a max of 8 coaches + loco would be the limit which fits and is just under the weight limit for a passenger train on the DSER. A Mk4 set or even a 9 car ICR would fit in the loops on the DSER, but not platforms, to be fair only a handful of stations can cope with them.

Extend a pile of loops, change the signalling, increase the axle load limit and track maintenance regime, not happening

Belmond always had its focus on Cork/Kerry/Galway and Belfast, never was a mention about Waterford, Rosslare or Sligo even before they bought the Mk3's

Just looking at the Wanderer's pics of the test run and it occurred to me that it's a pity they didn't put in decent drop-down windows in the doors. One of my many pet hates with the Mk IIIs, but I'm sure there are all sorts of reasons why this couldn't have been done.

The AC needs a sealed coach to work, also you don't want people hanging out the window

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3731132/Pictured-Rail-passenger-24-decapitated-leaned-train-window-Gatwick-Express.html

• Advertisement

Should be 10 coaches in full when in service, which is another reason it can't do the DSER, be too long for all but Wexford platform

Platform vs train lenght isn't an issue as MkIIIs have grandfather rights on the Rosslare line for stoping at short platforms. And the train won't fit on most of the platforms it will be calling at anyway.
    issues with passing loops not being long enough

Loops don't matter as anything it would be crossing would be well within the lenght and would use the loop rather than the Grand Hibernian. Same will apply when 27 wagon liners are cleared to Balina in a few months. The longer train remains outside the loop until the shorter train is in the loop. Problems would however occur for run arounds and the top and tail option would probably be required.
    too heavy for the DSER at over 360 tons for a passenger train

Yes weight is an issue under the current rules, but the train is only slightly over the limit by about 32 tons, however that can easily be changed and allowed for the same way weight limits are being changed for the 27 wagon liners.

The lower weight limits were put in place for passenger trains on the Rosslare line years ago due to the infrastructure and gradients near the likes of Rathdrum to take account of the pulling power of 121/141/181s and 071s.

The infrastructure has been upgraded and this train will be 201 hauled so I don't see it being an issue.
    plus 201 class locomotives aren't allowed in passenger service south of Bray

201s are already cleared to Rosslare and have worked at least one passenger service to the Europort. They have also worked freight to Wexford. They are cleared to operate "normally" to Arklow which includes passenger trains and they have worked push-pulls to Wicklow or Arklow (can't remember which) on specials. They can operate past Arklow with special dispensation or in an emergency and again this restriction was put in place in 1995 when the infrastructure was in poor condition. They could easily be cleared for normal operation all the way to Rosslare if needed.

There's really no need for drop down windows with power operated doors.

The AC needs a sealed coach to work, also you don't want people hanging out the window

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3731132/Pictured-Rail-passenger-24-decapitated-leaned-train-window-Gatwick-Express.html

The end doors don't need sealed windows for AC to work, (the internal saloon doors do that), look at MkIIs for example or UK MkIIIs or even the MkIII dining cars at one end only, they IE MkIIIs only had half drop windows as they didn't need full drops because there was no need to reach out to open the doors. Also look at 29000s which have opening windows and AC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

a backward step. didn't you hear about the guy a few days ago in the UK? One of our own killed due to a drop-down window,

a backward step. didn't you hear about the guy a few days ago in the UK? One of our own killed due to a drop-down window,

Oh dear, there have been drop-down windows since the dawn of the railway age and now we are so helpless that we must not be able to open windows. :rolleyes:

Oh dear, there have been drop-down windows since the dawn of the railway age and now we are so helpless that we must not be able to open windows. :rolleyes:

Oh it's simply awful that air conditioned mkIIIs don't have outdated impractical features like clerestory roofs, torpedo ventilators or those drop down windows with the leather strap.

Oh it's simply awful that air conditioned mkIIIs don't have outdated impractical features like clerestory roofs, torpedo ventilators or those drop down windows with the leather strap.

I know it's the silly season, but what is so mad about having windows that open far enough down in a door that you can put your head out (not half your body like the UK enthusiast) without having to contort your body. You obviously don't remember how airless the MkIIIs used to become in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

GM228 wrote: »
    Platform vs train lenght isn't an issue as MkIIIs have grandfather rights on the Rosslare line for stoping at short platforms.

correct. i was on mk3s deputizing for the normal mark 2 sets on a couple of occasions. pushpulls mostly but 1 normal mark 3 set operated.
    201s are already cleared to Rosslare and have worked at least one passenger service to the Europort.

when was that?

a tragic incident but that isn't a reason not to fit such windows.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I know it's the silly season, but what is so mad about having windows that open far enough down in a door that you can put your head out (not half your body like the UK enthusiast) without having to contort your body. You obviously don't remember how airless the MkIIIs used to become in service.

As a matter of fact I do remember.

What does it matter? That class of punter will hardly be induging in 'flailing' and you're unlikely to travel in them anyway.

As a matter of fact I do remember.

What does it matter? That class of punter will hardly be induging in 'flailing' and you're unlikely to travel in them anyway.

The class of punter that likes to drop down a window for a look out or a breath of fresh air - time will tell and I just think it's a pity that it wasn't done. As for whether I would ever travel on them - not that it's any of your damn business - why would I. A trip on the Welsh Highland or the Ffestiniog would beat any Irish trip hands down for a tiny fraction of the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

the only reason for having drop down windows was so you could reach out to turn the door handle. Very outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Moving swiftly along (no pun intended).....the Grand Hibernian train passed Stacumny bridge at 08:27 on its southbound run on Friday 12-Aug-16.

• Advertisement

correct. i was on mk3s deputizing for the normal mark 2 sets on a couple of occasions. pushpulls mostly but 1 normal mark 3 set operated.

Standard MkIIIs worked to Rosslare on several occasions on both regular services and specials.

when was that?

Late 90s/early 00s, due to engineering works the early Rosslare service was starting at Wicklow, the 071 failed to start and 219 was sent from Shelton Abbey to work the train to Rosslare and back to Dublin under special permission.

Prior to that in 1996 216 also visited the Europort for gauge clearance albeit hauled by a 141.

ChelrkOWMAA7X1l?format=jpg&name=large

Close up of the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the only reason for having drop down windows was so you could reach out to turn the door handle. Very outdated.

they are not outdated at all. AC will never beat an opening window.
    Standard MkIIIs worked to Rosslare on several occasions on both regular services and specials.

interesting that it happened rather a bit. i had assumed it was a one off. i knew pushpulls operated a good few times as i caught them a couple of times when standing in for the mk2s.
    Late 90s/early 00s, due to engineering works the early Rosslare service was starting at Wicklow, the 071 failed to start and 219 was sent from Shelton Abbey to work the train to Rosslare and back to Dublin under special permission.

Prior to that in 1996 216 also visited the Europort for gauge clearance albeit hauled by a 141.

thanks.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Shamrock776

You are in luck!!!

Waterford added to schedule for this year as they wont be cleared for the full route plan in NI before next year at the earliest but not even certain.

Thats the word on grapevine......expect there are other people in the know who can confirm or dismiss it.

You are in luck!!!

Waterford added to schedule for this year as they wont be cleared for the full route plan in NI before next year at the earliest but not even certain.

Thats the word on grapevine......expect there are other people in the know who can confirm or dismiss it.

Indeed it has to make up for the missed day lost due to not being allowed past Belfast.

Expect a complete route trial to commence on Monday utilising the full 10 car set.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Indeed it has to make up for the missed day lost due to not being allowed past Belfast.

Expect a complete route trial to commence on Monday utilising the full 10 car set.

Assume it won't stay overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Might do, 216's TPWS system's interaction with the NIR signals has to be fully tested as part of the run.

No it won't be staying overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

The Belmond Grand Hibernian visited Killarney on Tuesday 16th August while on a trial from Dublin.
    Click http://smu.gs/2aQJPna to view all the images.

DSC_8771-M.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

August 30th is confirmed start date for the Grand Hibernian.

Can someone post a link to the timings for the 30th?

Advertisement