Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah as I expected it’s about on a par with the CS. But when you add some spec (things that are standard in the R - 19’s, alarm) then it’s the more expensive car really.
    They’re all gone very expensive very quickly. List prices are easily 5k+ more than what they were when I bought in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

WLTP has made the Mk7.5 expensive across the board now, even the lesser marmite models. It's really a model that's in it's last stage of its life cycle and VW were never going to make huge changes to it at this stage to adapt to the new WLTP standards. I'd expect the Mk8 to either be cheaper or better equipped for the same money when it launches later this year given that VW will benchmark from launch for WLTP. You will probably be waiting mid 2020 for the GTi/R models though.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I don't think this particular one ever left Galway.

Jaysus, there's more than 1 Black Rubin GTi in the country, beggars belief!

The starting price for the CS 3dr DSG for Jan 2017 was €45795 so a bit of a hike for the TCR. €750 for the awful decals - a joke IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's never worth 10k over the standard GTI...

They finally have the tax up on the 2019 GTI, €390.

How if the co2 is gone up with the WLTP has the tax and cost not?

It's never worth 10k over the standard GTI...

They finally have the tax up on the 2019 GTI, €390.

How if the co2 is gone up with the WLTP has the tax and cost not?

€10k? The standard PP DSG is €45k now, so it’s more like ~3k.

The Co2 is 170 / 171 now, so that puts the tax at €570 (DSG) or €750 (manual). Must be a misprint in the product guide with either the co2 figure or the tax figure.

• Advertisement

10k over the manual performance. It's on the VW Ireland website now with the 171co2 and €390 tax.

2.0 TSI

245hp / 180kw
    6 speed manual
    7.50 l/100km*2
    171 g/km*2
    Annual Road Tax
    C / € 390
    From € 41,595.00*1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

10k over the manual performance.

48K over no car at all.

You can't compare it to a manual, it has DSG.

10k over the manual performance. It's on the VW Ireland website now with the 171co2 and €390 tax.

2.0 TSI

245hp / 180kw
    6 speed manual
    7.50 l/100km*2
    171 g/km*2
    Annual Road Tax
    C / € 390
    From € 41,595.00*1

You’re not comparing like with like. The TCR is DSG only. The PP DSG is a touch over 45k.

It’s the product/price guide you need to look at. Not the numbers on the flashy website.

https://www.volkswagen.ie/content/dam/vw-ngw/vw_pkw/importers/ie/downloads/product-guides/20181219-golf-gti-gtd-r-december-2018.pdf/_jcr_content/renditions/original./20181219-golf-gti-gtd-r-december-2018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Is there much market for these more hard core gti models though?
    The beauty of the car is that it is a great all rounder. By trying to make it more like a civic type r or focus rs they remove some of that and it falls down as a package overall in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

carsfan2 wrote: »
    The beauty of the car is that it is a great all rounder. By trying to make it more like a civic type r or focus rs they remove some of that and it falls down as a package overall in my view.

I have a mk5 GTI with every extra & don't really see the value in dumping 20k to upgrade to a Mk7 with near enough the same power. (I've driven one & they're obviously better, but I wouldn't say they're 5 times better) However a TCR or R would definitely warrant it, I'm just waiting for R's to hit the mid 20s.

Also I want a more hardcore car but don't really like the English council estate image of focus RS's & Civic type R's have. (I think I read too many Max power magazines in the 90s/00s)

• Advertisement

carsfan2 wrote: »

I don't think its anywhere close to "hard core" tbh. They've put the same engine into it as what's in the Leon Cupra and added a few relatively subtle trim changes (if you exclude those optional side decals).

I can see it being very desirable, it'd have that bit of exclusivity and would hold its value a bit better than standard GTI's. The flip side is, its a runout model, so after dropping 50k on it, you might be very disappointed if you really like the look of the MK8 when it appears 6 months later...

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

€10k? The standard PP DSG is €45k now, so it’s more like ~3k.

It's 10k alright but only if you compare a fully loaded TCR to a "bog standard" manual PP with no options at all. So you can't compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

What sort of mpg are you guys getting from Mk7 DSG R? I'm sat around 16mpg, mainly city driving - I wasn't expecting an ecobox but thought it would be in the 20s at least!

What sort of mpg are you guys getting from Mk7 DSG R? I'm sat around 16mpg, mainly city driving - I wasn't expecting an ecobox but thought it would be in the 20s at least!

That’s pretty poor. I averaged around 28mpg. A lot of my driving was short commutes. Exclusively city stop/start driving really hammers mpg in any car though. You’d have to ask yourself if you really need a car, never mind an R!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Around 27mpg at the moment mix of town and motorway driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

I believe they’re basing the CO2 figures on the NEDC2 figures (which are made up) in the interim before the WLTP figures come into play in 2020, yet they’re displaying the WLTP figures in all the documentation. It’s confusing and misleading to be honest.

Do the driving modes do anything for mpg? I've been switching between eco and sport. Only just refilled my first tank, 533km with 47L, that was a mix of city, country, town and motorway.
    That's a manual 230...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

533km to a tank from 47L so 32 mpg or so? Justifies my decision to go GTD. A GTi would have broke me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Do the driving modes do anything for mpg? I've been switching between eco and sport. Only just refilled my first tank, 533km with 47L, that was a mix of city, country, town and motorway.
    That's a manual 230...

I never once used eco mode, my driving in an R saw close to 30mpg nearly all the time.

There’s about 5-6mpg between the R and the GTI in my experience, with a mixture of real world driving.

~28mpg in the R.
    ~34mpg in GTI.

You’ll do a little better than that (by 3-4mpg) if you drive very handily on a long run.

ECO mode is pointless and downright stupid imo. The car actually coasts when you take your foot off the throttle and the brakes aren’t as effective. Not good.

• Advertisement

I agree Joe, normal or sport modes are the ones to use, but the difference between the two is hardly noticable, the steering response is better in sport alright and the aktuator is louder, but these can be turned off.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I agree Joe, normal or sport modes are the ones to use, but the difference between the two is hardly noticable, the steering response is better in sport alright and the aktuator is louder, but these can be turned off.

In DSG cars, Sport or “Race” mode is practically unusable too tbh. Holds onto the gears much too long. Bouncing off the limiter in 2nd gear...

I suppose its more for using the paddles and track driving

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

If i put it in race i just tip the gear lever back into D. The very first DSG car i drove was a caddy about 15 years ago and even sport mode in that held the gear far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

My MK 7 DSG R gets a fairly consistent 28mpg with a mix of urban/rural/motorway. I use normal mode about 99% of them. I dont believe Eco mode has any useful effect on consumption, not that I've noticed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

29 mpg with mixed driving.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    533km to a tank from 47L so 32 mpg or so? Justifies my decision to go GTD. A GTi would have broke me.

Hold Up! That was my first ever tank with a lot of flapping about. I've 350km up today and on the 4th notch down, and it's saying 330k left in the tank.

I'd say if you get around 600 to a tank you will do well. Which for the power you have is not too bad really. I've my GTD up to 233bhp/353ft lb and I get 750-800 to a tank. I'd still love a GTi though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Usually get 550/600 km out of a tank
    7.5 R. Keep it in normal mode 90% of the time. Personally find a big difference In sport mode. Throttle response much better car feels much more aggressive. It dose bounce off the limiter in 1 2 3 very easy.. Probably be lucky to get 350km out of a tank in sports mode. But God it's a buzz to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭maddness

In DSG cars, Sport or “Race” mode is practically unusable too tbh. Holds onto the gears much too long. Bouncing off the limiter in 2nd gear...

I’ve put close to 200,000 Kms on two Golf R’s now and always drive in S but manual using the paddles as D just seems wrong on the car and like you said S auto is just insane too.
    I get about 23-25 mpg and find it hard to get much higher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement