Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Doesn't the emissions effect the RRP, the new GTI here is 171 g/km*2 the TSR is 151 g/km*2 which puts it in the €390 tax band.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't think the current prices reflect the new VRT bands yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Are you sure? How can that be possible. If anything I’d have expected the very opposite! It’s the same car with the engine beefed up (ala the Clubsport).

As for the Belgian configurator, the standard cars in Belgium (and Germany too oddly enough) have always been very lowly spec’d. Stuff like LED’s, xenons, larger alloys, etc, have always tended to be optional.

Spec'd one there with a few options and it comes in at 49k.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Neilw wrote: »
    Spec'd one there with a few options and it comes in at 49k.

That's about the same as a specced R. I'd probably choose the TCR over the R though.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    That's about the same as a specced R. I'd probably choose the TCR over the R though.

Same spec R is about 54k.

• Advertisement

Well I suppose it depends what options you put onto the GTI.

Same as the R :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The same ones ? :D

edit - beaten to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It’s hard to compare an R with a GTI exactly spec for spec as there’s some things that you can’t have in both - AWD in the R being the obvious one!

Then the R has a few bits standard that cost a good few quid to spec up in the GTI. Off the top of my head I’m thinking the 19’s and the alarm.

I’d probably pick the GTI / TCR too though, if I had the choice.

Will we see it here though? I’m doubtful. If it does appear it’ll literally be a MK7 run out special. 50k+ is a lot to drop on a car that’s about to cease production.

I'm mistaken so, I thought the R was closer than that in price.

• Advertisement

It’s hard to compare an R with a GTI exactly spec for spec as there’s some things that you can’t have in both - AWD in the R being the obvious one!

Then the R has a few bits standard that cost a good few quid to spec up in the GTI. Off the top of my head I’m thinking the 19’s and the alarm.

Will we see it here though? I’m doubtful. If it does appear it’ll literally be a MK7 run out special. 50k+ is a lot to drop on a car that’s about to cease production.

19" pretoria's are 2800 but also includes cup2 tyres and DCC suspension on the TCR.
    It is coming here, I was thinking of getting one.

How much was the Clubsport when that came out? Do you think the TCR would be similar money?

How much was the Clubsport when that came out? Do you think the TCR would be similar money?

They were within only a couple of hundred of the R prices at the time. Will the TCR be similar - I would say so, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I can see where this is going to end...:D

I can see where this is going to end...:D

Ha! Absolutely no chance I’m afraid. New car funds are diverted indefinitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Fnarrrfnarrrfnarrr:p

They were within only a couple of hundred of the R prices at the time. Will the TCR be similar - I would say so, yes.

Standard TCR is supposed to be about 3k cheaper than a new R, whether that's true or not we will have to wait and see.

As you mentioned Joe, the options like prets will more then likely bring the TCR up to an R price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭carsfan2

By the time the mark 8 performance versions are out you’ll be ready to go again Joe!

Neilw wrote: »
    Standard TCR is supposed to be about 3k cheaper than a new R, whether that's true or not we will have to wait and see.

As you mentioned Joe, the options like prets will more then likely bring the TCR up to an R price.

But if you look at the current price list Neil, the GTI PP is “only” about 4K cheaper than an R. The TCR is bound to have a chunky premium over a standard PP, which would surely have it within a whisker of the R, just like the Clubsport was. They might drop the PP altogether too in the runout.

I remember seeing a Clubsport in the local dealers with only a couple of options ticked and it was well north of 50k!

carsfan2 wrote: »
    By the time the mark 8 performance versions are out you’ll be ready to go again Joe!

Ha, I can’t see it right now, but who knows!

I do think the days of high performance petrols are numbered though sadly. By the time I’m looking at anything again it could be all EV’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Daveq

Would anyone have a copy PDF or scanned in brochure from around 2015 for the GTI by any chance?

Daveq wrote: »
    Would anyone have a copy PDF or scanned in brochure from around 2015 for the GTI by any chance?

I have one from late 2014 (so it has the 151 spec), pm me your email address and I’ll send it on.

I do think the days of high performance petrols are numbered though sadly. By the time I’m looking at anything again it could be all EV’s.

I believe I read recently that they said 2025 is the last year they'll make petrol and diesel engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Possibly sacrilege in this thread but I seen a new R-line Polo the other week. I thought it looked really aggressive, not the best pic but you get the idea. Shame there's so few engine options in them. They could make a nice warm hatch with that kit and something between the 1.0 and 1.8 engines.

20181220-165407.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've a 142 GTI with 33,000km on the clock, had a warning about low coolant 2 months ago and then again yesterday. Left it in to the dealer to be checked out and I'm being told the water pump is leaking. This means a new water pump... and thermostat. €1000

Waiting on a second quote now but not impressed with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,308 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I've a 142 GTI with 33,000km on the clock, had a warning about low coolant 2 months ago and then again yesterday. Left it in to the dealer to be checked out and I'm being told the water pump is leaking. This means a new water pump... and thermostat. €1000

Go to an indy - you are outside warranty and would get it done far cheaper than that surely elsewhere?

everlast75 wrote: »
    Go to an indy - you are outside warranty and would get it done far cheaper than that surely elsewhere?

Waiting on a quote from one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Did you get a breakdown of exactly what they were quoting for? A lot of dealers will quote for replacing the water pump but also the thermostat housing at the same time as it has to be removed to do the water pump anyway and it's also prone to failure as being made from plastic it has a tendency to leak over time. the coolant pump and t. stat housing are almost €450-500 on their own without labour. I think the job is around 4.5-5 hours labour. €1k is a lot of money but it sounds about in line with dealer pricing. Did you ask them to check out goodwill for you?

€1000 is for water pump and thermostat replacement. Would feel better with a dealer doing the work and using genuine parts, as I had a bad experience with an indy garage replacing the power steering pump on my last car. It failed again within 3 months of being replaced and he just blamed the cheap Chinese parts, intiallly said he'd fix it under warranty and then went back on his word and demanded €100 labour costs do the second repair (after he'd done it). And then it failed again 2 years later and I just scrapped the car because ot it.

However in this case it doesn't look like the VW water pumps are particularly great either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

Thats a kick in the teeth.

Thermostat went on mine at about 25K - 132 GTI - it was in warranty though. I did have a module fail on our MKV GTI a few years back, they wanted 1K, but I haggled down to 800. Not a huge saving, but something at least. Main dealer for both jobs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement