Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Yeah they get some nice stuff in there alright at times. That's where I bought my ST back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

everlast75 wrote: »

That car has been local to me all it's life - owner was near the front of our housing estate so I've driven past it practically every day, and it's always been minty mint, and whenever I've seen it being driven it wasn't being wragged.

There are frequently other very nice cars parked next to it, so I suspect the owner was someone with an interest in nice motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Don't have any specific info on that car, but I have a 2 owner mk5 gti for the last 5 years, brought from that mileage to 162k/km & it still drives like new. Other than routine servicing (incl gearbox every 40k - look for evidence of this) & maybe 200 worth of preventative maintenance, it's been cost free. I have my eye on Mk7's but I can't man-maths myself into buying one as it's not enough of a leap to warrant the additional 20k cost. Patiently waiting for R's to hit the 20k mark.

deffo at the upper end price wise for a mk5.
    No climate control.
    It doesnt have the multi function steering wheel and just the basic radio.
    This can be added (it was by a previous owner of my mk5)
    Also the wheels have been powder coated with no diamond cut.might not bother you but I like the diamond cut!
    Make sure its getting up to temp on a moterway as the thermostat is a pricey job due to labour.
    Rear calipers sticking is common on them too check check the pad/disc condition .

I've had mine 2 years now and put a lot into it.Didn't need it all but I like doing the work myself .
    Just coming up to 161,000KM so 100,000 miles and its a fantastic drive !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

deffo at the upper end price wise for a mk5.
    No climate control.
    It doesnt have the multi function steering wheel and just the basic radio.
    This can be added (it was by a previous owner of my mk5)
    Also the wheels have been powder coated with no diamond cut.might not bother you but I like the diamond cut!
    Make sure its getting up to temp on a moterway as the thermostat is a pricey job due to labour.
    Rear calipers sticking is common on them too check check the pad/disc condition .

I've had mine 2 years now and put a lot into it.Didn't need it all but I like doing the work myself .
    Just coming up to 161,000KM so 100,000 miles and its a fantastic drive !

Wheels look to be 17's rather than the diamond cut 18's.

• Advertisement

That’s what I paid for my 2006 with lower miles at the time 7 years ago!! Mine is 3 door and not dsg but similar spec otherwise.

Neilw wrote: »
    Wheels look to be 17's rather than the diamond cut 18's.

I was thinking that but wasnt sure.
    Did they offer the MK5 gti with 17s?
    That’s what I paid for my 2006 with lower miles at the time 7 years ago!! Mine is 3 door and not dsg but similar spec otherwise.

I paid 7.5 for mine 2.5 years ago.Needed service and DSG oil straight away so say 8

Yep I've the 17's on mine. Serious comfort & probably what's kept the bushings so fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

I paid 7.5 for mine 2.5 years ago.Needed service and DSG oil straight away so say 8

17's were standard and the 18's were an €800 option

heres my mark V bought from new in 08 options include 18's, sun roof, alarm , rear privacy glass and ipod connection €40,700 at the time!!

Yep I've the 17's on mine. Serious comfort & probably what's kept the bushings so fresh.

Im due new tyres in the next 3/4 months.
    Going to get 225/45/18 as opposed to the 225/40/18 that on it now to get some comfort back.
    Had a loan of rims when I was getting my own diamond cut with the 225/45/18s and made quite the difference and also look better in the arch.

Heres mine in the alps September gone,so clean compared to now .......

• Advertisement

Here's my mk5 addition to the mk7 thread....
    Cream leather, sunroof, dsg, heated seats, climate control

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Wow thats hefty money for a mk5.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Paid 7k last month from the north for a 3dr 2005 MK5 tornado red but was as new xenons leather 18 monzas I'd say go for it at €8k or less not much around that's such an icon in motoring for that kind of money and that gives as much fun to drive
    Your buying the car not the plate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Cars Ireland have a review up of the Polo GTI, of course it's the only video I've seen with halogens!

They have the Bridgestone Turanza T001 on it. They hold well on a wet roundabout or heavy braking but they're happy to lose grip if you accelerate ever so slightly out of a junction or if you're accelerating hard from a red light in the wet and that's on a 110hp Golf. So they put them on a hot hatch in a country where it's always wet while other countries get the Pilot Sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought the Polo GTi was removed from the Irish VW configurator due to WLTP?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The 2019 ones have jumped a couple of tax brackets, now 750 to tax. 171 g/km*2

Configurator still isn't working properly but they have the emissions up...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

The 2019 ones have jumped a couple of tax brackets, now 750 to tax. 171 g/km*2

Configurator still isn't working properly but they have the emissions up...
    Where do you see that? The Product Guide still lists it as €280.

Capture.jpg

fletch wrote: »
    Where do you see that? The Product Guide still lists it as €280.

Capture.jpg

I was on about it's big brother the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Casati

I was on about it's big brother the golf.

Published emissions are now full WLTP but the car isn’t accessed again them. New Cupra Leon is 171 too but only band C as accessed this year as being 149 co2. V confusing!

Casati wrote: »
    Published emissions are now full WLTP but the car isn’t accessed again them. New Cupra Leon is 171 too but only band C as accessed this year as being 149 co2. V confusing!

191 on will be in the higher tax, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Anyone considering a mk8 Gti or R?

I might have considered it but the fact that they will only really be a facelift still based on the MQB chassis puts me off somewhat, I'm hoping there's more to it.

The nail in the coffin for me is there won't be a 3 door.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

The Mk8 being essentially a facelift wouldn't necessarily put me off buying one. If it is, that should if anything, make the 7.5 an even better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No one knows beyond speculation what the MK8 entails yet. If you’re looking at changing into a new car in 191, the Golf is in an awkward spot in its lifecycle.

The MK8 will likely appear in vanilla form towards the Autumn next year. Probably appearing around the major car shows, e.g. Paris in October. Meanwhile They’ll be scaling back production of the current car and offering extra spec / special editions, so ordering a new 7.5 might be tricky. They’re already doing that...

However going by previous, the GTI could take a further 6 months to appear after the all new standard car and the R another 6 months after that! So, don’t hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They have already scaled back the Mk7 trim range in the UK with the introduction of the Match spec which adds lots of toys and replaced two previous previous levels. They did that previously with the Mk6 about 6 months before the Mk7 launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Golf prices are creeping up.
    Have came across this: a 37.5k 1.0l dsg golf with upgraded wheels, paint and leather interior
    https://www1.volkswagen.ie/used-cars/car/24284041

MK7 2014/2015
    4GRO8-NqpOM-puaomD_lgb0pRTQFjimmouR-9WiicDoTQUpgAW1bmcCWhwOrBsy6oxeQjguUyjhjiKrEAFplYlhoC0gJjxLUYb-ldhy4Ux-D1cry-oawHuFTMriRXvUxcmO83_peAg=w800-h600

iH0l-MyImdFIxpRyuB6pY-WrNyhQUaxVcFpRyOZdEqy9ZpDAb_quA80FNfY1ppYyD8zbq18gVmeIawB9CWQulM4DUJ3wCneQqbyO_2C-3F40ZWoemRoN2w2ocKGHU8rVZpl849ZHvQ=w800-h600

MK7.5 2016/17
    wWxW2grjKyBhHU1YYQxdvGpluZj_b6GfqOZ1UD6JyNiDh4L9RJo5prHxWVyYoQRpaDlu3eijOZhGJPLO77pJfHzeImMPgVIkTiMp3au-P47K9i45n5HsBk38sGfEBYpN1EKZfwGb2g=w800-h600

MK7.5 2017/18
    fst0pTaFpkxjKIwvLopjqyNBICVmhlpSqNESdgIo1dMasyR8jl978OojcHnb0Izb4i9_NisNgBSjjT6l1_TRWHWXDc1bhyzbos85NM5LpcgSoMj8q6D706mD0GTJkM6lNFSB8qwD4Q=w800-h600

MK7.5 2018/19 Big jump in prices. €600 for TL, €900 for CL and €1000 for HL. DSG is also €200 extra
    4uayquXTaNX39ZcD8wMP2XuQCm-qDdTf9JpTPi1jzOcKap4WNSNFsqShvS6Enz-EDyzmQbErmAZrGhp-r5RnnPVI8m3tM7EpIUfs4BLr4UO2Vbji5nDI-XEdOsjt7ZKctSHqECIKkQ=w800-h600

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Has anyone had to clean their high beam camera? Last two days it has been extremely slow at turning the high beams off so I've just left it off. Didn't turn off at all earlier when a motorbike was approaching on a straight road. Usually it's very good as turning off even at turns but recently it's been bad.

How is this car so expensive? I've done the same one up on the configurator and it comes out at €36.5.

The GTI TCR is up on the Belgian config. Starts at €39,990 over there so there's a €2.5k premium over a DSG PP. Some good (but pricey) alloy option but some other off choices with LED headlights and taillights not coming standard.

The TCR is 2 vrt bands lower than the current GTi here now, it'll still be €390 to tax versus €750 for the standard GTi. It'll be interesting to see how that effects the RRP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The TCR is 2 vrt bands lower than the current GTi here now, it'll still be €390 to tax versus €750 for the standard GTi. It'll be interesting to see how that effects the RRP.

Are you sure? How can that be possible. If anything I’d have expected the very opposite! It’s the same car with the engine beefed up (ala the Clubsport).

As for the Belgian configurator, the standard cars in Belgium (and Germany too oddly enough) have always been very lowly spec’d. Stuff like LED’s, xenons, larger alloys, etc, have always tended to be optional.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement