Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st post: w00t!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Who's Polmki?

Who are your favorite 5 bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

He's the unspoken.

I haven't had top bands since I was a teenager, back then my top 5 would have been The Cult, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, Sisters of Mercy and JS Bach. I tend to get new albums now, almost at random, and move on to the next, I don't have favourites as such. My latest 5 albums are: Chemical Brothers - Brotherhood, Avicii - True, Public Service Broadcasting - Inform Educate Entertain, Chvrches - The Bones of What you Believe, Green Day - Dookie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Do you like the way the site is going, and what it's become or becoming?

Yeah, it's not going in the wrong direction :)

I used to hate boards getting new forums some years back but it's great that we're trying to cater to a lot of discussion as we seem to be a good candidate for a national one stop discussion shop. Years ago there were loads of broad spectrum discussion fora about, and they've since died or dwindled to a crawl, so it's fab to see us succeed, but even better to allow such a public outlet that's this popular.

I'm not sure exactly where the site is going but it's not just driven by the staff, admins, cmods, mods etc, but the users too. They'll speak up if things are wrong, and we're not a corporate money driven social network that doesn't take that feedback on, so it could become many things.

I'd love if we had the resources to improve the under the hood stuff, but this is a pretty basic format that hasn't changed that drastically since creation, and although I hate saying 'if it aint broke' because that phrase is just wrong - we've got a good formula for what we are. If we want to take it to another level, I don't know what it is, but we'll need to make more cash from the site to do that I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

O/ Gordan.

Would you rather life long absolute true love with a partner or a million quid in cash? If you take the cash you will never find true love but might find normal love.

If you could invite any 5 people around for a dinner party, who would they be and why? They can include people who have ever lived.

Would you rather be a top movie actor or a rock star?

If you had to be an animal, what colour animal would you be?

Finally,

Do you prefer late nights or early mornings?

• Advertisement

O/ Gordan.

Would you rather life long absolute true love with a partner or a million quid in cash? If you take the cash you will never find true love but might find normal love.

If you could invite any 5 people around for a dinner party, who would they be and why? They can include people who have ever lived.

Would you rather be a top movie actor or a rock star?

If you had to be an animal, what colour animal would you be?

Finally,

Do you prefer late nights or early mornings?

o/

Gosh... lots of questions.

Probably take love even though I'm a commitmentphobe, it's a toughie as I'm happy on my own and doing my thang, and could do with that cash!

5 people.. I used to love the Ricky Gervais podcasts so would get him, Karl Pilkington and Stephen merchant along. Jimi Hendrix to have an after dinner jam with. And Martin Cahill so I can ask him where he buried all his cash.

Rock star definitely! I play guitar and bit of keyboards, was in a band when I was younger, still write a bit of music and have my name on a couple of albums (3 I think) for sound engineering/assistant/session musician.

Animal colour, haha, erm... Camouflage

I'm an annoyingly happy morning person but stay up late also, I'd go for mornings, you can see the world better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

You're stuck on a desert island and are only allowed one luxury item. What do you pick and why?

Luxury item, eh? Well that's subjective isn't it? My sister lives in Africa and a luxury item to her when I saw her was a working tin opener! To some, a luxury item is a tin of food..

I presume I'm not allowed to go for the magic pen? It can create anything and make you fly and swim under water indefinitely and do anything..

You don't mention how long I'm on the island for, so it could just be for a day, but I imagine this is a Tom Hanks Castaway thing so my 'luxury' item wouldn't be food and water as I think that'd be classified as a staple item, and knives/fire would be a survivor item. I guess I'd go for a solar powered laptop with a satellite connection to a free data hookup to the internet... I'd be able to watch movies, listen to music, talk to people, and even ban people on boards from my sandy beach while sipping coconut water cocktails! But who is to say that I'm not doing that at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

How many times have you been in love?

Can you sing? If so, what song do you think you can sing the best?

Are you Irish or Scottish?

What do you drive?

Tilly wrote: »
    How many times have you been in love?

Can you sing? If so, what song do you think you can sing the best?

Are you Irish or Scottish?

What do you drive?

I got close once, but she got away.

I don't think I'm that great but I can sing. When I was a busker, my rendition of Redemption Song was apparently the best that some other buskers had encountered. I don't think it's that great, but it's a different take on it.

Born in Scotland with mainly Scottish family roots, live in Scotland now.

Public transport :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Wow a busker? That's pretty cool :)

What kind of topics would you like to read about here in AMA?

Tilly wrote: »
    Wow a busker? That's pretty cool :)

What kind of topics would you like to read about here in AMA?

I have no idea to be honest, but am enjoying the ones we have had so far :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Gordon wrote: »
    There's loads actually, I always plan on flying over to a boards beer to do just that, but it's tricky. The top small handful that I haven't met and would like to are dr.bollocko, Pighead and Wibbs.

dr.bollocko cos I just like the guy, and would love to have a beer with him.

He's a bollox when he's drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

What is the first forum, non admin/mod, you look at on Boards each morning?

Menas wrote: »
    What is the first forum, non admin/mod, you look at on Boards each morning?
    That would be the random ban user page that throws up a random username for me to ban: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?action=Ban_random_user

Oh, non admin/mod? I tend to stick to admin/mod stuff these days, will browse the front page so it could be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

If you could be Intergalactic President of the Universe for long enough to enforce three non-reversible laws.....how much toffee pudding would it take to quench the hunger of a drunk hyena?

Seriously though, what three laws would you go for?

If you could be Intergalactic President of the Universe for long enough to enforce three non-reversible laws.....how much toffee pudding would it take to quench the hunger of a drunk hyena?

Seriously though, what three laws would you go for?

Hmm, well I’ve seen hyenas in the wild and they are hungry, ugly fellows. Apparently can digest bone, so would have no problem with toffee pudding. A hungry hyena can eat up to 6 kilos of meat per day. At an extremely rough guess, ‘meat’ would include lots of fat and bone so I imagine would be high in calorie count. Therefore one could guesstimate roughly 3000 calories per kilo of meat. Taking Jamie Oliver’s sticky toffee pudding, at a calorie count of 520 per serving: I’d suggest that a hungover hyena should be able to wolf down 34 portions of it with space for a hair of the dog.

3 universal, un-retractable laws huh?

1) All restaurants must be able to provide all items on their menu at an additional size: the Morsel. The volume of the dish must not exceed 5cm x 5cm x 5cm. Plates may be substituted for wafers or other edible items, but the whole dish must be able to fit into my mouth, with room for mastication. The maximum price of the Morsel, should not exceed 10% of the cost of the regular sized dish. All ingredients existing in the regular size should exist in the Morsel, and to the average person, a Morsel must look like the regular sized version.

2) The Gordon Lottery. All corporations are required to forfeit a varying percentage of their profits to the Gordon Lottery if and when required. This money is distributed randomly to registered voters that supply bank account details. Payout will usually be between £10,000 and £50,000. Algorithms will be in place to disallow multiple wins. Any corporation, or indeed any company is liable to be chosen to forfeit profits, and if Gordon is assassinated because of this law (or any) he will not be happy about it. The Gordon Lottery will be fully transparent, apart from naming the winners.. even if they are called Gordon..

3) I'll go for the usual: I am allowed to enforce more non-reversible laws at any point in future, at my whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PeterHands

If a giant rock was coming from space to destroy a planet filled with millions of people and you had the ability to divert it, would you do it?

The only thing is if you do divert it, it will smash into a planet with one human inhabitant and kill them.

PeterHands wrote: »
    If a giant rock was coming from space to destroy a planet filled with millions of people and you had the ability to divert it, would you do it?

The only thing is if you do divert it, it will smash into a planet with one human inhabitant and kill them.
    Hmm, you haven't confirmed that the rock will kill people on the more populated planet. But I presume you mean that it would. And no mention of whether or not the ramifications of diverting the rock will be detrimental to the other planet, or any others. So I'll presume there are no consequences.

Sure, kill the loner on the other planet, serves them right for being a pioneer and adventurer!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

PeterHands wrote: »

if you have the ability to divert it you either

a) can divert it somewhere other than that planet with the single guy
    or
    b) also have the ability to destroy it

but yeah, kill the one guy is the obvious solution.

• Advertisement

if you have the ability to divert it you either

a) can divert it somewhere other than that planet with the single guy
    or
    b) also have the ability to destroy it

but yeah, kill the one guy is the obvious solution.
    A) so into the sun or another galaxy's sun for example?
    B) would destroying it mean make it disappear or cause large shards of it to enter into earth's atmosphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A) so into the sun or another galaxy's sun for example?
    or a mere couple of degree in a different direction to either planet so it sails harmlessly past.
    B) would destroying it mean make it disappear or cause large shards of it to enter into earth's atmosphere?
    vaporise it ftw, but as long as the shards aren't too big they'll harmlessly burn up.
    Where did earth come into it?, clearly it doesn't fit either of the two planets conditions.

or a mere couple of degree in a different direction to either planet so it sails harmlessly past.

vaporise it ftw, but as long as the shards aren't too big they'll harmlessly burn up.
    Where did earth come into it?, clearly it doesn't fit either of the two planets conditions.

Ah yes, good spot, may not even be earth. Although earth is filled with millions of people. Many millions.

If diverting means this action doesn't cause danger to life in future, I'd go with that option. Who knows what's on the rock, could even be millions of people considering the limited amount of info in the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

My eyes, they are burning, it's Gordon, in the flash

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCbxJmhhaEyiIS54cZhVs-LNeIPrzOgllJlMDX7xoBmBhcTJc5

How many beans are there in the jar?
    41i00FhmWdL._SY300_.jpg

If Donald Trump manages to get into Ireland, will he buy up all the Walls? to use to build all the walls he needs to build. How many Walls are there in Ireland? Will he buy Stephen Wall?

Is a Wall, built by a Wall, a better Wall?

My eyes, they are burning, it's Gordon, in the flash

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCbxJmhhaEyiIS54cZhVs-LNeIPrzOgllJlMDX7xoBmBhcTJc5
    Hello citizen.
    How many beans are there in the jar?
    41i00FhmWdL._SY300_.jpg
    None, only pebbles.
    If Donald Trump manages to get into Ireland, will he buy up all the Walls? to use to build all the walls he needs to build. How many Walls are there in Ireland? Will he buy Stephen Wall?

Is a Wall, built by a Wall, a better Wall?
    He won't buy any walls, he will take over Walls, the company, and get Stephen Wall to make a wall out of Walls products. A much better wall.

389925.jpg

Truly a FEAST for mexican rats!

How can I turn off auto-pun in my brain?

Who would win in a flight between a carrot and a parsnip?

could one TWISTER could take down that wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Noahboah2014

Why are peppers called peppers when they taste nothing like pepper, or vicaversa?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Noahboah2014

Also any tips on dealing with a mother in law from hell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anagram for mother in law is woman hitler sounds like a job for Sir Winston Churchill or FDR.

Advertisement