Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st post: w00t!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

How many times will you wear pyjamas before washing them?
    I don't wear PJs.
    MugMugs wrote: »
    Did you really believe your account would make such an impact on this community when you opened it ?

How do you feel about the level of trust given to you ?
    Heh, I don't think my account has made an impact on the community, but that's nice of you to say! I didn't think I'd have banned as many people as I have, or lasted so long here, especially considering why I joined.

Yes, it is quite a big thing now, the level of trust placed upon us. When I started Adminning (or Super Modding as it was back then) the internet, and boards were different places. This was back when privacy wasn't such a hot issue. DeV would call people up if they were a d*ck on boards, he'd get their employers involved, or their school headmaster involved, he'd out people in some ways here. This is not how we would go about things now, so it's been tricky to keep up with the changes.

Looking at it with fresh eyes, it's quite humbling as we do have access to a lot of data, and will have users relay quite personal stuff to us in secrecy to explain certain actions on the site, and we're trusted with that. I'm personally happy with that because I know that I and the rest of the team respect that, so I'm happy with me having such access as it means that people that shouldn't have access - don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

What's your favourite meal?

These days it's rather boring, just a nice thick rare ribeye steak with some green vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

Should we call you Sir, Master or Wise One? Or just Gordon...said with reverence, of course.

Gordon is fine, or any honourable title you care to grace me with, with gusto, is also fine...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Milk, water or fizzy drink with your dinner?

I cut out sugary drinks years ago, and managed to wean myself off them by drinking soda water. So usually soda water, or water, or freshly squeezed orange juice if I pull out all the stops.
    26814241151020p?$478$

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hello Gordon, where would one procure some tang around here?

I figured if anyone knew where to get some Tang, it'd be you.
    May, or may not be a Simpsons quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Why did you join? Like 90% of people? To troll and then realise you are bad at trolling and you are in fact joining a conversation?

• Advertisement

I initially joined to troll a work colleague as he was bugging me profusely at work, I ended up being banned a few times and coming back as a reformed character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

What's this for?

What would you like it to be for?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

On the question of banning....

Have you ever permanently banned someone you'd rather not have banned, or would have liked to have kept around for whatever reason? Site-wise a bit of an A-hole, but who you privately found amusing/interesting. Or perhaps somebody who you may have come to know personally in the analogue world?

Keeping your answer vague of course and mentioning no names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Are you still going out with Julie?

endacl wrote: »
    On the question of banning....

Have you ever permanently banned someone you'd rather not have banned, or would have liked to have kept around for whatever reason? Site-wise a bit of an A-hole, but who you privately found amusing/interesting. Or perhaps somebody who you may have come to know personally in the analogue world?

Keeping your answer vague of course and mentioning no names.
    I've definitely banned a few people and/or publicly warned them on the PI forum when I modded it. And had a few annoyed friends at a signature removal. Don't think I've ever permanently banned someone I know or like.

Wrt sitebans I'm pretty sure I've never banned anyone from the site that I knew or liked (did I siteban pighead?! I forget). Although I don't take things personally for myself, I take things personally for others on the site. If someone is being enough of a dick to warrant a siteban, it's most likely that they've been a dick to a user or more commonly, a mod. If someone abuses a user/mod, any kinship I felt towards the user would be gone. And if someone spams or shills or coerces the website negatively I lose any respect for them, to be earned back.

So it's possible, but I don't really like them any more :)
    Are you still going out with Julie?
    Oh yes, and even invited John to the wedding. He sent the RSVP back but never turned up in the end WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

How many admin people are there

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses with the jaw strength of a regular horse or one horse sized duck? and why?

Zebrano wrote: »
    How many admin people are there
    Depends what you mean by admin people! If you mean members of the Admin usergroup, there are 38: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showgroups.php The Admin usergroup is one of the types of usergroup one can have, like regular user or subscriber or mod. You can have multiple usergroups and associate yourself as one group visibly. So employees make up a lot of Admins because they need to have an Administrative access, but they'll probably have other usergroups in their privileges also.

However, if you mean Admins that are commonly known as the site admins like what I do (ie: not Boards employees or bots/alt account) there are around 19.
    Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses with the jaw strength of a regular horse or one horse sized duck? and why?
    Hmm, I'm willing to bet that if you scaled the duck up to the size of a horse (presume you mean that the height of the duck is equal to the height of a horse, not width?) it'd be a fairly ineffectual foe. Do ducks even have teeth? I reckon it would be too slow due to its weight and would just be a bit annoying by flapping its wings at me. Am I allowed a weapon? If so, I'd easily win I reckon.

100 duck sized horses? Easy, I'd totally kick their haunches. Horses can kill humans by their kick strength, but size that down to a duck (height?) and you're talking about a much reduced kick, no way could their kick break my leg bone - which is all they could reach. But one of my kicks can send a couple of them flying. So picture the scene - 100 duck sized horses running at me slower than I can run do to their leg length; the few that reach me have to turn around in order to kick me with their hind legs. I dispose of them, run away, then wait for the next horses to get to me, and repeat.

But I'd rather take on the big duck as I love roast duck.

Are you not bored of asking that question yet?

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    It's the question on all our lips, when the inevitable horseduckalypse comes, we need to be prepared.

Gordon wrote: »
    It's the question on all our lips, when the inevitable horseduckalypse comes, we need to be prepared.

Faair enough. My question: Why was the duck?

Because it was horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

How many Boards marriages or babies do you know of? Do you have a Boards other half?

Gordon wrote:
    Hmm, I'm willing to bet that if you scaled the duck up to the size of a horse (presume you mean that the height of the duck is equal to the height of a horse, not width?) it'd be a fairly ineffectual foe. Do ducks even have teeth? I reckon it would be too slow due to its weight and would just be a bit annoying by flapping its wings at me. Am I allowed a weapon? If so, I'd easily win I reckon.
    Gordon wrote:
    100 duck sized horses? Easy, I'd totally kick their haunches. Horses can kill humans by their kick strength, but size that down to a duck (height?) and you're talking about a much reduced kick, no way could their kick break my leg bone - which is all they could reach. But one of my kicks can send a couple of them flying. So picture the scene - 100 duck sized horses running at me slower than I can run do to their leg length; the few that reach me have to turn around in order to kick me with their hind legs. I dispose of them, run away, then wait for the next horses to get to me, and repeat.

You may have mis read the question but it's okay, this is an epic and hilarious answer. I'm still laughing!

I will simplify further, no weapons, you versus one giant duck.... or you versus 100 tiny horses, but the tiny horses can bits as hard as regular sized horses...

endacl wrote:

Not until I find the correct answer and reasoning....

Tilly wrote: »
    How many Boards marriages or babies do you know of? Do you have a Boards other half?
    Oh gosh, I have a terrible memory but there have definitely been a few babies and marriages, I won't name them here. Boards is to thank for quite a few relationships that's for sure :)

No, don't have a Boards other half.
    You may have mis read the question but it's okay, this is an epic and hilarious answer. I'm still laughing!

I will simplify further, no weapons, you versus one giant duck.... or you versus 100 tiny horses, but the tiny horses can bits as hard as regular sized horses...
    Ah indeed, sorry, I missed the biting as hard as regular horses bit.

Presumably if the horses had the same jaw strength, but with much smaller teeth, their teeth would crumble under the pressure, so I would envisage only one bite being possible before they fecked their teeth. However, presumably you want them to have non-crumbling teeth?

Well their bite radius wouldn't be that large, so I imagine they'd only be able to take small chunks of my flesh off. I'd still go with the running away - kick - run away - kick approach, which I think would be pretty easy (especially if I found a big enough ledge to stand on where they can't jump to, but I can sweep my foot down to). The only issue with that is if they bite on to my shoe and hold on, in which case I'd bash them against a wall. I think I could take 100 small horses.

One giant duck would be tricky without weapons, especially if you ignore the size to weight ratio - as it'd be a lot more cumbersome if it was a lot heavier. It still wouldn't hurt me that much as it doesn't have teeth (I had to google that) so it'd probably be a stalemate to be honest. I'd try my best to get its neck and strangle it, but I imagine that'd be tough.

So, 100 horses would be my answer!

Awesome!

Its a difficult decision and I can see that you thought it through. Really enjoyed the detail of your reasoning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Do you miss Polmki?

• Advertisement

No, I really don't miss his numerous accounts that attempted to cause trouble by various methods, one of which being illegal/disgusting imagery.

Advertisement