Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting Mods.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Some posts warrant a forum ban, which isn't visible.

Cheers for that, I thought a card would be associated with the offending post.

I wonder would making it public help fellow posters learn from others mistakes?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Cheers for that, I thought a card would be associated with the offending post.

I wonder would making it public help fellow posters learn from others mistakes?

Nope, an action could be based on one post or multiple posts or the general behaviour of a poster to date in that forum. It's not always an exact science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Harold Finchs Machine

I certainly (and Id be confident that pretty much every other mod would be exactly the same) didn't hold a grudge to any reporter or anything of the sort.

If you think a mod is abusing their powers OP then dont be afraid to PM one of the admins. Reports of shenanigans are always taken extremely seriously.
    Didnt some mod have a fit awhile back when he saw a reported post about him and cause hassle for the reporter?

Youd want those reports going to the cmods instead of reported posts forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Didnt some mod have a fit awhile back when he saw a reported post about him and cause hassle for the reporter?

Any links to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Any links to this?

if it happened in the mod forum then he can hardly link it.

either he's an ex-mod or knows a mod who showed him the mod forums, which isn't all that surprising. It's next to impossible to live with or be married to someone who's a mod and not sometimes see the mod forums.

Same goes for people who are living with or married to CMods or even Admins and Staff - those people have access to forums that "lower" ranked people don't, but if anyone thinks they are "secret" or uber safe, then think again.

I know for sure of at least one "normal user" who was able to read the mod forum. I have a fair idea of other people using a partners account to access parts of the site that they shouldn't be, and even carrying the duties of the (say) CMod, under the CMod's name, when the CMod is demonstrably at a location where it would be impossible for them to be carrying out those tasks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Either that, or someone forgot to send me mine after all these years :pac:
    They were waiting for you in room 10A, green corridor, third floor...
    if it happened in the mod forum then he can hardly link it.
    But by definition if I was out for a Vendetta against a user the last place I'd put it would be the Moderator forum because there are another 600+ Moderators there to call me up on being a Muppet (and the Cmods and Admins to check exactly what I've done, what infractions/bans etc.) and are used to look for such activity. Hence the chances that a Moderator with a vendetta (in any form) would make a post about it are minimal so why would the lack of access to said forum in any form be relating to sharing information on said incident (and if it happened a simple PM to the relevant CMod would most likely get things sorted rather quickly).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dunno about anyone else, but I have a very strict personal rule of only ever reading about the forums I mod in the Reported Posts forum. I made an exception once when a mod from another forum asked me to respond to a report that someone had made. But that would be the only reason.

Because - I know from the forum that I mod that people report posts for all sorts of reasons, many justified, but some not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 A Fupping Rat

Any links to this?
    It's mentioned in this Thread. Ya'd find it from there if you really wanted it.

boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056447653

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

There's no posts about a mod having a fit in that thread, that I can see anyway.

There's no posts about a mod having a fit in that thread, that I can see anyway.

No, it's mentioned in it.

• Advertisement

post 19

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

When a PM is sent to a mod/user based on a reported post asking them to tone it down or whatever would it be an idea to -- as a rule --- cc in the reporter of the post?

It's quite frustrating when you know rules have been breached, especially when it's by a mod (who should know better) and for all intents and purposed it looks like you are being ignored.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

It's mentioned in this Thread. Ya'd find it from there if you really wanted it.

boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056447653
    Definitely worth highlighting the important part of that quote:
    LoLth wrote: »
    In all the time I've been on boards I think I can remember one incident where a mod abused their access to reported posts and that mod did not remain a mod after that.

When a PM is sent to a mod/user based on a reported post asking them to tone it down or whatever would it be an idea to -- as a rule --- cc in the reporter of the post?

It's quite frustrating when you know rules have been breached, especially when it's by a mod (who should know better) and for all intents and purposed it looks like you are being ignored.

Eh no....I've enough to be doing without having to faff about with sending pm's to people who report posts. Also remember that there could be multiple reports of a post, often times reports are made after the post has been dealt with.

You get that mods are volunteers yeah?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

There's already a huge amount of discussion on this, or variations thereof - the most recent thread being here. And the answer inevitably comes back to:

If you have reported a post, then you've done your part, it's not your problem anymore. Now trust in the moderators to do their part, and review it accordingly. And the chances of a RP going unnoticed is small - each forum has at least two moderators, and the reported posts also go to the CMods of the forum in question. Having a process in place where a moderator would have to PM each person who reports a post serves no purpose other than to place extra workload on moderators just to satisfy peoples curiosity.

mike_ie wrote: »
    There's already a huge amount of discussion on this, or variations thereof - the most recent thread being here. And the answer inevitably comes back to:

If you have reported a post, then you've done your part, it's not your problem anymore. Now trust in the moderators to do their part, and review it accordingly. And the chances of a RP going unnoticed is small - each forum has at least two moderators, and the reported posts also go to the CMods of the forum in question. Having a process in place where a moderator would have to PM each person who reports a post serves no purpose other than to place extra workload on moderators just to satisfy peoples curiosity.
    You've misunderstood me.

My suggestion wasn't to PM every reporter of a post but to CC in the reporter ONLY on occassions where a moderator has decided that rules have been breached but has opted to warn the infractor by PM.

Eh no....I've enough to be doing without having to faff about with sending pm's to people who report posts. Also remember that there could be multiple reports of a post, often times reports are made after the post has been dealt with.

You get that mods are volunteers yeah?
    I had assumed that this volunteering was for the sake of the users and not for the shareholders.

I had assumed that this volunteering was for the sake of the users and not for the shareholders.

And you think letting a person know who reported them by including them in a pm is good for the users?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Most of the mods have little or nothing to do in fairness.
    Most of the mods in AH don't make an appearance from one end of the year to the next.
    Rarely if ever see a mod in other forums.

And you think letting a person know who reported them by including them in a pm is good for the users?

Hope you're not suggesting mods would hold a grudge?

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Most of the mods have little or nothing to do in fairness.
    Most of the mods in AH don't make an appearance from one end of the year to the next.
    Rarely if ever see a mod in other forums.

I'm not sure if you are being purposefully obtuse or argumentative for the sake of it but:

1. Every moderator here has real life obligations, be it work, family, etc. We contribute here in our spare time, and if I may say so, even taking the above into account, each moderator dedicates considerable time to the forum that they moderate.

2. Out of curiosity I took a look at the moderator list for AH, and every person there is a regular contributor to the AH forum. Additionally, just because moderators don't announce each moderator action, doesn't mean they don't moderate regularly.

3. Which forums do you speak of?

Hope you're not suggesting mods would hold a grudge?

I'm talking about any user, not mods. If you are reporting a post in any forum and you expect every person who reported the post to be included in a sanction pm then this place will be destroyed.

mike_ie wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you are being purposefully obtuse or argumentative for the sake of it but:

1. Every moderator here has real life obligations, be it work, family, etc. We contribute here in our spare time, and if I may say so, even taking the above into account, each moderator dedicates considerable time to the forum that they moderate.

2. Out of curiosity I took a look at the moderator list for AH, and every person there is a regular contributor to the AH forum. Additionally, just because moderators don't announce each moderator action, doesn't mean they don't moderate regularly.

3. Which forums do you speak of?

Bargain Alerts.
    My local Forum
    AH.
    There's probably others I dip into.
    Only know what I see.One or two mods in AH do most of the work.

No. What I think would be good for the users and by extension the mods and the site would be my suggestion, which involves virtually no extra work for the volunteers but potentially could save a lot of grief for them.

If it appears to me that rules are ignored (based on apparent disregard for reported posts which are are in breach of these rules) then I am far more likely to breach these myself. This can set off a chain reaction where I do breach the rules, get infracted/banned, open up a helpdesk thread etc based on the apparent double-standards

No. What I think would be good for the users and by extension the mods and the site would be my suggestion, which involves virtually no extra work for the volunteers but potentially could save a lot of grief for them.

If it appears to me that rules are ignored (based on apparent disregard for reported posts which are are in breach of these rules) then I am far more likely to breach these myself. This can set off a chain reaction where I do breach the rules, get infracted/banned, open up a helpdesk thread etc based on the apparent double-standards

It involves a lot more work.

I'm not going to write down every single person who reports the post and then try include them in a mass pm telling someone off. Nor am I going to send an individual pm to any person who reports a post after I've dealt with the post.

Not to mention the confusion if two mods action a post at the same time, which I've managed to do with my co-mods on more than one occasion.

To be honest, this reads like you are just looking for a loophole to break the rules.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A quick look at the posting stats for the 8(!) AH mods shows they all have at the very least around 1000 posts in AH, a few have close to 10,000. Not sure how you could reach the above conclusion.

That's not counting the cmods who also chip in.

AH mods are easily amongst the hardest working on the site.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

A quick look at the posting stats for the 8(!) AH mods shows they all have at the very least around 1000 posts in AH, a few have close to 10,000. Not sure how you could reach the above conclusion.

That's not counting the cmods who also chip in.

We're talking about moderating Posting is their own businsess.

Not really bothered one way or the other.Just an observation.

Bargain Alerts.
    My local Forum
    AH.

Not that I should answer for any other moderator here, but knowing just how much work they guys in AH put into modding there, I took a quick look and the most outstanding moderator action from a particular moderator was 4 days ago. The most recent, minutes ago. Just because you don't see it, don't mean it's not there.

Because you can point to a quiet forum such as your local forum, doesn't set precedent for saying "Most of the mods have little or nothing to do in fairness", and as such have plenty of time to inform you of their reported posts, in fact most mods moderate multiple fora, not to mention the CMods who have a window on every forum in their particular category.

As has been stated countless times, if you see a post that you think is worth reporting, then report it. And let the moderators and CMods make their best judgement on it as to how to deal with it, if it is indeed actionable. To be honest I can't get my head around the insistence that certain posters have that moderators report each and every action on a reported post to them, other than to use it as yet another stick to engage in whataboutery in, and to beat moderators over the head with should they not agree with the action taken.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have little doubt over this. What non-mods perhaps do not appreciate is how much discussion takes place behind the scenes. I can see at the CMod level a lot of discussion within the CMods forum on AH matters for example. I have no idea how much that is supplemented by discussion within the AH Mods forum. I can speak about the Sports forums and the amount of discussion that takes place amongst mods there. Using my own stats as an example, my second highest post count is in the Cycling Mods forum, and after that it's the Soccer Mods forum (where I have 2 and a half times as many posts as I have in the CMods forum). My posts in the Dispute Resolution forum don't show up in the stats, but I reckon quite a substantial part of my time on Boards nowadays is spent on modding matters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Bargain Alerts.
    My local Forum
    AH.

In the past week, I've seen moderation in AH from kersplat, whoopsa, humanji, micky and liz. All of the AH mods are ridiculously active.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement