Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

http://www.thejournal.ie/noirin-osullivan-justice-committee-2012405-Mar2015/

I presume this is the link to the article.

Independent TD Finian McGrath asked the Commissioner if she knew how many legally-held firearms have been used in crimes.
    She said she didn’t have such figures to hand, but would revert back to him on this.

And now this information is available ???
    Because the garda already said they had no way whatsoever of finding out because of them criminals with their paper files

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

No doubt though they are those with licensed firearms who are a danger. Mostly to themselves through stupidity.

While the new proposals are a pain, the public safety issue seems to be garnering no attention at all by, ironically enough, the public. Aside from a couple of small items on the radio theres no public outcry or ringing of phone-in shows showing any concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

bpb101 wrote: »
    And now this information is available ???
    Because the garda already said they had no way whatsoever of finding out because of them criminals with their paper files
    No, but she can revert back to him and tell him that.
    Somehow I don't think Deputy McGrath occupies the Commissioner's mind much :D

Sparks wrote: »
    No, but she can revert back to him and tell him that.
    Somehow I don't think Deputy McGrath occupies the Commissioner's mind much :D
    a man who wants his name in the papers.... That was the only reason he asked that. Surely he has read the report and know the answer( but their again, it wouldnt surprised me if neither him or the commissioner read it)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

a man who wants his name in the papers.... That was the only reason he asked that. Surely he has read the report and know the answer( but their again, it wouldnt surprised me if neither him or the commissioner read it)

Or the answers don't suit his world view of what he and his ICABS pals are spouting...A very unsure man if he won't go to an invite to prove to himself that his prejudices are justified.
    I expect more twitterings from him anytime soon.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

I didn't realise criminals were that concerned with logistics and efficiency and waste.
    The really smart ones most certainly would be to the point of obsession. Keeps you out of jail and /or a premature funeral.
    There are three types of criminal ,mad, bad and stupid . Lucky for us in Ireland we have a lot of no 1 and no 3in the criminal milleu.We just elect a lot of no 2 to the Dail instead.
    Personally, I figure if you're going to stand up in a formal setting like that and make claims, you ought to have facts and figures to back them up.
    I guess not everyone shares that view...

When has that ever concerned the bould Finian? ?Facts and figures when it suits his Pov.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I don't know where to start with this one. Here's that road sign he held up the photo of:

343101.jpg

That's a UK road sign. See? From the UK:

343103.jpg

The Irish one is a different colour, shape and design:

343102.jpg

Shouldn't either the Garda Commissioner or anyone in the room have noticed that?
    Or did we change all the road sign laws in the last few years and nobody told me yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

I don't know where to start with this one. Here's that road sign he held up the photo of:

343101.jpg

That's a UK road sign. See? From the UK:

343103.jpg

The Irish one is a different colour, shape and design:

343102.jpg

Shouldn't either the Garda Commissioner or anyone in the room have noticed that?
    Or did we change all the road sign laws in the last few years and nobody told me yet?

This is one of the best gaffs I've seen in a long time. Please tell me someone has already popped him on Twitter & Facebook about this one.

hexosan wrote: »
    This is one of the best gaffs I've seen in a long time. Please tell me someone has already popped him on Twitter & Facebook about this one.
    That might be seen as the gun lobby bullying him GET IT!

also lads, to actually look at the sign, does it look like it was shot(with a rifle or handgun) and then shot with a shotgun?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

It could be in the North.......

tac

• Advertisement

hexosan wrote: »

https://twitter.com/MarkDennehy/status/580825073612951552

tac foley wrote: »
    It could be in the North.......
    Yeah, that's still another country though tac.
    You'd imagine the Garda Commissioner would have mentioned to the TD that it wasn't her problem to be answering for law enforcement in other jurisdictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Yeah, that's still another country though tac.

That is my point. He could equally have posted a shot-up sign from Botswana - it's just as valid in HIS argument.

More to the point is that the technology does not yet exist on this planet to determine whether or not a bullet-hole was put there by a legal or illegal firearm.

tac

also lads, to actually look at the sign, does it look like it was shot(with a rifle or handgun) and then shot with a shotgun?

Very up close with a shotgun,there are a good few around the countryside with that tell tle damage.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pilatus

I wouldn't fancy shooting those signs anyway ,besides the fact your gun probably has a higher magazine capacity than your IQ capacity if your at that sh1te, I'd be bloody feared of ricochets .

pilatus wrote: »
    I wouldn't fancy shooting those signs anyway ,besides the fact your gun probably has a higher magazine capacity than your IQ capacity if your at that sh1te, I'd be bloody feared of ricochets .

Not to mention that it breaks the law a lot. Vandalism, destruction of public property, reckless discharge of a firearm, target shooting outside of an authorised range, shooting while less than 60 feet from a road, breaching the terms of your licence, and that's just the ones I can think of in 30 seconds, I suspect there are quite a few others you could tack on there if you put your mind to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

What a load of sh1te from McGrath. He not only does he know the UK sign was shot with a lawfully held firearm, but it was also a high caliber (what ever that is) firearm.

The man shouldn't be allowed out on this own!

• Advertisement

There was a bright point in all that though - did anyone watch the Garda Commissioner's reaction yet?

First thing she does is defend licenced firearms owners.
    (Yes, I know, that doesn't translate to an instant seachange, I'm not saying it is; I'm just saying it was a nice contrast to Superintendent Healy's testimony back in December).

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

I did notice that, but Finian is still a MORON! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

He tried to cover his arse by saying that he "might" have been wrong but it happens all over the country, yet the only sign he chose to use was a UK one.

"For the last three months the gun lobby has been after me", what an ego!!!!. We nothing you, you limelight seeking scaremongerer. On one hand you ask for everyone to think of public safety then on the other you try to repeal smoking bans which leads to cancer, 2nd hand smoke, and other related diseases that kills more than more guns, road accidents and most other things combined. Not to mention puts enormous pressure on the national health service to threat people with such ailments. However as long as you can light up in the pub, hotel, restaurant, or car that is all that matters? Public safety McGrath - GET IT!!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever asked him what restrictions he would recommend to tighten up gun control? I mean he stated time and again that he wants it tightened up, but never actually says how he would go about his.

What really needs to happen (although it's not possible) iS for everyone to ignore him. He cannot keep getting press and air time if he goes unnoticed and believe me his only goal here is to make it seem that he is looking out for the best interests of his constituents and so guarantee his re-election. At which point he can once again fade into the background for a few more years while getting his €100K+ salary.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

There was a bright point in all that though - did anyone watch the Garda Commissioner's reaction yet?

First thing she does is defend licenced firearms owners.
    (Yes, I know, that doesn't translate to an instant seachange, I'm not saying it is; I'm just saying it was a nice contrast to Superintendent Healy's testimony back in December).

What, Finian could find no legally-held black rifles used to massacre children or Glocks used to carjack old ladies in broad daylight?

A UK roadsign damaged by a shotgun - scraping the bottom of the barrel, much?

Don't give him any ammo between now and the election - bet he would have held up a malicious "gun lobby" tweet, if he had one.

He's dirtied his bib with Noirin, now - pulling a stunt asking her in a public forum about an incident which turned out to have occurred in the UK, which she rightly claimed to have no specific knowledge of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

We're paying this grandstanding idiot €87 grand a year, plus generous expenses, plus money to run an office, plus an assistant, plus phones and all the stationery he can use, plus travel?

Nice work if you can #GetIt !

Was thinking along these lines. .Seeing that he like all gun banners is looking for" safe and reasonable gun laws".Why not ask him in public and all media to state exactly what he is looking for that's safe and reasonable?It shows that we are yet again trying to be reasonable people who are willing to compromise and neogiate and allay his concerns. ..If he doesn't answer this in any way and claims he doesn't want to arouse the gun lobby's ire.We can safely say publicly that the man is just an attention seeking one term politican. As we have then been shown to have bent over backwards to accommodate him and he can't provide a reasonable or even illogical counter proposal to say what his opinion of safe and reasonable gun laws are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Was thinking along these lines. .Seeing that he like all gun banners is looking for" safe and reasonable gun laws".Why not ask him in public and all media to state exactly what he is looking for that's safe and reasonable?It shows that we are yet again trying to be reasonable people who are willing to compromise and neogiate and allay his concerns. ..If he doesn't answer this in any way and claims he doesn't want to arouse the gun lobby's ire.We can safely say publicly that the man is just an attention seeking one term politican. As we have then been shown to have bent over backwards to accommodate him and he can't provide a reasonable or even illogical counter proposal to say what his opinion of safe and reasonable gun laws are.

Right now he is perceived as an attention-seeking fool by the public, media and Noirin O'Sullivan alike.

He's doing us a service with his backfiring stunts - 300+ complaints to prime time and the UK road sign won't curry him any favours in media circles - which are weakening the case for the proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Guys why don't you start treating him like a mushroom-keep him in the dark and feed him full of ****e, if you keep taking him on he gets the air time he wants and needs, he's like a toothache annoying for awhile but it does go away.

• Advertisement

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Guys why don't you start treating him like a mushroom-keep him in the dark and feed him full of ****e, if you keep taking him on he gets the air time he wants and needs, he's like a toothache annoying for awhile but it does go away.

Because McGrath publicly making an idiot of himself is some of the best publicity there's been in twenty years for the utter clusterbleep that is the Firearms Act. And maybe, just maybe, it might get something done to fix it.

Advertisement