Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's a little mouse in my living room

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thats fine to say but where you have mice you have rats.
    Old wives tale. I've had a couple of mice in my time, but never rats.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Kill it, kill it fast, kill it with prejudice.

Seek out and destroy any others of its kind, and there will be more. You are only seeing the baby, 80 ****s a night mouse, the big momma is off somewhere popping out another 20 or so of the little ****s.

Don't wait till morning, trap it in the room, get the sweeping brush or something you can swing and will do damage and smash the ****ers head in. Finally, leave his corpse outside your house, head stuck on a spike as a warning to the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Aww man, those little doormice break my feckin heart so they do.
    They are just the cutest, scarediest little mites :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So seriously.. is it okay for me to ignore it for the night?

Every time I sit down the wee fecker breaks for the border and tries to scale the door frame looking for a way out. It legs it back into the corner when I or my dog looks at it.
    Sounds like it's a recent visitor MniU. Doesn't have the lay of the land. If it had been there for a while it wouldn't be doing that I reckon. Poor thing sounds like it's trying to escape. Your dog would add to that. The smell or dog or cat usually keeps mice(and rats) away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Wibbs wrote: »

I'm not telling you how to suck eggs, just because you haven't seen them does not mean they are not there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

They come in for the warmth. Turn off all your heating, open all the doors and windows, make the place like an ice-box. Upside, no more mice.
    Then why is my yard shed full of mice in winter?

Mice take their warmth where they can get it. Indoors are always warmer than outdoors, heating or no heating.

I have the inaccessible yard shed to prove it. Hate mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

So seriously.. is it okay for me to ignore it for the night?

That depends. Do you have a beard? That could anger the mouse when it crawls onto your face in the wee small hours and you can feel the little guy crawling onto your duvet and underneath onto your body so it can explore you with its scratchy little paws and its long tail and the tongue its going to lick you with. If you have a beard it could enrage it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agreed, no real truth to that. And let's face it, no matter where you live, city or farm, there are mice & rats somewhere. It's winter time and mice come in seeking some warmth. We all gotta live after all. And mice are fierce fecking smart.

Me, I have no issues with mice as long as they're not up on the counters or eating food. I'd get a humane trap and release it outside. You might end up playing mousie ping pong for a while, in and out of the house.

I despise mousetraps, viciously cruel things that don't always kill cleanly.

In your case, it sounds quite agitated. Can you try to trap it gently, and release it outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Take off and nuke it from orbit its the only way to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If your mouses tail is long it's a baby rat :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Lads, hang on now. Isn't the rule of thumb that if you see mice, you don't have rats? That makes way more sense. Imagine how fcuking terrifying a rat is to a mouse, are you feck going to compete for resources with a big hard bastard like that. It's half the reason I don't mind seeing the odd mouse around the place, means I don't have to worry about the rats.

I'm not telling you how to suck eggs, just because you haven't seen them does not mean they are not there.
    I can pretty much sleep easy that they're not. In fairness, over the years my various hounds have been hairy holocausts to rats. My current hound has a very long list of "things that must fcuking die" and so far that includes one rat(while out on a walk by a local river), four magpies and a pigeon and the postman is on borrowed time... Mice they seem to be momentarily bemused by, but that's about it. Maybe a mice sized bite isn't worth the effort? A dog or cat is your only man for rodentia as a general rule. A mate of mine had a mouse problem, adopted a wild as fcuk cat and no more mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Glue boards, it's the best option really.

A dog or cat is your only man for rodentia as a general rule. A mate of mine had a mouse problem, adopted a wild as fcuk cat and no more mice.

Wrong on saying a cat is your only man, a cat will not face a nest where a mother rat has her young.
    Are your hounds miniature to say they can do all this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

I don't have any traps around to lay down.

Should I be concerned?

It's only a wee little thing. As I was about to turn of a lamp I seen it ran from under the stand to a corner of the room where there's a rarely used cabinet.

Should I leave it be for now... or crack out a can of Lynx and a Zippo?

I tried this once the little bugger was going into the stud walls , i thought it would be great idea to spray few cans in there and ignite, hhhmmmm really dont know what i was thinking.

End result mouse laughing at me while i replaced the slab in the next room which i had blown from floor to ceiling haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

conorh91 wrote: »
    Then why is my yard shed full of mice in winter?

Mice take their warmth where they can get it. Indoors are always warmer than outdoors, heating or no heating.

I have the inaccessible yard shed to prove it. Hate mice.

Erm, my advice may not have been entirely serious. Or even advicey. Or even sane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Wrong on saying a cat is your only man, a cat will not face a nest where a mother rat has her young.
    Are your hounds miniature to say they can do all this work?

Jack Russell...better than any cat

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

catallus wrote: »
    Mice like to lick people's faces when the people are asleep.

TRUE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Ugh we have them as well, my boyfriend wouldn't put the traps down so I got rentokil out. 200 euro to put down a few bait boxes. Disgusting little creptiles

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

Seriously mice have no boundaries. My son woke up one morning to a sensation and thought it was me tickling him to get up for school. He woke up to a mouse leap frogging over him in the bed. We didn't believe until we seen the mouse droppings in the sheets, that was the last of him eating crisps in the bed.

• Advertisement

Erm, my advice may not have been entirely serious. Or even advicey. Or even sane.

Gallon of petrol and matches always best advice.

kryogen wrote: »
    Kill it, kill it fast, kill it with prejudice.

Seek out and destroy any others of its kind, and there will be more. You are only seeing the baby, 80 ****s a night mouse, the big momma is off somewhere popping out another 20 or so of the little ****s.

Don't wait till morning, trap it in the room, get the sweeping brush or something you can swing and will do damage and smash the ****ers head in. Finally, leave his corpse outside your house, head stuck on a spike as a warning to the others.

Fuggin hell, thanks, now ill be awake for the rest of the night, UGH

Not true! Not true.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If your mouses tail is long it's a baby rat :eek:

Jesus Christ. It's getting worse. Can't cope with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,265 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ugh we have them as well, my boyfriend wouldn't put the traps down so I got rentokil out. 200 euro to put down a few bait boxes. Disgusting little creptiles

You wouldn't put the traps down either!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 daukey34

Let a cat into your house for a while , he'll clear off wonce he senses a cat , or the cat will just take him out literally

Not true! Not true.

Are you a rat whisperer or something? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,265 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A handy home made trap is a shallow bowl with about 6mm of olive oil in it. Make a little ramp up to the rim. The little buggers will go for the tasty oil, and it's kinda funny in the morning when you come down to a bowl of furiously scrambling and comically stationary mouse slicks. You can let them off on the garden. Cats like olive oil covered mice. Feline anti pasti.

endacl wrote: »
    You wouldn't put the traps down either!

I am TERRIFIED of mice. Even reading about them makes me feel like there's phantom ones crawling all over me. I won't even pick up a mousetrap, brand new, in a shop because it freaks me out. I once was carrying a copy of Ireland's own on dunnes going to pay for it when I noticed a photo of one on the back cover, and I flung that magazine so hard across the floor people must have thought it bit me.

So no setting traps for me, no emptying dead ones.

I'm pure nervous they'll end up poisoned in my shoes or something. See me getting ready for work some morning and a dead mouse wedged down at my toes. EUGH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Ahh jaysus, leave him or her alone. It probably came from your garden/outside because you left a door open and left bits of food about the place. So long as they're not eating into your cupboards I say live and let live. A few years ago I had one in my living room. No mess, no fuss involved. I think the poor little thing was old, as it was slow and built a small nest of sorts out of bits of paper behind a sofa where the heat was. It even let me get close at times and would pop out and look straight at me of an evening and amble within a foot of me. I suppose I wasn't threatening it. Then it seemed to get sick. At which point it let me feed it bits of food and even stroke it. In the end the poor thing pegged it one day. So for a while it was my wild mouse pet. Than again I'm weird as fook and have an immune system like granite. Your milage may vary.
    You let a mouse poo poo all over your living room?

Advertisement