Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's a little mouse in my living room

Options
  • 12-11-2014 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have any traps around to lay down.

Should I be concerned?

It's only a wee little thing. As I was about to turn of a lamp I seen it ran from under the stand to a corner of the room where there's a rarely used cabinet.

Should I leave it be for now... or crack out a can of Lynx and a Zippo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

They come in for the warmth. Turn off all your heating, open all the doors and windows, make the place like an ice-box. Upside, no more mice. Downside, bloody freezing...maybe tolerate/trap the mouse..There's one here too, scratching around..little buggers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Does he have clogs on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Sure leave him off until you can get some traps, what exactly do you think he's going to do to you between now and tomorrow?

Unless there's a chance he might read this thread, in which case you are royally fcuked. Mice are notoriously intolerant of threats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Lynx and zippo, yea yea yea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Mice like to lick people's faces when the people are asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭siblers

If it's a female mouse and it's pregnant you could have an explosion of mice, plus the fact that they **** everywhere so it's not exactly hygenic. Could get a humane trap I guess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

If there is one mouse the general rule is there is loads of mice, they breed like mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I don't mean to be negative but it's probably a baby rat that is carrying the deadly Ebola virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

At least it's not a spider..

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Fame and Demise

Maybe its ancestors lived there long ago and it's just reclaiming his property. The right thing to do is move out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Get one of those humane traps and release it back to into the wild

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Get a cat to kill the mouse.

Then get a large and aggressive dog to kill the cat.

You're going to need perhaps a bear to get rid of the dog... and he should be heading into hibernation soon enough. Problem solved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ahh jaysus, leave him or her alone. It probably came from your garden/outside because you left a door open and left bits of food about the place. So long as they're not eating into your cupboards I say live and let live. A few years ago I had one in my living room. No mess, no fuss involved. I think the poor little thing was old, as it was slow and built a small nest of sorts out of bits of paper behind a sofa where the heat was. It even let me get close at times and would pop out and look straight at me of an evening and amble within a foot of me. I suppose I wasn't threatening it. Then it seemed to get sick. At which point it let me feed it bits of food and even stroke it. In the end the poor thing pegged it one day. So for a while it was my wild mouse pet. Than again I'm weird as fook and have an immune system like granite. Your milage may vary.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Lia_lia wrote: »
    At least it's not a spider..

There are thousands of those here. Spiders are bros, though

I don't know what this tiny mouse's agenda is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Only one thing for it op is gallon of petrol and a box of maguire and patterson, let it off. Ill call tomo with the digger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

It's you or him / her.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ahh jaysus, leave him or her alone. It probably came from your garden/outside because you left a door open and left bits of food about the place. So long as they're not eating into your cupboards I say live and let live. A few years ago I had one in my living room. No mess, no fuss involved. I think the poor little thing was old, as it was slow and built a small nest of sorts out of bits of paper behind a sofa where the heat was. It even let me get close at times and would pop out and look straight at me of an evening and amble within a foot of me. I suppose I wasn't threatening it. Then it seemed to get sick. At which point it let me feed it bits of food and even stroke it. In the end the poor thing pegged it one day. So for a while it was my wild mouse pet. Than again I'm weird as fook and have an immune system like granite. Your milage may vary.

They generally appear indoors this time of year with the cold weather,I'd be the same can't stand to see them killed in a trap or a cat that just toys with them, poor little fcukers

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ahh jaysus, leave him or her alone. It probably came from your garden/outside because you left a door open and left bits of food about the place.

Thats fine to say but where you have mice you have rats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

They generally appear indoors this time of year with the cold weather,I'd be the same can't stand to see them killed in a trap or a cat that just toys with them, poor little fcukers

Aye, they're quite sweet wee things really, I've spent more time than I care to admit rescuing them. If they didn't pee and poop everywhere I'd just leave them be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Do not leave your door open to make your house cold, really bad idea, you're morely likely to end up with more mice coming in.

Really this time of the year its better to take more preventative measures, don't leave your door open, don't leave rubbish or pet food around outside, use those ultrasonic mouse repellers.

Google "homemade humane mouse trap" or "homemade no kill mouse trap", there's loads of ways to catch it without a trap so you can just return it outside.

Also just coz you only saw one, there could be more so bear that in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If it's a dormouse leave the wee pet alone. They are lovely wee things.

If it's a common mouse annihilate the fcuker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭greasepalm

surprised you dont have a ultrasonic pest repeller as it keeps house clear when you need it most.

greasepalm wrote: »
    surprised you dont have a ultrasonic pest repeller as it keeps house clear when you need it most.

Does it work on humanoids too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Have you considered he was there before you and now your living in his room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Actually, do the decent thing and move out to the garden. He deserves the house.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There are thousands of those here. Spiders are bros, though
    Agreed. For nigh on a year I had a big feck off wolf spider that lived behind the mirror in my bedroom(yes I am a narcissist). I'd say she(the big ones are usually shes) was about two inches(in old money) across in leg span. I figured fcuk it, she's eating something and I'd prefer her getting fat on other creepy crawlies, than have them with the run of the place.

One night I awoke from slumber and what do my eyes sleepily focus upon but her on the pillow beside me. I froze in shock and the cool thing for me, so did she. :D Went stock still and then drew in her legs very slowly. Me a great ape in recline, her an arachnid, both of us thinking "oh fcuk!". So we sat there eyeball to eyeball(she having the advantage with eight of same) for a few minutes, neither moving. Then we both chilled out and she wandered off away from the statue of liberty sized human. :) We bumped into each other in similar circumstance on two other occasions. God knows what she was at when I was out for the count. Probably doing a jig on my sleepy head and fair play to her. :) And to add to my weirdness, I missed her when she was gone.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So seriously.. is it okay for me to ignore it for the night?

Every time I sit down the wee fecker breaks for the border and tries to scale the door frame looking for a way out. It legs it back into the corner when I or my dog looks at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Thats fine to say but where you have mice you have rats.

Where ever there are rats there are cats,
    Where ever there are cats there are dogs.
    If you got the dogs you got bitches.
    Bitches Always out to put their paws on your riches.
    If you got riches,you got glitches.
    If you got glitches in your life computer turn it off and then reboota.
    Now you back on.
    Can't just put the cap on the old bottle once you pop it that will spoil it, gone and drink it and enjoy it.
    Mama i'ma Millionaire.

So seriously.. is it okay for me to ignore it for the night?

Ease off on the sauce no.1 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Does it work on humanoids too?

that would be the 7-1 sound system turned up too high:D

Advertisement