Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IS IT DISCRIMINATION???

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

in what climate? it's a landlords market, there are plenty of people looking to rent and rents are rising like crazy.

What exactly will banning it achieve? If my housemate (male) was to move out and I had to replace him, and I thought to myself well I'd like to have another bloke living here cos its handy for reaching things down of top shelves for me, and I just don't get on with girls, all that drama(I don't feel that way btw) so I think I'll look for a male, non smoking, professional housemate. Up goes the ad, without these specifications and I have to waste my time, and applicants time responding to people who are not the kind of people I want to live with ie: female/unemployed/smokes 20 a day/all of the above. How on earth does that benefit anyone?
    smoking is a non issue, and i'm a non smoker. i've lived with smokers, plenty of room for both

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

smoking is a non issue, and i'm a non smoker. i've lived with smokers, plenty of room for both

You might not have an issue living with a smoker but plenty of others do. Living with a smoker could affect ones health. Not to mention the wear and tear cigarette smoke can cause a houses furniture and fittings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

You might not have an issue living with a smoker but plenty of others do. Living with a smoker could affect ones health. Not to mention the wear and tear ciggerate smoke can cause a houses furniture and fittings.

Is it not worth lung cancer to boast of such a wildly cosmopolitan existence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Thanks for the insight into personal life. Completely irrelevant to the topic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

smoking is a huge issue, I would never under any circumstances live with smoker. I have no interest in having my home, or belongings stinking of smoke, not to mention the adverse health affects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

The problem is,most females will not house share with a male and males are open to both, this gives women a major advantage looking for houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I have severe asthma, living with a smoker would have a high likely hood of literally killing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

LenaClaire wrote: »
    I have severe asthma, living with a smoker would have a high likely hood of literally killing me.

That's a no, then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Smoking's not an issue for *you* but clearly is for many other people. I'm a smoker and would rather not live in a house where people were smoking inside.

I think in a perfect world, there would be no specifications on people's gender/sexuality/culture when looking for a house share but these things are important to some people. Look at it a different way: if this stuff really annoys you, then it's a good way of weeding out places that you're definitely not going to be happy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

it is . it is the provision of a service, IE the paying of rent in turn for a room or a full house

sharing your house is not a professional service

regardless of your insistence

if you can point to anything official to indicate wanting to live with someone of only one gender is illegal I'd be interested...

• Advertisement
Advertisement