Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IS IT DISCRIMINATION???

Options
  • 11-11-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

I am on daft at the moment looking to rent a room in the area I currently live as I know the locality and familiar with the area and like it here. The only problem is that when I put in all my criteria I found a few places I really like. However I have looked at the ads and they all say female roommate only.

Are you allowed make statements such as "female only applicants" or "looking for female roommate only" or vice versa in relation to male roommates when it comes to advertising a room.

If a job was advertised as only one specific gender is allowed apply it would be classed as discrimination. If I were gay and refused the room or refused it because I was from a different ethnic background there would be newspaper articles and radio shows etc about it.

If we were to go by the book then definition alone then yes it is discrimination but at the end of the day is it just personal preference?

You constantly hear about people looking for the government to do something about the fact that so many of the rental listings say "rent allowance not accepted" etc and there are loads of different groups canvassing the government to the same effect.

In this day and age should people be allowed to refuse to rent someone a room based on the gender.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Gannicus wrote: »

In this day and age should people be allowed to refuse to rent someone a room based on the gender.

Yes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Maybe a female room mate only wants to share the room with another female?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

No it's not. I've sub-rented out the house a number of times to both genders.
    Men and Women are different. People should have a right to live with whoever they feel most comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

If I were gay and refused the room or refused it because I was from a different ethnic background there would be newspaper articles and radio shows etc about it.

I think I know what you have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Seriously, they're renting a room in their house, they have every right to pick and choose based on whatever grounds they feel suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Yes

Why? If you were refused for sexual orientation, ethnicity/nationality its classed as discrimination.

If the ad said "whites only" there would be mayhem (rightly so).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Maybe you have that look about you, up for a bit of devilment and they dont trust you?

Burn the house down?

Daith wrote: »
    I think I know what you have to do.

Enlighten me

Maybe you have that look about you, up for a bit of devilment and they dont trust you?

Burn the house down?

What look these are all ads I've read on daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Changing the law to make it illegal will not change anything in practice, other than advertisers wasting people's time pretending to consider them for a room they are definitely not going to get.

Changing the law to make it illegal will not change anything in practice, other than advertisers wasting people's time pretending to consider them for a room they are definitely not going to get.

Then why is it not socially acceptable to put "straights only" or "whites only" on the very same advert.... leaving all legality aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Enlighten me

What look these are all ads I've read on daft.

Lol im just taking the piss man, but seriously if they wish to live with girls only thats their choice, i am sure there are plenty of places who do not want girls living with them for whatever reasons.

Good luck with the house hunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I am on daft at the moment looking to rent a room in the area I currently live as I know the locality and familiar with the area and like it here. The only problem is that when I put in all my criteria I found a few places I really like. However I have looked at the ads and they all say female roommate only.

Are you allowed make statements such as "female only applicants" or "looking for female roommate only" or vice versa in relation to male roommates when it comes to advertising a room.

If a job was advertised as only one specific gender is allowed apply it would be classed as discrimination. If I were gay and refused the room or refused it because I was from a different ethnic background there would be newspaper articles and radio shows etc about it.

If we were to go by the book then definition alone then yes it is discrimination but at the end of the day is it just personal preference?

You constantly hear about people looking for the government to do something about the fact that so many of the rental listings say "rent allowance not accepted" etc and there are loads of different groups canvassing the government to the same effect.

I think advertising for a job and advertising for someone to share your room with are two very different things. Perhaps it's a female who would feel safer sharing a room with a girl?

As far as I can recall, discrimination is not an issue between private individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Why? If you were refused for sexual orientation, ethnicity/nationality its classed as discrimination.

If the ad said "whites only" there would be mayhem (rightly so).

Maybe but it doesn't have to be written on the ad to turn down people you don't want to share your house with.

There's no issue and really they're just saving your time from being wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Place your own ad

"Male looking to rent a room in a house or apartment where other occupants are female and hot!"

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sex change OP, it's the only solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Then why is it not socially acceptable to put "straights only" or "whites only" on the very same advert.... leaving all legality aside.

I don't know, but presumably because straight people or white people, as groups, are not perceived to have the same history of discrimination against them.

o1s1n wrote: »

Go gay. Women love the gays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I've seen ads for Gay only flatmates. Is that discrimination against straight people?

If you're going to be sharing a house with someone else for a prolonged period of time, it's best to advertise for someone you'll personally feel more comfortable sharing with. I don't see the big deal in that, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Packrat

Because it's IMPOSSIBLE to discriminate against white males OP.

We are the cause of everything bad in the world, and anything bad that happens to us is good enough for us.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

o1s1n wrote: »

Or you could do a 'Spaced' meets 'Mrs Doubtfire' caper where you pretend to be a girl to get the room and then have to play the role as a woman in all situations where your cover risks being blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

It's only discrimination if it is against a historically persecuted group, I think the logic goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I've seen houses that have been advertised for male applicants as well so it isn't all a one-way thing. There could be a variety of reasons for wanting a housemate of a certain gender.

1) Religious. Some communities (Muslims etc) would only feel comfortable cohabiting with people of the same sex.
    2) House Dynamic - Our house has three lads and two girls. When one of the girls moved out we advertised for another girl so there would be an even gender balance and the last girl wouldn't feel she was surrounded by a load of lads.
    3) Shared interests. I've seen flats advertised here for gay/lesbians only etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Packrat wrote: »

We are the cause of everything bad in the world, and anything bad that happens to us is good enough for us.

It works both ways in this case though. Feel free to stick 'men only' in your next ad on daft. Nobody is going to stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've seen ads for Gay only flatmates. Is that discrimination against straight people?

If you're going to be sharing a house with someone else for a prolonged period of time, it's best to advertise for someone you'll personally feel more comfortable sharing with. I don't see the big deal in that, tbh.

Wasn't there a case recently where a man bashed his gay room mate's head in with a hammer because he was viciously homophobic...

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/man-21-left-gay-roommate-18-with-brain-injury-in-claw-hammer-attack-weeks-after-disparaging-remarks-30570610.html

I don't think anyone would be well served by orchestrating a situation where homophobic people are forced to share intimate space with gay people. At least not in the short term.

YES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Packrat wrote: »

That's some victim mentality

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, it's discrimination. But then preferring blue jeans over black ones is also discrimination. That's what the word means.

Is it illegal? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

I think the main issue here is the comfort and safety of the home owner or other tenant. I think it's unfair to compare it to racism or homophobia because statistically those groups aren't more likely to rape and murder someone then someone of a different ethnicity or sexual identification. Of course that's not to suggest all men are rapists or killers but we live in a society were women are told to protect themselves as opposed to they should presume all men are not a threat until they feel uncomfortable with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I've seen Irish only - that should not be allowed I've never seen Gay only, gay friendly yes

Advertisement