Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being judged for having your hood up?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Actually more like 20-30% - and when you combine all the heat loss = 100% of a persons body, and divide that by the number of places where heat is lost, then I do believe you will find the majority of that heat loss comes from the head

That was debunked years ago. It's between 5 and 10%. Blood flow and mass to surface area etc come in to play as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I wear tracksuit bottoms if I'm going running, I occasionally wear a hooding to work and I put the hood up if it's raining. I wear a hat when it's cold.

When I see lads walking around town wearing a tracksuit with the hood up I have to admit I automatically think they're a scumbag. It's based on the fact that I knew older members of their families a few years back that dressed the same way and they were definitely scumbags in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hoodies are practicable clothing, something for your head if it rains or if you feel cold, keep the wind out.
    ok I live in a rural area so no one cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Yeah...no.

bbc.com/future/story/20130708-is-most-heat-lost-from-your-head

Head accounts for 9% of your bodies surface, and accounts for at most 10% of heat loss.

In one of Pretorius’s studies, volunteers were given drugs to stop them shivering, which the body does involuntarily to stem heat loss. Then they were lowered with a hoist into cold water. In some trials they were entirely submerged. In others they were not lowered as far: their heads were left exposed above the water’s surface

I stopped reading at this point

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Were you wearing a baseball cap too ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Actually more like 20-30% - and when you combine all the heat loss = 100% of a persons body, and divide that by the number of places where heat is lost, then I do believe you will find the majority of that heat loss comes from the head

Actually you're wrong,
    it only accounts for about 7%
    http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Myth-Most-body-heat-lost-from-your-head-4109456.php

Edit: took too long to reply xd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Actually it would, as the majority of heat is lost through your head, so Yes, hoodie would help keep your tads warm

Common misconception. If you had your head covered and your arse sticking out, the majority of heat would be lost through the aforementioned arse. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Actually you're wrong,
    it only accounts for about 7%
    sfgate.com/health/article/Myth-Most-body-heat-lost-from-your-head-4109456.php

Edit: took too long to reply xd

Actually we can all pull links off the Internet

healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/heat-loss-through-head

so now we can all agree to have our own opinions, and that I am right

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Hate walking past gangs of hoodies on street corners, sometimes they say things like hey mister you dropped your gay card.

That's just a ruse to get you bent over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Actually it would, as the majority of heat is lost through your head, so Yes, hoodie would help keep your tads warm

Incorrect, top of your head loses no more heat than any other like sized exposed part of your body

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Birneybau wrote: »
    Common misconception. If you had your head covered and your arse sticking out, the majority of heat would be lost through the aforementioned arse. :pac:

maybe the OP's tracksuit bottoms were at half mast & thus why the afore mentioned bol!ox were frozen.

Incorrect, top of your head loses no more heat than any other like sized exposed part of your body

What if your wearing a hat but no socks?

catallus wrote: »
    What if your wearing a hat but no socks?

I presume you're wearing shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

An urban myth debunked already

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour

I presume you're wearing shoes?

Naturally. But the laces are not tied.

IDencI wrote: »
    Today I was just walking through town, minding my own business. I had a baggy tracksuit on and my hood up. I noticed that every few people who drove past were looking at me as if I had done something wrong. It was a cold day and I was freezing me boll*x off, so I put my hood up. Whats so wrong with having your hood up?? Why judge people for the way they dress?

Yeah yeah likely story.:rolleyes:
    Now now tell us, just who were you planning on clipping? :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Imagine a baboon in the forest. If he notices that everytime he gets sh!t from another monkey, it's always from a chimp, he's going to keep an eye out for chimps. It may not be fair on chimps, but the baboon certainly gets a lot less sh!t flung at him.

I'm not a baboon, but I certainly do my best to avoid poo-poo.

Naturally. But the laces are not tied.

You'll trip and give yourself brain damage...and and up arguing on this fckin thread indefinitely
    :)

Oink wrote: »
    Imagine a baboon in the forest. If he notices that everytime he gets sh!t from another monkey, it's always from a chimp, he's going to keep an eye out for chimps. It may not be fair on chimps, but the baboon certainly gets a lot less sh!t flung at him.

I'm not a baboon, but I certainly do my best to avoid poo-poo.

Chimp poo, pig poo, it all tastes the same man!!

• Advertisement

Oink wrote: »
    Imagine a baboon in the forest........

Ok. Can I rub my nipples whilst I do this?:o
    You'll trip and give yourself brain damage....
    :)

Hold on just one bloody second, nobody said anything about walking! I demand a recount! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Its the tracksuit not the hoodie that is the problem. Trackies are associated with skangers, and a trackie won't keep you warm, hoodies might.

moxin wrote: »
    Its the tracksuit not the hoodie that is the problem. Trackies are associated with skangers, and a trackie won't keep you warm, hoodies might.

Hoodies are associated with criminals, that worse!!

moxin wrote: »
    and a trackie won't keep you warm,

It will if you tuck the leg-ends into your socks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

It will if you tuck the leg-ends into your socks?

No help, your legs will freeze unless you're running around and most trackie wearers don't run, its a fashion item.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Actually we can all pull links off the Internet

healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/heat-loss-through-head

so now we can all agree to have our own opinions, and that I am right

Your link is one person that claims on "their" studies because they've done x,y, z and definitely know.
    Yet, they give NO information on said study....well if you're willing to believe that, ok then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

biko wrote: »
    Start dressing better and it won't be an issue.
    You can either take this advice or just be a man and ignore the sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Hitchens

IDencI wrote: »
    Today I was just walking through town, minding my own business. I had a baggy tracksuit on and my hood up. I noticed that every few people who drove past were looking at me as if I had done something wrong. It was a cold day and I was freezing me boll*x off, so I put my hood up. Whats so wrong with having your hood up?? Why judge people for the way they dress?
    I know a fella around our way and he loathes and detests lads wearing trackies/hoodies.

If he sees one he'll go up to him and yank the hood down and dare yer man to do something about it. He's fairly normal other than that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

How about wear appropriate clothing for the weather? Hoodies and tracksuit pants aren't the best clothes to keep you warm. Get a nice pair of winter boots, some jeans or other pants that can be warm and a decent jacket plus gloves and a hat or beanie if you want

We live in Ireland, we know its going to be cold during winter here every year, don't understand why people still don't invest in decent clothes appropriate for our climate to stay warm lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Wear what you like and never mind the stares.
    Maybe they were admiring your style;)

Advertisement