Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being judged for having your hood up?

Options
  • 08-11-2014 6:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭

Today I was just walking through town, minding my own business. I had a baggy tracksuit on and my hood up. I noticed that every few people who drove past were looking at me as if I had done something wrong. It was a cold day and I was freezing me boll*x off, so I put my hood up. Whats so wrong with having your hood up?? Why judge people for the way they dress?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Does a hoodie keep yer boll*x warm???
    Maybe it was the way you were wearing it that had people looking strange....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

What were you expecting them to do? Stop, shake your hand, give you a wave? Paranoia will destroy ya man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Were ye throwin' shapes at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

efb wrote: »
    Does a hoodie keep yer boll*x warm???
    Maybe it was the way you were wearing it that had people looking strange....

Actually it would, as the majority of heat is lost through your head, so Yes, hoodie would help keep your tads warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Having learned to my cost when I was 67, I'm afraid I give anybody between 15 and 40 in a hooded tracksuit a wide birth. No offence but you have to abmit that that particular look carries a stereotype with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Start dressing better and it won't be an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭IDencI

What were you expecting them to do? Stop, shake your hand, give you a wave? Paranoia will destroy ya man!!

Noooo... Drive on by and mind your own business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

IDencI wrote: »
    I had a baggy tracksuit on and my hood up. I noticed that every few people who drove past were looking at me as if I had done something wrong.

Time for a circumcision, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Just be apathetic and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Are you sure you're not imagining that? I'd wear hoodies sometimes and have the hood up if it was cold or raining, don't notice anyone looking at me strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Unless your a kid/teenager or going training, then wearing a hoodie and a tracksuit around town says a lot about you to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

People can see someone walking down a street with a balaclava on over their face and it's deemed okay as they are wearing lycra cycling clothes also;
    however,
    some see someone wearing tracky-pants and the hood of the jumper/jacket up over their head, with their face completely visible, & fear and paranoia kicks in.

I wear hoodies sometimes. Put the hood up when cold but don't notice anyone looking any different at me.
    I've been privy to discussions and debates with others commenting negativley at people wearing hoodies, but once I say that I also enjoy wearing hoodies the odd time, they just go silent and end that conversation.

Everyone will be different,
    Just wear what you are comfortable in,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Warm ears are more important than a craven need to have strangers rate your wardrobe.

Today I was just walking through town, minding my own business. I had a baggy tracksuit on and my hood up. I noticed that every few people who drove past were looking at me as if I had done something wrong. It was a cold day and I was freezing me boll*x off, so I put my hood up. Whats so wrong with having your hood up?? Why judge people for the way they dress?

Just a heads up given that you appear to be new to boards - this site is full of people who rarely venture outside their front door, and a side effect of this condition is the over-emphasis on stereotypes - hoodies, travellers, teachers, nurses and even students - all of these get a hard time on here due to the condition - dont take it personal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

What did ya rob anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What I find odd is lads driving sh1tebox cars around with their hoods up.Kinda hard to be 100% observant while driving when a hood is blocking part of your peripheral vision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭IDencI

Its probably worth mentioning that i really dont care what people think of me, its just something i noticed. Could just be where im from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I nearly always wear my hoodie up don't get to many looks apart say if you meet someone in the dark and they can't quite make you out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Just a heads up given that you appear to be new to boards - this site is full of people who rarely venture outside their front door, and a side effect of this condition is the over-emphasis on stereotypes - hoodies, travellers, teachers, nurses and even students - all of these get a hard time on here due to the condition - dont take it personal

Once bitten, twice shy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

. Could just be where im from

Aah! That explains it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

What about those dopes who wear the hood halfway across their head? What's that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Actually it would, as the majority of heat is lost through your head, so Yes, hoodie would help keep your tads warm

No, no we don't.

7 - 10% maybe, not majority or most.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I wouldn't really care if people think of me as a skanger; it's cold and I have warm clothing on.

No, no we don't.

7 - 10% maybe, not majority or most.

Actually more like 20-30% - and when you combine all the heat loss = 100% of a persons body, and divide that by the number of places where heat is lost, then I do believe you will find the majority of that heat loss comes from the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

You couldn't have been freezing your bollox off. To finish the look you must have had both hands down the front of your trackies rubbing like you were trying to start a fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

For a newbie you seem to have a well established stereotype of boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

That reaction might depend more on the town than anything else.

IME, while its grand to go around most places either wearing trackies or having your hood-up doing both together after a certain age makes most people think you're a scrote. I'm not saying it bothers me but clearly it does most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

hoodies go hand in hand with rampant drug taking,joyriding and thuggery of the highest oirder

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hate walking past gangs of hoodies on street corners, sometimes they say things like hey mister you dropped your gay card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Actually more like 20-30% - and when you combine all the heat loss = 100% of a persons body, and divide that by the number of places where heat is lost, then I do believe you will find the majority of that heat loss comes from the head

Yeah...no.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130708-is-most-heat-lost-from-your-head

Head accounts for 9% of your bodies surface, and accounts for at most 10% of heat loss.

Advertisement