Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014 graduates - the next step onwards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Clearlier wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this. Let's do some good things.

Hi Clearlier, thanks for working with us on this thread. I have caught the runners bug.

1) I'd like to know your PB's and roughly when they were set.
    5km - 18.35 Dublin Staff Relay (I run faster when trying to impress the boss 2013 lol)
    10km - 41:12 St Stephens Day run with rugby club with a terrible hangover 2013. :D
    Half - 1:44:12 Rock n Roll Half 2014
    Full - 3:58:53 DCM 2014 My first ever, loved it, ran a negative split and trained against much advice for just 4 weeks :D
    2) Tell me about your running history including what plan/training you did for DCM. For DCM I ran 3 times a week with one big run at the weekend, 2x 20mile runs was the most.
    3) What's your sporting history? I swam from the age of 6 till I was 16 to a national level. I played rugby from 13-30 at the highest school and club level. I started triathlon 3 years ago and running this year.
    4) What other training do you do regularly? I swim twice a week, I work on strength 1/2 a week, I cycle every day to work (20km) and one big cycle at weekends. I run twice a week but have just joined a running club for extra guidance.
    5) Any injuries/niggles and what are you doing to manage them? Everywhere, I dont. #gohard haha
    6) What are your goals for the next 6 - 12 months? I am running the London Marathon and would love a sub 3:50 time. Competing in Ironman Austria and would love a sub 12hr time. Sub 40min 10km run and sub 30min 2km swim are my goals so far, I'm sure I will add to them. Maybe a sub 3:40 for DCM 2015.... :D

Thanks once again Clearlier. Excited for 2015

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Random request....Did someone from here post on the novices thread about a pair of Bluetooth earphones they use while running?
    I know I read it on some thread but can't remember which.
    Just want to buy a set myself and I think these were priced reasonably enough
    Thanks.!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

@Clearier

My half time is under 90 mins and my full is 3.18.
    My goals at the moment are to get my 5k and 10k times down.
    I am struggling at the 5km. I find it a tough distance as you are going flat out from the gun and a little too fast in the first mile means a world of pain. I notice Claralara said somewhere that she also struggles at that distance but does well the further she goes. I feel my strengths are similar. I don't think I have enough natural cruising pace to go sub 18. My current 5km time is just over 19 mins.
    Out of interest do people who do well at the 5km distance have good pace over 100m or is it more to do with lactate acid threshold or what?
    I am going to start doing intervals - sessions like 3 x 1 mile and 6 x 1 mile to improve both my 5km and 10km times.
    How long of a lsr would I need to add into the plan for the above distances?

@Clearier

My half time is under 90 mins and my full is 3.18.
    My goals at the moment are to get my 5k and 10k times down.
    I am struggling at the 5km. I find it a tough distance as you are going flat out from the gun and a little too fast in the first mile means a world of pain. I notice Claralara said somewhere that she also struggles at that distance but does well the further she goes. I feel my strengths are similar. I don't think I have enough natural cruising pace to go sub 18. My current 5km time is just over 19 mins.
    Out of interest do people who do well at the 5km distance have good pace over 100m or is it more to do with lactate acid threshold or what?
    I am going to start doing intervals - sessions like 3 x 1 mile and 6 x 1 mile to improve both my 5km and 10km times.

Im not sure if my time is good but I went full tilt the day of my PB, (usually come in around 20/23 mins when running 5km leg of sprint triathlon). I have done vo2 and find that I recover very fast, I can bust a gut for a period, take a short period to cruise and can then go at it again, and so on so forth like this, thats what I did that day in Phoenix park. Not sure if any of that helps lol

Pm1e wrote: »
    Im not sure if my time is good but I went full tilt the day of my PB, (usually come in around 20/23 mins when running 5km leg of sprint triathlon). I have done vo2 and find that I recover very fast, I can bust a gut for a period, take a short period to cruise and can then go at it again, and so on so forth like this, thats what I did that day in Phoenix park. Not sure if any of that helps lol

And would you have good pace over 100m?
    Your 5km time is very good. Have you much endurance or interval stuff done?

• Advertisement

And would you have good pace over 100m?
    Your 5km time is very good. Have you much endurance or interval stuff done?

I'd have gone 14 something seconds for 100m when I was younger in schools meets etc. not sure what I'd do it in now but still very nippy yes (played wing/ 15 in rugby up till last year) interval stuff Ive done nothing, endurance wise I have always been able to tip along without much bother. If there is a target to be reached Id always hit it usually at the exact same pace throughout, in fact for both RnR half and DCM my data was almost a flatline throughout for pace and speeds up in final km or so.

I read a piece in a runner's world magazine that I picked up in an airport. It was about warm ups required for different race distances and mentioned the need of the longest warm up being needed for the 5km distance. The marathon you can just warm up by going slower in the first few miles.
    I think I will have to warm up properly before 5km races and get my second wind. I have done a 6.20 mile at the end of a 6 mile training run so I think I need a few miles warm up before I get started.

I read a piece in a runner's world magazine that I picked up in an airport. It was about warm ups required for different race distances and mentioned the need of the longest warm up being needed for the 5km distance. The marathon you can just warm up by going slower in the first few miles.
    I think I will have to warm up properly before 5km races and get my second wind. I have done a 6.20 mile at the end of a 6 mile training run so I think I need a few miles warm up before I get started.

My fastest 5k(which I don't count as a PB) was on the second 5k split of a 10k run which was 23'44
    My official 5k PB of 24'14 is a good bit slower than this.
    I need a good warm up also it seems.

Pm1e
    Given your 5km time you should be well capable of going sub 3.10 for the marathon and probably sub 85 for the half.
    If you can run an 18.+ time for the 5km off little training then you have a lot of good cruising pace. You do seem to have a good base though from your cycling and swimming. Also you have a good base from playing sports up along.

Pm1e
    Given your 5km time you should be well capable of going sub 3.10 for the marathon and probably sub 85 for the half.
    If you can run an 18.+ time for the 5km off little training then you have a lot of good cruising pace. You do seem to have a good base though from your cycling and swimming. Also you have a good base from playing sports up along.

I put much of that fitness down to all those years in the pool yes. Thanks, :)

• Advertisement

I'd like to know your PB's and roughly when they were set. I'm most interested in 5k, 10k, 10 mile, half and full marathon. Any three of those will give me something to work with. More is better. If there's anything peculiar about them (e.g. your marathon PB is from the Snowdon marathon) please let me know!

5K: 24'14 (23'44 for a 5k split of a 10k but 24'14 official time from a 5k race)
    10K 51'54 As part as a training run.
    HM 2:01:50 Race series half marathon 2014
    FM 4:59:30 DCM 2014

2) Tell me about your running history including what plan/training you did for DCM.

Only running about 18 months. Started off with a couch to 5k plan and went from there.Followed a Hal Higdon plan for Marathon.
    Had hoped for a 4:10 but found (like everyone else!) the Marathon very tough on the day

3) What's your sporting history?

Played soccer at a decent level from 9 years of age up till I was 30.I'm 35 now.
    Play a bit of Golf as well.Not very good at it but enjoy it. Probably doesn't make any difference in regard to running I'd imagine.

4) What other training including strength and conditioning training do you do regularly?

None

5) Any injuries/niggles and what are you doing to manage them?

Not really.

6) What are your goals for the next 6 - 12 months?

Sub 23 5K
    Sub 48 10k
    Sub 2hr Half
    Sub 4hr Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Rainrunner

Hi folks, I hope you don't mind me joining you. I'm a 2013 novice. (Still a novice)...I've followed the 2014 tread leading up to the Marathon and have to say the craic and banter was excellent under the guidence of Ososlo. So if it's ok I'll jump in with some detail.

I'm a male age 40, 6 ft carrying a bit of weight at 95kg

1) I'd like to know your PB's

Recent PB :
    5K - 14/09/2014 time 00:20:42
    5mile - 28/06/2014 time 00:36:22
    10k - 20/07/2014 time 00:44:52
    10mile - 23/08/2014 time 01:17:25
    Half Marathon – 05/07/2014 time 01:45:27
    Marathon – 27/10/2014 time 04:16:03

2) Tell me about your running history

Running since 2012 with a few 5k and 10k races... In 2013 I ran the race series and followed the novice marathon plan for the Marathon, 04:26:43. Same again in 2014, a few 5k 10k and half marathons leading up to the Marathon. I followed the BAA intermediate plan but picked up an injury 6 weeks out so gentle runs up to taper.

3) What's your sporting history

I was swimming from the age of 12 till 22 competitively. I became a bit of a gym bunny after that for about 4 years with two years of marital arts mixed in. After that stopped all sports and began to gain weight.

4) What other training including strength and conditioning training do you do.

None other than strenght training for an injury.

5) Any injuries/niggles and what are you doing to manage them

Hip Flexor injury in the lead up to the 2014 marathon. With phyiso treatment and foam rolling plus strengthening I've got it under controller but it can flare up.

I figure I'm lacking endurance going by my race times so I want to lose weight and address the endurance issues while picking up a few PB on the way to a sub 4 hour 2015 marathon!

Thanks everyone, looking forward to the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi guys,
    I must have been on the moon in a cave with my fingers in my ears and my eyes shut, as I nearly missed this super thread, great idea Laura_ac3 !

My PB's are:
    10K 48:25 Kill 10k
    HM 1:49:30 in Clontarf this year.
    20 Miles in 3:03, build up to DCM 2014.
    DCM in 4:48 in 2014.... Not happy with time partly due to flu......doing it again in 2015!!

Doing the Mo 10K in the PP on Saturday at a handy pace with afro wig and medallion:-)

2015 plan: Raheny 5, Sprint Duathlons, Spar 10K in PP, HM's x 2 or 3, DCM in much better time, sub 4 hours if possible.
    Maybe an Olympic Triathlon if I improve the swimming without my rubber duck arm bands.....but enjoying the running too much so that might be scrapped!!

Great to see the auld gang back together and some new faces too! Great posts keep em coming......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Back running the last 3 days and for the last 2 weeks I was just eating as normal, there is nothing like a meal after a good run.

Hi guys,
    I must have been on the moon in a cave with my fingers in my ears and my eyes shut, as I nearly missed this super thread, great idea Laura_ac3 !

My PB's are:
    10K 48:25 Kill 10k
    HM 1:49:30 in Clontarf this year.
    20 Miles in 3:03, build up to DCM 2014.
    DCM in 4:48 in 2014.... Not happy with time partly due to flu......doing it again in 2015!!

Doing the Mo 10K in the PP on Saturday at a handy pace with afro wig and medallion:-)

2015 plan: Raheny 5, Sprint Duathlons, Spar 10K in PP, HM's x 2 or 3, DCM in much better time, sub 4 hours if possible.
    Maybe an Olympic Triathlon if I improve the swimming without my rubber duck arm bands.....but enjoying the running too much so that might be scrapped!!

Great to see the auld gang back together and some new faces too! Great posts keep em coming......

It wouldn't feel right if smashiner didn't double post all his posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Haha I'm glad someone else noticed, everything twice that lad! Even spotted him in McGrattans with a pint in each hand! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Haha I'm glad someone else noticed, everything twice that lad! Even spotted him in McGrattans with a pint in each hand! ;)

Nah you were just seeing double after your own drinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Can't take credit for it I'm afraid, it was the guidance of Ososlo with the idea!

I did the 3 x 1 mile session this evening. I decided to target 6 min mile splits.
    Splits were
    I did a 2 mile warm up to start. I went off quite fast in the first one and was feeling it pretty quickly. Decided to run by feel and ignore the garmin. After the first mile I was thinking how am I going to do the next 2. I jogged two laps to recover, around 3 or 4 minutes. The next two weren't too bad but the lesser pace was needed.
    To finish I did a few stretches and a cool down run.
    I can see why people don't like these interval sessions. I felt a few niggles afterwards but overall nice to get one of these under my belt.
    I think I might do one of these every fortnight and maybe a hill sprints session the other week. Hopefully some improvement will follow and can avoid injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Thanks rockstar! I'm already planning new year so though it was 2015 already! I've edited my post.

I've signed up for the 30 day challenge and am on day 2 now. Really don't like the frog one but the others are grand. Went out for a run this morning. I did 2k warm up then 3 intervals of 1k with a couple of minutes walk in between. It was nice running fast for a change! Its the first time I've done intervals since c25k and I'm a bit unsure how to record an interval run. I have a garmin forerunner 110 which is fairly basic. I have it set to record a split every km. So when I look at the data the splits are all over the place as I was doing walks inbetween.

@chickey

If you go into settings on your watch you will come across something called Autolap. You can turn this off before your session. Then when you are ready to start your first lap press the lap button on the garmin and press it again when you finish the lap.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Nah you were just seeing double after your own drinks :)

Dammit, not sure why that happens! Must be when I post from a tablet :-)

Dammit, not sure why that happens! Must be......ha ha just messing this time.

Think that I deserved a pint in each hand in McGrattans after that near 5 hour endurance feat :-) . First pint in 6 weeks too, could barely hold the glass in my hand.

Maggotbrain, u looked a bit like John O'Shea on a bender for the day too.......lol

Ososlo's "Graduates on Tour" for the day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Clearlier, thanks for doing this and great advice so far. At the risk of repeating myself a little, here are my answers.

1) I'd like to know your PB's and roughly when they were set. I'm most interested in 5k, 10k, 10 mile, half and full marathon.

5K: 25:50, Sept 2014
    5mile: 43:37, June 2014
    10K: c.60:00, Dec 2012 (haven't raced one since)
    10 mile: 1:30:53, Aug 2014, Frank Duffy (8+ min improvement over 2013)
    Half: 2:01:39, Sept 2014, Dublin Race Series (c.18 min improvement over 2013)
    DCM 2014 (first time): 4:43:11, part of the carnage, crashed in Crumlin like '000's of others

2) Tell me about your running history including what plan/training you did for DCM.

Started running early 2012. Did HH Novice 1 for DCM, and for once, was very diligent in doing the training.

I came 39th out of 40 in an u-12 cross country race... that was the beginning and end of my early sporting history :) always picked last for every team in every sport (cue the violins)... all eons ago (but clearly still scarred!)

as an adult, I've always walked regularly, went to the gym regularly for periods (with years in between) and have done a fair bit of hiking and hillwalking before starting running.

4) What other training including strength and conditioning training do you do regularly?

None, other than walking at the moment. And running up and down stairs at home after kids.

Not really. I don't know my itb from my quad, or where all those muscles are that bother everyone else, I reckon ignorance is bliss.

to repeat from earlier in this thread, for 2015 I want to:
    PB in the entire Dublin race series!
    Sub 2 hr half marathon.
    Sub 4:30 DCM... Maybe even 4:15 as a goal. Some day sub 4
    5k/Parkrun...current PB is 25:50... 25:30 goal? Would love to think I could break 25 but doubt that's possible.
    5 mile... 42 min?

Overall, I want to build endurance and move a bit beyond the very basic novice training plans I've been following. And the main thing for me is to keep enjoying the running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Clearlier wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Rather than try and reply to every post individually I'm just going to try doing one big message as the likelihood is that most of my posting will be in the evenings. If it doesn't work we'll try something else

Firedance - Solid plan for Dublin, you had a reasonably good structure to your plan. Belly breathing is great. Any chance you could describe it to everybody else because I struggle with describing how to do it it but it's a great thing to do and I try to do it on all of my runs. None of your individual goals seem unrealistic to me but it might be challenging to do all of them whilst continuing to improve. Let's see how it goes and you can make a decision closer to the dates as to how to approach each race. What are your QL's?

thanks Clearlier. The belly breathing im practicing at the mo is 2 mins a day while lying down, just to start building the habbit, I also try to do it while walking and then with time bring it into the running. For anyone who has never done it, just lie on your back, place your hands on your stomach (either side of your navel), take a slow deep breath into your belly, your hands should move up and out as your stomach expands, hold the breath for a second or two then breath out slowly and controlled until you empty your lungs. If you're breathing into your chest your hands won't move. I haven' checked but I'd say there are probably good examples on you tube.
    QL's are the muscles that run down the side of your body, part of the core muscles. I never heard of them either! apparently mine don't do any work at all causing the muscles on the side of my legs to overwork and that caused my foot pain...

The winter league started in the club this eve, 2 miles @ race pace and goes on for the next 6 weeks, I did 16:40 so I'm happy enough with that as a first try, hope to see progression as the weeks go on. The lungs certainly got a work out with the fog/cold air! Hoping to head to the new Hartstown parkrun on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    5k/Parkrun...current PB is 25:50... 25:30 goal? Would love to think I could break 25 but doubt that's possible.

we have very similar times and I'm shooting for a sub 25 5K, course we can do it :D:D (i'll probably fail miserably but sure if your not in you can't win :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Hi clearlier and Dave
    (there is a question down the end of the thread if you don't feel like reading through all the rambling .. )

Thanks for taking on the job of dealing with this motley crew of walking wounded. A confession first - I'm not a graduate like the others.... I was spending time on the Novices thread between August and October in the hope of doing DCM 2014. Things were going quite well considering I only starting increasing my Long Run distance in mid August - until I injured myself 4 weeks ahead of DCM. So I didn't run it, spent about 5 weeks off the roads, and am just now starting to re-introduce running. I've got so used to this lot I am going to keep an eye on the thread - and hoped you might have a small bit of advice for me with regard to my plan for the Paris marathon on 12th April 15:).

1) PB's and roughly when they were set

5k: 23:29 (Sept 2014)
    10k: 49:02 (July 2014)
    HM: 1:49:31 (Sept 2014 - DCHM)

2) Running history including what plan/training you did for DCM

I started running back around 2000, and ran on and off since then, doing a half-marathon or two most years (except during a couple of "off" years). Have done probably about 4-5 10ks overall (main distance for 'racing' was the half). Anyway, I never properly tried to get any faster until about a year and a half ago ... at the age of over-40 ... The main change was to run (a bit) more consistently, though I still had some off periods due to injury and other interruptions. I also tried to do interval training some weeks, and the odd parkrun. Also I got the advice to do short fast runs, and tried a bit of that. I do think it worked a bit as you can see my PBs are all from this year.

I have been lurking on boards for year or two and found the Novices thread in the summer. After having a strong July of consistent 25+ mile weeks (with 12-mile LSRs), I had the idea I'd try to do DCM. I was coming at it a bit late, but I was kind-of approximating the "Boards Plan" in August and most of September.... the most positive thing is that I found it fairly easy to take up the mileage on my long runs - maybe that's because even though my usual weekly mileage is low, I had been keeping it going throughout the year, so I had a 'base'. I had been doing my Long Runs too fast as well, so just by reducing pace a bit I was able to run a much longer distance without too much difficulty. The injury was the week of 27th/28th Sept, so there were about 5 weeks of no running after that (though some elliptical and bike work). From the last week and a half there's been bits of running as I try to build up.

Nothing except a bit of running since my late-20s. Nothing in school at all
    (we didn't even need a note to avoid PE in our School, it was only once in a while we'd get herded outside for some rounders ... ;)).

Have been doing Pilates every Wednesday for years now. Usually I also do 1 or 2 dance classes (contemporary) a week, but that's been on hold since the injury (and even before that, because of summer break).

Am just coming back from a calf injury to my right leg. There is also a bit of ankle/outer-shin stiffness on the same leg. They are both 'almost' fixed but not perfect. The calf injury was caused by running with a knot in my calf ... though I'd never had one before so didn't know what it was, or that I should be taking action .... in fact I ran on the 'knot' for abut 10 days (including my DCHM PB) before it really gave proper trouble... but 6 and a half weeks ago I went out for my long run, and that time the calf was *properly* sore for the first 300metres. I should have known better but it was going to be my last "Proper Long Run" before DCM, so I warmed-it-up and ran a lovely 22.5mile run, then after I got home and had a sit-down, I had trouble standing on it. So a low-grade calf strain I think. The ankle/shin stiffness had been there even before the knot in the calf ...

I have a good set of stretches and exercises from the physio for this, and was doing them regularly. But I had a crazy work schedule over the past 3 weeks and I let it slip - stretches require a bit of brain activity, and I haven't had any brain cells left over for it ... The leg isn't Rehab-ing as fast as the physio expected, so I think the problem might be the "not-stretching". So I've started again, and am going do a second batch before I go to bed tonight (I think ;))....

I had ITB issues in the past, but have been managing this well (I once had to back-off my mileage during the DCM training, but that worked).

I want to train (properly this time) for the Paris Marathon on 12th April, and would love to be sub-4hr. I'd like to get my parkrun PB down under 23mins before end of January also!

For the Marathon training, I made myself a training schedule based on the "Boards plan" that some of the graduate used for Dublin.... but I've added Tuesday intervals (this is a drop-in session I can go to, and it's only 5 reps), and also have put in some MP sections to some Long Runs because of post-marathon discussions on the Novices thread. Here it is in Google spreadsheets:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RzUQ3pCF8AksjjSEtPGsWG2H2x62w1Xo3viPazdUGyE/

I was wondering could you take a look at it and see what you think? If you've got this far down the message :o ...

You might think it's strange that it is 19 weeks not 18. Actually I had 20 weeks at the start, for the reason I'm sure I'll miss some weeks/long-runs due to niggles/injuries. But I am finding it slower than expected to rehab my leg, so I knocked out one of the extra weeks, and am planning to start one week later, on 1st December....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Firedance wrote: »

we have very similar times and I'm shooting for a sub 25 5K, course we can do it :D:D (i'll probably fail miserably but sure if your not in you can't win :P )

My 5k time is similar too at 25:47 and I'm also aiming for a sub 25 5k :)
    Go for it annapr!

Definitely need to go for it... You can be a Parkrun tourist and come to St Anne's... Nice and flat!

• Advertisement

gingersnap wrote: »

My 5k time is similar too at 25:47 and I'm also aiming for a sub 25 5k :)
    Go for it annapr!

Thanks gingersnap! Looks like we have a sub-25 club starting to form here, with firedance too :D

All we need now is some good coaching and we'll be upgrading to sub-20! :eek:

Advertisement