Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Soul Over 100 Miles @100 Kph

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

According to Autoexpress maximum range of Soul Ev is 88 miles .. Kia quotes 132

noelf wrote: »
    According to Autoexpress maximum range of Soul Ev is 88 miles .. Kia quotes 132

That's going by the EPA rating. Which of course isn't gospel but it's still a lot better than the NEDC rating.

The Soul was tested independently by Tony Williams on http://insideevs.com/kia-soul-ev-range-autonomy-demonstration-nets-100-miles/

Tony is a regular visitor to the mynissanleaf.com forum.

So at 21 degrees C the Soul at 100 Kph has about 20 miles more range than the Leaf.

The big difference in colder weather will be the battery heater in the Soul which the leaf does not have, correction, it does have a heater but comes on at -20 and shuts off at -10. Just to stop it killing the battery. It's not very practical.

I Drove the Leaf to work Thursday and Friday in Grangecastle Business Park for two days and at 10 degrees C I made it to work with 49% battery 66.6 Kms at speeds 100 Kph-80 Kph. By the time I got back to the Naas QC at Tesco I had about 33% battery, charged to 58% in 15 mins and made it back to Carlow Town QC at 100-120 Kph with about 20% left, this was all with heat set to 19 Deg C which is my normal temp in any car.

I estimate that i would need 5-10 mins max to get me home which is about 10 Kms closer than Carlow Town, I had to meed the sales man there and reluctantly hand back the Leaf. I really enjoy driving it, I just hated getting back in the Prius.

So the Kia Soul has the "potential" to get me to work and back on the one charge.

Work may or may not install a charger, if they do then I could do 120-130 kph most of the way home.

Electric drive is extremely good and when you don't have to worry about charge you can have a lot of fun. I can just imaging how fun the I3 is or the newer model S 85 Kwh with dual motors and 4 wheel drive and 0-60 of 3 seconds !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

Mike Rutherford of Autoexpess tested the soul ev thats the best he could get range wise ..you can read about it in the news section www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news

I think Tony Williams review can be well trusted more so than some so called auto journalist. But I'll read the review later.

If it can do 100 miles at 62 mph that's good enough for me. I wouldn't expect this in winter with heat of course but it should still do a good bit better in winter. 88 miles isn't bad really but we don't know how he drove it. You won't get that in a leaf this time of year at 62 mph.

Tony did not get 100 miles in the Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Could have condensed the 22 mins down to 4

• Advertisement

Either way the Soul EV will have more range then the Leaf/Zoe especially in cold weather.

Tony Williams test of 100 miles at 62 mph @ 21 deg c is probably pretty accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

Either way the Soul EV will have more range then the Leaf/Zoe especially in cold weather.

Tony Williams test of 100 miles at 62 mph @ 21 deg c is probably pretty accurate.

Yes the EV side of things is pretty impressive indeed. Keep in mind it also has about 3kW more battery capacity than a Leaf and 5 more than Zoe but it is still very impressive. The temperature management of the battery will be a great advantage in the winter.

Question is, will it be available in Ireland?

Would you consider importing one if it isn't? I would worry about repairs/servicing if it wasn't. Importing and ICE is pretty standard as most engines are the same in essence but an EV is different with servicing. Need the equipment to do it.

Of course it could be the excuse for a trip to the UK ones a year :)

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    Yes the EV side of things is pretty impressive indeed. Keep in mind it also has about 3kW more battery capacity than a Leaf and 5 more than Zoe but it is still very impressive. The temperature management of the battery will be a great advantage in the winter.

Question is, will it be available in Ireland?

Would you consider importing one if it isn't? I would worry about repairs/servicing if it wasn't. Importing and ICE is pretty standard as most engines are the same in essence but an EV is different with servicing. Need the equipment to do it.

Of course it could be the excuse for a trip to the UK ones a year :)

The leaf battery is 24 KWh with 20 usable at about 20 degrees battery temp.

The zoe has 22 KWh at same temp and probably 18 usable.

The soul actually has 30 kWh with 27 usable ,it isn't very aero dynamic but it's still an impressive ev all the same, I do prefer the leaf though.

I wouldn't import one as you say service and if something goes wrong I'd be a bit fecked.

Advertisement