Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Soul Over 100 Miles @100 Kph

Options
  • 04-11-2014 11:41am

This is just one of more and more reports off 100 miles + appearing.

I can't see this video at work but it's a link I got off the kia soul EV facebook Page.

Let me know if the link works because I can't test it here in work because YouTube is blocked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

It doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Probably this one

Yep thanks that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

From the EPA web site ..

noelf wrote: »
    From the EPA web site ..

What's interesting is that the EPA have rated the Soul as having the least miles on the highway, so I don't know what to make of that only there's no way in hell the Leaf, I3 will make 100 miles at 100 Kph especially in winter.

More interesting is the Soul EV was given the highest over all miles per charge.

Perhaps the Golf just might make 100 miles but I have not seen reports of it actually achieving this, certainly not in winter.

More interesting is the fact that the Soul will be the one most capable in winter with the battery heater, it's optional in the I3 and not available on any other available ev.

• Advertisement

T
    What's interesting is that the EPA have rated the Soul as having the least miles on the highway, so I don't know what to make of that only there's no way in hell the Leaf, I3 will make 100 miles at 100 Kph especially in winter.

More interesting is the Soul EV was given the highest over all miles per charge.

Perhaps the Golf just might make 100 miles but I have not seen reports of it actually achieving this, certainly not in winter. f

More interesting is the fact that the Soul will be the one most capable in winter with the battery heater, it's optional in the I3 and not available on any other available ev.

The battery heater was removed from the Golf because vw deemed it unnecessary for production

• Registered Users Posts: 65,064 ✭✭✭✭unkel

4 miles per kwh is of course very impressive :)

That said, you can see from the clip (and anyone who has driven in the USA knows this) that the car was driving at a constant 100km/h, unhindered. This is near optimal for fuel consumption, but you won't get this anywhere in Ireland (or the rest of Europe)

I'd say my large 11 year old 6 cylinder automatic petrol BMW would do over 50mpg doing a constant 100km/h. In real life I get half that.

And it was California - so nice warm and dry. I doubt any of these cars would make a 25 mile commute (each way) into Dublin city centre without regularly running out of battery...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

Note what the screen is showing:

4 miles per kilowatt so that's 6.40 km per kilowatt which is 15.63 kw per 100 km which is the same consumption that was on the Leaf I had a drive in.

So how is the Soul doing this on the motorway? They drove 160 km on the motorway at reasonable speed and using cruise control.

Seems excellent.

T

The battery heater was removed from the Golf because vw deemed it unnecessary for production

I think that was cooling and not heating.

unkel wrote: »

That said, you can see from the clip (and anyone who has driven in the USA knows this) that the car was driving at a constant 100km/h, unhindered. This is near optimal for fuel consumption, but you won't get this anywhere in Ireland (or the rest of Europe)

I'd say my large 11 year old 6 cylinder automatic petrol BMW would do over 50mpg doing a constant 100km/h. In real life I get half that.

And it was California - so nice warm and dry. I doubt any of these cars would make a 25 mile commute (each way) into Dublin city centre without regularly running out of battery...

I doubt even leaf owners would get that low range even in dub city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,064 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Any EV owners willing to take the challenge?

You must work in Dublin (lets say within the canals), live at least 20 miles away, drive into work for a 9 to 5 kinda job Mo-Fr and prove not once over the next 3 months you'd run out of charge on your commute (only allowed to charge at home)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

I doubt even leaf owners would get that low range even in dub city.
    I'd say its possible. Cold day, strong wind against both ways (180 shift during the day) 2011 leaf so range capacity not optimum.

But city driving is not as big a range killer for a seasoned EV driver as motorway speed.
    A seasoned EV driver while trying to protect range will get the best out of regenerative braking.

axe2grind wrote: »
    I'd say its possible. Cold day, strong wind against both ways (180 shift during the day) 2011 leaf so range capacity not optimum.

But city driving is not as big a range killer for a seasoned EV driver as motorway speed.
    A seasoned EV driver while trying to protect range will get the best out of regenerative braking.

Electrics get pretty high city driving from the EPA tests,

Sure cold will have an effect but for most city drivers, they couldn't care less because they most likely won't be doing big mileage either way.

If the batteries are heated like in the Soul EV and optional on the I3 then this makes a big difference.

What's interesting is that the EPA have rated the Soul as having the least miles on the highway, so I don't know what to make of that

The drag coefficient of the E-Golf is only 0.28 the Kia is a higher boxy shape so drag should be higher therefore less highway mileage

What's interesting is that the EPA have rated the Soul as having the least miles on the highway, so I don't know what to make of that

The drag coefficient of the E-Golf is only 0.28 the Kia is a higher boxy shape so drag should be higher therefore less highway mileage

According to the video though the Soul clearly has a lot more range than the Leaf at 100 Kph, so the Soul is probably more efficient at that speed.

It's a good indication of what to expect on a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

According to the video though the Soul clearly has a lot more range than the Leaf at 100 Kph, so the Soul is probably more efficient at that speed
    I would take it with a pinch of salt. In ideal conditions the Leaf can do 100km at 100kph as well. As can Zoe.

They should really do the same drive in the same conditions with other cars to properly compare. I did 75km at 90kph in the pouring rain with a severe headwind this weekend. Very confident I would have been able to do 100 km and more at 100kph from 100% charge if the weather wasn't so bad.

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    I would take it with a pinch of salt. In ideal conditions the Leaf can do 100km at 100kph as well. As can Zoe.

They should really do the same drive in the same conditions with other cars to properly compare. I did 75km at 90kph in the pouring rain with a severe headwind this weekend. Very confident I would have been able to do 100 km and more at 100kph from 100% charge if the weather wasn't so bad.

No this is 162 Kms or 100 miles range, actually at the end it was 104 miles but 100 miles at 62 mph, this is pretty damn good.

There is no reports of the Leaf or Zoe doing 100 miles at these speeds.

Certainly won't happen in winter, but the should will have a lot more range because the battery is heated, it will loose some to the heater of course but still more than the Leaf/Zoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just googled it there as I wasn't sure what they looked like. Anyways.... hideous isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

No this is 162 Kms or 100 miles range, actually at the end it was 104 miles but 100 miles at 62 mph, this is pretty damn good.
    Yeah just realised this.

I would still like to see the same route being done with a different car. There are no hills in that area and driving on the motorway in ideal summer conditions should be very good.

Still think it's not a very pretty car. Battery thermal management should be very good for maintaining range no matter what the weather.

No it's not a great looking car, then again neither is a golf.

Inside isn't bad and that's what concerns me the most, that's where I spend most time. I don't sit outside looking at it all day.

Regarding range, I've yet to hear the leaf doing over 100 miles in any conditions at 62 mph or the zoe.

Kia Ireland have said they don't know when the soul Ev is coming to Ireland.

• Advertisement

No it's not a great looking car, then again neither is a golf.

Inside isn't bad and that's what concerns me the most, that's where I spend most time. I don't sit outside looking at it all day.

Regarding range, I've yet to hear the leaf doing over 100 miles in any conditions at 62 mph or the zoe.

Kia Ireland have said they don't know when the soul Ev is coming to Ireland.

I think Kia is sitting on the fence here and waiting to see how the E-Golf does in the first quarter of 2015 as for looks the Golf has a look that doesn't date as quickly as its rivals and Irish people just love their Golfs 4445 sold here this year .. number one spot :)

I think Kia is sitting on the fence here and waiting to see how the E-Golf does in the first quarter of 2015 as for looks the Golf has a look that doesn't date as quickly as its rivals and Irish people just love their Golfs 4445 sold here this year .. number one spot :)

I would say the Soul EV is the better EV.

I do like the variable regen in the Golf and the ability to coast with 0 regen.

The Golf offers 0 advantages over the Soul EV and it also has ccs fast charging which there are a lot less available at this time. The Soul will have ChaDeMo

The Soul offers more range and a decent amount by the looks of it. A lot more winter range because the battery is heated and it has the heat pump as standard and will still be a good bit cheaper than the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Any EV owners willing to take the challenge?

You must work in Dublin (lets say within the canals), live at least 20 miles away, drive into work for a 9 to 5 kinda job Mo-Fr and prove not once over the next 3 months you'd run out of charge on your commute (only allowed to charge at home)

Er.... Really not sure what you're getting at, there is no challenge in that?

I've been driving a Leaf for a year now, I do 76km a day, every day, Mon to Fri and not once have I even come close to running out of charge on my commute, during the summer, I have 40+% battery left when I get home, in the winter, about 25-30% remaining.

This is really hilarious.

314 Euro's for a multi function steering wheel in the Golf EV, not standard in a 34 K car ? :D

Volkswagen are insane and people are insane if they pay for the E-Golf.

I really believe VW don't want to sell electrics !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I did 210km on Wednesday in a 142 SVE Leaf with one charge in the middle and used 33kw and had 20% left before middle charge and at end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I like the Soul Ev. It may not be a very "attractive" car but i like it.

It'll be a real pity if Kia don't give it a proper launch in Ireland and the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

Dexter1979 wrote: »

They have a similar video of the Spark EV, it stopped after 82 miles.

The battery in the Soul is 27 kw so that would help the range.

In contrast the RAV4 EV shown in the videos has a 41.8 kw battery and they mention having done 115 miles in the RAV4 in passing.

Kia Ireland may also decide not to import it.

Dealers might not want to re train their mechanics and they might not want to deal with the unknown.

Would be a real shame if this car didn't make it to Ireland. After all I think it's a far better EV than the e-golf.

The soul is the best ice to EV conversion yet.

Villain wrote: »
    I did 210km on Wednesday in a 142 SVE Leaf with one charge in the middle and used 33kw and had 20% left before middle charge and at end.

What can you get at 100kph on one charge though in summer?

One should always buy an EV based on the lowest winter mileage. Unless of course they can tolerate extra time on the fast charger.

• Advertisement

ei9go wrote: »

In contrast the RAV4 EV shown in the videos has a 41.8 kw battery and they mention having done 115 miles in the RAV4 in passing.

The rav 4 is a lot heavier. In a leaf that could probably get 140 miles range.

Advertisement