Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Soul Over 100 Miles @100 Kph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What can you get at 100kph on one charge though in summer?

One should always buy an EV based on the lowest winter mileage. Unless of course they can tolerate extra time on the fast charger.

Not sure as I only have it two weeks :D

If you are thinking of buying an EV and the range and is a major concern then an EV isn't for you.

Driving to and from Dublin from Carlow for less than €2 is pretty awesome though.

Villain wrote: »
    Not sure as I only have it two weeks :D

If you are thinking of buying an EV and the range and is a major concern then an EV isn't for you.

Driving to and from Dublin from Carlow for less than €2 is pretty awesome though.

Can you Carlow to Dub and back on one charge, and at what speed ?

I'd have an almost identical commute.

Can you Carlow to Dub and back on one charge, and at what speed ?

I'd have an almost identical commute.
    No you would need to charge in Dublin to get back down but loads of chargers in Dublin and using FCP 20 mins would probably be enough

No you would need to charge in Dublin to get back down but loads of chargers in Dublin and using FCP 20 mins would probably be enough

Ah yeah, I would probably get away with less time on the qc because I would get off the motorway at Kilcullen and down the old M9, I don't go into Carlow Town. I don't go as far by about 10 Kms.

If I get this new job I'd have to charge unless they let me charge in work. Unlikely.

What speeds do you do ?

Do you drive the White Leaf I see at the Carlow QC ?

Ah yeah, I would probably get away with less time on the qc because I would get off the motorway at Kilcullen and down the old M9, I don't go into Carlow Town. I don't go as far by about 10 Kms.

If I get this new job I'd have to charge unless they let me charge in work. Unlikely.

What speeds do you do ?

Do you drive the White Leaf I see at the Carlow QC ?
    I drive from Tullow to Carlow so 80kmh, uses less than 40% of battery for the commute and nope mine is a grey one, 142cw reg

• Advertisement

I drive from Tullow to Carlow so 80kmh, uses less than 40% of battery for the commute and nope mine is a grey one, 142cw reg

Yeah I'd want to go 110 Kph min on the Motorway.

Ah I thought you commute to Dublin. :D

Where I'm working now is Ideal for the Leaf also but I probably won't be here after Xmas. I'm hoping to get a permanent position and will most likely be Dublin.

It's where I worked before and when I asked them about charging they said absolutely no way, but I'd be hoping I could change their minds.

Problem with the Naas QC is that I feel it could be a busy spot and I don't want to queue.

Yeah I'd want to go 110 Kph min on the Motorway.

Ah I thought you commute to Dublin. :D

Where I'm working now is Ideal for the Leaf also but I probably won't be here after Xmas. I'm hoping to get a permanent position and will most likely be Dublin.

It's where I worked before and when I asked them about charging they said absolutely no way, but I'd be hoping I could change their minds.

Problem with the Naas QC is that I feel it could be a busy spot and I don't want to queue.
    Yep I wouldn't really consider an EV for a commute from Carlow to Dublin unless employer installed a charging point or the fast charge was within 2 mins away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

The Kia Soul Ev goes on sale in the UK before Christmas target of 170 cars per year only one trim level and only 2 colours The only option is if you want to own the batteries ...... WHATCAR ... they only gave it 3 star ..

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

It is a busy spot. And as more and more people get Leafs and other chademo based cars it will continue to be busy. One of the reasons I have a Zoe. Different plug. The other problem is that apparently people leave their cars plugged in beyond the time it takes to charge. They then end up blocking the charger. In this scenario I could still end up being blocked if someone is waiting at the other spot!

Being blocked by an ICE car is one thing, being blocked by an EV is just rude!

Thankfully I don't make use of the fast chargers a lot on my routine journeys. Drove to Cork yesterday from Mallow and back. Had 95km on the GOM and a journey of 90km ahead of me. Made it home with 11% to spare. Did drive 75 - 80km on a N road to do it.

About to go and charge at one of the local 22kW points. Going to drive the battery down a little first and see if I can reach the advertised 80% charge in an hour :)

noelf wrote: »
    The Kia Soul Ev goes on sale in the UK before Christmas target of 170 cars per year only one trim level and only 2 colours The only option is if you want to own the batteries ...... WHATCAR ... they only gave it 3 star ..

I can't find a whatcar review but autoexpress gave it 4 stars.

I don't really pay too much attention to so called auto journalist reviews, they don't have to live with cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/kia/soul/2015-kia-soul-ev-first-drive/1319889

axe2grind wrote: »

Thanks, They had that review well hidden !

They gave it a good enough review probably lost a star because of the cost.

If I were driving 20K miles a year and got 44 mpg it would cost me 3 K per year.

In leccy it would cost about 540 € to do 20K miles on night rate leccy. Based on about 30 Kwh per 100 miles.

So the total difference would work out about 1500 more expensive, this is excluding the savings on Motor Tax and maintenance. So the difference is not as big as the EV haters make it out to be.

In fact it's about the difference between buying petrol V diesel.

If doing small mileage then it makes no sense, this is why Zoe won;t sell because Clio drivers mainly buy petrols and don;t spend the extra on diesel so they're hardly likely to buy the much more expensive zoe if the average clio 1.2 costs 17K Euro's or a little less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

I don't really pay too much attention to so called auto journalist reviews, they don't have to live with cars.

Autocar test of Soul Ev is on-line now ... you will read it Mad-lad ???? :):)

noelf wrote: »
    Autocar test of Soul Ev is on-line now ... you will read it Mad-lad ???? :):)

And you'd actually expect me to find the link to the review ? you couldn't post it and make it handy like, ye know ?:D

Quote from site

Should I buy one?
    If you are going to buy an electric car, it would be hard to find a compelling argument for the Soul over rival models. It does everything pretty well, aside from suffering a somewhat disturbed ride on poor roads, but is short of EV class leadership.

Kia has modest sales targets for the Soul EV, with next year's sales tipped to be 100-200 units, the cars only being sold through a select 13 dealers who applied. Despite the £24,995 price (including government grant, battery pack, wall charger, Chargemaster account, and generous standard spec), Renault’s Zoe and the Nissan Leaf also benefit from buying packages which make EV ownership even more affordable.

As it stands, the Soul EV, as competent as it is, is neither the best to drive, nor the best value.

Kia Soul EV

Price £24,995 (after government grant); 0-60mph 10.8sec; Top speed 90mph; Range 132 miles; CO2 0g/km (local); Kerb weight 1588kg; Engine AC synchronous electric motor; Power 109bhp between 2730-8000rpm; Torque 210lb ft between 0-2730rpm; Gearbox Single-speed automatic

End Quote.

They didn't say that you have to spend 1000 Euro's on the efficient heat pump in the Golf, and they didn't say you have to spend 350 Euro's on a mfsw.

They didn't say the soul has been independently tested to have 100 miles range at 62 mph

They didn't say the soul includes a battery heater and the option isn't even available for the golf.

They didn't say the golf is more expensive either.

They didn't say the Soul has ChaDeMo V CCS, there are many more ChaDeMo than CCS fast chargers. Carlow has no CCS charging for instance.

So a U.K auto journalist favours the German ev over the Korean ? surprise surprise

people know me by now and if I were a betting man I'd be putting my money on the Soul E.V, now those that know me know I wouldn't be doing that if I thought the E-Golf were the better e.v now would I ?

Quote from site

They didn't say the golf is more expensive either.
    Oh be fair they did say this ;)
    but the clinching argument is that the entry-level VW e-Golf is only just over £1000 more than the Soul EV

The clinching argument, because one wants to spend more?

Anyway, we don't know Irish pricing yet of the soul.

Either way, for me I think I'm going to need more range before I can seriously think of EV. I need close to 160km winter range to tip the balance, and I'd want that range on an older car so need more to begin with.

Oh be fair they did say this ;)

The clinching argument, because one wants to spend more?

Anyway, we don't know Irish pricing yet of the soul.

Either way, for me I think I'm going to need more range before I can seriously think of EV. I need close to 160km winter range to tip the balance, and I'd want that range on an older car so need more to begin with.

You'll be waiting. But the soul EV with its heated battery has much more potential than the Leaf and gold EV.

And how many people will spend 1000 on the heat pump?

Will dealers even mention it or that it will improve winter range?

You'll be waiting.
    Yes I'm not typical market for EV. Single car, no commute, plenty random trips. Family of 5...+dog
    Have been looking at our trips and daily usage for past few months to see what we could practically do in EV.
    Leaf not an option without AC charging due to much of our driving away from main arteries.

If confidence in the charging infrastructure increases, which has reliability issues at moment then I can consider reducing the range I feel I need. Probably need about 35kw battery

Yes I'm not typical market for EV. Single car, no commute, plenty random trips. Family of 5...+dog
    Have been looking at our trips and daily usage for past few months to see what we could practically do in EV.
    Leaf not an option without ChaDeMo due to much of our driving away from main arteries.

If confidence in the charging infrastructure increases, which has reliability issues at moment then I can consider reducing the range I feel I need. Probably need about 35kw battery

You mean the Golf isn't an option without ChaDeMo?

Certainly even current gen electrics are able to cover decent distances, if I am allowed charge up in the new job then even a leaf would be perfect for 85 miles a day commute and more.

Other than that I'd need about 10 mins on the fast charger to get me home maybe 15 mins tops.

If you have work charging them you got about 40 KWh to play with at optimum battery temp of about 20 deg C.

If I've a heated battery them the soul could possibly do it all on one charge and then some depending on heater consumption and if the battery gets cold again does this matter or only for the first charge that day? That's something I don't think is known yet.

• Advertisement

https://transportevolved.com/2014/11/11/kia-soul-ev-officially-goes-sale-uk-priced-29995-incentives/

Kia soul now on sale in the U. K.

I just hope it comes to Ireland.

By the way the article above is by Nikki Gordon Bloomfield, the person who lost 20% capacity at 50 K miles in the Leaf from fast charging so much, and fast charging a hot battery.

I reckon kia could be in to a winner with this EV.

You mean the Golf isn't an option without ChaDeMo?
    Oops, meant AC charging. I need the facility to charge at 22kw at the non fast charge points, such as the Zoe can do.

I've done a couple recent 300km trips that didn't go near a fast charge point at the critical distances.

And speaking of charging does the Soul have the same as the Leaf?
    DC only, a max of 6.6kw charging away from the fast charge points?

And speaking of charging does the Soul have the same as the Leaf?
    DC only, a max of 6.6kw charging away from the fast charge points?

Yes, the Soul EV has 6.6 Kw AC charger same as the Leaf.

I know the charger in Zoe is good but the Soul is the better EV. It means you can go further without the reliance of public chargers in the first place.

I think it's nicer than Zoe inside, but Zoe is better looking outside. It's a decent bit faster than Zoe and it's bigger.

It's battery heater means a decent amount more range than the leaf/Zoe.

There are a lot of fast chargers available now.

The Leaf/Zoe won't get me to work and back on one charge where the Soul has the potential to do so or at least it means less time on the fast charger.

My commute would mean about 15K miles a year and the AC charger in Zoe would be of 0 benefit to me for 98% of my driving.

For the 2% that en ev won't work out we'd just take the ice car.

Yes, the Soul EV has 6.6 Kw AC charger same as the Leaf.

I know the charger in Zoe is good but the Soul is the better EV. It means you can go further without the reliance of public chargers in the first place.

I think it's nicer than Zoe inside, but Zoe is better looking outside. It's a decent bit faster than Zoe and it's bigger.

It's battery heater means a decent amount more range than the leaf/Zoe.

There are a lot of fast chargers available now.

The Leaf/Zoe won't get me to work and back on one charge where the Soul has the potential to do so or at least it means less time on the fast charger.

My commute would mean about 15K miles a year and the AC charger in Zoe would be of 0 benefit to me for 98% of my driving.

For the 2% that en ev won't work out we'd just take the ice car.

Just to clarify the Leaf as standard has a 3.3KW AC charger, the 6.6KW is an added extra.

Just to clarify the Leaf as standard has a 3.3KW AC charger, the 6.6KW is an added extra.

Ah yes, good point. The 6.6 Kw charger is optional !

I would say the 6.6 Kw Charger is as useless to me under the same circumstances but I suppose I wouldn't say no to be able to charge a leaf or Soul at 20 kw from an ac charge point.

Ya the 6.6kw was no benefit to me as it doesn't make any difference whether it takes 3 or 7 hours to charge overnight and the number of fast chargers where I would need them are adequate.

Yeah, I think faster ac charging is always useful for when you want to go off on a longer trip and you end up in a decent size town somewhere and want lunch, the 6.6 Kw charger will put in a decent amount of range, twice as much as the 3.3 and of course Zoe would be 80% charged in an hour.

Better to have it I suppose, the Soul at least has the 6.6 as standard but it will be more expensive than the Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

Ya the 6.6kw was no benefit to me as it doesn't make any difference whether it takes 3 or 7 hours to charge overnight and the number of fast chargers where I would need them are adequate.

This won't matter overnight but would matter if you get stuck at a non-working/blocked fast charger and the only available juice is from a standard charge point. I personally love the charger in Zoe. Very flexible and fast at most charge points in Ireland. 0 - 80% in an hour. Full (99%) in about 1 hour and 20. Go for a shop in Tesco and you get 50 km of useful range in the space of 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    This won't matter overnight but would matter if you get stuck at a non-working/blocked fast charger and the only available juice is from a standard charge point. I personally love the charger in Zoe. Very flexible and fast at most charge points in Ireland. 0 - 80% in an hour. Full (99%) in about 1 hour and 20. Go for a shop in Tesco and you get 50 km of useful range in the space of 20 minutes.

Certainly couldn't argue with that better to have a faster alternative than want it.

However I think the 6.6 kW would be fast enough for me.

But the idea with having the soul with its longer range means is have to rely less on the public infrastructure particularly in winter worth the heated battery.

Advertisement