Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water meter installation area's?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Close enough to where the leaks are yes, from what I've been told.
    It's much more from the main pipes, not as much in housing estates. Old lead piping throughout Dublin city, for e.g.
    They've known about it for decades. Shame on previous governments not addressing this issue fully.
    Fix the infrastructure first, then come back to the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Ogham wrote: »
    IW aren't installing meters where the stopcock is on private land (yet). Maybe in a couple of years if they are still around?
    Just spotted this - yes Irish Water have been installing meters in people's driveways (on private property) and have been doing so with the assistance of the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Steve012 wrote: »
    Close enough to where the leaks are yes, from what I've been told.
    What information are they basing this opinion on exactly?

Alun wrote: »
    What information are they basing this opinion on exactly?

They are (exactly) basing their opinion on the fact that they've worked for an bord usice for years. And are aware of where the leaks are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They are (exactly) basing their opinion on the fact that they've worked for an bord usice for years. And are aware of where the leaks are.
    You don't know in other words.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    You don't know in other words.

I haven't worked for an bord uisce the 2 guys that work with me have.
    So theoretically I personally don't know my friend your right!. But believe me these chaps do and so does an bord usice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I haven't worked for an bord uisce the 2 guys that work with me have.
    So theoretically I personally don't know my friend your right!. But believe me these chaps do and so does an bord usice. :)

Ah yes

the old "A friend of a friend" defense :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Bord Uisce isn't years old. It isn't even a year old.

alastair wrote: »
    Bord Uisce isn't years old. It isn't even a year old.

Irish water isn't no. That was the old council name for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

No it wasn't. Each of the local authorities had their own water services - there was no bord uisce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Fix the infrastructure first, then come back to the people.
    It's almost like most of the anti-water brigade just don't understand basic economics. To fix the infrastructure is an investment of billions of euros. It's exactly why they've had to bring in water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

ReefBreak wrote: »
    It's almost like most of the anti-water brigade just don't understand basic economics. To fix the infrastructure is an investment of billions of euros. It's exactly why they've had to bring in water charges.

A circular anti-logic which goes to the core of Ireland's infrastructure deficit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Where did you get that idea from?

Bord Uisce is the Irish for Irish Water and is only set-up just over a year.

If your "mates" were working for years for Bord Uisce, who was paying them because it didn't exist?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Two separate points I've heard raised in the media on this topic;

from an engineering point of view, it would be perfectly acceptable to install a single meter to cover a block of houses in an average urban and suburban layout. Easier to check fewer meters for signs of leak and far cheaper to install a tiny fraction of the current requirement.

Currently the State spends €1.2b annually on water infrastructure. With the introduction of IW and the proposed revenue they will generate, has the €1.2b reduction in Government spending been accounted for and why would this not be used to reduce any burden on the individual who has to pay the new water tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Godge wrote: »
    Where did you get that idea from?

Bord Uisce is the Irish for Irish Water and is only set-up just over a year.

If your "mates" were working for years for Bord Uisce, who was paying them because it didn't exist?

No such name as Bord Uisce. It's Irish Water or Uisce Eireann. Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Currently the State spends €1.2b annually on water infrastructure. With the introduction of IW and the proposed revenue they will generate, has the €1.2b reduction in Government spending been accounted for and why would this not be used to reduce any burden on the individual who has to pay the new water tax?

The 1.2 bn spent covers everything.
    Of that about 260m is spent on upgrade/repairs.

IW won't be able to match that 1.2bn in revenue, not close.there will always be a shortfall requiring central funding.

The reduction of central funding was mostly nullified by IW startup costs.

You will notice an income tax reduction in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

It's much more from the main pipes, not as much in housing estates. Old lead piping throughout Dublin city, for e.g. ................................

Yet another specious claim, lead was not used for mains, it was far too expensive, Wood, clay, cement, cement lined ductile iron, Galvanised steel, and now HDPE have been the material of the mains pipes. Lead was used extensively for the runs into houses up to the 1960's(maybe even 70's?). Older houses would have been completely piped in lead, but most if not all was ripped out when the dangers of lead were better understood, however many retrofitters didn't bother with the last link that would have meant digging down and gouging at the foundations, so left a couple of metres of lead pipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ogham wrote: »
    No such name as Bord Uisce. It's Irish Water or Uisce Eireann. Nothing else.

Bord Failte became Failte Ireland over a decade ago and people still use the old name

If people use Bord Uisce it may be wrong but it'll soon get picked up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭amber2

Got a leaflet on Friday in the letterbox stating that meters are being installed in our area from Monday on or within three days of the 24/11/ listing the do's and dont's of using certain appliances during this time. So went out this morning only to find that the meter was in fact installed Friday and is up to 160 litres already so has been in there for some days. So why give a signed leaflet to residents giving an instillation date at all. Is this fitted illegally. Rang irish water as as usual they have no idea why this would happen.

amber2 wrote: »
    Got a leaflet on Friday in the letterbox stating that meters are being installed in our area from Monday on or within three days of the 24/11/ listing the do's and dont's of using certain appliances during this time. So went out this morning only to find that the meter was in fact installed Friday and is up to 160 litres already so has been in there for some days. So why give a signed leaflet to residents giving an instillation date at all. Is this fitted illegally. Rang irish water as as usual they have no idea why this would happen.

Why would it have been fitted "illegally"?

• Advertisement

Is there a legal obligation on Irish water to inform residence of instillation dates in your area. I'm just assuming that since they gave us a notice with a date on it that there might be, even though that the meter was in fact installed 4 days prior to the notice date hand written and signed off on the form.

Also rang irish water quoted the meter serial number and they have no record of any meters being fitted in our area even though the houses around us have had them installed also.

Is there a legal obligation on Irish water to inform residence of instillation dates in your area. I'm just assuming that since they gave us a notice with a date on it that there might be, even though that the meter was in fact installed 4 days prior to the notice date hand written and signed off on the form.

I think they only give notice as a courtesy to residents to inform them that there will be minor disruption in the area. They were probably going to work on another area but due to protests they skipped that area and therefore got to your area earlier than anticipated.

Also rang irish water quoted the meter serial number and they have no record of any meters being fitted in our area even though the houses around us have had them installed also.

Paper work probably hasn't gone through yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kartoonhead

i dont agree with the workers getting abused i think people are venting anger at what they or who they work for ..

Haven't had any interation with Irish water employees so that's not an issue here, but I know what you mean.

Anyways there does seem to be an issue as irish water rang back and apologised said they will escalate the issue and get a Mgr to call back, otherwise they could interrupt supplies and then give notice at any time in the future due to a disruption that occurred in the past. Seems a bit irish!!

As of today irish water have no record of the meter numbers installed in our area as works are not due to commence until next week even though lots of houses in our area have had meters installed. If you do by chance get a notice check if a Meter has already been installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kartoonhead

meters in our areas have been installed for couple of months now ...some house cannot have meters installed and are on a fixed fee ? irish water inspects the meters no readings are taken as he justs lifts the lid for a nano sec on to the next one and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Friday was the 21st, on or within three days of the 24/11/. Whats wrong with that?
    My wild guess is that the lads got the previous estate finished early so cracked on with their next assignment, they're not county council clowns running the show anymore. The protesters slow them down so much that when they can make progress, they do.

Cedrus wrote: »
    Friday was the 21st, on or within three days of the 24/11/. Whats wrong with that?
    My wild guess is that the lads got the previous estate finished early so cracked on with their next assignment, they're not county council clowns running the show anymore. The protesters slow them down so much that when they can make progress, they do.

They installed the meter Thursday and left a note on Friday stating they are installing on Monday or within three days From that date, from Monday.

They installed the meter Thursday and left a note on Friday stating they are installing on Monday or within three days From that date, from Monday.

Again, maybe they got to you earlier than expected, i'm thinking the lads who post leaflets are a totally different crowd to the lads who install meters. what seems to be your issue other than they installed the meter a day or 2 early? Are you pissed they installed it without causing you any obstruction or are you pissed that they installed it without you being given the chance to cause them obstruction?

• Advertisement

Again, maybe they got to you earlier than expected, i'm thinking the lads who post leaflets are a totally different crowd to the lads who install meters. what seems to be your issue other than they installed the meter a day or 2 early? Are you pissed they installed it without causing you any obstruction or are you pissed that they installed it without you being given the chance to cause them obstruction?

Advertisement