Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water meter installation area's?

Options
  • 03-11-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, does anyone have info, on where and what area's will IW be installing meters on a day to day basis?.
    Is there any info online, couldn't find any!.
    Greatly appreciated if anyone has a list of area's of forthcoming work.
    I live near Bray, they haven't been here yet..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Steve012 wrote: »
    Hey folks, does anyone have info, on where and what area's will IW be installing meters on a day to day basis?.
    Is there any info online, couldn't find any!.
    Greatly appreciated if anyone has a list of area's of forthcoming work.
    I would imagine they're trying to keep that confidential so they can get a head start before the protesters follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Would seem logical from their point of view alright!, guess its prob a case of waiting to see the van's roll in..
    Handy to know in advance though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Would seem logical from their point of view alright!, guess its prob a case of waiting to see the van's roll in..
    Handy to know in advance though. :)

They leaflet the area to let people know about potential disruption from digging up pavements etc.

Gives the career protestors time to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're currently busy all over the place in Bray at the moment, and have been for months.

"Career protesters", have helped in many area's of Dublin (using the word help because who don't want the meter's until the leaks and water quality is fixed). I am not one myself, I have a day job, like most people in my area we don't want a meter! simple's.

Thank Alun, won't be long so!, My meter is 3/4 way into the actual property, when 7ft gates are closed, they have access to 1/4 of the original uisce lid.
    Does anyone know or been in similar situation that this has happened?.

• Advertisement

I don't want anyone 'helping' me to avoid getting a meter thanks, so if any of those career protesters come anywhere near my house they'll be told where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

"Career protesters", have helped in many area's of Dublin (using the word help because who don't want the meter's until the leaks and water quality is fixed). I am not one myself, I have a day job, like most people in my area we don't want a meter! simple's.

You are aware that one of the reasons for the water meters is to identify the areas that require fixing? You are aware of that?

Also, apostrophes signify ownership, not plurality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

SeanF wrote: »
    You are aware that one of the reasons for the water meters is to identify the areas that require fixing? You are aware of that?

lolz!!

lolz!!

From the Irish Water website:
    "Improving water conservation
    Your meter will record how much water has been supplied to your home, allowing you to minimise your impact on the environment. Reduced water consumption will help combat climate change and ensure greater security of supply in areas where there are deficits."

In other words, assuming you're a defender of environmental issues, surely you should be protesting in favour of water meters?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thank Alun, won't be long so!, My meter is 3/4 way into the actual property, when 7ft gates are closed, they have access to 1/4 of the original uisce lid.
    Does anyone know or been in similar situation that this has happened?.

If you don't let them access it, I'm pretty sure they'll just install a new one outside the property.

• Advertisement

lol.. very good.
    They don't need meter's to identify leaks! :D
    Do you work for IW Seany?

lol.. very good.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1105/657103-water-meters-court/

You will have to stay 20 metres away from them.

Godge wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1105/657103-water-meters-court/

You will have to stay 20 metres away from them.

Cheers Godge, more intimidation!.. my stop cock is 3/4 way in my property. A car is parked over it.. wonder will they get the car removed from the driveway by a road rescue vehicle. Tbh I wouldn't be surprised ..

Thanks for the legal update, didn't see that on the news! :)

Cheers Godge, more intimidation!.. my stop cock is 3/4 way in my property. A car is parked over it.. wonder will they get the car removed from the driveway by a road rescue vehicle. Tbh I wouldn't be surprised ..

Eh, less intimidation.

The ones doing their job as they are legally entitled to do are the installers. Those ordinary workers are now less likely to face intimidation, being spitted on, abused etc.

lol.. very good.
    Unless the water is literally bubbling up out of the ground, how else can they know where to look? Many leaks go unnoticed for years, until something, often the road, collapses into a hole in the ground where the escaping water has eroded the underlying soil away.

In this case, the meters can provide useful information that can point them to where possible leaks may be. If they have one of their own flow meters on a water pipe feeding a number of houses, and it reads X m3, and the sum of all the readings on the household meters comes to Y m3, and X > Y, then X-Y m3 has gone missing somewhere.

I seem to remember they used this technique somewhere (Dun Laoghaire?) where they were trialling the meters to discover some hitherto undiscovered, and quite major, leaks.

And no, I don't work for IW either before you ask.

Godge wrote: »
    Eh, less intimidation.

The ones doing their job as they are legally entitled to do are the installers. Those ordinary workers are now less likely to face intimidation, being spitted on, abused etc.

Intimidation from the Government I meant, yes the lads are doing a days work. I feel sorry for them. Its not a job I would do, and I am in the building sector..

There is many a point here re Irish water and it's predecessors The council.
    Lots of people I know do not use their water from tap for drinking. Far too much fluoride/chlorine in the water to begin with.
    We are working on construction in Clontarf at the moment, and the water coming into the house's, tastes like it came partly from a public swimming pool.
    Hard water etc.. Drogheda, Dundalk e.g, not fit for consumption purpose.

I know folks that shower and use the toilet with water coming from mains that's it.. and without consent of contract, they are having meter's forced onto the properties boundaries..!?
    Bord Uisce know where the majority of leaks are. We have 3 plumbers in our crew 2 are old school, they have worked with an bord usice in their time.
    Why pay for defected product? e.g If one's broadband is not up to scratch one changes to a different provider, only a fool would stick with the same inconsistent service..
    I know by living near Bray, eircom's broadband was so poor here, they didn't charge us while work's were being done to upgrade the line from Bray.

I believe same principle should apply. No? So should we just accept this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Why not mount an ongoing protest at Irish Water offices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

IW aren't installing meters where the stopcock is on private land (yet). Maybe in a couple of years if they are still around?

No I don't work for Irish Water.
    lol.. very good. They don't need meter's to identify leaks! :D
    This comment is so wrong. Like Alun said, one of the reasons for meters (see, no aprostophe) is to identify the problem areas in the system. In Dublin alone, it's estimated that 80 million litres leak from the system *every single day*. The meters will help to identify where this is happening. If you believed in environmental issues and water conservation, you'd support the installation of meters for this reason at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

IW installers were forced to leave Roundwood and Sean Heuston Place in Limerick today without installing meters following protests by local residents assisted by activists in the Anti-Austerity Alliance.

This comment is so wrong. Like Alun said, one of the reasons for meters (see, no aprostophe) is to identify the problem areas in the system. In Dublin alone, it's estimated that 80 million litres leak from the system *every single day*. The meters will help to identify where this is happening. If you believed in environmental issues and water conservation, you'd support the installation of meters for this reason at least.

This is nonsense - 48% of the water is being lost through leaks on the main pipe network, not between the pavement and someone's house. The government have wasted more than €500million on installing water meters and a further €100million setting up the Irish Water quango when that money could have been spent on repairing some of the leaks on the pipe network.

The meters are being installed to facilitate the imposition of charges and the future privatisation of water in this country. It has nothing to do with conservation in the same way that the bin tax was to facilitate the privatisation of bin collection with the result that councils are now paying out millions every year cleaning up illegal dumps that private gangsters are using to dump rubbish that they are being paid to remove.

IW installers were forced to leave Roundwood and Sean Heuston Place in Limerick today without installing meters following protests by local residents assisted by activists in the Anti-Austerity Alliance.

Why do they need assistance from AAA? Are they incapable of thinking for themselves?

No I don't work for Irish Water.

an bord uisce know where roughly 65% the leaks are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

.............................. and without consent of contract, they are having meter's forced onto the properties boundaries..!?...........................

Freemen thread That way >>>>

Why do they need assistance from AAA? Are they incapable of thinking for themselves?

The Anti-Austerity Alliance stand shoulder to shoulder will any community opposing water meters and water charges in whatever way possible - in this case by mobilising activists and supporters to join the protest. The bigger the numbers the easier it is to face down IW and the cops.

The Anti-Austerity Alliance stand shoulder to shoulder will any community opposing water meters and water charges in whatever way possible - in this case by mobilising activists and supporters to join the protest. The bigger the numbers the easier it is to face down IW and the cops.

And this has NOTHING to do with the 2016 General election? God Bless your innocence!

Yes, the bigger the number of outsiders the bigger the intimidation, to honest workers and residents alike.

an bord uisce know where roughly 65% the leaks are.
    Do they? Source?

Alun wrote: »
    Do they? Source?

Ex Bord Uisce employees,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Ex Bord Uisce employees,

Do they know exactly where they are to the nearest few feet - or just what general area has the leaks ?

Advertisement