Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you reckon the old Source Sligo building should be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

staff were really good in enniskillen - so friendly and kept coming round asking if everything was ok with our meal - didnt seem to be unhappy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The Vinters Association also influence the price. Hence the reason why the ROI brances dont/wont serve Guinness, they couldn't agree a price with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

how can weatherspoons do it - if others cant match price? - is it because they are a chain? or what do you reckon? - they would have the same insurance , rent, lighting heating etc - the same costs that a lot of irish businesses say puts prices up in ireland in the hospitality, pubs and restaurant businesses yet they seem a lot cheaper on their meals

Presume they can buy their drink and food a lot cheaper, as they're a chain buying massive volumes between all their premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

staff were really good in enniskillen - so friendly and kept coming round asking if everything was ok with our meal - didnt seem to be unhappy

Well if they are even more dependent upon tips they'll work for 'em.

Well if they are even more dependent upon tips they'll work for 'em.

oh shyte - didnt tip them - i feel bad now! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

JD WS have announced that they are looking for sites:

1940022_820814951291120_1515595571913329331_n.jpg?oh=8f2cd056dd6f5ae10f29be0ef4272666&oe=551B0094&__gda__=1423414205_31404658f24dffbdad131dd9c7bbfe98

I might send them a suggestion.

Geuze wrote: »
    I might send them a suggestion.

good idea that, and the previous owners (source) used it as a food establishment and had a drinks licence, so thats in its favour for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

JD WS have announced that they are looking for sites:

1940022_820814951291120_1515595571913329331_n.jpg?oh=8f2cd056dd6f5ae10f29be0ef4272666&oe=551B0094&__gda__=1423414205_31404658f24dffbdad131dd9c7bbfe98

Good job showing it to us and doing a bit of researching. We would love to have them here in sligo like!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

I feel it would work well as a bar/disco bar/niteclub, similar to Murtaghs in Carrick. 3 floors with a different theme. I know this would take a serious cash injection but I feel it is badly needed.

Sligo's stag/hen scene is improving but is still way behind Carrick and I feel the need for a decent venue is a lot of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Would make a great Nandos.

Carson10 wrote: »
    Would make a great Nandos.

Would sooner them, than a Wetherspoons.

Would still rather a M&S though.

I take back what I said. Was in the Enniskillen one today for some dinner, after reading here how good it was, and actually really enjoyed it. I know The Linnen Tree is an alot older building compared to Source, so wouldn't expect the same decor, but the food, service, and value for money was really good today. I know the ROI branches cant/dont serve Guinness, but as currently off the stuff the lack of it currently isn't a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Would you not prefer something locally owned?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Would you not prefer something locally owned?

its a quaint idea but i dont think then it would offer value for money which these kind of chains tend to do and are in the position of doing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

its a quaint idea but i dont think then it would offer value for money which these kind of chains tend to do and are in the position of doing ...
    And then we look for someone to blame for local businesses closing down in the centre of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I've never been in the place, how big is it? I suppose practicalities would disallow, but why not an indoor market twice or so a week?

The People's Market and small start-up businesses in Strandhill has brought people in from near and far. And continues to grow.

I guess it's impractical for many reasons, mainly the rental cost, but if our County Council weren't so strapped for cash by their own actions. it might have been something they could have been lobbied to support.

red sean wrote: »
    And then we look for someone to blame for local businesses closing down in the centre of town.

I know its not ideal - but i suppose a building of that size and space must be enormously high rent and rates and you imagine a local business trying to run that sucessufully with their head above water - Id rather see a long term big name resident/chain store/shop/eating establishment in that building than a local business who will be there for a while and not mage to make enough to pay for rent and rates and then eventually be empty again personally.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I know the ROI branches cant/dont serve Guinness, but as currently off the stuff the lack of it currently isn't a deal breaker for me.

They serve Beamish stout, and other draught stouts.

They also serve Irish bottles stout.

The likes of Wetherspoons will contribute little to the local or national economy. Almost all their purchases are made in the UK.
    This way they can easily force indigenous pubs out of business.
    But the people who complain about the heart of Sligo dying are more interested in a cheap pint of British beer.

• Advertisement

The likes of Wetherspoons will contribute little to the local or national economy. Almost all their purchases are made in the UK.
    But the people who complain about the heart of Sligo dying are more interested in a cheap pint of British beer.

maybe not contribute to Irish stock/produce (mind you I think they would buy irish beef and other stuff etc ) - but they will be contributing in other ways / economy and giving people employment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

You could argue of course that it was locally owned, look how that turned out.

I'd rather a local business too but the rates in this town seem to throttle small businesses instead of promoting them.

I heard a story recently that a business was looking for a unit in town and the landlord wanted double the rent that the previous tenant was paying, even though the new tenant was willing to match the previous rent payments. In they end they didn't bother.

They said that this may be down to the fact landlords/owners don't have to pay rates on unoccupied units, basically, they would prefer the unit empty because it doesn't cost them rate charges rather than rent it for what others are willing to pay.

If that's the case then maybe if the landlords of unoccupied buildings had some sort of council payments to make maybe they'd be more willing to rent them at reasonable prices?

Maybe they've changed policy very recently, but all the foodstuff sourced in Ireland was the bare minimum. Sausages and rashers even came from Britain.
    Give me an Irish pub any day! ( and thats not being racist or political )

rizzodun wrote: »
    You could argue of course that it was locally owned, look how that turned out.

I'd rather a local business too but the rates in this town seem to throttle small businesses instead of promoting them.

I heard a story recently that a business was looking for a unit in town and the landlord wanted double the rent that the previous tenant was paying, even though the new tenant was willing to match the previous rent payments. In they end they didn't bother.

They said that this may be down to the fact landlords/owners don't have to pay rates on unoccupied units, basically, they would prefer the unit empty because it doesn't cost them rate charges rather than rent it for what others are willing to pay.

If that's the case then maybe if the landlords of unoccupied buildings had some sort of council payments to make maybe they'd be more willing to rent them at reasonable prices?

I agree - its this fact (silly carry on) whereby there is no rates to be paid on empty units what kills the town because if it is looking more attractive to the landlords if their unit is empty rather than having tenants in it and opened up then youve got a situation of a load of empty shops, the town looking like a ghost town and then people not wanting to shop there any more and just travel onto other towns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Re: Wetherspoons, I wouldn't give a sh1t where the good/drinks/produce are sourced from. As long as there is a buzz about and the town is stopped from becoming a ghost town that no-one wants to visit.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/FortyFoot2015.pdf

Steaks, burgers = Irish

Some beef = Irish

• WE USE BANDON VALE CHEDDAR CHEESE, RIVERVIEW
    FREE-RANGE SHELL EGGS, LOUGHNANES PORK SAUSAGES,
    McCARREN BACK BACON, WHOLESOME FARMS MILK,
    GLENOWN ICE CREAM AND IRWIN’S WHEATEN BREAD

BALLYGOWAN WATER 500ml bottle 1.75
    Sparkling or still = IRL

PEPSI; DIET PEPSI; 1.95 = probably IRL

R WHITES LEMONADE 398ml glass - never heard of it, could be imported

COCA-COLA; DIET COKE 200ml bottle 1.50 = syrup for most of EU is made here

FRUIT JUICE 340ml glass 1.95
    Apple; cranberry; orange

CIDONA 284ml bottle 2.25 = IRL??

CLUB ORANGE or LEMON 220ml bottle 2.25 = IRL??

ROCK SHANDY 2 x 220ml bottle 4.50
    Club orange mixed with club lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

R WHITES LEMONADE 398ml glass - never heard of it, could be imported

:pac::pac:

They serve Beamish stout, and other draught stouts.

They also serve Irish bottles stout.

In fairness, Beamish is muck compared to other stouts.

:D

As for one of the locally owned comments (not by you Geuze), of course a locally owned or independent would be prefered, but then at least a chain might provide new revenue to the town, and fill an empty building. Also at least with a Weatherspoons, would have somewhere to go for the fry up on a sunday, something that is really lacking in the town.

I suppose I was orriginally reluctant against them, beacuse of their lack of known brews, amd the clientle I thought they would have attracted. Ones I would used to are in London, and always seemed to attract a certain class of drinker, but having been in ones recemtly in Chester, and last week in Enniskillen, I was quite impressed and the range of drinks, the quality of their food, and value, and a real mix of crowd, ie, people getting a quick bite or a quiet drink on the way home, familys out for a meal, people getting in a few drinks before heading else where, etc etc etc.

• Advertisement

I suppose what you have with the big well known chain places is that they are in a better position to afford the lease/rent and rates on a building such as the source building and if you had say for example something like a McDonalds or Supermacs or Burger King or similar these places never get this kind of "will it work, will it fail?" because nearly everyone knows them, they know what kind of food they sell , the taste, the quality of the food because its all consistent accross the country/world (well apart from Supermacs that is)

- and it would be an odd day when say something like a McDonalds restuarant closes down because its not making enough money/business (sorry to 4 lights I know this would be too much close competition right on your doorstep) but the thing is as in every retail business if every time someone wanted to start up a business and was frightened of 'stepping on someones toes' then half of these business would ever go ahead or get off the ground.

I mean if it was a Marks & Spencers food and clothes store wanted to open up in the source building then most probably Tesco and Penneys would kick up a fuss , but then even if they done that it shouldnt mean that M&S should be turned down for that building.

Advertisement