Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you reckon the old Source Sligo building should be?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Plenty of pubs doing good value food and drink already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Are they?

Where can I get fish+chips and a pint for 12.95 every day and 9.95 on a Fri?

Or steak+chips plus a pint on Tues?

And that's Dublin prices.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf

Cod and chips is 13.95 in the Belfry, add a pint and it's 18 euro.

http://www.belfrypub.com/downloads/BELFRY-BAR-BITES.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Why don't you open it then?

that ol' devil called Money? - would it even get planning permission? ... knowing Sligo no!

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Kebabs, Tex-Mex and farmers markets are posh, rich and pretentious? What were you reared on, meanies and rothmans?
    ah no sure I was joking .... there is some high brow posh people live in Sligo, am sure they would love the Source building turned into what u suggested it would be right up their street! :)

I was up in a JD Weatherspoons in Enniskillen on halloween night fantastic value, good portions and very reasonable prices... yeah, id love one down here in sligo ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Geuze wrote: »
    Are they?

Where can I get fish+chips and a pint for 12.95 every day and 9.95 on a Fri?

Or steak+chips plus a pint on Tues?

And that's Dublin prices.

Cod and chips is 13.95 in the Belfry, add a pint and it's 18 euro.

http://www.belfrypub.com/downloads/BELFRY-BAR-BITES.pdf
    Swagman wouldn't be a million miles off those prices.

Pretty sure belfry do deals on a meal and pint too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I was up in a JD Weatherspoons in Enniskillen on halloween night fantastic value, good portions and very reasonable prices... yeah, id love one down here in sligo ...

Given your recent post history I'd worry more about your cholesterol levels than the lack of reasonably priced pub grub in Sligo...

The last thing you probably need is another fast food chain/pub franchise opening anywhere near.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A souless pub chain that doesn't serve Guinness. No thank you.

Although I would give them credit on their food, if I can ger a Peroni or Tiger along with it.

EDIT

Scrap that, dont serve them either.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Good variety of ales if you're in to that, which won't be everyone's cup of tea I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

So we're ruling out a big roundy slide from the top floor to the street?

• Advertisement

Plazaman wrote: »
    So we're ruling out a big roundy slide from the top floor to the street?

dont rule out anything lol - and if its been raining the street below will turn into a swimming pool so even more fun!:)

It's a good site for a proper HMV store!

Big toy store with floors of Toys? like a mini Hamleys? :-) - I know we already have smyths but thats way up the retail park - if it was though they better get it done fast for getting this chrimbo's business!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'd still go for an M&S, food court on the ground floor, and homewears/clothing on the remainder.

Unfortunately its location would make for deliveries very difficult, regardless on the type of store put in there.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I'd still go for an M&S, food court on the ground floor, and homewears/clothing on the remainder.

Unfortunately its location would make for deliveries very difficult, regardless on the type of store put in there.

yeah that would be cool an M&S store. - terrible that they havent re-designed to town centre over the years to accommodate delivery lorries properly to get to these places - I mean they (whoever is in charge? - is it the chamber of commerce?) say they want shop businesses in the town itself and are not keen on shops going to Retail Parks (or ban them from getting planning permission) but they dont look at the bigger picture of the parking spaces near to the shops and the delivery areas where the trucks can access the back of shops - I would absolutely hate have to drive a lorry and do deliverys in Sligo town centre it must be a nightmare manoeuvring and parking to unload!

I always have a pint of John Smiths Extra Smooth when I am in there! Do they have that in the Irish Wetherspoons?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I always have a pint of John Smiths Extra Smooth when I am in there! Do they have that in the Irish Wetherspoons?

I was up in the Northern Ireland JD Weatherspoons the other day - didnt have no alcoholic beverage - just had a cup of tea with me ham, egg and chips (and 2 eggs no less!) - came to £3.50 and very nice it was too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

yeah that would be cool an M&S store. - terrible that they havent re-designed to town centre over the years to accommodate delivery lorries properly to get to these places - I mean they (whoever is in charge? - is it the chamber of commerce?) say they want shop businesses in the town itself and are not keen on shops going to Retail Parks (or ban them from getting planning permission) but they dont look at the bigger picture of the parking spaces near to the shops and the delivery areas where the trucks can access the back of shops - I would absolutely hate have to drive a lorry and do deliverys in Sligo town centre it must be a nightmare manoeuvring and parking to unload!
    Where does all this space magically appear from to redesign the town widen it for traffic and create parking closer to the shops.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Where does all this space magically appear from to redesign the town widen it for traffic and create parking closer to the shops.

er - one suggestion , tear down some buildings to make way, or they should have done years ago - and is it a town centre or a residential area? dunno whether u can have both side by side running succesfully .... shall i get me coat now :rolleyes:

zorro2566 wrote: »

Tetley's smooth flow is mentioned..........

• Advertisement

I was up in the Northern Ireland JD Weatherspoons the other day - didnt have no alcoholic beverage - just had a cup of tea with me ham, egg and chips (and 2 eggs no less!) - came to £3.50 and very nice it was too :)

Ham, egg and chips is 5.95 in JD WS in Blackrock, Co. Dublin.

That includes a drink.

7.95 if you want an alcoholic drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

Wetherspoons and McDs. Jaysus Andy, your OH must have loved your first date.

mosstin wrote: »
    Wetherspoons and McDs. Jaysus Andy, your OH must have loved your first date.

oh come on give me some credit it wasnt on the first date......... it was on the second date jeez! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

There was a second?!?

There was a second?!?

there was, and then we married in 91 and we still very much together - i think it cemented our relationship lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

To be honest I think it should open up as m&s or it could be like a bar, restaurant and a stage where people could go to gigs. Its in the centre of town like it could work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Wetherspoons pubs have absolutely no atmosphere.

I wouldn't go to one if it was in town, however the competition my force other pubs to lower their prices.

The downside to that is that many pubs couldn't really afford to lower their prices as they are on tight enough margins already.

I'd hate to see a locally owned pub go out of business due to Wetherspoons coming into town.

how can weatherspoons do it - if others cant match price? - is it because they are a chain? or what do you reckon? - they would have the same insurance , rent, lighting heating etc - the same costs that a lot of irish businesses say puts prices up in ireland in the hospitality, pubs and restaurant businesses yet they seem a lot cheaper on their meals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

They source everything from their UK stores and buy f*** all locally. They also pay very badly. Spoke to a young lad who worked for them in Enniskillen and reckons they're horrible to work for.

• Advertisement

red sean wrote: »
    They source everything from their UK stores and buy f*** all locally. They also pay very badly. Spoke to a young lad who worked for them in Enniskillen and reckons they're horrible to work for.

oh thats bad innit ! exploitation! ... still , cheap food! bring it on lol :D

Advertisement