Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you reckon the old Source Sligo building should be?

Options
  • 03-11-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭

I said to my mrs that it would make a good food hall type premises with maybe 3 of the main fast food places (McDonalds, Burger King, KFC) operating in the same building but with tables shared by all - it works up in liffey valley centre. It just means if you had a family or friends where they all like different fast food they can order in the same building and all sit down together and eat. - I personally miss BK and McDonalds in the town centre also. I know McD's are up at the retail park but its not the same. - If not that kind of place then what do you think the building/business/shop should be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

It's prime location would suit most retail operations with large turnover to cover associated overheads.
    But I'd say the overheads are a problem.
    We have plenty fast food shyte in town already!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Gigantic 4 Lights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

Strip club

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A prime location for a bar/restaurant......

Ah wait.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

red sean wrote: »
    ....We have plenty fast food shyte in town already!

I often think what outsiders make of the town centre when they visit it - so they are walking around and they are hungry and for familiarity most probably think I wonder where the McDonalds or Burger king or KFC is in Sligo Town - so they are on foot and McDonalds and KFC is tucked away up at the Retail park - ideal if you know they exist up there and if you have a car and can whiz up there but if your walking around the Town Centre and feel peckish for (a well known fast food place) your stuffed - yes I know four lights is there - good place but quite cramped inside at most times and not enough tables and its not your well known fast food establishment which outsiders might not be aware of and still might want to find a Burger King or McDonalds instead.

But McDonalds and Burger King were always ultra busy when I went into them in O'Connell street it werent like they were struggling and empty so for the life of me I cannot understand why they went from the town centre ...

• Advertisement

I often think what outsiders make of the town centre when they visit it - so they are walking around and they are hungry and for familiarity most probably think I wonder where the McDonalds or Burger king or KFC is in Sligo Town - so they are on foot and McDonalds and KFC is tucked away up at the Retail park - ideal if you know they exist up there and if you have a car and can whiz up there but if your walking around the Town Centre and feel peckish for (a well known fast food place) your stuffed - yes I know four lights is there - good place but quite cramped inside at most times and not enough tables and its not your well known fast food establishment which outsiders might not be aware of and still might want to find a Burger King or McDonalds instead.

But McDonalds and Burger King were always ultra busy when I went into them in O'Connell street it werent like they were struggling and empty so for the life of me I cannot understand why they went from the town centre ...

I think its not a bad thing when you don't see a McDonalds. Too many of them about and opening everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I often think what outsiders make of the town centre when they visit it - so they are walking around and they are hungry and for familiarity most probably think I wonder where the McDonalds or Burger king or KFC is in Sligo Town

Anyone I know that visits Sligo wonders what the hell happened to The Source. By far the best food in Sligo. Foodies delight all sourced locally... Nothing comes close to it in Sligo now. Coach Lane is ok, not very creative. Eala Bhan is an overpriced carvery with white table cloths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

The less chippers in town the better.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I think its not a bad thing when you don't see a McDonalds. Too many of them about and opening everywhere.

its all about choice isnt it - and also if the demand is there then why not?

I always find that when I visit other towns that there is a McDonalds or Burger King or the like nearby to where I'm shopping ... except for Sligo town now, why just have that McDonalds and KFC tucked away up at the retail park there? - Have also been to towns where they have 2 McDonalds premises one in town centre and one in an out of town retail park and they get packed, if it works in other towns why not in Sligo?

6781 wrote: »
    The less chippers in town the better.

Do you share the view of the people who live in the town and people who visit sligo town? - fair enough if you are in the view that the less chippers in town the better thats grand you can just go to many of the other eating establishments in Sligo town, there is enough (too much) of them but for the people who like the familiarity of the well known fast food chains why should they be deprived of these places to eat in -

• Advertisement

people should have choice , fair enough a lot of the food in fast food places and chippies is bad for health and make people obese (everything in moderation is ok though) - but you shouldnt be able to pick and choose to tell people what to eat when they are hungry at breakfast time, lunch time and tea time when they are out shopping - personally as it stands if I am shopping in Tesco penneys or wherever and hunger pains come on and I fancy a nice McDonalds wrap or a McDonalds cheeseburger or anything from McDonalds . ... I cant because its all the way up at the Retail Park... sure I could walk all the way from Tesco's all the way up the the retail park (what a trek if your starving) but however if there was a McDonalds back in O'Connell street how handy would that be ... I know you already have the 4 Lights (And nice it is too and I eat in there sometimes, if i can get a seat) .... but at the end of the day its not a McDonalds restaurant!

people should have choice , fair enough a lot of the food in fast food places and chippies is bad for health and make people obese (everything in moderation is ok though) - but you shouldnt be able to pick and choose to tell people what to eat when they are hungry at breakfast time, lunch time and tea time when they are out shopping - personally as it stands if I am shopping in Tesco penneys or wherever and hunger pains come on and I fancy a nice McDonalds wrap or a McDonalds cheeseburger or anything from McDonalds . ... I cant because its all the way up at the Retail Park... sure I could walk all the way from Tesco's all the way up the the retail park (what a trek if your starving) but however if there was a McDonalds back in O'Connell street how handy would that be ... I know you already have the 4 Lights (And nice it is too and I eat in there sometimes, if i can get a seat) .... but at the end of the day its not a McDonalds restaurant!

Would I be right in saying, you go for them because of the familiarity, and you know what you are getting when you go in.

If that's the case I can agree with that, if there is no other choice.

Choice is good, but then if you go to a place and all you see is multinationals, it takes away the uniqueness of a place.

Remember heading off several years ago on holiday, a small ski resort, and even before you entered the town, you could see the Golden Arces, and thought, FFS, they are everywhere. One particular night, unfortunately I had to use the familiarity arguement for eating there. Didn't enjoy my evening meal, and just wanted something handy. Unfortunately the presence of a multinational in a small resort meant there was nothing else.

Maybe the lack of a Mc Donald's and Burger King in town, had allowed Irish Companies, and other smaller takeaways to do well.

Would I be right in saying, you go for them because of the familiarity, and you know what you are getting when you go in.

If that's the case I can agree with that, if there is no other choice.

Choice is good, but then if you go to a place and all you see is multinationals, it takes away the uniqueness of a place.

I happen to believe in towns there is a place for the multinationals and the other businesses to run side by side and that most of the time there would be enough custom to go around (if the town is good at attracting customers to shop in the town that is)

Maybe the lack of a Mc Donald's and Burger King in town, had allowed Irish Companies, and other smaller takeaways to do well.

Maybe, but I would like to see how well the normal cafes and restuarants did way back when there was Mc.D and BK in O'connell street - still good I would say. Even 4 lights up at the top there were still busy when Mc.D and BK were in O'connel street as far as I can recall, so if it wouldnt have worked back then 4 lights would have been as dead as a dodo, but they werent - I think a lot of visitors to the town would still spread their money around different establishments as they do when they go to other towns in Ireland - the ones that dont like McDonalds and BK or any other fast food place will continue to spend their money in Cafe Fleur, Tesco arcade (o'hehirs) pepper alley or whatever (sorry if i missed out other eating establishments)

wonder how many visitors do come to sligo town centre (especially young families and teenagers) and go ' oh there must be a McDonalds or Burger king in the town surely??' and then dont even realise there is one up the retail park or if they do say "shag that I aint gonna be bothered to walk all the way up there, would you be bothered like" lol

I think (whether rightly or wrongly) these days that your gonna go to a town and expect to see the golden arches there - its just become the norm hasnt it these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I happen to believe in towns there is a place for the multinationals and the other businesses to run side by side and that most of the time there would be enough custom to go around (if the town is good at attracting customers to shop in the town that is)

Maybe, but I would like to see how well the normal cafes and restuarants did way back when there was Mc.D and BK in O'connell street - still good I would say. Even 4 lights up at the top there were still busy when Mc.D and BK were in O'connel street as far as I can recall, so if it wouldnt have worked back then 4 lights would have been as dead as a dodo, but they werent - I think a lot of visitors to the town would still spread their money around different establishments as they do when they go to other towns in Ireland - the ones that dont like McDonalds and BK or any other fast food place will continue to spend their money in Cafe Fleur, Tesco arcade (o'hehirs) pepper alley or whatever (sorry if i missed out other eating establishments)

I think 4 lanterns food's quality has plummeted since McDonalds and BK left the town, it's like they don't have to try as hard if they have no competition, as a family orientated fast food outlet in the town centre they're on their own now, and they don't have to try as hard to get people in the door.

Although I very rarely eat fast food anymore, normally if I'm in town and I'm hungry I'll just head home.

As for source, I wouldn't be surprised to see that unit empty for a long, long time. No need for more restaurants in town, and not enough people to keep a very unique type of business open on that corner, I honestly can't think of anything I would like to see in town that that building could cater for.

rizzodun wrote: »
    ....As for source, I wouldn't be surprised to see that unit empty for a long, long time. No need for more restaurants in town, and not enough people to keep a very unique type of business open on that corner, I honestly can't think of anything I would like to see in town that that building could cater for.

yeah i know, its a tough one to think what would work there really - its a pretty fine building though, shame to see it empty and will be a shame to see it empty for years - very good prominent and highly visible location as well

not wishing to dis-respect a lot of the eating establishments in town but a lot of them are a bit pretentious / posh / upmarket and arty farty though - there i've said it :) - give me a nasty looking Mc.D's cheeseburger anyday for €1.50 or a meal deal for 6.50 rather than a plate of posh stuff that aint gonna fill you up - I like subway but so pokey in there if you wanted to sit down and eat good value for money though - even in tesco arcade or the cafe in Johnstone court SC you wouldnt think that too pricey to eat in there but sometimes you can spend nearly a tenner in there and not get that much for your money when you think about it - whereas if there was a McD's in the town centre you know that stuff really isnt gonna cost an arm and a leg and is gonna fill you up for quite a while

rizzodun wrote: »
    I think 4 lanterns food's quality has plummeted since McDonalds and BK left the town, it's like they don't have to try as hard if they have no competition, as a family orientated fast food outlet in the town centre they're on their own now, and they don't have to try as hard to get people in the door.

Havent been in there for ages - used to love the All Day Breakfast for €6.50 including a cup of tea (wonder if they still do that) and good size portion, not just 1 sausage and 1 rasher like some people do, but really put off with the inside of the place and how small it was inside and if you were lucky getting a seat especially if school was out - and I found it quite slow in there I would question 'Fast food' in a lot of these places at least when you go into McD's you give your order and its pretty snappy from the time you order it to the time you get it. And thats what a fast food place is supposed to be like - not waiting ages for your food to be ready ...

not wishing to dis-respect a lot of the eating establishments in town but a lot of them are a bit pretentious / posh / upmarket and arty farty

What's posh? Beef, lamb, fish, oysters, mussels? The traditional food of our ancestors.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    What's posh? Beef, lamb, fish, oysters, mussels? The traditional food of our ancestors.

not necessarily .... but the presentation of it can be quite posh in some of these places ... i mean get over yourself i feel like saying to them, this is sligo not paris lol :) - i like food on a plate that meets and shakes hands with other food on the plate if you know what i mean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Please God no more take away crap :) I would love to see a really good wholefood store selling a good variety of organic, local, sustainable products. From food to clothes to homeware. A good mix of products

The fast food chain belong in retail parks where overweight people drive there to to eat, I reckon small towns can do without them and the rubbish that goes with them.

I'm guessing a nice feature in the town would be a food hall/market type of set up. Local food, maybe some ethnic stuff, burrito bar, sushi bar, Chinese all you can eat, kebab bar with a high end restaurant or at least one that's better than the rest that would open at night. One of the floors could be used as a mini supermaket selling high end food. A local monger, butcher, greengrocer, pickles, wines, sauces, farmers market sort of vibe.

It would need local support thought. And, being honest, reading various threads, I don't think Sligo is big on decent food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Maybe it could be a chipper/bookies/cash for gold/euro saver all in one place...

not wishing to dis-respect a lot of the eating establishments in town but a lot of them are a bit pretentious / posh / upmarket and arty farty though - there i've said it :) - give me a nasty looking Mc.D's cheeseburger anyday for €1.50 or a meal deal for 6.50 rather than a plate of posh stuff that aint gonna fill you up - I like subway but so pokey in there if you wanted to sit down and eat good value for money though - even in tesco arcade or the cafe in Johnstone court SC you wouldnt think that too pricey to eat in there but sometimes you can spend nearly a tenner in there and not get that much for your money when you think about it - whereas if there was a McD's in the town centre you know that stuff really isnt gonna cost an arm and a leg and is gonna fill you up for quite a while

McDonalds must have really upped the quality of their food in the UK and Ireland branches in the 10 years plus since I ate in one, because I was always hungry again within half an hour.

Getting back to the possible uses, its quite hard to know what to put there.

In town there all ready is a large choice of earteries, from fast food, pub, and restaurant dinning.

There are all ready pubs and clubs, some already under performing.

And theres no need for another shopping centre, as units already unoccupied in Johnsons Court and the Quay Side. Unless some major chain such as M&S, or Department Store such as small scale Debenhams comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

The fast food chain belong in retail parks where overweight people drive there to to eat, I reckon small towns can do without them and the rubbish that goes with them.

I'm guessing a nice feature in the town would be a food hall/market type of set up. Local food, maybe some ethnic stuff, burrito bar, sushi bar, Chinese all you can eat, kebab bar with a high end restaurant or at least one that's better than the rest that would open at night. One of the floors could be used as a mini supermaket selling high end food. A local monger, butcher, greengrocer, pickles, wines, sauces, farmers market sort of vibe.

It would need local support thought. And, being honest, reading various threads, I don't think Sligo is big on decent food.

Sounds expensive, Sligo doesn't do expensive...

God you must think a lot of posh / rich /pretentious high brow people must live in sligo to get and use that kind of establishment LOL :D - far from a food hall/market type of set up. Local food, maybe some ethnic stuff, burrito bar, sushi bar people were raised on in Sligo haha :D

Ive actually changed me mind this evening , i think the Mcdonalds / Burger King / KFC / Pizza Hut / Abrakebabra should go up on the mezzanine top floor of the Quayside SC now instead of the Source place now - and what with new owners of the Quayside they might be well to have a think about it cause there aint nowt open up there at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Why don't you open it then?

God you must think a lot of posh / rich /pretentious high brow people must live in sligo to get and use that kind of establishment LOL - far from a food hall/market type of set up. Local food, maybe some ethnic stuff, burrito bar, sushi bar people were raised on in Sligo haha

Kebabs, Tex-Mex and farmers markets are posh, rich and pretentious? What were you reared on, meanies and rothmans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A JD Wetherspoon pub?

Good value food and drink.

Basic, no-frills food at reasonable prices.

You can suggest this location to them:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/about-us/our-pubs/a-wetherspoon-near-you

However, I somehow doubt the publicans of Sligo would welcome this competition.

Advertisement