Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving on up ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Thursday pm: 24miles cycle
    Cycled out-and-back along the coast in the evening, but shorter than planned.

Friday: nothing
    Was tired in the morning after > 8.5 hours sleep, and continued through the day, so shelved the aquajogging plans. Had that chest/ribs "we have worked" feeling that you sometimes get the day after a hard session.

Saturday: 1200m freestyle, strengthening
    Still *thought* I was tired but hard to justify that after a day off and 10hours sleep last night. Let the pool visit slide till afternoon and forgot to take the belt along. So swim only (though I wouldn't have had time for both swim and aquajog anyway). The reluctant swim was 25m, 10x50m, 100m, 50m, 2x100m, 50m, 3x100m, 75m. Adding all that up it looks like 1300m in fact, only thing I'm not sure of is the 3x100m ... but I think there were three.
    "medium" lanes seem to mean something different at the weekend (or maybe it's the 25m length), today there was a "new swimmer" in the lane doing the odd length in between rests and flinging his right arm out like a drunk boxer with a wild swing ... or perhaps like TbL without the lane-rope (ducks for cover) ... had to keep a close eye on where he was at all times for fear of getting whacked. But he was not doing many lengths so I came safe.
    It was time for another walk/jog but I left it till late and tied for time I did the strengthening instead :) :halo:

Sunday: 900m freestyle, 60mins aqua, 5mins walk, then 6x(2.5jog, 2.5walk)
    Spent about 30mins doing 4x50m, 5x100m, then 1x200m. By the end of the swim I was having no trouble swimming continuous lengths and could have extended that 200m except I had 60mins aquajogging to do before they raised the deep pool. Usual aquajogging session, tough on the sprints, had to take 60secs not 30secs after sprints 5 and 8. Gina A-M can sleep easy.
    Enjoyable couple of miles walking home from the pool - there's never been a pool visit where the ankle doesn't feel better after. Seems to free everything up.
    It had been raining here most of the weekend but it was beginning to ease off by afternoon so went out for the walk-jog up and back to the Lioness of Leith to see if I'd left my sunglasses on Tuesday eve - and I had! Retrieved them and was able to use them for the occasional bits of sunshine on the way home :). Walk-jog went ok, bits of ankle sensitivity on the first rep, but less on the others, and I finished them all without any worries.

weekly total: 3 running miles (36mins total, I must have covered 3 miles ...), 2 strengthenings
    There was nearly a third "bonus" strengthening this evening but I only got a few exercises done. Not due till tomorrow anyway.

Was going to wait until I was well into my re-start of the walk/jog and everything was going perfect, but might take a bit longer than expected. Over 10weeks gone now. How on earth did Laura Muir see off a stress *fracture* with just two weeks in the pool and another three weeks avoiding sessions.

24th-30th July:

Monday: 30mile cycle
    Along the coast and back in the evening sunshine, pushing against the wind on the return leg. Felt good. Loads of people and animals out, a festival event in Musselburgh, a pheasant who ran into the long grass before I could draw my camera, then further out lots of people paddling through the rock pools with their heads down to investigate .... Even got two sets of laundry done around the cycling. However skipped the strengthening....

Tuesday: walk/jog 6x(3min jog/2min walk), strengthening
    Had Aquajogging on the plan but was too lazy. Made myself do the strengthening in late evening before I allowed myself do my walk/jog after, had some niggling on the run sections ....

Wednesday: nothing
    Lazy and skipped everything.

Thursday: 60mins Aquajogging, walk/jog 6x(3min jog/2min walk), strengthening
    Ankle still niggling so I did Tuesday's session again rather than increase, and felt similar kind of niggling to Tuesday. Hmmm ...
    Went to the pool later and did the usual aquajogging session, working hard even on the tempos (don't always get this right), and also on the sprints: took 60secs rather than 30 after reps 4 and 7, also I ended the 10th at the end of the pool and hung onto the wall gasping a bit after the final sprint.

Had bullied myself to go to the pool after work, had made it there and gone up to the counter to swipe in, then changed my mind and went home instead ... Hit a new low this evening when I cooked tinned sardines to go with pasta for the bone-healing effects :*vomit*:. Never again.

Saturday: walk/jog 8x(3jog/1walk), 42miles cycle
    run: Was still having some niggles from the ankle/fibula quite late yesterday but had arranged to pace a couch-to-5k friend at parkrun. This is a new runner who is very sporadic even with the C-to-5k so the walk/jog was going to suit fine. We did 5mins w/u, 8x(3mins jog, 2mins walk) to scrape in under 45mins! Victory of the morning was passing a Couch-to-5k graduate about half way through and hence putting one person between us and the tail runner. Not sure there is going to be lots of progress from my pacee, one of those cases of planning rather than doing ... nice morning for it though, and trip to a cafe after.
    Had sensitivity during the jogs including a few more serious twinges from the 6th/7th rep. Even got a comment from my pacee that time but I passed it off (not wanting to reinforce her belief that running is a brutal challenge to the body :rolleyes:), and the leg was fine walking round after. This did not last ...
    cycle: Done out and back along the coast in the afternoon, surprise surprise, showers from time to time. Was quite comfortable. Had occasional ankle twinges which was weird, this wasn't an issue even immediately after the initial injury.

Sunday: 1000m freestyle, bits of strengthening
    Walked to the pool early afternoon and did 1000m free as 3x50m, 2x100m, 4x150m, 50m. The end was supposed to be 200m except I ended up behind a slow breaststroke and had to step aside and wait a while.
    Was having to avoid pushing off the wall with the left foot as it was making the ankle a bit sore. After the swim I went into the deep side of the pool to do an aquajogging session and the ankle was rebelling on the push-down of the aquajog :(. Just got out of the pool and walked home, couple of twinges coming out of the changing room but not a peep from it on the 2miles walk home. Weird *terrifying*. Aquajogging had been 100% fine even from the beginning of the fibula problems ...
    Started the strengthening during Handmaid's Tale but didn't finish.

weekly total: 5miles (I guess), 2.5 strengthenings
    Depressing end to the week with the leg feeling considerably worse. Not exactly the same spot as before but definitely the fibula. Only positive is that I worked out a test for monitoring progress this weekend; ankle was still mostly passing the "press on bone" test, but was very sensitive to rubbing up and down the ankle ... and also responding to a tap about 1.5 inches above the ankle nobble. useful for going ahead :(.

31st-6th August:

Monday: strengthening
    Really pissed-off about the re-injury but managed to get a strengthening session done listening to the Justin Grunewald podcast:
    http://www.ctollerun.com/justin-grunewald/
    (probably did put the fibula thing in perspective a bit).

Tuesday-Thursday: nothing
    Protecting the fibula for the first day or two, then just too lazy/demotivated. No strengthening either.... The ankle beginning to improve a bit.

Friday: 50mins aquajogging, strengthening
    Finally!! Was quite wary starting off but there was not a *peep* from the fibula. Whew. Pushed hard on the tempos and when it came to it I let myself off the sprints. Tight right hip flexor was part of the reason for cutting short, but not the only one ... Did the strengthening after watching the excitement of the mens 10000m.

Saturday: 30miles cycle, strengthening
    The usual coastal cycle, had to work hard against the wind on the way back.

Sunday: nothing
    Wasted quite a bit of time in front of the World Champs marathons. A bit knackered anyway so skipped plans for the pool, to wrap-up what was *definitely* a cutback week.

Ankle was feeling brilliant all during the weekend, even better than when I started the walk/jogs the first time. Passing my new tests too. Huge relief.

weekly total: 0miles, 3 strengthenings

7th-13th August:

Monday: 1500m freestyle, walk/jog 6x(1.5min jog, 3.5 walk), strengthening
    Back in the 50m pool. Swim done after work as 6x50m, 6x100m, and 1x600m. Was planning to do the final 600ms as 3x200m but I had hit a groove by the end of the first 200m and just kept on going and going. Was a less reluctant trip to the pool than usual and I just seemed to have a nice controlled effort from the start. Not a bit tired after either, not a surprise as I wasn't going fast.
    Had trainer-like walking shoes on so did the walk/jog on my route home from the pool after 4mins walking w/u. There were some small niggles which was a surprise after it feeling so good recently. Had a little bit of response rubbing up-and-down the fibula afterwards so I will wait till this is quiet before trying the next walk/jog.
    Strengthening done after watching the women's 1500m. By now I have good form/effort on most of these except the "drive throughs", still wobbling around on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

1x600m. Was planning to do the final 600ms as 3x200m but I had hit a groove by the end of the first 200m and just kept on going and going.

1 x 600! Nice :) I'm noticing too that I seem to get into a groove further into the swim if I haven't gone out too fast at the start - makes sense I guess, like settling into a long run.

Fingers crossed on the ankle twinges..

1 x 600! Nice :) I'm noticing too that I seem to get into a groove further into the swim if I haven't gone out too fast at the start - makes sense I guess, like settling into a long run.

Yep. To be calling it "warm up" does not make any sense for my swimming as it's a matter of usually starting out too fast and bringing it down.

They were only slight niggles yesterday eve. The rub-test is 98-99% even by now. But I'll be careful this time.

Still mostly cross-training here. Will start continuous running tomorrow so am feeling hopeful and have signed up ... have donated some money to Mountain Rescue Ireland. Let's see.

7th-13th August:

Monday: 1500m freestyle, walk/jog 6x(1.5min jog, 3.5 walk), strengthening
    This was the day I had the milder niggling (after the week off). Anyway read AGyRs comment and decided I'd just leave it for the rest of this week too, just because, even if not needed (*polishes halo*).

Tuesday: 60mins aquajog
    Done after work, and did all of 10x(30sec sprint, 30secs rec) straight through without taking any extra time in between. *whooofff*.
    With aquajogging you never look forward to it, or enjoy the time doing it either, but sometimes there's a little bit of satisfaction walking home with the belt under the arm and the session done.

Wednesday: 1500m freestyle
    Done after work as 6x50m, 6x100m, 200m, 100m, 300m. Nothing to report, not quite as comfortable as Monday but still fairly easy. Nothing timed.

Thursday: 26miles cycle
    The usual out and back along the coast, headwind on the way home.

Friday-Sunday: nothing
    Had done 4days in a row by now. Might have even been 5days as I had Aquajogging on the schedule for Friday but instead I jumped on a festival event to avoid it. Then travelled to Dublin and with loads and loads of family stuff on there was no chance to do anything, and it continued the same way for nearly a week. Just as well I'd got the 4days done at the start of the week....

weekly total: 4 cross-trainings (5.5 hours), 2 strengthenings :(

14th-20th August

Monday: walk/jog 6x(1.5jog/3.5walk)
    Day later than planned because of the family stuff. Walk/jog went well, slight feel that the ankle bone was different, but not niggling as such. Was happy with it afterwards but did a good bit of brisk walking in afternoon into town and around the shops dodging torrential rain, and towards the end of that could feel a bit of sensitivity rubbing the bone. Pretty sure it was the hard walking rather than the jogging, and by the next morning it was gone.

Tuesday-Wednesday: nothing
    Still in Dublin and loads going on and I never even made to Rathmines. Not sure whether it's my niece/nephew or my Aunt that are the more tiring :rolleyes: ... Started the strengthening a couple of times (had a couple of stone extra bodyweight for the planks) but never got going. Even the walk-jog pushed out from Wednesday.

Thursday: walk/jog 6x(2jog/3walk)
    Came back to Edinburgh and did the walk/jog round the neighbourhood loop in the evening. All fine. Absolutely knackered after the 5days though and that was to continue for a while.

Friday: 55mins aquajogging
    Usual session but I only did 5x(30secs sprint, 30secs rec) instead of 10, so slightly shorter. Was tired when I got back to the flat and no strengthening was done....

Saturday: 1100m freestyle, walk/jog 6x(2:45jog/2:15walk)
    Swim on the way to a wine-tasting before the pool closing at 5pm: 4x50m, 4x75m, 6x100m then the pool was shutting and I had to get out. Was at the wine-tasting till 10pm, home at 11pm and very tired and feeling a little bit queasy. Went outside and did the walk-jog to get some fresh air, but when I came back I was still not feeling great and it was a bit of mild food poisoning I *think*, no comments please. Not in shape for strengthening.

Was tired and skipped the planned cycle. But strengthening was done before bed!

weekly total: 3miles, 2 cross-trainings (1.5hours), 1-2 strengthenings

21st-27th August:

Monday: walk/jog 6x(3:20jog/1:40walk)
    Walk-jog done at lunchtime mostly on grass, stretching after. No niggles or twinges.

Tuesday: 55mins aquajog, strengthening
    Strengthening in the office mid-afternoon and this time I sweated a bit. Aquajogging after work, cut it slightly short and only did 7 sprints. It was hard (as usual).

Wednesday: walk/jog 6x(4jog/1walk), strengthening
    Properly tired this morning and during the day so skipped the planned swim. Rub-test of the fibula was clear this morning/today. Did the walk/jog on the meadows at 6pm in lovely weather, slight niggling on final run-section or two.
    Strengthening done at home!

Thursday: nothing
    Session with the physio and we progressed the exercises a bit. She says my form is pretty good. Have been thinking of walking the West Highland Way from 22nd September and she wouldn't commit to backing the idea (while not ruling against either). Discussed the pros and cons. Will not decide for sure yet but I'm less likely to do it I think....

Friday: 1300m freestyle
    Reluctant 12x50m followed by 7x100m freestyle and it was a slog. Was counting down to my minimum of 1200m all the way and managed to squeeze out one extra 100m.

Saturday: 45miles cycle, walk/jog 6x(4:20 jog, :40 walk)
    Cycle along the coast in gorgeous sunshine and went all the way to North Berwick today, less windy as usual (and still sunny) for the return leg. Bought a Twister at the 30mile point, then at 40miles dropped into a garage with the idea of testing the new horrible Lucozade ... looked same as always and tasted decent, when I got home I checked the bottle and Googled the details and it was the old version I had. They had plenty in the fridge and also some bigger bottles with the same glucose stats so might do a shorter cycle midweek and stock up.
    Went back out an hour later after having a little rest and went to the park to do the jog-walk. Mostly grass with just the 1st and 6th reps on hard surfaces. Went well with the ankle feeling good.

Sunday: strengthening
    Already done! (the new collection). Might have gone to the pool and not tired any more (after some big sleeps during the week), but tidying the flat instead.

weekly total: 6.5miles, 3 crosstrainings (6hours), 3 strengthenings

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reminder to donate to Mountain Rescue ;) did you donate to the long or short course?

Ah I'm not insane. Short of *course* and not even sure of making that but have 13 weeks so fingers crossed :)

Two more weeks of mostly cross-training (this is *not* a running-log) to continue the longest story in the history of minor injuries that hardly hurt but go on forever :rolleyes:

28th-3rd September:

Monday: 30mins run (2.89miles)
    First continuous running after lunch on the meadows, steady rather than fast because I was enjoying moving my legs again (10:30, 10:20, 10:19). One scary moment about 5mins in when I stumbled on a bit of uneven trail but I managed to keep myself upright and luckily it was the good leg doing the work to rescue. Did 3-4 mins walking to w/u and same to c/d walking too (not in the 2.89). Fibula seemed ok. But when rubbed the bone afterwards there was a good bit of sensitivity....

Tuesday: 60mins aquajog
    Less relucant than usual. Did all the sprints and only took 30secs extra rec after the 7th sprint, and only because the lifeguard took pity on my huffings and puffings decided to compliment me on my efforts. Deep pink face in the mirror afterwards as usual. It was after 9pm when I was leaving the pool and as black as night, bye summer.

Wednesday: 32mins run (3.05miles), strengthening
    Again on the meadows, and again I went a bit too "fast", and there was some slight response towards the end. Average pace 10:29. Did the strengthening!

Thursday: 60mins aquajogging
    Another willing aquajogging session and seemed to pass quicker than usual, though I might have had the effort slightly too easy on the tempo bits. The same lifeguard from Tuesday was there again and spoke to me after the 6th/7th sprint again, this time I kept it short and only used the usual 30secs rec. Am getting to know them too well in there ...

Friday: 1200m swim, 35mins run (3.42miles)
    Another 35mins bit-too-fast run on the meadows. Reluctant swim after work, 8x50m, 8x100m freestyle and didn't have the motivation for any more. It did cross my mind I could think I could be doing better things with my Friday night!
    The fibula sensitive to rub-test this eve :rolleyes:.

Saturday: 12miles cycle, strengthening, 50mins spin
    6miles cycle to volunteer at parkrun and the same on my way back. Bit of bonding on the injury front with one of the other volunteers. Did a "R.P.M." (spin) session in the afternoon and it was tough at times. Also confusing as the instructor had a strong Scottish accent and though I'm nearly fluent by now, it's different when there's music blasting and you're gasping to keep up. Sweated a lot.

Sunday: 30miles cycle
    There was to be a run today but due to the rub-sensitivity I pushed it out.
    Took a different route to the coast for once with the plan of cycling South to Roslin and back. Some nice cycle paths along the river along the way, and I got to about 1km of Rosslyn chapel (Da Vinci code)... had planned to go all the way to the chapel and visit their cafe but I don't know this route and I'd come down some steepish hills towards the end worrying about how I'd get back up them ... and then came to a steep uphill and decided to cut my losses. It turned out I was able to climb all the hills on the way back. Then as I continued back towards the city I realised that the tough outwards journey was because there'd been a slight uphill I'd never even noticed :) ... so I had an easy spin for most of the way back home. Being Sunday the small towns were quiet so had to wait to get my coffee and bacon till I was back in the city centre.

weekly total: 3 short runs (9.3miles), 5-6 cross-trainings (7.5 hours), 2 strengthenings
    A good week, except for the strengthening. And of course would prefer not to be rubbing my fibula all the time and deciding whether to back-off or not ....

4th-10th September:

Monday: nothing
    Too busy to go to the gym. Went out to do my run in the evening because the ankle had been ok today, but I thought I felt something in the early stages and came back. Was clear to the rub-test afterwards though, so not sure what I felt ...

Tuesday: 3miles easy
    Had booked myself in for "Skills and Drills" at the pool but cancelled it because of work. Went out for my run in the evening and did 3miles untimed without trouble, a bit easier pace than last week.

Wednesday: 40mins spin
    Did RPM again today and thought I noticed a bit of sensation on a couple of the "climbs" standing on the pedals and pushing....

Run not done, or anything else. Can't remember whether the leg was niggling or I was just fed up, probably both!

Friday: 2miles run
    Swim or aquajogging both dodged, same for the strengthening (for the 5th day in a row ...). Was doing the run on the neighbourhood loop, so the first continuous run on hard surfaces post-injury, so stuck to 2miles.

Saturday: 60mins aquajogging
    Finally htfu'd for this. The usual session and was happy to do it.

Sunday: 32miles cycle, 35mins run (3.1miles), strengthening
    An out-and-back along the coast in the early afternoon with a detour inland along the cycle paths to where I'd seen blackberries last weekend, had taken a tub with me so picked enough to make a crumble. Had gone out in nice weather with rain forecast for a few hours on, and I didn't make it all the way home ... it was *torrential*. Was still on the cycle path and there were quite a few dog-walkers who'd got caught in it, one couple had dressed for the weather in their GoreTex but their poor animal was bare and getting drenched :(. Also a guy in a mobility cart hiding under a tree, but he'd come out with his umbrella :pac:.
    Did the run later on in the evening round the neighbourhood loop. Also did the strengthening, kind-of, it's been so long I had to check my email to remind myself of the progression for the dynamic side-planks ...let's say no more.

weekly total: 3 short runs (8.1miles), 3 cross-trainings (5hours), 0.5 strengthenings
    A *very* bad week. Ashamed of the terrible strengthening performance. Not too happy with the cross-training either but at this stage I'm not sure how much longer I can keep it up.
    The running ... I run with the leg feeling ok, then after the run it's sensitive to rubbing, then after a day or so the sensitivity is gone and ready to go again the next day. Also even though it's sensitive to the rubbing and that's the test, if I spend a while on it, it seems to improve things?? (*tries-to-describe-carefully-to-avoid-sniggers*) Could type some more fascinating details of the sensitivity but will leave it.... It's a pain though and even though the runs are going all right, I don't feel I'm out of the woods, feel I will be watching it for weeks. Can understand now why people hate these stress injuries.

Seems that maybe I "anti-jinxed" myself with that last post, hoping this won't undo the magic. Have had no soreness to rubbing the bone this past week, even directly after the runs. So have managed to do three small runs, to make a whopping total of ....

weekly total: 11miles
    All done at a comfortable pace of around 11min/mile.

In every way this week was terrible. Work was busy and I came back to Dublin on Thursday, and loads of stuff to do here too. A bit stressful and have ignored the pumpkin seeds that I'd been eating for bone repair and focused on Tayto, skittles and coffee instead. Sleep lost with the travel and again on Saturday night sharing the bed with a 3year old toddler and 3month old kitten, getting kicked by the toddler and worrying I'd be scratched if I rolled the wrong way!

Not a scraping of cross-training done this week which is bad as the runs are too short/easy to count for anything. No strengthening either :o. Going to write the week off and cheer for Mayo and going off out for the evening, back to the routine from tomorrow I really hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Seems that maybe I "anti-jinxed" myself with that last post, hoping this won't undo the magic. Going to write the week off and cheer for Mayo and going off out for the evening, back to the routine from tomorrow I really hope!

oops! :D

glad to see you getting back into the running M... all the cross-training and swimming makes me feel guilty :p

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    oops! :D

glad to see you getting back into the running M... all the cross-training and swimming makes me feel guilty :p

Oh there is plenty of guilt here the past few weeks :o:o:o .... am trying to draw myself back onto the straight and narrow now!

18th-24th Sept:

Still in Dublin and took a rest day. There was probably a plan to go to the pool but it didn't happen.

Tuesday: 4miles+ untimed run
    Done after work on the trails of the meadows in the evening sunshine, lovely :). Little bit of soreness rubbing the fibula after.

Wednesday: 60mins aquajogging
    After work, straight though without any extra recovery on the sprints. Not sure I was working hard enough on the tempos.

Thursday: 4miles+ untimed run, strengthening
    Same run as Tuesday's, except a little bit later in the evening, it was getting dark towards the end. Did the strengthening before bed, and had to regress to earlier versions for dynamic side plank and dynamic bridge (because of the fortnight+ of no strengthening ...)

Was a bit late leaving work and bailed on all the plans for swimming, aquajogging ...

Saturday: 60mins aquajogging
    Usual session. Got to the pool just in time to squeeze this in before it shut, though I think technically it was 58 mins. Had to take 1min instead of 30secs after the 6th sprint, otherwise all done as per script.
    Had a jog-on-terra-firma on the schedule for today but never got to it, probably no harm given the niggling earlier in the week.

Sunday: 49mins easy (4.3miles @11:25 avg)
    First time run this week, nice and slow round the neighbourhood loop in the evening. Had twinges from the ankle a couple of times in the last 5mins, so need to keep my eye on that.

weekly total: 12.4miles as 3 runs, 2x60mins aquajoggings, 1 strengthening :(

Slightly better than the previous week, but plenty to be done ...

This is my favourite time of the year for running, wish I was free to do more interesting routes! Jealous of the DCM training going on round here.

25th September-1st October

Monday: *strengthening*
    At last! Embarrassing thinking back to the prevarications and the many interruptions but it was eventually done.

Tuesday: 4mile run (42mins+, @10:35 avg pace), strengthening
    Run after work on the grass of the meadows: it was lovely mild weather and there was a big group doing speed-training and I couldn't resist picking up the pace a bit. It *felt* fast. Came back to office with splashes on the inside calves :).
    Did the strengthening *again* to have an extra one in the bank in case of skipping later in the week, just as well.

Wednesday: 60mins aquajog
    Usual session late after work and worked hard on everything. Face was like a beetroot looking in the mirror after, and I felt tired walking home.

Thursday: 4.1miles run (45mins+ @11:04 pace)
    On the meadows again, same route as Tuesday, but I behaved better pace-wise today; was still tired from yesterday's aquajog anyway. Also cancelled a planned swim to make sure the strengthening would get done .... but it didn't.

Tired (I think). Bailed on my swim after getting to the pool ... and getting changed ... and wavering on the side for the pool for a few minutes, the reluctance was so strong. Got in and did two awful lengths and got back out again. Not sure whether I was really tired or this was all psychological.

Saturday: 40miles cycle, strengthening, 4.4miles run
    Out and back along the coast in the afternoon, lovely conditions for it and I was a little bit faster than usual. Was tired but forced myself to do the strengthening late at night before I could run. Was nearly midnight when I got out for the run for 4 neighbourhood loops @10:55 avg pace. Few bars of the music from "Rocky" as I passed a big group leaving a party :rolleyes:.

Might have swum today but am going to leave it and will do a 4th strengthening later on I hope. Long weekend coming up next week so the aim will be to do a few cross-trainings and strengthenings early in the week to have a buffer for the dossing (hurray!) at the weekend.

Have been feeling quite *proud* of the fibula this week, it has behaved pretty well.

weekly total: 2 cross-trainings (4.5hours), 3runs (12.5miles), 3 strengthenings (probably 4)

2nd-8th October

Monday: 47mins run (4.5miles @10:25 avg pace), strengthening
    3 and a half loops of the meadows without any niggling, mostly grass/trail. And strengthening done!

Tuesday: nothing
    Had a dinner out through work, and came back home with the slightest dose of food-poisoning after I think (hoping not the restaurant, the food was lovely). Anyway both aquajogging and strengthening were skipped.

Wednesday: 46mins+ run (4.6miles @10:03 avg pace), 60mins aquajogging
    Lunchtime run on the meadows and though the pace is picking up this didn't feel too fast. Mostly grass/trail. There was a bit of tenderness on the bone after but it was gone by evening. Aquajogging done after work, oooff, it was hard! 1min instead of 30secs after the 8th sprint. Getting off the bus at my stop afterwards I realised I longer had the Aquajogging belt.

Thursday: 45mins+ run pm (4miles, about 11:20 pace)
    The aquajogging belt ... thoughts of fate and all that stuff came to mind. But called the pool and they had it ... have still to pick it up at the time of writing this.
    Did the run on the meadows taking it easy and it was 4miles at about 11:20+ pace. Mostly grass/trail. Had made a first attempt at using Garmin connect earlier in the day and had managed to upset the data by clicking an executable file, history got deleted but apart from that it wasn't calculating any distance during the run (even though it could find the GPS signal ok). Had done this route before so took the distance from that. From Google searches it seems I probably corrupted the filespace of the Garmin.
    No strengthening done because I had stay up late to finish off a bit of work.

Travelling to Paris to get a last visit in before my brother moves back to Dublin. Nothing done.

Saturday: 53mins+ run (5.2miles @10:14 avg)
    We had originally been thinking of visiting one of the Paris parkruns but had changed our minds and decided to lie in instead. Left the run till early afternoon and then ran down to the local park. My brother damaged his knee two and half years ago and was told his "running days are over" at that time. He did what he was told but over the last few months he's been doing a parkrun every few weeks - without any other training apart from walking. We did three laps of park de Buttes-Chaumont at his request (I was planning two, and the run home), and then walked back to the flat. It was a bit hilly, first exposure to "hills" since returning from this injury. All hard surfaces too. Also a little bit longer than I'd planned. He did well, mostly kept up with me, had to stop to walk a little bit only a couple of times.
    We went out to the Museums for the "Nuit Blanche" and only came back at 2am, so guess what??? No strengthening :o.

(though we did walk many miles around Paris). We had been planning on an early night but we bumped into one of my brother's friends at dinner and ended up spending 3-4 hours in the pub debating the taxation systems of France/Ireland/etc, the housing crisis in Ireland, money supply in the economy, the refugees in tents round the outskirts of Paris, etc etc. The city of Romance! Was knackered and didn't do the strengthening when we got back after midnight.

weekly total: 60mins aquajogging, 18.3miles as 4 runs, 1 strengthening :(

9th-15th October

Monday: strengthening, 55mins+ run (5.4miles @10:17 avg)
    Got up late and fortunately had the flat to myself, did the strengthening before allowing myself out for a croissant.
    Did the run in Parc de Buttes-Chamont in the evening after coming back from Galeries Lafayette. All hard surfaces. Had been planning on a slightly shorter run by skipping the 3rd loop and running back to the flat instead ... but had an accidental detour on the way home and got up to 5.4miles. Had been using the "Strava App" on my phone for these Paris runs and suspect it is overestimating distance.

Tuesday: nothing
    Back to Edinburgh and to work, tired/lazy.

Tired/lazy.

Thursday: 47:30mins run (4.7 miles @10:07 avg pace)
    Mostly grass/trail. Garmin still bugged and unable to record distance, and was using the Strava app as backup - *definitely* over-estimating a bit as this was a meadows run identical to one of the two I did last week (so 4.6miles at a maximum).

Friday: strengthening, 49mins+ run (4.3miles, 11:25 avg pace)
    Finally sorted out the Garmin by reformatting it on the right computer, tested it out walking home and it measured the distance and pace and saved an entry into the History! Used the Garmin again to record 4 late-night neighbourhood loops. Had forced myself to do the strengthening before letting myself go out for the run :).

Saturday: 30miles+ cycle
    Out and back along the coast.

Sunday: 60mins+ run (5.6miles @10:50 avg pace)
    First time back in Holyrood Park since the injury (ie 4 months!) doing one loop of the circular road, and one circuit round the playing fields. About half grass and half hard surfaces. It was *beautiful* sunshiny weather and a perfect day for a run until I got up to the exposed sections - very serious wind effect for the higher sections of miles 2 and 3. Also I had taken my phone along to take a couple of photos and was terrified it'd get blown out of my hand. Leg did well though. Had chafing against the top of my left leg in the last mile or two, it's a pair of shorts I rarely wear.

weekly: 1 cycle (30miles), 20miles as 4runs, 2 strengthenings

Must Will do better on the strengthening. Also will dust off my swim-togs and collect my aquajogging belt.

Hope everyone is staying in from the storm!

October 16th -> now: cross-training, bits of strengthening, occasional jog

Same old story :o. Had started feeling some soreness in the ball of my left foot in that last week I logged, but not even enough to mention it in the writeup. Couple more runs the following week and it was feeling a bit "bony" and similar location to a stress fracture of the 2nd metatarsal a couple of years ago. I decided I'd come off it early for once, didn't even visit the physio this time, for bone stress the only thing they can do is say rest it anyway. Am sure that it was a early stress reaction from the feeling and then the behaviour during resting-and-rehabbing. Cause will have been that thing of (just a tiny teensy little bit of) too much too soon, Paris had hills and hard surfaces and new-trainers and a little mileage increase.

After the resting have been re-introducing running for the past month or so and am up around 4miles now but also still watching it. January and February will be very cautious increases, strengthening, 5-week weights class and cross-training alas. Have stuck myself on Strava and the jogs are there if not the swims or strengthenings or the aquajogging :rolleyes:. Not quite as much of that stuff going on as there should be but I have been doing a bit.

Goals and targets officially out the window for 2018 though of course secretly I have drawn up a detailed training outline for the year ... and revised it. We'll see. Either way the first few months are conservative.

Embarrassed by the broken-record nature of this post but at this stage I think probably no-one is reading the log for sessions or race reports. Will not be posting a yearly mileage chart though. Will stick another post up when/if I manage to race a parkrun.

Now back to the strengthening I've been avoiding for the past hour ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Recovering, getting strong and knocking an injury ridden 2017 are goals?

Really disappointed for you after such a difficult year injury wise. You're so dedicated to your training and you train so hard, it's not fair to see you knocked down just when you're building yourself back up again.

Keep logging, I enjoy hearing about your hill running and recovery.

Really hoping 2018 is a good year for you, you deserve it :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Recovering, getting strong and knocking an injury ridden 2017 are goals?

Really disappointed for you after such a difficult year injury wise. You're so dedicated to your training and you train so hard, it's not fair to see you knocked down just when you're building yourself back up again.

Well, not *always* so dedicated. And there is no getting up at 6am round here :pac:.

Getting stronger and knocking an injury ridden 2015-2017 is kind of a goal. Also, if that doesn't work and the injuries continue, to switch to other activities unfortunately. You have to learn sometime. My biomechanics aren't the best.

Good luck with all the long-distance for 2018. Very envious of all those miles!

Probably unwise to be tempting fate by adding a log entry, but am on the ferry with working internet and a few hours to kill so I'll throw caution to the wind. Am back running a bit since December and am knocking on the door of 21miles for this week assuming I don't re-injure before tomorrow.

Summary below but overall it's kind of "more of the usual".

1st-7th Jan: 10.4miles as two runs, 1 bodyweight strengthening
    Would have been more than two runs only I had the leftovers of a cold. Was still in Dublin at the start of this week and was getting lectures from all and sundry about running with a cold, so had to rein it in. Second run was 5.7miles round Holyrood Park after I got back to Edinburgh, picked up the effort a bit for that. Cannot remember a reason for the bad strengthening.

8th-14th Jan: 13.3 miles as three runs, 1 bike (30miles), 2 bodyweight strengthenings
    Finally forced myself to get back to doing some cross-training (slipped entirely over the run up to Christmas and I hadn't started again).
    Gripped by the Spine Race this week and thoughts turning to Pennine Way, long-distance walking, marathons, adventure races ... none of these realistic for the time being, but I did feel that if those people could spend days and nights running through blizzards and wind and rain with blisters on their feet, then I could raise the strength to do the bodyweight strengthening three times a week. That feeling did not last ....

15th-21st Jan: 14.6miles as three runs, 1 bodyweight strengthening
    Being very careful with the mileage increases, partly because the foot had still been niggling. Strengthening no better and I noticed that I had gone backwards a bit after the few lazy weeks.

22nd-28th Jan: 12.4miles as three runs, 1 swim (1200m freestyle), 1 weights class, 2 strengthenings
    Started the first in a series of 5 "ladies lifting" classes :rolleyes: on Wednesday and got my introduction to squats and bench press with 20 others. Squats not too bad but I disgraced myself on the bench press even compared to the other 'ladies' having been months since I did any press-ups; they were in my back exercises set, but not in current bodyweight strengthenings ... have added them back in now. Want to continue the weight-training 1day a week to help strengthen against injury, so quite motivated to learn how to use all the equipment. There was niggling from the foot the day after the weights, so I cut Thursday's run short and weekly "mileage" was reduced. The niggling was gone again the following day. Finally made my way back to a swimming pool after two months's absence, wasn't as bad as I expected.

29th Jan- 4th Feb: 18miles as 4 runs, 1 swim (~1000m in a 25yds pool), 1 weights class, 2.5 bodyweight strengthenings
    Bit better this week, did 4runs for the first time, longest one 6.3miles and felt like a fair effort given the general unfitness.

5th-11th Feb: 19miles as 4 runs, 1 weights class, 1 bodyweight strengthening
    Had family arriving to visit on Sunday and between the flat-cleaning, and work being busy, and troubles with my letting agency over past weeks, generally a bit frantic and I took my eye off the strengthening. At weight-training we have now worked through the classic exercises of weighted squats, bench press, deadlift, shoulder press and bent-over row (with bar, but not a lot of weight on either side!). My bench press still disgraceful.... We tied up huge elastic bands to do supported chin-ups this week and it was a bit of fun, and I wasn't the dunce of the class for that which was nice.
    Run mileage increasing gradually, this week's LSR was 6.7 miles, and it was a bit of an effort being honest.

12th-18th Feb: 21miles as 4 runs (when tomorrow's run is done), 1 weights class, strengthening ... TBC
    Three runs already done this, and they came in a bit faster, with two at sub-10min pace. Focus right now is on increasing mileage but still it is nice to see a bit of improvement in pace too. Planning 7.5miles for tomorrow.

Plans going forward are to increase the mileage, but very gradually. Am loving the "training to train" thread but won't be able to increase at the same rate as others. Have had niggling of the metatarsal for most of the above weeks this year, except each time the niggling is less, and eases more quickly each time. Hardly anything this/last week fortunately. Right now have a slight 'pinch in bum' which I associate with the disc problem I had in 2016, but it's very light, will keep an eye.

Am going to take up strengthening for lent (*calls to mind the Spine Race competitors*). Other plan is to increase the cross-training again ... to help improve endurance without stressing my poor biomechanics with extra running. It looks like I am going to have some extra free days over the upcoming month so I will try to get a long-cycle or hike in each week which I think would help a lot. And Easter weekend a weekend of mountains again this year.

The base-building plan has been polished and refined many times, right now the upcoming months look like below (there are other secret plans for later months :rolleyes:, but I'll see how this goes first ...)

February: 19mpw avg (longest week 21.5miles, longest LSR 7.5). Some strides and hills.

March: 22mpw avg (longest week 25miles, longest LSR 8.5). Strides, hills, little bits of tempo or fartlek. Will do a parkrun test at some point.

April: 26mpw avg (longest week 28miles, longest LSR 9.5). Strides, little bits of tempo/fartlek, increased hill.

Ah yes, am so wise/jaded that I have cut-back weeks in the plan every 4-5 weeks. The first one is next week, when I'll drop back down to 16 miles :rolleyes:.

I know what you mean with the log update *touches wood*. We will both soon find out if that is in fact the cause of our running woes :D. Luckily there's strava ;).

Welcome back!

I know what you mean with the log update *touches wood*.

It was quite freeing not to have to be reporting on the plodding&niggling over the past couple of months. Not to mention the boards community spared the merry-go-round of twinges and niggling and backing-off and strengthening-angst which has been seen once or twice before on this log.

Finges crossed for both of us :). Careful now!

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed indeed, delighted to see you back on the road and doing it incredibly sensibly.

We all have our fingers crossed for you :) The Spine was epic wasn't it - just incredible the punishment those guys and gals put themselves through.

The Spine was epic wasn't it - just incredible the punishment those guys and gals put themselves through.

They are lunatics! (in the best way). I should play the soundtrack music during my strengthening :pac:.

Have been looking at some other logs, so might as well put in my own update. Positives and negatives for the past few weeks, running has gone to plan but strengthening has been poor, and I am watching a disc-y twinge over the past week ...

19th-25th Feb: 16.8miles running, 1 weights class, 1 strength

This was a cutback week, 16miles the plan, and I more or less stuck to it. It was the week I noticed the pace start to come back into the legs, with comfortable runs close to 10 min miles.

Mon: *strengthening*
    Tues: 4.1miles run (10:11 avg)
    Wed: 3.3miles incl 2 100m strides (10:03 avg), "ladies lifting" class
    Run done on the trails in the afternoon.
    Had my final "ladies lifting" class in the evening, we added circuits with dumbbells for 4 rounds of (10xDBpress, 10xDBrow each side, 10xDBlunge alternate sides, 40secs plank), this was very enjoyable and I'll like doing these again. Also got a suggested 3-day training schedule and will try it but will arrange to fit it as 2-days. Having written all that I am yet to make it back to the weights room.
    Thurs: nothing
    Too busy at work for aquajogging or strengthening.
    Fri: nothing
    Too tired this eve (two late nights/reduced sleep for work) for run or strengthening.
    Sat: 4.1miles @10:15 avg
    Had hopes of doing a hike over the border in Montane Spine territory today, but cancelled because of tiredness. Didn't exit bed till past 11am, knackered. Run done as the scenic route to John Lewis to buy a 50th birthday present for a party tonight.
    Sun: 5.3miles with 2miles fartlek (sub-10 avg overall)
    Reluctant run in the cold, but I went round the neighbourhood loop to do 1mile easy, 1mile fartlek (8:30), 1mile easy, 1mile fartlek (8:57), 1-and-bit mile easy. Was happy with the paces.

26th-4th Mar: 22.7miles running, 1 hike

A strange week what with the snow, but also supposed to be striking at work first three days of the week (but not saving much time really as doing extra on the weekends to prepare to go strike :rolleyes:). A weird time, and it continues.... Anyway I got all of the planned running done, only change to my plan was that I took the "tempo" bit out of Thursday's run as didn't seem safe to do it on compacted snow. Few compliments about my toughness on doing the running in snow which of course I appreciate!

Mon: nothing
    As planned (well, expect strengthening had been planned)
    Tues: 8miles hike, 4.5miles easy-ish (10min/mile-ish)
    Used one of my strike days for a hike in the Pentlands before the bad weather hit. Had planned well for this, and knew that visibility and wind were going to be good up to mid-afternoon, so took the bus out and did 8miles over some medium hills (about 500m each). Got some beautiful photos with nice combinations of sun and cloud, and got down to the road for the walk-back with good conditions. It was getting colder on the walk-back along the road and the wind was more icy, couple of inches of snow lying at this point.
    Did the run straight after getting back into town before the bits of snow could ice-over. 4-and-a-bit neighbourhood loops and I had metatarsal soreness for the last 1.5, would have been 5-and-a-bit miles otherwise. Had felt something minor on the hills earlier, and maybe after Sundays fartlek.
    Wed: nothing
    As planned. And with the same proviso as Monday. Spent a good bit of time indoors hiding from the snow and bitter cold.
    Thurs: 5.5miles not-all-that-easy (11:05 avg pace)
    Went out during a break in the snow around lunchtime and did a loop of Holyrood and a loop of the playing fields. Quite a lot of people out sledging or enjoying the weather, also a few people on skis. There had been enough people on the paths and trails to make the snow a bit compact, but still dry and crunchy. Apart from some bitter wind in the second half it was enjoyable.
    Fri: 5miles not-all-that-easy (10:28 avg)
    Did this one on the compressed snow of the meadows trails, and had come from the office so had my trail runners. Ground was a bit lumpy, with some sludgy bits and I was happy to hop out onto clear tarmac for a few short stretches. Found it difficult though, had a strong desire to stop at the 3mile point and had to force myself on.
    Sat: nothing
    Sun: 7.65miles LSR (10:26 avg)
    Enjoyable mixed-terrain run in rain with slush, padded-snow, some tarmac. Had really not been keen to head out but within half a mile I was enjoying it, and could have continued further. Holyrood loop with a couple of anti-clockwise meadows circuits added on.

Think it was some time on the weekend that I started to feel the disc-related glute-pinch increase a bit. Just after quietening the stress reaction, *sigh*.

5th-11th Mar: 25.4miles, 1 strength

Snow gone! So running is easier anyway. Main feature of this week was watching the glute pinch; the niggle developed to include some shin-twinges towards the end of this week, but only occasional faint twinges. It does mar the pleasure of the 25miles a bit though.

Mon: nothing
    Tues: 5.2miles with 2miles @tempo (8:47, 8:33), strengthening
    Had gone to a winter running talk this evening, so only did the run when I got home from that. Not likely to skip it after sitting through tales of 7day ultras and bear escapes. Did the run round the neighbourhood loop, 1.5 miles easy, then the fast 2 miles, then 1.7 easy, all on neighbourhood loop. Happy to see the miles come in at the paces they did but to be honest it was probably faster than current tempo pace whatever that is. Especially as I was pretty tired for the couple of following days....
    Strengthening was done as a mix of half-during-day, half before bed, knew I wouldn't do it if I left it all till late.
    Wed: 2.5miles easy (10:52)
    Very tired this morning. Just an easy run for mileage sake, this being the first 5-day week. Noticed the pinch in bum today having increased from last week, with maaaaybe slight shin twinge tonight :(.
    Thurs: 5.1miles incl 4x100m strides (10:06 avg overall)
    Very tired again this morning, slept in, had about 10hours sleep. Think still an overhang from Tuesday's hard run. Run was an easy flat loop.
    Fri: nothing
    Sat: 4miles @10:15 avg
    Overslept to 11am today, destroyed (Friday was a non-strike day so had zillions of things to catch up on). Late evening run done in the wet as a scenic route to the supermarket; skipped the planned strides in case they'd affect the disc.
    Sun: 8.5miles hilly (10:39 avg pace)
    Hilly-ish run including a loop of Holyrood park and also an inner trail through Holyrood and back round again. Had to put in a bit of effort on the uphills, but otherwise this was quite comfortable. It was mucky on the trails and grass and the trail shoes that got washed in the snow last week are black again.

The main defect of the previous weeks is the poor strengthening and lack of cross-training. Have not managed to get to the pool yet, truly the striking is not all it's cracked up to be....

So where from here?

Plan for this week was 23miles with a raced parkrun on Patrick's day to see where I am. I didn't do yesterday's run because I put it off till after dark and couldn't push myself out the door after that. Disc is a bit better yesterday/today. So I'll plan to get the 23miles done this week, and see how things are before racing Saturday.

Then I have to decide what to do with the rest of my year. Had it on my mind to bring the mileage up gradually over the next few months to do the "Seven Hills" race here in June and then the DCM in October. But I am not sure that's wise as I think 14.5miles with hills might be too much to build for in 3 months. Especially as I want to bring a swim and a bike/hike back into most weeks training. And the weights! Also can't help but notice that if I had 25-30 miles per week on a consistent basis I'd have better annual mileage than ever before. So I think I won't be signing up for the Seven Hills. Not going to rule out DCM just yet though it's unlikely I'll have the base for it.

Also can't help but notice that if I had 25-30 miles per week on a consistent basis I'd have better annual mileage than ever before. So I think I won't be signing up for the Seven Hills. Not going to rule out DCM just yet though it's unlikely I'll have the base for it.

Hmmmm, not sure it's a great idea to go down the road of chasing miles too quickly to beat some random target :) You're going well enough for now, slowly slowly! Have fingers crossed to make the start line of DCM this year though!

Hmmmm, not sure it's a great idea to go down the road of chasing miles too quickly to beat some random target :) You're going well enough for now, slowly slowly! Have fingers crossed to make the start line of DCM this year though!

Hey, I was saying the opposite! Have 25.4miles last week and have been conservatively building (the reason week 1 of those three was 16 was because it was a cutback). In sticking at 25-30 I'm saying only very incremental increase for the time being ... (and no 7 Hills which would require more)

Hey, I was saying the opposite! Have 25.4miles last week and have been conservatively building (the reason week 1 of those three was 16 was because it was a cutback). In sticking at 25-30 I'm saying only very incremental increase for the time being ... (and no 7 Hills which would require more)

Ah yes sorry, I was thinking you wanted to increase to 25-30 but of course you're already there :o.

Let's do the weekly update and no one is allowed to comment about the strengthening. Has been a stressful week. Also saw the weather forecast worsening so I decided it was best to postpone the parkrun trial to a better weekend. So did an LSR this week after all.

Monday, Tuesday: nothing
    Monday was planned rest, Tuesday laziness.

Wednesday: 6.1miles easy @9:48 avg, 5x100m strides in final 1.5miles
    "Get some miles in run" done in the evening. It was just a bit too late to head to park for the planned hills, just did an easy coastal loop. I was coming along the coast road half way through and a rabbit dashed down the deep verge away from the road :) bit later another smaller one at the top of the verge near my feet - probably a junior who hasn't learnt the dangers yet! I didn't have my camera unfortunately.

Too lazy and pissed-off to do anything.

Friday: 6.5miles easy @9:32 avg
    Late evening run after dithering all afternoon, again too close to the sunset to head towards park and hills (surprise surprise). Same coastal loop as Wednesday without the strides, like Wednesday this faster pace was pretty comfortable, so I think I'm hitting that stage when the few months of running is bringing the pace back.

Saturday: 1150m freestyle, 4miles easy (10:04 avg), strengthening
    Went to the pool to get the swim done before the 6nations match, 16x50m, 4x75m, then a final 50m which should have been 100m but I was flailing a bit at this point and wanting to get back home to the match so left it.
    Run was done later that day in bitter cold wind.

The bum-pinch from my disc, and the referring into leg, had improved a good bit this week. But about half-way through my swim I started feeling the pinch as I moved, something I used to notice when I had the serious flare-up two years back. I finished the swim anyway (first time in a month and I was glad to be getting some cross-training done at last), but I noticed the sciatica back in my shin later in the day. Things were better this morning and felt nothing on today's 9 miles, so I think this confirms swimming is one of the biggest aggravators for the disc. Will wait till the symptoms are totally quiet before I return to the pool, will probably only be a week or two to wait.

Sunday: 9miles LSR @10:32 avg pace
    Snow had fallen but it wasn't deep and the paths were mostly clear from snow or slush. Did this as two loops round Holyrood park with a bit extra added on, some grass/trail/snow and rest hard surfaces. Wind was bitter. Was tough on the uphills with headwind, and I did a few 10sec stops at the really hard places. Also took a tumble on the slippy muck/snow half way through and landed on the hip of the bad-disc ... didn't hurt and also had no sciatica throughout the run, so a little fall is no bother :). Character-building I think is what you call these runs, glad it's done!

weekly total: 25.7miles as 4 runs (9mile LSR), 1 strength, 1swim (1150m freestyle)

Going to plan to do the parkrun next weekend so I'll be aiming for 23miles including time-trial unless the forecast changes.

19th-25th March: Parkrun done! By comparison with this time last year when training paces but I ran faster, I hoped I would come in under 25min and I didn't. But never mind, all the more to be shaved off ...

As planned.

Tuesday: 5.1 miles w 1mile fartlek (8:26), strengthening
    Flat coastal loop with 3rd mile done as fartlek and the other miles easy. Worked hard in the fartlek mile and got 8:26 avg pace, then the 2miles were a bit heavy-legged.
    Strengthening was done.

Too lazy for *any*thing.

Thursday: 6.2 easy miles at 10:08 avg pace
    Easy run done on the grass and trails of the meadows, deliberately easy as was planning the parkrun.

Except a pub trip after work (badly needed in these stressful times). No major consumption, just a few extra carbs for the morning's race.

Saturday: 2x6miles cycle, parkrun in 25:28, 3miles easy (10:21)
    Managed to push myself out of the bed in just enough time for parkrun but on the cycle over I discovered one of the cycle paths was closed off and I had to take a deviation. Don't know this patch of town well and there was 5-10 mins of cautious turns and queries before I came back onto to my known route; was then very aware that time was tight, and ended up pushing "hard" to get there on time. Was cycling down the promenade towards the pack of runners and I could hear the announcements starting, had to park the bike so stuck it behind a park bench, didn't wait for the one closest to the runners as I was worried about getting mown over. Locked the bike quick, threw off my jacket and tied my scrunchie, then I started running towards the pack, very wobbly slow legs from the bike.... I didn't quite make it as the whistle went when I was still about 20-25m from the line, so ran towards the frontrunners and then turned round when I was about to bump into them :o, then ran my race. I am guessing I lost a few metres off the 5k as they're faster so we won't have met midway, but I'll have lost time turning round as well, anyway not going to lose any sleep over a few metres.
    Only started my Garmin after turning and started working as well as my legs could, and with a consistent effort got the first mile in as 8:00 on the watch. The sun was beating down and I had to open my jacket to cool myself down. 2nd good mile, working hard, to get it just below 8mins.... then at the start of mile 3 things were more difficult. I think I backed off a bit in the first half of mile 3 when I knew I wouldn't get sub-25 but to be honest I probably would have been in danger of walking otherwise and managed to pick it up a bit in the second half for 8:14 on the watch, then a slightly quicker .12. Did feel a bit sick after stopping, so I probably worked hard enough. Official time was a bit slower than my watch at 25:28.
    Had been planning to get in 3 other miles after (well really it was to be 1mile w/u, 2 c/d) but was in no mood afterwards, and did it later that evening from the flat.

Sunday: 6.2miles not-that-easy @10:23 avg pace
    Still feeling tired so took the easy option of a flat Coastal loop and a neighbourhood loop to add distance. Not that easy in fact.

weekly total: 23.6miles as 4runs, short cycle, 1-2 strengthenings

Things have been going fairly well over past weeks and I'd been thinking of changing my mind and secretly registering for the Seven hills race despite initial wise and sensible pronouncements. But the parkrun took more effort/recovery than expected so I'm fully behind the sensible build again. Would be a lovely thing to succeed with a few months of 25+mile weeks while avoiding injury. I probably shouldn't type that ...

Next week is a cutback on the running, but there should a few mountains in there instead :).

Fingers crossed, touch wood and all that ....... things are looking good. Looking forward to your update on the mountains :)

p.s. I'm heading to Glasgow at the end of April to do the Highland Fling along the Highland Way from Tyndrum down to Glasgow, have you done any of it before?

• Advertisement

p.s. I'm heading to Glasgow at the end of April to do the Highland Fling along the Highland Way from Tyndrum down to Glasgow, have you done any of it before?

Oh, lucky you! Have yet to even walk the WHW but I sometimes see the Highland Fling on people's facebooks.

Do you need any crew support? :)

Advertisement