Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving on up ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

The real miracle would be if you *wanted* to do them!

Haahaa very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Hope you get the niggles ironed out before your ten week block starts HSR.
    and then I'm looking at 10 weeks of "hillified" base building. Have got a race to train for.

This sounds interesting, any more details on the race you're going to target?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Neady83 wrote: »
    Hope you get the niggles ironed out before your ten week block starts HSR.

Ah, you're very wise ....

Just did a little bit of foot-rolling with the hockey ball. And will do the stair drops later. And I promise I'll skip the parkrun next weekend unless everything is perfect.

The main niggle is occasional posterior tib tightness. Had real trouble with it twice 2-3 years ago, and the odd bit of niggling in the last year. Am able to manage it and most of last weekend's tightness was not post.tib. related, was mostly tightness on upper-outside of the calves (aren't you glad you asked...). Not ideal to have cycled 30miles after racing parkrun, too big an effort for the legs (of some of us!).
    This sounds interesting, any more details on the race you're going to target?

This one:
    http://www.seven-hills.org.uk

Did a training block for it in 2015 but was scuppered by a ribs problem 1 week before the event. Think you're more recent on boards so you may have escaped all the recces I did back then ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

This one:

Did a training block for it in 2015 but was scuppered by a ribs problem 1 week before the event. Think you're more recent on boards so you may have escaped all the recces I did back then ...

Oooh exciting. All that groundwork in 2015 won't go to waste; some super recce-ing went on then that'll stand to you this year.

It's on my bucket list!

This one:

That looks like unadulterated hard fun :) Really looking forward to watching your progress towards this.

With that much elevation (and down hill), make sure you build some good strength and conditioning into the ten week block - a strong core will really help with the hills.

• Advertisement

That looks like unadulterated hard fun :) Really looking forward to watching your progress towards this.

'Tis puny fun compared to your own efforts! I am looking forward to it both for the race and the improved fitness.
    With that much elevation (and down hill), make sure you build some good strength and conditioning into the ten week block - a strong core will really help with the hills.

To be honest core is only thing I do take care of, as the back exercises are nearly all core. There have been a couple of bad weeks recently but usually I am doing them fairly regularly. Also have a batch of more dynamic strengthening to start over the next week or two. Must write it all out on the log sometime ...
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Oooh exciting. All that groundwork in 2015 won't go to waste; some super recce-ing went on then that'll stand to you this year.

It's on my bucket list!

Glad you're not doing it this year or I'd be left in the dust! That's true about the recces, I am planning to mix up the hills a bit more this time round and just stick with a couple of routes on the course itself.

Monday 27th: nothing
    As planned.

Tuesday 28th: 55mins+ easy (5miles @11:07 avg)
    Post-work run from my flat thanks to daylight-saving-time, round and round the playing fields as the light went dim.

Wednesday 29th: nothing
    Got myself busy with work and dropped the planned run (the planned swim was already dropped from morning).

Thursday 30th: 15 min w/u, 12x45 secs @ 5k (1 rec), 15 min c/d (5.07miles total)
    A random session from the Grads plan thrown into this last week before I switch to base-building. Did this from the office on the meadows, but in bright daylight for a change. 8:00 or so is my current 5k pace and I was able to do all the intervals below that, average of 7:45-7:50 or so I think (well there was was one that came in at 8:02 but it involved a turn at the corner of the park), and jog the recoveries without being too tired. Could have definitely done a few more reps. Was able to stick to the trails even for the intervals because of the recent good weather and the daylight. Anyway really enjoyed this session and will miss this kind of thing over the upcoming months of base building.
    The calf was a tiny bit sensitive at the end, but a batch of calf stretches after sorted it out fine.

Friday 31st: 45mins easy (4.11miles @10:57 avg)
    Just under 4laps of the neighborhood after work and before dinner. At this stage still had the idea of parkrun in the back of my head, especially after the calf held up so well to the intervals yesterday. But in the first mile or so of this run could feel a little bit of sensitivity in the lower inside. Was nothing to worry about I don't think but no need to dance the tightrope between injury and fitness, so parkrun off the schedule. Was quite happy to have the lie-in next morning :).

Saturday 1st: 45mins- easy (4.15miles @10:46)
    Afternoon run in the sunshine in the lower trails of Holyrood, nearly 3miles on grass/trail. It was about 12-13C and sunny so there were people lying on the lower slopes taking in the sunshine as I came past, though they mostly had their jackets on :pac:. Harder than easy maybe at some points.

Sunday 2nd: 94mins+ easy (8.66miles @10:55 avg pace)
    In Holyrood before sunset. Did most of a clockwise loop on the road, then I took a deviation through the interior on a trail with a steeper incline, then anti-clockwise on the road to come back down, and an out and back to make up distance. Achilles/lower-inside calf were a bit sensitive in the last two miles. Only niggle-level though, and I suspect the reason was skipping stretching after yesterday's run.

weekly total: 27miles as 5runs

Happy with the weekly mileage, but am disappointed I didn't get to the pool. Can't imagine what my swimming will be like after all the time away.

exercises and niggles:
    Stretching done 3-and-a-bit/5 (skipped on Friday and Saturday, but I did the calves on Friday)
    Back exercises 4days/7 (yes I know it's not 5 but at least I'm getting back into it)
    Stair drops 3day/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Nice week, HSR, and great to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Strolling through Greystones yesterday:

413643.jpg

nop98 wrote: »
    Strolling through Greystones yesterday:

:). My street is not actually Hillside anything (though there's few Hillside Xs close by) but the whole neighborhood is called Hillside.

If I ever move back to Dublin I know where to search.

• Advertisement

If I ever move back to Dublin I know where to search.

Or *not* as the case may be. Just took a look at Greystones on daft!

Still in the office doing a bit of work and waiting for the 7hills to go on sale. Realised another month has finished and this time it's not horrific, so finally I can bear to start the 2017 column:

Month|2013|2014|2015|2016|2017
    January|55|85|70|49|29
    February|69|9|96|30|44
    March|53|57|134|61|98
    April|85|61|85|40
    May|65|71|145|26
    June|51|43|89|7
    July|25|99 |79|76
    August|84|120|26.5|97
    September|18|131|0|85
    October|83|0|15|95
    November|78|3|62.5|103
    December|53|56|86|111
    Total|719|735|888|780|171

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

:). My street is not actually Hillside anything (though there's few Hillside Xs close by) but the whole neighborhood is called Hillside.

Huh. Here's me thinking I was being original :rolleyes:

nop98 wrote: »
    Huh. Here's me thinking I was being original :rolleyes:

I'm the one who is unoriginal christening myself after my neighbourhood!

Hills registration done :).

On the train for the final leg of the journey back to Edinburgh and the Scotrail wifi is *working* would you believe it; so here's the notes. Ok week running-wise, appalling strength/exercise-wise ... and pretty bad for workload impinging on life and wellbeing.

Monday 3rd: nothing
    As planned.

Tuesday 4th: 68mins or so hill "running" (5.1miles)
    I guess this is the start of the hill training. I want to do at least one of the longer midweek runs on hills each week during this base-building phase, today was the day. Went into Holyrood Park to try climbing some of the other (not A's seat) hills, with a loose plan but no details. Started a clockwise loop of the road and soon enough I saw a decent route (all grass of course) going up to Whinny hill. This uphill was a bit of a shock to the system after so many months on the flat, had to stop twice for 4-5 steps on the main stretch upwards (*despite* the fact I was keeping my steps tiny and going slow). Took in a lower mini-summit before the final stretch, and then did the final climb, stopped again for a few some steps :o.
    Very very windy up high this evening. After Whinny hill the aim was to run southwards along the top, and then descend into the interior of Holyrood to go across and up the other side. But couldn't find a way down and ended up back at Whinny hill, trying various options ... narrow trails, very steep grassy descent through gorse (and back when I'd get stuck), all the time watching for rabbit potholes. Lots of wind. After a lot of trial and error found a way back down to lower on the road where I came back. Came past the bottom Loch on the road and ran into the interior from there and then went across to the other side following a (grass) dual carriageway leading up just behind the Salisbury crags. This is a decent climb but more gradual, so didn't have to stop at all on this. Was looking across to the opposite side from time to time and the drop from W hill has many steep rock-sections embedded into the side, should have run much further South before it's possible to descend. Will know for the next time.
    Turned around at 45mins and ran down and back home with a little detour to Sainsburys. Very friendly atmosphere in the park at this hour of the evening, more hellos than usual from runners and cyclists alike. Keep seeing lots of runners on the pavements in the evenings too, in the lead up to the marathon.
    *Mad* paces on the watch, but that's the nature of this kind of running.

Wednesday 5th: 4.5miles
    4-and-a-bit neighbourhood loops in late evening, didn't bother timing it (oh how times have changed ...). Was a late-night package of run+food as a "treat" after a busy day at work (*scowl*). Noticed that a muscle at the side of my thigh/quad was very tight, no doubt the hills yesterday. But it was gone after a few days.

Thursday 6th: nothing
    The scenic route back to Dublin because of trying to reduce CO2 (*whooof*). Had brought some work to do along the way, and did get some done, but was also knackered after the day before, and the early start ... was too knackered/busy to run when I'd arrived into Dublin. Jury still out on whether this route will be effective/feasible in future, was tired and cross already before starting the journey so may do better the next time.

Friday 7th: 5.5 miles easy (10:38 avg), then 5x100m strides (5.8miles total)
    In Dublin through Kimmage, Fortfield Road, Dodder, up to Braemor, left at Mount C, back through Rathgar. Comfortable at this quicker pace (despite being knackered after 6hours sleep) and took a bit longer route than planned.

Saturday 8th: 33mins (probably 3miles)
    Had a big family event this lunchtime but had an errand to run in Rathmines in the morning so took the long-way there, and then ran back. Garmin being mad so don't know the exact distance.

Sunday 9th: nothing
    Had the LSR in here and planned to do it late afternoon after (another!) family gettogether but some of the work had travelled and needed attention, and *still* hadn't caught up on sleep .. knew I'd never do any of the work if I ran, so I left it (and didn't do much anyway).

Monday 10th: 89mins (8.2miles @10:51 avg)
    The "bumped-forward" run enters the log again (after so long keeping things neat and tidy). Planned to do this early am so it'd *nearly* be Sunday ... but of course a little bit of work *still* had to be done. Anyway this morning I did finish it, then raced to lunch date, then back to base and out to do as much as I could before heading to the airport. Had to cut the 105mins short and didn't cut it short enough - very nearly missed my flight and only caught it by the skin of my teeth. Horrible feeling to pile on top of the stressed and knackered mood.

strengthening and stretching:
    :( Not going to write this bit. There was some stretching and some stair drops.

weekly total: 26.6miles
    Was meant to be up over 27miles but only a bit short in fact.

Plans for next week are a bit different as I've been concocting a plan to disconnect myself from email :). Unfortunately nothing booked yet as never got the time, but that's on the list for tomorrow and let's hope I haven't left it too late.

8hours tonight first.

week of 11th-17th April

Tuesday: nothing
    *yawn*. Did have a run on the plan but skipped it.

Wednesday: 8miles hill run (106mins, 13:15 avg pace!!)
    Run done after work in Holyrood, up Whinny Hill (even more walking than last time :o), but got my directions right this time and travelled south after hitting the top. Did get tempted by one narrow track through the gorse, but it was too steep and on stones, so came back to take the grass track until I could turn around and descend into the interior. The descent was running along W hill and from time-to-time I could see significant trails coming right down to my route .. so some of those narrow paths do end up in the right place it seems.
    Ran back to near the Loch, into the interior, across to climb up behind Salisbury crags. Slightly different this time, and ended up at the high point near the edge where you can see all over park and city. Continued on south-and-down-wards to the junction with the route up to Arthurs seat, then turned left and went back the direction I'd come from on a lower clay trail. After that went over to Radical Road to do an "Radical Road loop" ... paced the uphill right and didn't have to walk here. A lap and a half of the playing fields to finish, surprised to see the pace was pretty slow even on this, then home.
    Wildlife sightings: interrupted a bunny rabbit when I was attempting the narrow trail, saw his fluffy bum scurrying down through the gorse. Also my feet came very close to a grouse or female pheasant when taking the trails up towards Salisbury Crags :).

Thursday: nothing
    Had come back to Edinburgh on Monday night with plans to walk the West Highland Way over 5days during the Easter weekend. Had been "planning" this for weeks, but with work being busy hadn't got round to organising anything. Had done some investigations on Tuesday and Wednesday and had secured a hostel in Balmaha for the first night (Good Friday) and a B&B in Kinlochleven for the final night (Easter Monday). But hadn't realised how small the in-between "towns" were (Inverarnan and Bridge of Orchy) and for those the only option left at this late-stage was my tent. *yikes*. Had secured a winter sleeping bag but was watching with trepidation as the weather forecast for Saturday and Sunday got worse ...
    Checked my gmail on Wednesday night and there was an email from a hillwalking group I sometimes walk with offering a spare place in a hostel (hotel!! it turned out) near Glencoe for the long weekend. So jumped on that as an alternative. Only disadvantage was that I had to leave on Thursday evening rather than Friday, so was a frantic race out of the office before 5, packing in 20mins, and then rushing to catch my lift. The run had to be shelved.

Friday: 9mile hillwalk with about 1000m ascent, 3.1miles easy run
    6-7hours hillwalk on hills near Loch Shiel. We were taking in two Corbetts (hills between 2,500 and 3,000 feet) with a smaller peak along the way: Corbetts being Sgurr Ghiubhsachain and Sgurr Craobh a' Chaorainn. Group of 6 for our walk (a 7th had bailed after the first 100m of climbing) and after a slowish start on the walk-in I was happy to be mid-pack for the uphill climbs. These were stony peaks so we had a good bit of scrambling near the summits. Two thoughts on the first ascent: Have not been hillwalking in a year, it's a good thing I have base fitness from the running, and later My God, running is nothing compared to this ..... Was good weather with good company and mostly enjoyable, expect for a long boggy/heathery stretch at the end where I slipped to the back. Very good views down to Loch Shiel, and later into Clen Cona. This is a very isolated region and we just passed a single group (of two walkers) all day. The walk was 2/3 of this one, done in reverse:
    https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/sgurr-ghiubhsachain.shtml
    We got back to base about an hour before dinner, so I threw on my runners and did a short out-and-back along Loch Linnhe.

Saturday: 11-12mile hillwalk with about 400m ascent
    Another hillwalk of course. Today I was the chicken. The plan was to climb Gulvain, which is a munro (over 3000 feet). Advertised as a simple route with little scrambling or route-finding. Long walk-in before we'd start climbing. There were 5 of us doing this and the walk was mostly as advertised in the early stages, except quite mucky as we started climbing. There was a strong wind with gusts from time-to-time and at some point I got blown over by one of the gusts. We continued uphill in the same way, stopping to steady ourselves and hold onto clumps of grass from time-to-time. I was doing ok with the climbing but after a while I saw the next stretch ahead and it was very exposed, and I decided I was going to come down while the going was good. With so little hillwalking lately my footing is not as good as it should be especially on descents - was worried I was going to be blown over. The forecast had said that the wind would drop off at some point, but of course we had no idea when. Took my time on the long stretch back to the car, then after a while I walked back in along the trail to meet the others and walked back with them. That was about 4 extra miles, so the walking distance was pretty good despite bailing on the climb.
    One of the others had been a bit bothered by the gusts but she had continued on with the group and they all had made it up to the summit ok. So I would probably have been all right. I maybe was a bit quicker to bail because of yesterdays walk in the legs....

Easter Sunday: 9mile hillwalk with about 1300m ascent
    Another hillwalk. We were staying in Ballachulish and there is a local route called the Ballachulish Horseshoe which takes in two munros. A big group of our walkers had done this route (or part of it) on Saturday, but I managed to persuade some others to go on Sunday. The forecast was very good from a wind perspective, some rain for the morning, but it was due to clear before noon. We were starting at 9:30, a bit later than the other days, but we went for a hot chocolate first to wait out a bit of the rain. Things were looking a bit brighter after an hour or so so we drove a mile or so and parked the car to start the walk. The start of the walk was a route through forest trails which was pretty straightforward, then upwards through wet stony ground to hit a Bealach (pass) at about 750m. Bits of slush/snow mixed with wet streams made this section not so enjoyable. Also, I *really* need to buy better gloves, mine are warm but not water-resistant, had to wring them out a number of times on this walk.
    Once we got up to the Bealach the ground was better, and we had to walk along a ridge to hit the first peak which was Sgorr Dhonuill. Good bit of scrambling to get to the top, and we had to be careful with our feet as the snow was around melt-point. It was lovely and still on the top and we had a break up there and ate our creme eggs in honour of the day. We came back down to the Bealach and ate our lunch and then headed up the side of Sgorr Dhearg. The side of this mountain is stony scree so it was pretty dry and this ascent was lovely and straightforward. Two hill mountain runners were coming down this stretch as we came near the top! The weather had cleared further by now and the top we had views all round us to other mountains and Lochs. Not a *puff* of wind which is really rare at any time of the year. We came down off this mountain along a ridge and over some nice paths, but for the second half of the descent it was a tough boggy section followed by slippery wet tracks. Again I slipped to the back. Managed to stay upright on the boggy sections but fell a few times on wet tracks near the bottom and hurt my wrist. If this was nop's log there would be some extra honest details here ... (ok ok, I bit the head off someone when he suggested I stay off the mud after the 2nd fall ... and had to be told to "take a minute" after that :o). Not sure what I did to the wrist, it's not serious and was never painful but can't put 100% weight on it yet.
    Anyway a couple of falls did not spoil a lovely day. Normally you get to the top, have a quick look around, and then run down off the top for shelter from the wind, but we spent so much time looking at views and chatting that we were got back late for dinner. We even had a call checking whether we might have got into trouble :rolleyes:. This was our route, but done in reverse:
    https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/beinnabheithir.shtml

Easter Monday: 9miles Lakeside walk, 11.5miles LSR (10:46 avg pace)
    This was end of the stay in the hotel, but I still had my booking for the B&B in Kinlochleven (and the train journey from Fort William to Edinburgh for Tuesday) and it was only 5miles or so away from our hotel (at least I thought ...). Would walk to Kinlochleven today and then do the final 15mile (but un-hilly) stretch of the WHW on Tuesday spoiler: in the end the WHW on Tuesday did not get done. So I sent my wheeler bag back to Edinburgh in a car and stuffed the necessities into my walking backpack. Walked to Kinlochleven on the road along the side of Loch Leven during late morning and the afternoon, with a stop into the Seafood cafe for lunch. Lovely sunny weather and great views but the road was hard on the feet and I had some blisters near my toes already which got a bit worse on the walk.
    Had an hour or two rest at the B&B and then was feeling fine, so did my LSR by retracing my steps along the side of Loch Leven and back again. Nicer views now with the quieter light. Heard a scuffle to my left from the Lochside after 1 mile and a half, and two small dark deer with fluffy bums ran out and across the road (Roe deer the internet says ...). Only trouble on this run was from the blisters and there was a squelch from the one on the left big toe about 6-7miles in. I was able to keep running without too much trouble all the same. Got back to the B&B without feeling too tired, and as proof the pace for the run was in the usual ballpark...

weekly total: 22.6miles, a lot of hillwalking
    The plan had been to do 29miles, and even after booking the walking trip I still was hoping to get all the run-miles done as well. Had I got Thursday's run done I would have succeeded too. Think all the hillwalking miles will make-up for 6.5miles of running though. Some of the people on this trip are really really fit, had forgotten how strong hillwalkers are, imagine they would do could do pretty good HMs etc, even with minimal run training. I will try to get in some hillwalking over the weeks ahead.

week of 18th-23rd April (week -9)

The burst blister on the left had been taken care of during the LSR, but I had bunch of smaller ones on the right-hand side. Trouble with packing in 20mins is that things like needle+thread get forgotten. Tried the local mini-supermarket for needle+thread on Monday night but no luck.
    Was talking to a Slovakian couple at breakfast in the B&B and they were heading to Glasgow for a flight, but in no hurry ... they offered to give me a lift to Fort William so I wouldn't have to walk, but I said no. Around 10am I was packed up and putting-on my walking boots outside the B&B when the Slovakian guy came up from his car and said "Look, are you sure you won't take a lift?" And I had just noticed that despite Sunday night in a drying-room, and 24hours more having passed, my boots were still damp ... so I took the lift, and was back to Edinburgh by 5pm :). Will do the (whole) WHW another time ...

Wednesday: nothing
    Unplanned rest day. After all those days of not being tired, and the rest day on top of it, this evening I was knackered, so I skipped the run.

Thursday: 7miles easy
    Am supposed to be doing one hill-run mid-week but I wasn't in the mood to go out at all, so I let myself take an easier option this evening. One suburban coastal loop of just under 5miles, then two neighbourhood loops. It would have been 3 neighbourhood loops except some blisters were giving trouble over the last few miles few miles. No time/pace as I hadn't got round to re-charging the Garmin yet.

Friday: 8.1miles easy (10:20 avg pace, 84mins-)
    Late afternoon run in the sunshine from the office to Holyrood, one Holyrood loop, about 1.5 loops of the playing fields and the shorter route back to the office.
    This was genuinely easy, and consistent, apart from two miles with uphills coming in over 11min pace. Was wondering whether the Garmin was accurate in the first couple of miles, but checked the distance for the loop and it was correct. Blisters were giving bits of trouble in last 3 miles or so and that was my "excuse" for not adding in a Radical road loop but doing the playing fields instead.

Saturday: nothing
    The burst blister on the big left toe was sore this morning despite some pruning over days before, so finally gave in and applied a Compeed in the hope it might help. Was going to do 4-5miles later today but got an offer of dinner in the evening and took it. Might even have done the run when I got home later that evening but decided I'd let the blister rest and did my back exercises instead :).

Sunday: 11.2miles easy hillyish run @10:32 avg (118mins)
    2laps Holyrood and a suburban hilly loop to bring it up to 11miles. Nice sunshiny day with a bit of wind, and for some reason quite a few tourists getting photos taken round the park. I did have Radical Road loops (ie, big climb) in the plan for this run but was struggling to push myself out the door so took that off the table; and despite passing the RR twice, I couldn't quite bring myself to head up it ... Would be doing great if my goal race was round the Holyrood loop but it's not, will have to htfu in the weeks ahead.
    Again a bit faster pace, and have been noticing this over the past few weeks, so think there's been a bit of improvement there.

weekly total: 26.3miles
    The plan had been for 31miles, and was planning to get the skipped Saturday run in yesterday (Monday) to finish the mileage then. Had been in talks all day with my brain being pulled this way and that and could not move from the sofa in the evening. So I left it and the advantage is now I'm back to a Monday-Sunday schedule. Aim is 29miles this week including some recce-ing of the 7Hills course.

week of 24th-30th April (week -8)

Tuesday: 4miles easy untimed
    Just under 4 neighbourhood loops late at night (have been travelling up and down the Fife coast this week for work, getting beautiful views of beaches etc from the train, but arriving back home quite late). Had been feeling knackered after another onslaught of talks all day, but managed to force myself out at 10:30pm to see how much I could do. Didn't even bother taking the Garmin.

Wednesday: 5.1miles easy (avg pace 10:59)
    Another late run. One suburban coastal loop at 9:30pm.

Thursday: nothing
    Too lazy to head out.

Friday: 7.2miles hill run with about 220m total climb (11:57 avg pace, 86mins)
    In Edinburgh all day today, so did yesterday's run in Holyrood Park to get the hills in. Once in the park started with a steeper ascent up to Salisbury Crags than previous climbs. Ran along the Crags for a bit then took a descent out onto the loop road, then a bit of anti-clockwise running until Dunsapie Loch. After that took a grassy track going to the back of the Arthur's seat "lump" where the real climbing would start. Got most of the way up to this, not *quite* all, was about to walk so instead came back down to the road. Passed a bunch of tourists on my way up who smiled at my puffings :rolleyes:.... Continued anti-clockwise along the road and when I was all the way down did a tiny out-and-back on a grassy trail before exiting the Park for the short-way back to the office. Did fairly well on the climbs except for 3 short stops on the uphill to Salisbury Crags. Lost a bit of time on the descent from this too, by taking different tracks and having to walk a short stony section and to slide a steep descent too ... Measured out the route on Walkjogrun, and counting the few climbs I get about 220m in total which is not all that great (compared to 7hills), but will do for "mid-week" hills.
    http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=B5063D91-946A-BE8A-6071BD0F377C77A8

Saturday: 4.25miles untimed
    Had never got round to running all day and it was late, but someone was having a party one floor up so I figured I'd use the waking time for a run. So 4neighbourhood loops just before the pubs closed. Had to take a wide curve around a couple of unsteady walkers along the way ;).

Sunday: 9.4miles hill run with about 330m ascent (118mins, ie 12:32 avg pace)
    I had pencilled in a 4hills recce (the first one I'd do) but this was going to be the more difficult second-half of the 7hills route and I prevaricated going out for it for ages. The combination of the big hills, and the messing around with route directions ... time ticked on and it was well past 7pm and I still hadn't done it. The spirit was weak and I might have pushed it out until I realised it was the 30th and if I didn't run today I'd hurt my monthly total. But by now there was definitely no time to take the bus to start the 4hills route (yes, *of course* this was by design) so it was just going to be whatever I could climb in Holyrood Park.
    Route ended up being a first anti-clockwise loop of Holyrood, but taking the Radical Road, adding the up-and-down to the A's seat lump from the top-lake *and* at the bottom doing the climb up Whinny hill. Then headed south along the top from W hill and took the descent along the Dry Dam to exit again near Holyrood Palace. Then a second anti-clockwise loop, taking-in the Radical Road along the way but none of the other stuff as I was too lazy it didn't seem wise post-sunset. The most notable thing about this run is that I paced the uphills carefully and walked on *nothing*, not even W hill. Surprised by that. Of course I was going quite slow ... this was actually "easy" which is rare I can say that for a hill run. Just little bits of puffing near the tops of each climb. Really enjoyed it and will try to remember that next week when I'm feeling-the-fear of the recce.
    wildlife: loads of gloomy black crows .. some magpies .... but was rewarded by a little bunny rabbit heading for gorse on the descent along the Dry Dam.
    The last few miles on the loop road were done in dim light post-sunset and I was probably stretching things safety wise. There were a couple of cars parked up by the top lake as I came past, but they were empty and when I passed there were just a couple of guys sitting crossed-legged on a bench eating fish-and chips :). A convoy of 4cars speeding up a bit after that, but also a couple of walkers, and later on a lone runner heading upwards. There's no lighting in the park after dark and it was nice to see the birds in the dim light, and hear rustles from the hedges. But I will go a bit earlier in future.
    Measuring out on Walkjogrun it is about 330m for the climbs. Not too bad but the recce I'd planned would have been over 550m I think. Will have to make sure to do some of the route next week.
    http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=C0FE69DA-F406-BE5B-AB7AAB6AF2D1C48B

Only 7weeks to go!

weekly total: 29.7miles
    There's been a bit of blister management going on this week. Most of them are sorted by now except for the final one on the big right toe which has a compeed on it but has been making its presence felt towards the ends of the runs. Had hoped to run some strides on the shorter runs this week and did try a single stride near the end of Tuesday's and Wednesday's runs, but had to back off. Hoping that having today off will finally sort the right big toe.

monthly total: 118miles

Month|2013|2014|2015|2016|2017
    January|55|85|70|49|29
    February|69|9|96|30|44
    March|53|57|134|61|98
    April|85|61|85|40|118
    May|65|71|145|26
    June|51|43|89|7
    July|25|99 |79|76
    August|84|120|26.5|97
    September|18|131|0|85
    October|83|0|15|95
    November|78|3|62.5|103
    December|53|56|86|111
    Total|719|735|888|780|290

week of 1st-7th May (week -7)

Monday: nothing
    As planned.

Not the plan. Left this run till late and then was too lazy to push myself out.

Wednesday: 8miles with 5x100m (8miles @10:33 avg, then 5x100m => 8.3miles)
    A late evening run, and needed to be a bit longer than the original plan because of missing yesterdays. Have been struggling with motivation, so took the planned hills off the table and just did two loops of Holyrood and then the strides after I got back to base. The run was pretty comfortable and even the uphill bit not bad compared to the real hills I've been doing lately. There was a queue of 6-7 cars just parked along the uphill stretch after the Crags for some reason, and then I noticed the cameras and turned around to see an impressive sunset behind. No animals this evening though.
    Advantage of missing yesterday's run (*searches for silver lining*) is that the final blister sorted itself out with the compeed slipping off before this run. So I was able to do the strides for the first time.

Thursday: 8.07miles hill run @12:22 avg pace (nearly 1hr40, about 240m of climb)
    Midweek hills. Went out for this after getting home from work, heading off from the voting booth (Council elections, *sigh*) after 8:15pm; went up Calton hill slowly from the "easy" side and then worked my way downhill to Holyrood Park ... took in the steep climb up Salisbury crags and ran along the top, then down and onto the road running anti-clockwise to near the top-lake ... next the grassy climb up to the nub of A's seat, then round the side to take a slightly steeper downwards, and and bit of out-and-back stuff before heading home. Another longer queue of cars on the anti-clockwise climb this evening, with owners, cameras and even some tripods on the knoll beside.
    Was well past sunset before I left the park but in the later stages I was in the lower section with cars and even walk/runners around, ran from the park to my local chip shop for a curry chips :).

Friday: nothing
    As planned. Half thought about putting Saturday's short run in here but changed my mind.

Saturday: 10mile hike, 4.26 miles @10:55 +5x100m strides (4.59miles)
    Lovely sunny flat hike on tarmac on Rob Roy near Callendar, was close to 20C in the afternoon. Deliberately a flat walk to save energy for tomorrow. Saved even more energy than planned as it was done at a very relaxed pace with lots of waiting for people.
    Went out for my 4+miles in late eve, then did strides near the end.

Sunday: 10.5miles with 4hills recce "disaster, what was I thinking signing up for this race" (360m or so, about 13:20 pace)
    Long-overdue Seven hills recce. Six weeks out not ideal timing for the first recce but I was hoping that the hill runs in Holyrood would have helped build some fitness. I had a lot of stuff on today so the only chance I had to do the run was morning, so got up at 8:15am, and was out at the bus-stop at 9:15*. Took the bus to Edinburgh zoo, about 5miles into the seven hills route; the aim was to do the remainder of the hills: Craiglockart, Braids, Blackford, Arthur's seat (shudder) and finally Calton hill. Had the picture-log of directions along with me and had a look through it on the bus. The aim was to run at a fairly comfortable pace and avoid walking if at all possible. The result was :o ....
    • Walked on Craiglockart - found the scrambling-up-the-bank more difficult than I remember from 2015, very dry also after the sunny weeks gone past. After puffing my way up the bank and then starting to run I needed a break quite quickly. Also took some more steps a bit later as I was making my way up near the summit.
    • And walked on Braid hills - in this case I held off most of the way up, but hit a second stony section near the end of the climb, and gave in.....
    • Walked on Blackford hill - this was the worst, I walked most of the horrible Blackford stairs which is quite a bit. I'd run from Braid hills remembering most of the way, stopped to check the directions just once. Getting near to the bottom of the steps, a crowd (a gargoyle??) of about 50 little pugs** came through the gate with their owners and I had to stop and wait for them all to pass through. Waited happily thinking this was good because I'd be able to run up the steps after having the break (hahahaha).
    • Walked on Arthur's seat - yeah, this was always going to happen, even strong runners will walk some of this steep route. But only got a bit of running on the ascent .. also was so fed up at this point that I took a very indirect route for the second half of the ascent (tangled up among a load of tourists) .. knew it wasn't the best one, but couldn't be bothered putting the effort in on the harder route. I know how to fix the ascent (know the right way from 2015 recces) but am also unhappy with the route I took off Arthurs seat and not sure of anything better.
    This was meant to be 5hills, but I was clocking up the minutes at quite a rate, so had to run directly home instead of doing Calton hill. Ran into the local shop near my house and jumped on a bottle of original lucozade before getting into the shower. Was thinking I'd go out tomorrow am and do Calton Hill before work, but am a bit knackered now, will do some route research and will put Arthur's seat and Calton into Wednesday's 7mile hills.

Oh yeah, route-finding: had to check my directions about once for each hill. Proud to say I got shouted at by some golfers as I was was trying to find the way off Braid hill links down towards Blackford. Remembered more than expected from 2015 overall and probably will remember those bits I checked today for future recces. But there's some other bits to improve/fix for the future, apart from Arthur's seat.

Was a bit of a disaster overall and I'm off my 2015 fitness for sure. Possibly have bitten off more I can chew. But will continue with the hills training for the next few weeks, it's good training anyway. Will be a lighter week next week as I'm in Dublin so there's no recce at the weekend! May do a parkrun to assess fitness....

weekly total: 31.5miles

* Yes, really.

** Looking online seems it was in fact a "French Bulldog" meetup group. Who knew ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Curry chips?! I thought they only did salt n' sauce in Edinburgh! You're making me feel nostalgic for my time in Edinburgh with the mentions of Arthur's seat and Carlton hill . Best of luck with the training. Don't forget there are some hills in Dublin too! (although my Scottish friends may disagree)

chickey2 wrote: »
    Curry chips?! I thought they only did salt n' sauce in Edinburgh!

All the local places do curry chips :confused:though maybe they heard I was moving into the area
    You're making me feel nostalgic for my time in Edinburgh with the mentions of Arthur's seat and Carlton hill. Best of luck with the training. Don't forget there are some hills in Dublin too! (although my Scottish friends may disagree)

Most of the time I am quite fond of those hills too. Today, I was in Holyrood Park in the afternoon, looked up in a certain direction, and really I was sick of the sight of it :rolleyes:.
    I might try some of the little hills in the PP next Sunday, but I think not heading to the WW or anything ... recovery after the parkrun you understand. If I skip the parkrun I will think of a different excuse ...

• Advertisement

week -6, starting 8th May ->

Monday: nothing
    As planned.

Tuesday: no running, 3hour hike (6-7miles, 400m or so)
    Took the offer of an evening hike in the Pentlands just outside town to use the sunshine. Just a couple of small hills. I was planning to run my 5miles after, but by the time I got home it was 10:30pm and I bailed.

Wednesday lunchtime: 4.6miles easy (10:43 avg pace)
    Mostly grass-and trail run on the meadows from work, the trails very hard and dusty now after the weeks without rain. Had a plan for the evening so took it easy.

Wednesday evening: 6.55miles including 4 long steep hill repeats
    My first ever "double" and maybe my last too (wasn't a terrible experience or anything but was only doing this to catch up yesterday's lost run, don't have ambitions in this direction). Originally I'd been planning a short recce of 2hills but I'd been talking to a ultrarunner on the hike yesterday and she suggested that doing 6 long hill repeats would help with the uphill troubles I've been having lately. So I decided I'd do hill repeats on the steep end of Radical Road this evening. The uphill stretch is just over .4miles (say about 670m), and the climb is about 85m, so average gradient over 12%. Also most of the climbing is in the first half, so you have a good stretch of puffing and puffing just to move, and then things are more manageable.
    Was not really aiming for the full 6 and hadn't even finished the 1st one when I decided that I would do a max of 4. The stats: first one was @18:20 pace or so, the middle two around 18:00 pace, and the final one @18:50 pace. Nothing is secret on here :o .... That 18:00 pace for the second rep up is not "the truth" either; I pushed too hard early on off the success of the first rep :rolleyes: and had to stop and wait for a few breaths before continuing (switched the watch off for those breaths). Was more sensible for the remaining reps and just concentrated on moving uphill for the first half+, and pushed a little bit then on the more gradual section.
    I was jogging the recoveries as jog-downs without any rest at the top and these were all around 13:00 pace - it's not that easy to gain on the downhill because it's stony and gravelly and the second half is very steep. But good practice for the steeper downhills of the race. Continued over the RR after the last for a longer more gradual descent and the legs were a little bit wobbly at the start of that descent.
    Got asked at the start of my 3rd climb how many times I wanted to run up, then a good luck as I continued up. Love the comments from random strangers when doing intervals! (it's been so long that I'd forgotten ...).
    Will do these again.

Thurday: 5miles @11:24 avg pace
    Just under 5 neighbourhood loops done after 10pm. After yesterday's hill repeats I'd been stiff in both achilli, upper right quad, and more worryingly the upper-side of my left calf. But they'd eased off well during the day and I thought the run might do them good, and I was right. Had planned to do 6miles but was moving at a snails pace from the start and finding the last loop tough so finished a bit early.

Friday: nothing
    As planned and I am enjoying it.

->4th May (week -6)

Saturday: 5miles easy (10:17avg pace), 5x100m strides (5.3miles)
    After the struggles on Thursday night's run I'd started to think it might be better to skip the parkrun. Getting very sensible these days ... wasn't sure what I'd do and set the alarm for 8am just in case, but was still tired when I woke up so let it go. It'll be July now before I get to test my pace, can't drop another recce and not up for racing a parkrun the day before those hills.
    Did a run on one of my Dublin loops that evening instead. Slight progressive nature starting off slow at 10:50 or so, next mile around 10:25 and the others all ~ 10:00. Wasn't so much trying to speed up as to focus on form, to lead with the core and hope the glutes would kick in better. Did the strides on a straight stretch near the end. Very enjoyable run, only annoying thing was bits of coughs. These have been going on for about the last 2-3 weeks, for a while was wondering if it was hills (have had the same thing when doing 7hills training in 2015), and hence I did not mention it here :o. But beginning to think it's hay fever ...

Sunday: 13.1miles flat LSR (10:41 avg pace)
    Late evening run as a big loop round South Dublin, taking in Kimmage, Upper Terenure, Dodder, Rathfarnam, Churchtown, Dundrum, Goatstown, Mount Anville, Stillorgan, Donnybrook, Ranelagh, Rathmines and some meandering through Milltown/Rathgar, then back to base. Mostly consistent though the last few miles were a bit slower, close to 11min pace. Enjoyable run except for a short tantrum waiting for the lights to change at the Dundrum/Taney crossroads. And think the pollen is high, bouts of coughing when I came past any trees (which was a lot of the time). Springtime *begone*.

weekly total: 34.5miles

I love reading about your adventures on the hills HSR :)

Just wondering if you're being too hard on yourself about your paces.

Sorry, I can't picture those hills so I don't know how steep they are or the terrain but do people really run up them? at full tilt?

The reason I ask is that when I'm doing most of my mountain/trail running, I walk (very fast) up the steep sections and make time on the flats and down hills. I wouldn't have the fitness to run up the steep hills but if I did, I'd say I'd be goosed at the top and not able to run.

Sorry, I can't picture those hills so I don't know how steep they are or the terrain but do people really run up them? at full tilt?

Most people will do some walking up Arthur's seat as it's quite steep from the direction we arrive from... and probably most will walk some of the Blackford steps. The others are not all that steep and it's not unreasonable to run up them - in fact I succeeded with that in my final recce in 2015. Good training anyway to be attempting to run most during the recces.

Certainly not at full tilt though :rolleyes:, I back off and run the uphills slowly.

Kinda like keeping the paces because it gives something to compare against as I progress. I'll be delighted if I get the Radical Road ups down to 17:00 pace after a few weeks :).
    The reason I ask is that when I'm doing most of my mountain/trail running, I walk (very fast) up the steep sections and make time on the flats and down hills. I wouldn't have the fitness to run up the steep hills but if I did, I'd say I'd be goosed at the top and not able to run.

If I was running a marathon up a Donegal mountain in the dark after a day of kayaking and cycling I'd be walking the uphills too ;) ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

If I was running a marathon up a Donegal mountain in the dark after a day of kayaking and cycling I'd be walking the uphills too ;) ....

:pac:

We walked up Radical Road when we were in Edinburgh and it was bloody steep. Fair play to you... delighted you are doing the 7 hills again!

annapr wrote: »
    :pac: delighted you are doing the 7 hills again!

I still have 5weeks to injure myself :rolleyes:. Fingers crossed!

Someone has drawn the route Neady, it's about 14.5miles (or a bit more depending on route details) and 2200ft/650m total ascent. Nothing too terrible, I'm just not hill-fit yet!

http://www.mapmyrun.com/gb/edinburgh-sct/seven-hills-race-route-1648896

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Was that you in Terenure the other day? Thanks for the shout(s)!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Was that you in Terenure the other day? Thanks for the shout(s)!

That was me encouraging you to speed up a bit.

It was my mother got all the attention Sunday, many runners thanked her for coming out as they went past - well at least the runners from the sub-35s and behind ;), the rest were a bit more focused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I did notice your mother, she looked like she was enjoying the spectacle! Fair play to ye both. You were well placed to see the worst of the suffering!

Advertisement