Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving on up ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

week of 15th-21th May (week -5)

Monday: nothing
    Planned rest day. Not really needed as the weekend's easy running took little out of me.

Tuesday: 6miles @10:20 avg, then 5x100m (6.3miles)
    Back in Edinburgh for this. Late evening coastal loop and then a neighbourhood loop. Slowed a bit in the last couple of miles but generally easy and consistent.

Wednesday: nothing
    Not as planned. Too lazy to head out.

Thursday: 7.8miles including 3 Radical Road loops
    Yesterday's hill run pushed back. This was planned as 4-5 RR repeats up the steep side of the Radical Road but I was having trouble with motivation so I was playing it by ear. After getting to the top of the first climb I decided I'd let myself take the long gradual descent rather than the jog-down and straight back up ... that makes a longish loop of about 1.7miles, so I'd just do three of these then run home. Timed the paces for the climbs and they were @17:50 and @17:22 for the first and second, so better than last week. Was pushing the pace a bit for the later more-gradual section of the climbs and when I'd got to the top after the second one the legs were wobbly for a while. I did do the third loop also, but at this stage I was "goosed" as we say in Adventure Race circles ... stopped *three* times during the early steep part of the climb to take 5-10 breaths. Possibly had pushed it a bit too hard, was switching off the Garmin for these breaks and the pace at the top of the third was a small bit quicker than the other two. Was able to run consistently once I'd passed the steeper part on the uphill and pushed again a bit on this.
    Not a perfect session, but glad to have it done and in the legs going forward.

Friday: 5.3miles easy untimed
    5 neighbourhood loops late at night. Had been at a friends flat for a glass of wine and it got late, wasn't sure I'd bother doing this one at all. But when I came back to the house after 11pm the flat upstairs was having another get-together, people chatting outside. So I figured I might as well use the awake-time to do the run. When I turned back into my street after the 5th loop the final guests were outside getting into a taxi :).

Saturday: 4miles @10:52 avg pace, 6 hill sprints, .9miles @11:05 (4.9miles)
    These are the short neuromuscular hill sprints of 12secs or so, done on a nice sharp hill I've had my eye on for a while. Did the 4miles by running three neighbourhood loops and then heading towards the hill for the sprints, then back home. Took a couple of goes before I had the proper effort going on the sprints.

Sunday: 13.2miles "5hills" recce (400m+), average pace ~11:52 (2hrs 36mins or so)
    Slightly reluctant hills recce that got delayed till 6pm because my motivation was low. Took the bus to Haymarket train station about 2miles into the course route and the plan was to run hills 2-7 inclusive: Corstorphine, Craiglockart, Braid Hill, Blackford, Arthur's seat and Calton hill. In the end I skipped Arthur's seat, but overall this recce went a lot better than 2weeks ago:
    • Corstorphine hill: was taking a new route up towards this hill, but had planned it well and had no problems finding my way there. Ran all the way up expect for maybe two steps on the steep uphill slabs, but that was due to footing and not effort, so essentially no walking. I knew the way to come off this hill just fine, but spotted a nice looking path just after the top that seemed might be a better way of descending. After a while running on this lovely track knew I wouldn't arrive at my usual descent, but tried crossing a field that I hoped was in the right direction. Came out onto a road I don't know at all and had to ask two women for directions to the zoo entrance. I'd deviated quite a way from the usual route :o .... may have added up to a mile to the route by doing this, will stick to the usual way off this hill in future. The getting-lost and finding-my-way-back was quite enjoyable though, it helped shake off the last little bit of recce-reluctance ...
    • Craiglockart: Scrambling up the bank was a lot easier this time after the bits of rain we've had recently, got up without too much difficulty, and then when out onto the path I was able to run all the way up to the top :).
    • Braid Hill: Ran all the way up to the top, found my route through the golf course without any trouble. By now it was about 7:30 or 8pm so there were no golfers to get annoyed with me. Found the way off the hill fine too.
    • Blackford: Ran everything except the difficult steps, walked those (fairly) briskly with tiny little attempts to run on-and-off.
    • Calton hill: When I was coming off Blackford hill I had already racked up nearly 10miles and it was getting late, so I decided I'd skip the ascent and descent on Arthur's seat. So came round the side of Arthur's seat instead, and down to the parliament where the climb to Calton hill starts. By now the legs were feeling a bit tired, but I made it up the steepish first half by being careful with pace. When I came out to the main road I saw that the driveway up to Calton Hill was closed off .... don't know why this is, possibly due to the time of evening :o. Was not going home without 5hills under my belt, so continued round to the tourist entrance. This has a couple of flights of steps but they're small neat little steps like a stairs, and I was able to run up them and all the way to the top of the hill :). Did get a few smiles from the tourists still up on the hill, and I probably was looking a bit knackered by now. Stopped at the top with 13.2miles on the watch and 2hr 36- or 2hrs 37- mins on the watch.

Jogged the way down off Calton Hill but stopped at the bottom and walked to the Thai takeaway (with a detour for some lucozade first).

Happy with this recce, despite skipping A's seat. Had the pacing just about right I think, was able to keep going throughout, and although I was a bit tired when I got back to the flat, am feeling good today. It was possibly a bit cooler out than a fortnight ago because of being evening-time, that might have helped. Best thing is that although had my printout of the "picture-log", I didn't look at it once ... and the mistake on Corstorphine was because of exploration rather than not-knowing the way. So I won't have to carry the batch of paper on future recces, hurray :).

weekly total: 37.5miles

Had been thinking of reducing the mileage next week to around 30miles, but now I want to try the "6 hills" next weekend. So probably about 33miles. Also hope to do a walking-recce of Arthur's seat and surrounds so that I know the best route in advance.

The other must is to start my strengthening properly again. Last 5 weeks or so have been twice-a-week for the back exercises (that's why I haven't been mentioning them), and only once last week :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The other must is to start my strengthening properly again. Last 5 weeks or so have been twice-a-week for the back exercises (that's why I haven't been mentioning them), and only once last week :o.

I can't really talk but yes, do this, you're so close to getting to the start line this time!

I just google mapped some of those hills - crikey! Nice work on increasing to mostly running them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

those hills sound like great fun, fair play to you. Everything crossed for you to make the start line!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

You're training is going really well HSR, this race will be enjoyable after all the work you've put in. Do you carry water or food during your training?

I just google mapped some of those hills - crikey! Nice work on increasing to mostly running them too.
    Younganne wrote: »
    those hills sound like great fun, fair play to you. Everything crossed for you to make the start line!
    Neady83 wrote: »
    You're training is going really well HSR, this race will be enjoyable after all the work you've put in.

Thanks all ... it's all fun when it's going well ;). Will be grand on race day as it's not too sunshiny as like Ososlo (and probably one or two others ...), I don't do well in the heat. It's like the Cote d'Azur here these days, I've just ordered some sports sunscreen.
    Do you carry water or food during your training?

Hi Neady, I don't, the longest recce so far has only been 2 1/2 hours, and I've been able to finish that without help. I have an on-and-off coughing issue which I think is affected by gastric stuff, so I prefer not to eat or drink if I have to. When I was doing recces in 2015 there were a couple of times I had to buy emergency Lucozade at a chip shop around 10-11 miles into the route, but haven't had to do that yet this year ... I do always have some money on me just in case.

• Advertisement

Am off the roads and into the pool this past week, and looks like strengthening is going to be main theme for a month or two. Surprise surprise :rolleyes:. Here we go again!

22nd-28th May:

As planned.

Tuesday: 5miles @10:38 avg, then 5x100m (5.3miles)
    On the suburban coastal loop after work, before dinner. Didn't really notice any problems though maybe the left ankle was slightly wonky. Not sure though, and I did the strides without any problems.

Wednesday: 5.9miles with 2 Radical Road loops (11:28 avg pace)
    Done in the evening sunshine, a cut-back from the original plan of four Radical Road uphill repeats. This didn't go all that well, I had to stop twice on each of the climbs, though held out longer the second time. On the first climb I came past a couple of Americans and got some "Go girl" motivating comments (I was back running at this point and think my stops had not been spotted) ... on the second climb I was standing taking a few breaks and a little Scottish girl came over to ask me "Was I ok"? :o
    Let the watch run throughout the climbs including stops, just-over 17mins for the first climb, just over 18mins for the second.
    *Now* for the main feature. Had some twinges on this run: on the way to the Park I felt a couple of twinges from near my ankle, when turning the foot in some direction. It settled for the next while and it was fine on both uphill climbs, but came back with a bit of "ankly" sensation doing the grassy descent from the second loop. Did do my stretches at home (for once), but calf stretches didn't seem to "bring" any response. Ankle a bit stiff. Pretty sure today was the first day I noticed it.

Thursday: 1.25miles easy (sore calf), 600m swim
    Had my stuff in work and went out to do a run on the meadows but the ankle was a bit stiff even early on, kept going for a while as it wasn't too bad, but it wasn't going away and I even thought I could could feel some soreness in the belly of a muscle so I came back walking to the office.
    Had my swimming gear in the office as it happened - about the 6th time in recent weeks it'd been carried in. So I travelled to the pool for the first time in ages and did 12x50m difficult lengths, stopping between them all. Then I seemed to do something to my left shoulder and it wasn't going away, so I just went home. Not my day!

Friday: 60mins aquajog
    At lunchtime because the pool was going to shut for a Competition set-up at 2pm (nearly every week there is a different Gala). Usual aquajog session including 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 mins "effort" with 1min rec, then 10x(30secs sprint, 30sec rec). Not a peep from the ankle/leg doing this, which was great, means I can do it again :).

DETERMINED to stay off the injury for long enough to sort it this time. Have a real "carrot" in the form of the Hills race. Unfortunately the weekend ahead is Marathon weekend in Edinburgh, not a hope of getting a physio appointment. But I'd caught it early so was hoping a few days rest would sort it.

Did loads of Googling of what I should do for indeterminate calf/ankle injury: ranging from calf stretches, mobilisations of the ankle; then for strengthening .. stair drops, balance on foot stuff, and band-resistance exercises on the foot. No swelling and insignificant pain so planned to start at least some of these.

Saturday: 60mins elliptical (8.9 "km")
    Ankle was still 'catching' this morning and had the idea to feel-around and noticed some tight spots in the tendons around the ankle, so did some of the press-hold-move trigger point release of Gary Crowley. Seemed to make an immediate difference and when I was walking places in the afternoon the ankle seemed to have freed up a good bit. Still had a bit of soreness in the calf.
    Went to the gym early evening and did 40mins with incline 2, resistance 5 @183 cadence (6km); then to make it more like hill-running, 20mins of incl 10, resist 5 done at 173 avg cadence. The 10 is still only about halfway through the incline gears (didn't check after 20), but it's hard to "run" without the handles at steeper settings. Gym was warm and I was sweating buckets from 15mins into this, a rare experience.

Sunday: nothing
    Ankle/calf no worse but I ran out of time and never made it to the pool.

weekly total: 12.5miles, 1aquajog (60mins), 1elliptical (60mins)
    Didn't manage to improve the back/core work, again only 2 times this week ....

29th-4th June:

Monday: nothing (and quick physio assessment)
    Some twinges on walk to work but nothing major. Was doing some surfing for physios without any hope of finding someone, and I spotted that Run+Become (running-shop) had a lunchtime drop-in with a physio. Thought it would be to heal the wounds of the marathoners but in fact it's a regular thing that happens once a month, and there was only one other person there to see her today.
    It wasn't an in-depth assessment but we went through the usual stand on toes, and hops, etc, and she thought I hadn't done anything serious. Said I couldn't have torn a muscle anyway passing those tests. She said the underlying cause was hip stabilisation trouble (weak muscles) with the left knee inwards-drift much worse than the right. Have heard the weak hips verdict before in an appointment with ecoli/MylesS but had never sorted it out.
    instructions: Stay off Google, stop checking and testing the injury, and if 2days go past with everything perfect try a flat run. Made an appointment to be properly assessed about the underlying issue on the following Monday and to take steps to fix this.

Tuesday: 60mins aquajogging (same as Friday's session)

Wednesday: 60mins aquajogging (usual session)
    Aquajogging and all the pool stuff seeming very safe for the injury. Still getting twinges walking around and it was a bit worse walking to work on Tuesday morning (after two days of 0 cross-training), but the only thing that was different apart from the days off was extra walking the day before :confused:.

Thursday: nothing
    Not any worse, just taking a rest day. Not fixed either!

Friday: 20x50m freestyle (1000m)
    Fewer twinges today walking to work. Did 1000m in the 25m deep half of Commonwealth at lunchtime, as 50ms. Not shutting for a Gala but I had an appointment for hair that evening and didn't want to swim after as the couple of days after the hairdresser is the only time I ever look presentable. Didn't put any structure in the swimming but tried not to hang around too much at the breaks. Easier than previous swim attempt because of the shorter pool, but harder to count, had to do a few extra lengths to be definite I was really over 1000m.

Saturday: 35miles cycle
    Twinges when I was walking around doing shopping in the morning, but improved a few hours after. It was too late to make the deep end of the pool, and I didn't want to swim and mess my hair by swimming so I went to cycle 20-25 miles along the coast in changeable weather. Noticed that the cycling was giving absolutely no challange to the calf so I continued further than I planned, on to Gullane ... had some rain on the way, and the lightening was starting as I arrived into the village, so I parked my bike outside the posh German bakery and hid inside for 30mins having a latte and Black Forest gateau. Cycled back home in improving weather with not a peep from the calf/ankle. Got "hey" shouted out the window of a white car as I came out of Aberlady on the way home, not doing anything but minding my own business, wearing a cycling helmet, not far into the road or near a traffic lights :confused:. Another yell about 3miles later and assuming it was the same people as there probably weren't two white cars with the passenger window open shouting out at cyclists.

Sunday: 35miles cycle
    Exactly the same cycle as yesterday in better weather - ditching *another* opportunity of social contact for more exercise. "Determined" (obsessed) to keep the fitness strong for the return to 7Hills training :rolleyes: .... Did a extra little bit out of Gullane village to get it over 35miles for sure.
    Brought my camera along today and on the way back I stopped a few times to take photos of coast and flowers. Passed by two pairs of faster cyclists dressed in lycra on the journey out, very friendly hi's as they went past. Met both pairs again later, in one case they were in the grass to the side, the man of the couple had taken a tumble into the verge on the stretch outside a village.

weekly total: 1swim (1000m), 2aquajogs (2x60min), 2cycles (2x35miles)
    strengthening: Did get my act together and managed to do the back+core 4days/7 ... first time I've achieved that in 6-7 weeks.
    Also did some raised clams and sideline-squares to make a start for the hip weakness, say 1.5days/7 (half-baked attempt Wednesday, properly Sunday).

And it seems this is to be my future for a while ...

Cycling caused no trouble for the ankle/calf and from Saturday lunchtime I could say the leg was "perfect". So I was going to try a short jog today, perfect timing before the physio appointment. Unfortunately could feel the ankle as I came down the stairs this morning, though the calf was fine. Tried a short run on the grass but bailed after .2 miles ... wasn't terrible, but ankle not "fixed" and even feeling the calf slightly, so I came straight back.

Monday 5th: physio appointment
    After we'd done all the Q&A and injury history and recent-experience and all the hops and walks etc, the physio thinks it is a stress fracture *reaction* of the Fibula. She's reluctant to put a window of time on it, but we'll meet again at the end of June and until then I can aquajog, swim and bike as much as I want, even long sessions. And do my back+core exercises 5-times a week (which it seems will go some way towards addressing the hip stabilisation stuff :o:() + clams and sideline squares.

So no racing in the immediate future.

Looks like I will be seeing a good bit more of this view:

419155.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Oh HSR I'm so sorry. That's terrible luck and so close to the race. You must be so disappointed. Jesus a stress reaction .... you must have some threshold for pain.

Oh no! :( I don't believe it :( so sorry to hear that M. Incredibly frustrating for you.

Oh HSR I'm so sorry. That's terrible luck and so close to the race. You must be so disappointed. Jesus a stress reaction .... you must have some threshold for pain.
    Oh no! :( I don't believe it :( so sorry to hear that M. Incredibly frustrating for you.

Ah, it's fine. I had *no* problem believing it. I wasn't even surprised being honest.

It's not even particularly sore! (as usual ..). But it's only a "reaction", not a stress fracture yet.

Probably I had been building up the effort a bit too fast (was staying to 10% increases but there was the hill increase as well). Given my past injuries, I probably need to be extra careful and will have to "grow" mileage even more carefully in future, with cut-back weeks built in. And strengthening :rolleyes:.

And if that doesn't work I might have to accept I'm destined for the scrapheap swimming pool. That's probably the biggest disappointment. Now I don't hate swimming/cross-training but it doesn't have the buzz of running and doing the odd race.

But it's not the end of the world, and possibly the strengthening will reap benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Really sorry to hear this Hilly, I've been looking forward to reading the 7 Hills race report as much as you've been looking forward to racing it!

The S&C really is a necessary evil, isn't it ?

Best of luck with the rehab and I hope all well before you know it. Fingers crossed for you.

Maybe sign up for one of those swimming galas ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks BG. I'm ok with missing the race, just a bit jaded as I've been down this road a few times in recent years.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    The S&C really is a necessary evil, isn't it ?

It seems so .... part of the trouble is that I don't have confidence it will work :rolleyes:. Mainly that I won't be able to sustain it, but there's a bit of doubt that my biomechanics are so rubbish it mightn't work regardless.

Will be putting those thoughts aside for the upcoming months to make a real commitment to testing it out.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Maybe sign up for one of those swimming galas ;)

"maybe". I figure I'm lucky they're letting me into the pool for now ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

S&C will and does work, but in my opinion it's very important that you work with someone who is experienced and knows how to tailor a plan to your individual needs.

Good luck with it

TbL

"The Handmaids Tale" finished (I am gripped by this in a sick kind of way), here's the cross-training for the week ...

5th-11th June:

As planned

Tuesday: 60mins aquajogging (usual session)
    Torrential rain today with little lakes forming in some parks around town, but not deep enough for aquajogging so I went to the pool for this.

Wednesday: 20x50m freestyle (1000m total)
    Evening swim done in the 50m pool, waiting a bit between lengths. It was hard to begin with but about 600m in I started getting the knack and feeling stronger. Made a bit of effort on some of the 50s as well as more comfortable lengths.

Thursday: 60mins aqua, back+core exercises
    Lashing rain again today. Was out early to vote, then bus to work, used the aquajogging belt as an umbrella between bus stop and office. Aquajogging done late-lunchtime, usual 60min session, again felt I didn't work as much as I should have on the tempos, but pushed well on the sprints.
    Turned on the TV at 10pm just for curiosity and saw the Exit Poll :eek:. So decided I would watch for just a while more ... then waited to see the first seats get announced ... then a bit more ... then for the first Scottish seats ....

Friday: nothing
    Had originally planned to swim but had stayed up gaping at the TV till 4am the "night" before, so didn't bother bringing my swimgear this morning.

Saturday: 31miles cycle
    Afternoon cycle in the sunshine along the coast as usual, not quite as far as last weekend. Came past a little bunny rabbit happily munching on the grass verge about 12 miles into the cycle ... and another young one just 5minutes after. Both undisturbed by the bike going past, probably haven't learnt to be careful yet. Had not taken my camera with me today unfortunately.
    Harder cycle back into the city, bit of a headwind from time to time. Lovely weather otherwise.

Sunday: 45miles cycle nothing (being lazy)

weekly total: 1swim (1000m), 2aquajogs (2x60min), 1cycle (31miles)

strengthening:
    Back+core: 4days/7 again ...
    feet-raised clams + sideline-squares: 2days/7

Fibula is not giving much trouble though I did feel it from time-to-time during the week. Know I have to wait it out though. Next physio appointment is over a week away and it may take even longer than that.

Forgot to mention that I had a new blood test 3-4 weeks ago and over 5months I managed to raise the Ferritin from 7 ... to 86 :pac:. So definitely no need to worry about that.

Here's the back+core stuff for anyone who feels they might be interested (:rolleyes:).

Am doing about 45secs of each of the following:
    • plain crunches
    • cat stretches
    • oblique sit-ups
    • held side plank (right elbow)
    • held front plank (on elbows)
    • front elbow plank with raised leg (change legs a couple of times)
    • held side plank (left elbow)
    • one-leg bridge (change legs a couple of times)
    • held back plank (on elbows)
    • press-ups (the wimpy ones on knees, because my triceps are rubbish)
    • superman with opposite leg/arm raise (change side a couple of times)

For the hip/glute stuff am doing 3 sets of 15 for the raised-clams (each side), and 3 sets of 12 for the sideline squares. Am really feeling these so I hope that means they are doing some good.

More of the same next week.

S&C will and does work, but in my opinion it's very important that you work with someone who is experienced and knows how to tailor a plan to your individual needs.

Thanks TbL. It is great to hear that it might work.

I think I do have someone good at the moment. Have not worked with her before but she is extremely thorough, taking notes of every detail from tests and proddings ... and aiming to fix the underlying cause. This is different from the usual physio I see, while very well-known he tends just to focus on the current injury and getting that fixed.

Anyway, we'll see, it will depend on myself as well as the physiotherapist unfortunately!

Was great to read your positive news from the surgeon. Please be careful with those miles ;).

Thanks TbL. It is great to hear that it might work.

I think I do have someone good at the moment. Have not worked with her before but she is extremely thorough, taking notes of every detail from tests and proddings ... and aiming to fix the underlying cause. This is different from the usual physio I see, while very well-known he tends just to focus on the current injury and getting that fixed.

Anyway, we'll see, it will depend on myself as well as the physiotherapist unfortunately!

Was great to read your positive news from the surgeon. Please be careful with those miles ;).

It might be worthwhile having a recommended S&C personal trainer put you through your paces for a couple of sessions. I got exercises from a physio, but ended up doing them wrong and not having other exercises to progress to. Much happier now that I've someone watching both my form and progression.

TbL

Damn it, totally forgot The Handmaids Tale was tonight, was that the final episode? Much catch up during the week and also The Kennedy's, after Camelot.

Nice work on the cross training & exercises.

It might be worthwhile having a recommended S&C personal trainer put you through your paces for a couple of sessions. I got exercises from a physio, but ended up doing them wrong and not having other exercises to progress to. Much happier now that I've someone watching both my form and progression.

Actually the plan for the next physio appointment is that I'll run through the exercises I'm doing so far and she will check my technique :). I do have a lot of Pilates under the belt over the years so I think on the bodyweight stuff I'm probably close. I'll find out soon!

If I go the route of actual weights that would be a different matter :pac:, I think I would need to be booking someone professional.

Damn it, totally forgot The Handmaids Tale was tonight, was that the final episode? Much catch up during the week and also The Kennedy's, after Camelot.

Just did a Google, it's only episode 3, there are lots more. It's channel 4 I'm watching it on ...
    Nice work on the cross training & exercises.

Thanks. Am doing my best but am dying to get out for a few miles (don't worry, I know better!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ah no, just checking in here, M, sorry to see you're injured again!!! Those hills must be pretty tough on the body. Good luck with the recovery.

annapr wrote: »
    Ah no, just checking in here, M, sorry to see you're injured again!!! Those hills must be pretty tough on the body. Good luck with the recovery.

There are many bodies having no trouble with the training, so I don't think the hills can be blamed..... Poor design unfortunately :rolleyes:.

Hoping it won't be too long before I can run. Can't wait to race a parkrun.

• Advertisement

12th-18th June: more cross-training and back exercises. Was in Ireland this past weekend to try to help out an rebellious elderly relative (an exciting life I lead :rolleyes:), so some little interruptions to training.

Monday: 60mins aquajogging
    Usual session after work, worked better doing the tempos this time. The lifeguards are getting to know me in there, had some chat from the young guy poolside about how fit I am :pac:. He's been wasting his free-swimming it seems, only doing 30mins once or twice a week.

Tuesday: nothing
    Tired and skipped the planned swim.

Wednesday: 60mins aquajogging
    Usual session, was late arriving to the pool and had just the hour to do this before we had to get out for closing.

Travelling and nothing done.

Thought I'd have time to go to Swan leisure this morning, but I'd overslept and spent the rest of the day up to Drogheda and back. Had packed my swim gear and taken it on the trip North, but there was only 45mins of lanes left when I arrived back into Rathmines that evening. And to change. And their habit of pulling-up the lanes early. I left it.

Saturday: 1hour spin, 800m freestyle
    In Swan Leisure, first the 60mins shared between two different gym bikes. Did the middle 40mins as 3mins "hard" (higher resistance), 2mins easy, and I was working a good bit in the hard intervals. Cannot comment on how many miles/kms I did as bike 2 was giving exaggerated readings that I don't even think could be kms. Very hot in the gym today, drank loads of water.
    800m in the pool done as 16x50m. Was tight for time with another trip North to do, and I think this is the first time I left this pool voluntarily instead of having the lanes ripped out ;).

Sunday: nothing
    Couldn't get to sleep for ages the night before with the heat, overslept and then the Father's Day stuff (not organised by myself I might add ....) took over.

weekly total: 2aquajogs (2x60mins), 1 spin (60mins), 1swim (800m).

exercises:
    4days/7 for the back/core stuff, 3days/7 for the raised clams and sideline squares. So not too bad (though technically the "Sunday" ones really happened on Monday ...)

Back in Edinburgh now and had another appointment with the physio today to look at the strengthening. She has taken the decision to streamline the back/core stuff and I have a new set of harder-but-fewer exercises - more dynamic than the ones I was doing. We will meet again in a month or so and at that stage we'll be looking to introduce weight-bearing stuff.

The fibula is a good bit better but not quite there yet. I'm going to increase the walking to 5miles/day for the rest of this week, and if that goes ok, will start some walk/jogging.

Having one of those hair-tearing days, taking 15 minutes to focus on something *controllable*, lower the blood pressure and make the corridor safer.

19th-25th June

Still in Dublin with a trip North to see the rebel of the family, and I didn't get up in time to do the swim/gym before that. Discovery of the day was that Drogheda -> Dublin airport is *much* faster than the 16 through town.

Physio appointment with the new strengthening exercises arranged.

In the pool after work, usual session. No open space this evening so I had to go into the slow swimming lane to do this, but they were all doing breaststroke, so there were no collisions on overtakes. There was some impressive diving going on in the Dive pool but I was not distracted and pushed well on the tempo and sprint sections.

Thursday: 1000m freestyle
    Reluctant swim that got better as I continued, mostly 50ms but forced myself to do a couple of 100ms near the end. Got a little boost near the end of the swim when I noticed I was passing out someone in the fast lane alongside.

Can't remember what the excuse was today :rolleyes:.

Saturday: nothing
    Various plans for cycling, swimming, all bit the dust.

Sunday: 42miles miles cycle
    It could very easily have been 3rest days in a row, but I forced myself out in the afternoon. Nice on the way out but the sea was rough, and when I turned back I had the wind against me. Had gone out a bit past Gullane before turning round and noticing the wind, so stopped in the village for coffee and eclair before getting back on for the push home. Difficult stretch from 30miles where I was pushing against the wind on some exposed sections (trees swaying back and forth, rough sea), was relieved to finally turn inland for the final 5miles home. But BBC Weather was only showing 15 mph when I checked the weather after getting back :confused:.

weekly total: 1swim (1000m), 1aquajog(60mins), 1cycle(42miles)

strengthening:
    A bad start. First 2days/7 for the "old back/core" regime (had got stuck into them in advance of the physio visit). Psychological difficulties getting to grips with the new strengthening; even though shorter, it's harder (though not *that* much harder it must be said): for that there were 2 lame attempts, and done properly 1day/7.

Had also planned to take the walking up to 5miles/day this week in preparation for starting walk/jog. Went ok for the the first few days but by Friday the leg seemed slightly different, so backed off on walking it for the weekend and pushed the RtoR back a bit.

26th June-2nd July:

Monday: 60mins aquajog
    Usual aquajogging session after work, worked hard. Have really been getting quite a bit out of these sessions in this injury-block, hope it will make a difference when I am back on the roads.

Skipped the swim. And also skipped the strengthening....

Wednesday: 19miles cycle
    Along the coast in the evening after work, if I'd known the distance I would have added on a mile to make it neat. But happy to have made it off the sofa. Windy night and had to push against the wind going out but it didn't shift mid-cycle, so I had the wind at my back for the return leg, a nice change :). Sea very rough.

Skipped everything.

Friday: 45mins aquajog
    After work, without the sprints because I was tired; had been an accomplishment to make it to the pool. Realised later I never had any lunch ...

Saturday: 1200m freestyle, walk/jog attempt1
    swim: 11x50m, 4x75m, 2x50m, 2x100m, 50m all freestyle in the 25m pool. Was another reluctant visit and I wasn't really feeling it, thought of Ososlo doing her million laps to force myself to continue.
    There were a couple of fast swimmers in the medium lane today so there was a "speed" focus to my swimming, especially the 75ms where I was putting in a spurt to avoid overtakes. One of them moved into the fast lane towards the end* so I was able to slow things down and get two 100ms in.
    walk/jog: 6x(4mins walk, 1min jog), 5mins walk home: was quite wary putting weight on the left leg at the start of this, but it went ok, and two days later the leg is all right I think.

Sunday: 32miles cycle
    Along the coast as usual, but the wind was light and the sea was calm, so easier coming back in than recent spins. Saw some little bunny rabbits roadside, checking back to the previous time it seems they like to hit the verges at teatime. No camera again, kicking myself as the little one I saw on the return leg stayed sitting alongside the road for ages while I was checking for my camera.
    This was another late evening cycle, so there was another trip to the takeaway for curry chips to eat in front of the TV ...*and* fruit and a big glass of milk, have taken action on the diet this past month in case it's affecting the injuries.

weekly total: 2aquajogs (60min, 45min), 1swim (1200m), 2bikes (51miles)

strengthening:
    3days/7 only. It's all psychological and probably related to head-biting mood all week. Will do today's batch in the office before heading home to make sure they get done and will generally HTFU on them this coming week.

*I stroked his leg as he was getting out to switch :o, had been coming up to the shallow end and stretching my hand out to grab the wall. He did not stop me either ...

*I stroked his leg as he was getting out to switch :o, had been coming up to the shallow end and stretching my hand out to grab the wall. He did not stop me either ...

I'm sure someone will be along at some point with some smart comment on strokes, not me of course :D Was he cute?!

I'm sure someone will be along at some point with some smart comment on strokes, not me of course :D Was he cute?!

He was in good shape but had one of those silly little beards ...

*AND* he was going way too fast in the medium lane.

3rd-9th July

Monday: "mini-hike" (about 6+ miles and 300m ascent)
    Was planning to join a hillwalk in the Scottish borders on the 9th, so instead of a walk/jog today I did a local hike in Holyrood park to test the fibula. Walked home from work and then straight out again and took in climbs of Salisbury Crags, then up the tourist steps towards Arthur's seat and to the top of Crow Hill nearby, down again for some more walking and a quick up-and-back on Whinny hill. Loads of American tourists, dog walkers and runners ... favourite was a father/son/Dalmatian team playing the soundtrack from Titanic as they ran :rolleyes:.
    The descent off Crow Hill was steepish and after getting most of the way down it crossed my mind this was probably a bigger stress than just doing 2mins jog on the flat... towards the end of the walk I started to feel the outside of the ankle a bit. Not a 100% success.

Tuesday: 1000m freestyle
    Post-lunchtime swim done as 2x25m, 9x50m, then 5x100m in the 25m pool. I can never get the pacing right at the start and need a good few lengths under the belt before I can do 100ms in one go. There was no slow lane today so some annoying slow people joined the medium lane after 400m ... eventually I switched into the fast lane for the final few 100ms as there was only 1 person in there and I wouldn't be getting in the way. Was a struggle overall and I was very tempted to ditch it at 800m but got the last 200m in.

Wednesday: 5mins walk, 6x(2jog/3walk)
    Not sure I should even be writing these down, but anyway, time for another walk/jog. Leg had a bit of ankle sensitivity at breakfast the previous day, but had eased off by Tuesday lunchtime, so I thought it was ok to do this one after work today. Result was bits of ankly response on the jogs, but never getting worse. Hmmm ...

Thursday: 60mins aquajog
    Usual Aquajogging session after work, worked very hard on the sprints (10x(30sec sprint, 30sec rec)) with workout-music playing poolside (they were setting up for another Gala due to start Friday). 30secs rec was only barely enough for the later sprints and I was well and truly goosed on the last 3-4 of them. It's a strange feeling as I hadn't been doing speed training on the ground even before I got the injury. Hope it will have some effect on fitness.

Friday: nothing 5mins walk, 6x(2jog/3walk)
    Hardly worth noting these down, except that they're not going as well as they should. Same story as before with ankle sensitivity Thursday easing off through the day. So tried the same session as Wed on grass on the meadows after work. Some bits of sensitivity on the ankle on the jogs, worse on last rep.....

Saturday: 40miles cycle
    Leg got a good rest today with only about 1.5miles walking in total. Did the usual cycle along the coast in sunshine and a bit of wind on the return leg. Had the camera but the bunny rabbits had gone elsewhere.

The pattern through the week was that I'd do something with impact one evening (walk/jog or hike) with some ankle sensitivity at the end, the following day there'd be bits of ankle sensitivity easing through the day and through cross-training ... then the second day I'd try again and ...
    (suspect it was the mini-hike on Monday that started this off).

Ankle had been decent but not perfect Saturday but I was *still* planning to go the hike today as the profile wasn't too steep and it was only 8-10 miles with 850m ascent. And I was dying to get out on the hills. Woke up before my alarm this morning and started remembering back to some of the rough descents at Easter causing the ankles to shift all over the place. So copped-in at long last and sent a text to cancel and stayed in my bed.

Sunday: celebration of laziness
    Lie-in, lounging and surfing, cups of tea and chat, *bits* of housework (to be doing any is a change :pac:), cooling down with a glass of wine in front of the Handmaid's Tale.

strengthening: Will be 5days/7 for the new exercises (dynamic bridge and various dynamic planks), but only 1day for the sideline stuff. Better than last week though. Have the physio again Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

*I stroked his leg ...

At first, I thought this was referring to the bunny rabbit :pac:

annapr wrote: »
    At first, I thought this was referring to the bunny rabbit :pac:

No chance of getting my hands on the bunny rabbits it seems :mad:, they have gone into hiding!

10th-16th July:

Done after work, and I worked *hard*. Have now really tapped into the right effort for sprints and was gasping even after the first few - 9th and 10th were a bit lame because I was goosed.

Tuesday: physio appt, walk/jog 6x(1jog/4walk)
    The ankle niggles had increased Monday after two days of absolutely no weight on the leg (only cycled Saturday, and couchsurfed Sunday). Only thing I could pinpoint were the dynamic side-planks where I was supporting my weight with the foot/ankle. So I got an adaptation to support with the knee to take any pressure off the ankle. Also got a fix of my dynamic bridge (was not bringing the leg out to the side) and also 4 new standing exercises. Am to do them every second day. Today was not that day, nor the day after, nor .....
    Physio wasn't so worried about the niggling and suggested stepping back the walk/jogs rather than stopping entirely. I did the 6x(4mins walk/1min jog) in the evening, not a great idea as I had niggling from the ankle during and after.

Usual aquajogging session after work right up to closing at 9:30pm. Worked hard and had to take an extra 60secs after the 7th sprint before getting in the last 3.

Travelling today and nothing done, not even strengthening :(

In Dublin. Had hoped to swim and spin in the morning but got up late, and was off to Drogheda to sort family stuff (oooofffftt).
    Did do the first go at the strengthening since my appointment, but only did the original exercises, not the new ones from Tuesday.

Saturday: 55min spin, 1000m freestyle
    Pre-lunch workout. Just under 22 "whatevers" on the "variety" setting of the Precor bike - quite difficult, I was sweating 10mins into this. Then into the pool for 7x50m, 5x100m, 1x150m. It felt easier than usual to do the longer sections but I think the 25m pool helps with that.
    Was out for dinner/drinks in the Merrion Inn in the evening. Had another go at the strengthening before bed but it was the same as before just doing some of the original exercises ....

Sunday: 65mins spin
    Swan leisure again before lunch, 24.7 whatevers on the variety setting this time. It seemed to be a slightly easier workout than yesterday and I wasn't pushing quite as hard. No strengthening this evening as I was tired after a 7th-birthday and from mowing the lawn etc (excuses excuses).

Still no proper go at the new strengthening. Had been skipping the walk/jogs as well so the leg was beginning to feel pretty good by now.

17th-23rd July:

Too late up to swim, another trek up to Drogheda with my brother as company this time. Came back to Edinburgh in the evening and was wrecked and never did the walk/jog or the strengthening. Left my brother in charge of the family responsibilities for this week though and he seems to be making progress :).

Tuesday: 5mins walk, then 6x(1.5min run, 3.5mins walk)
    The plan was aquajogging but it was a lovely sunny day and I let my head be turned the suggestion of a BBQ after work, and a trip to the pub after.
    The leg was really feeling very good by now after a week of various reasons skipping the walk/jogs. So when I got back to my flat that night I threw the runners and sports bra on and did a walk/jog round the neighborhood loop.

Little bit of niggling after yesterday's walk/jog, but only minor. Aquajogging after work and pushed hard as usual, got back home and was too tired/lazy to do the strengthening :o.

Thursday: 3mins w/u, 6x(2mins jog, 3mins walk), strengthening
    Walk/jog at lunchtime mostly on grass, only minor niggling. Forced myself to do the new strengthening in the office before typing this (will have to the strengthening in the office in future I think, it's too dangerous leaving it till the evenings).
    Strengthening exercises:
    • Front Plank + Alternate Leg Lift (30secs, 2sets)
    • Side Plank on Bent Bottom Leg with Top Leg Lifts, 2 sets each side (to failure, which is about 20 lifts)
    • Bridge with Leg-up-and-out alternating sides, 2 sets (10 lifts each side)
    • Squat to wall, 1 set (10reps)
    • Split squat, down and up, 1set each side (10reps)
    • Single Straight-leg tip forwards, 1set each side (10reps)
    • Knee Drive-through, 1set each side (10reps)
    Nothing major *at all*, especially with so few reps. Seems to be a psychological block. There is a fair overlap with what I got from Ecoli/MS back at Christmas (and never did :o).

Cycling this evening I hope.

Am sorry to hear Ososlo is gone from the forum ....

10th-16th July:

Done after work, and I worked *hard*. Have now really tapped into the right effort for sprints and was gasping even after the first few - 9th and 10th were a bit lame because I was goosed.

Tuesday: physio appt, walk/jog 6x(1jog/4walk)
    The ankle niggles had increased Monday after two days of absolutely no weight on the leg (only cycled Saturday, and couchsurfed Sunday). Only thing I could pinpoint were the dynamic side-planks where I was supporting my weight with the foot/ankle. So I got an adaptation to support with the knee to take any pressure off the ankle. Also got a fix of my dynamic bridge (was not bringing the leg out to the side) and also 4 new standing exercises. Am to do them every second day. Today was not that day, nor the day after, nor .....
    Physio wasn't so worried about the niggling and suggested stepping back the walk/jogs rather than stopping entirely. I did the 6x(4mins walk/1min jog) in the evening, not a great idea as I had niggling from the ankle during and after.

Usual aquajogging session after work right up to closing at 9:30pm. Worked hard and had to take an extra 60secs after the 7th sprint before getting in the last 3.

Travelling today and nothing done, not even strengthening :(

In Dublin. Had hoped to swim and spin in the morning but got up late, and was off to Drogheda to sort family stuff (oooofffftt).
    Did do the first go at the strengthening since my appointment, but only did the original exercises, not the new ones from Tuesday.

Saturday: 55min spin, 1000m freestyle
    Pre-lunch workout. Just under 22 "whatevers" on the "variety" setting of the Precor bike - quite difficult, I was sweating 10mins into this. Then into the pool for 7x50m, 5x100m, 1x150m. It felt easier than usual to do the longer sections but I think the 25m pool helps with that.
    Was out for dinner/drinks in the Merrion Inn in the evening. Had another go at the strengthening before bed but it was the same as before just doing some of the original exercises ....

Sunday: 65mins spin
    Swan leisure again before lunch, 24.7 whatevers on the variety setting this time. It seemed to be a slightly easier workout than yesterday and I wasn't pushing quite as hard. No strengthening this evening as I was tired after a 7th-birthday and from mowing the lawn etc (excuses excuses).

Still no proper go at the new strengthening. Had been skipping the walk/jogs as well so the leg was beginning to feel pretty good by now.

17th-23rd July:

Too late up to swim, another trek up to Drogheda with my brother as company this time. Came back to Edinburgh in the evening and was wrecked and never did the walk/jog or the strengthening. Left my brother in charge of the family responsibilities for this week though and he seems to be making progress :).

Tuesday: 5mins walk, then 6x(1.5min run, 3.5mins walk)
    The plan was aquajogging but it was a lovely sunny day and I let my head be turned the suggestion of a BBQ after work, and a trip to the pub after.
    The leg was really feeling very good by now after a week of various reasons skipping the walk/jogs. So when I got back to my flat that night I threw the runners and sports bra on and did a walk/jog round the neighborhood loop.

Little bit of niggling after yesterday's walk/jog, but only minor. Aquajogging after work and pushed hard as usual, got back home and was too tired/lazy to do the strengthening :o.

Thursday: 3mins w/u, 6x(2mins jog, 3mins walk), strengthening
    Walk/jog at lunchtime mostly on grass, only minor niggling. Forced myself to do the new strengthening in the office before typing this (will have to the strengthening in the office in future I think, it's too dangerous leaving it till the evenings).
    Strengthening exercises:
    • Front Plank + Alternate Leg Lift (30secs, 2sets)
    • Side Plank on Bent Bottom Leg with Top Leg Lifts, 2 sets each side (to failure, which is about 20 lifts)
    • Bridge with Leg-up-and-out alternating sides, 2 sets (10 lifts each side)
    • Squat to wall, 1 set (10reps)
    • Split squat, down and up, 1set each side (10reps)
    • Single Straight-leg tip forwards, 1set each side (10reps)
    • Knee Drive-through, 1set each side (10reps)
    Nothing major *at all*, especially with so few reps. Seems to be a psychological block. There is a fair overlap with what I got from Ecoli/MS back at Christmas (and never did :o).

Cycling this evening I hope.

Am sorry to hear Ososlo is gone from the forum ....

You did all that S&C in your office??? If that was me the cleaning lady would be needed with the mop!

You obviously work alone :)

TbL

• Advertisement

You did all that S&C in your office??? If that was me the cleaning lady would be needed with the mop!

You obviously work alone :)

TbL

It's hardly anything I think, only 1-2 sets of anything :confused:. There is plenty of scope for progression the physio says, we will be meeting again in a month or so :cool:.

Yeah I have my own office. With a glass panel to the corridor! I didn't get any comments today but have been spotted rolling my piriformis on a tennis ball in the past.

Advertisement