Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the typical Irish Family? Britain = Two single mothers, one heavily pregnant.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

But no one said that. In fact, it was brought up to mock feminists who aren't here saying something that wasn't said in the thread. It's like there's an agenda or something.

Like I said, this crap is just feminists with testicles. Looking for slights.

I certainly agree there's nothing offensive about realistic art.

Perhaps the Feminism debate is one to have another time. Still it's a popular conceit of theirs that women leaders would be less likely to wage war, which is not supported by data - but then again, Feminists aren't exactly renowned for grounding their opinions in reality at the best of times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I certainly agree there's nothing offensive about realistic art.

Perhaps the Feminism debate is one to have another time. Still it's a popular conceit of theirs that women leaders would be less likely to wage war, which is not supported by data - but then again, Feminists aren't exactly renowned for grounding their opinions in reality at the best of times. :)

I am a renowned misogynist. I have no time for feminists at all. But let us not become polarised in response to their lunacy, and end up aping their behaviour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lapin wrote: »
    Again this is another US based study. A very different cultural and social set up to Ireland. I'd be surprised if single parent families weren't worse off on a few metrics, but I'd like to see more local studies, even EU based ones

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Always thought this was the typical Irish family :pac:

I am a renowned misogynist. I have no time for feminists at all. But let us not become polarised in response to their lunacy, and end up aping their behaviour.

Well said bodice ripper, we must rise above it all! #chauvinistandproud

:-D

• Advertisement

Well said bodice ripper, we must rise above it all! #chauvinistandproud

:-D

Oh I am not proud of my misogynistic tendencies, but know thyself and all that. If I can't conquer all my character flaws, I should at least know what they are.

And chauvinist just sounds classier, more continental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Wibbs wrote: »
    Again this is another US based study. A very different cultural and social set up to Ireland. I'd be surprised if single parent families weren't worse off on a few metrics, but I'd like to see more local studies, even EU based ones

I was asked and asked to come up with some kind of study by another poster so I threw up the first one I found to keep them happy.

Its nearly always possible in a lot of cases to find a study, academic thesis, or survey to back up something you want to say so I don't really take much stock in them for an informal exchange of personal opinions such as this one.

I don't regard After Hours as place where too much reliance can be placed on providing peer reviewed material to substantiate a point of view as it would run the risk of someone providing another study to counter the first one and so on....

We could spend all day batting surveys and statistics back and forward and discussion and opinion on the original topic would lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I was asked and asked to come up with some kind of study by another poster so I threw up the first one I found to keep them happy.

Its nearly always possible in a lot of cases to find a study, academic thesis, or survey to back up something you want to say so I don't really take much stock in them for an informal exchange of personal opinions such as this one.

I don't regard After Hours as place where too much reliance can be placed on providing peer reviewed material to substantiate a point of view as it would run the risk of someone providing another study to counter the first one and so on....

We could spend all day batting surveys and statistics back and forward and discussion and opinion on the original topic would lose out.

But surely if you have strongly held opinions on something, then you should have more to back them up than mere intuition?

Its not just intuition though.

My views and opinions stem from my experience in life and the environments I grew up in and lived in.

And in this, I am no different to anyone else.

Statistics have their place but we shouldn't over depend on them to shape how we think.

My views and opinions stem from my experience in life and the environments I grew up in and lived in.

Statistics have their place but we shouldn't over depend on them to shape how we think.

My experience is diametrically opposed to yours.

Now what?

• Advertisement

My experience is diametrically opposed to yours.

How would you know that?

Have we met ?

Sigh

Likewise. So, now what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

But public art represents all kinds of things, some wonderful, much of it violent, most sadly meaningless of late.

What public art or more correctly public funded publicly displayed art fronting an institution does is gives a look into the mindset of the society at the time.

You mention much public art is violent, I can think of fairly modern public art that is violent, this would be a very good example, this isn't publicly funded or institutionally emplaced art though, I can't think of any publicly/governmentally funded art that is though we don't stick up statues to generals anymore, you might have a load of historic statues around of Columbus about but thats what they are, historic and they give a glimpses of the mindset of the time.
    You can't honestly compare the past to the present.
    Or do you feel there should be tight controls on the content of public sculpture, and if it isn't pushing the right family template, it shouldn't be there?

I'd like there to be a moment of reflection on what publicly funded art means and the image it portrays past the superficial, as I said in a previous post we could have a statue of a neglectful mother ridden with negative class stereotypes and it would be just as real.
    This statue doesn't make me angry, what it does do is make me wonder why there is the absence of the male and what that says as a publicly funded piece of art, if it was one single mother and her child or a lesbian couple (both actually nuclear families) I wouldn't consider this.
    So no I don't think that public art should have to push a traditional family model (see your at it again!) what I would like is some consideration of those absent from that family unit when the unit being shown is an extended unit.

ps for those that are arguing about it mainly being male artists portraying the female form what your looking for is the Gaze concept, or more specifically the idea of The Male Gaze

pps its good to find out its not only feminists I argue with :cool:

Sigh

Likewise. So, now what?

Well how about actually coming up with a point of view of your own and expressing it instead of following me around and simply disagreeing with everything I say just for the sake of it.

"When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?"

- John Maynard Keynes

Advertisement