Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the typical Irish Family? Britain = Two single mothers, one heavily pregnant.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

nokia69 wrote: »
    a stable 2 parent family is better than a stable 1 parent family

I know its controversial but thats all I'm saying

Actually, I was addressing the fact you said single parent families are not a good idea. You never differentiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I'm not arguing that non traditional families are inherently worse, I'm saying that in a culture where the absent fathers and the lack of role-models for young men/boys is an issue, the absence of the male presence in a piece of public art like this says a lot more than just look at the happy kids in that statue

Pretty much every other piece of public art is a man standing on his own. Oddly, that doesn't seem to be a problem.

I tell you, I am getting pretty sick of the White Dude Aged 18-35 Feels Underrepresented meme.

And the burgeoning Little Boys Can't Learn From Women meme. That one is parochial little backwater thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not sure if its the threat of violence exactly, but it seems that young children behave better around their fathers, just my observation

my mother would sometimes have to use the wooden spoon but my father just had to say stop

How do you know your experiences are the exact same as everyone elses?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Pretty much every other piece of public art is a man standing on his own.

Come off it.

The most famous statue on the planet is arguably the Statue of Liberty in New York.

The most photographed statue in Dublin is of Molly Malone.

There are frigging statues of the virgin Mary all over the country.

The most famous landmark in Copenhagen is The Little Mermaid.

The biggest statue in London is the Queen Victoria Memorial on the Mall.

And as the Tour de France swings into the Champs Elysées every year for its ceremonial laps in the final stage, millions of viewers worldwide are familiar with the camera shots of the golden statue of Joan of Arc on horseback facing the cyclists as the race emerges from the Louvre tunnel.

And speaking of the Louvre, the most famous exhibits inside are the Mona Lisa and the statue of Venus de Milo.

I could go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Lapin wrote: »

I could go on.

Yes, the cherries are quite ripe at this time of year.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Pretty much every other piece of public art is a man standing on his own. Oddly, that doesn't seem to be a problem.

They tend to be historic and/or of a famous or noteworthy individual but sure thats exactly the same thing as this.
    I tell you, I am getting pretty sick of the White Dude Aged 18-35 Feels Underrepresented meme.

Right on sister, lets not listen to anything those patriarchs say because they are just mansplaning sure its easier than actually thinking about an issue.
    And the burgeoning Little Boys Can't Learn From Women meme. That one is parochial little backwater thinking.

Thats a nice way of explaining away how the lack of positive male role models can potentially have a negative impact: Your a black American right? Are the countless members of your own the African American community and academics who point to a lack of positive role-models as a partial cause of the problems faced by black male youths just narrow minded hicks too?

At no point did I say I thought that non-traditional family units were a negative but I guess you just have to get those SJW digs in anyway, sure you can be guaranteed you'l be thanked by the usual suspects.

I'm black! Does Mom know?!

And I couldn't be less SJW if I tried. But the lamenting of the lack of male presence in public sculpture is hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

And I couldn't be less SJW if I tried. But the lamenting of the lack of male presence in public sculpture is hilarious.

eh I don't think that what he was doing

he just pointed out how wrong you were

Come off it.

The most famous statue on the planet is arguably the Statue of Liberty in New York.
    not a person, an allegory

mythical figure

fairy tale

And as the Tour de France swings into the Champs Elysées every year for its ceremonial laps in the final stage, millions of viewers worldwide are familiar with the camera shots of the golden statue of Joan of Arc on horseback facing the cyclists as the race emerges from the Louvre tunnel.

And speaking of the Louvre, the most famous exhibits inside are the Mona Lisa and the statue of Venus de Milo.
    allegory

I could go on.

Feel free to go on, dude. Commissioned public sculpture is massively slanted to white guys looking pensive, alone. Which is fine, that's how I like my sculpture. And it definitely beats the hell out of post-modern found-object crap at the side of motorways. Sculpture could definitely use more heavily armed men in marble.

But this weeping and gnashing of teeth over this one out of the ordinary sculpture (so out of the ordinary that we are talking about it when we would be hard pressed to think of another sculpture in the same city) is a stitch. It's all the same SJW, but with testicles.

• Advertisement

eh I don't think that what he was doing

he just pointed out how wrong you were

This is the poster who surmised that I am black. Perhaps too much is being read into the sculpture also.

I'm black! Does Mom know?!

Apologies for calling you black, actually if I apologize does that make me a racist ;)
    Anyway doesn't change the fact that as an American you should be aware of that discourse.
    But the lamenting of the lack of male presence in public sculpture is hilarious.

FFS did you even read this thread, its not about sculpture in general its about how representation of a family unit can be missing the 2/3 men and the imagery that portrays at a time when absent fathers or a positive male influence are a growing issue in the UK.

Thats a nice way of explaining away how the lack of positive male role models can potentially have a negative impact: Your a black American right? Are the countless members of your own community and academics who point to a lack of positive role-models as a partial cause of the problems faced by black male youths just narrow minded hicks too?

I just wanted to quote this. Cause it's ****ing hysterical.

Anyway doesn't change the fact that as an American you should be aware of that discourse.

FFS did you even read this thread, its not about sculpture in general its about how representation of a family unit can be missing the 2/3 men and the imagery that portrays at a time when absent fathers or a positive male influence are a growing issue in the UK.

**** happens. You seemingly haven't read the thread, or I am certain you would have noticed someone pointing out that there is more than one type of family, even if you feel that isn't ideal. We put murders and criminals and liars and racists and dragons and lions and unicorns and most unfortunately giant piles of scrap metal out there as public sculpture all the time.

I just wanted to quote this. Cause it's ****ing hysterical.

Yeah its great the way you don't identify with any of the other points raised but sure have at it.

Interesting to note you don't have an issue with Eviltwin saying that having a male presence is important.

Every single one of my posts I've stated that I don't think non-traditional families are worse but you keep trying to pin it on me? Why is that?

Edit: Actually do you just have a personal dislike from some reason? nighty night anyway. http://xkcd.com/386/

Seriously though, this is just the other side of the same coin with the ultra feminists.

Quick to take offence, reactionary, polarised loons. Spoiling for a fight about how **** you've got it, like you'd give a **** sideways about a sculpture if it wasn't and excuse for more lamentation.

We should all be thankful a Turner Prize winner even made something figurative, and with ANY discernible meaning. Usually public sculpture is formless metal, painted tractor yellow, rusting by the road in a lasting **** you to the tax payer.

Every single one of my posts I've stated that I don't think non-traditional families are worse but you keep trying to pin it on me? Why is that

If they aren't worse, what is the problem with representing them in sculpture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Come off it.

I could go on.

Just a quick question......

Who designed/built/painted all of the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Smidge wrote: »

evil white men

the scourge of the planet

evil white men

Aaand nobody said that. Again, the parallels with the feminists are astounding.

• Advertisement

evil white men

I like to think that the scourge of the planet are ignorant entitled pigs.

Not talented genii.

But maybe that's just me.

What has that got to do with the comment I addressed in my post?
    Pretty much every other piece of public art is a man standing on his own.

No mention there of the designer/builder/painter....

I like to think that the scourge of the planet are ignorant entitled pigs.

Not talented genii.

But maybe that's just me.

The two are not mutually exclusive. I suspect the generally go hand in hand.

The two are not mutually exclusive. I suspect the generally go hand in hand.

Ah now you can't blame the artists for being born the right sex in the right time period ;)

Ah now you can't blame the artists for being born the right sex in the right time period ;)

Well, no, you really can't. But then, entitled pigs come in both genders, so it makes no odds.

What has that got to do with the comment I addressed in my post?

No mention there of the designer/builder/painter....

It has everything to do with it imo.
    You cannot fault the subject nor blame them for the artists decision.

But hey, g'wan with your bad self :D

It has everything to do with it imo.
    You cannot fault the subject nor blame them for the artists decision.

But hey, g'wan with your bad self :D

I'm not faulting any subject. :confused:

I'm not faulting any subject. :confused:

Well then, clarify.
    You gave examples of women being depicted in the most famous works of art etc.
    To what end then if not to say that women were being revered and held "above all"?
    And then made it out as that was the fault of women and being used against men as some sort of whip against their masculinity.

Basically, men made nice art of women.
    And it's the fault of women

Well then, clarify.
    You gave examples of women being depicted in the most famous works of art etc.
    To what end then if not to say that women were being revered and held "above all"?
    And then made it out as that was the fault of women and being used against men as some sort of whip against their masculinity.

Basically, men made nice art of women.
    And it's the fault of women

Where the hell did I say or even imply any of that?

Talk about putting words in my mouth.

I simply listed a few well known examples of statues (and one painting) depicting women to prove the comment below is plainly incorrect.

It doesn't matter if the women being depicted are allegorical, mythical or fictional or who created and designed the work. The fact is they are depictions of women which means this statement is clearly false.

Nothing more nothing less. Please read back over my posts and make sure you're not confusing me with someone else here before ascribing to me, things I didn't say at all.

• Advertisement

Where the hell did I say or even imply any of that?

Talk about putting words in my mouth.

I simply listed a few well known examples of statues (and one painting) depicting women to prove the comment below is plainly incorrect.

It doesn't matter if the women being depicted are allegorical, mythical or fictional or who created and designed the work. The fact is they are depictions of women which means this statement is clearly false.

Nothing more nothing less. Please read back over my posts and make sure you're not confusing me with someone else here before ascribing to me, things I didn't say at all.

But it didn't prove her wrong at all. It just showcased your own cherrypicking skills and you also ignored the fact she said "every other piece of art is a man" not "every famous piece of art is a man".

So no, you didn't prove anything by it.

Advertisement