Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you LOVE about Living in Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Hmmm. I dunno. You're Italian, yeah? I had some very positive experiences during my 3 weeks travelling there alone. Was never taken home by a famous person for tea (haha) but I definitely had people leave their job/activity to give me directions in their best broken English. People were very nice there, I found.

I might say you have been lucky to meet nice people during your stay. It depends where you have been. Southern people are warmer (excuse the pun) than northern people, touristic towns are more used to receiving people and dealing with them.
    On an average level, though, we're more unfriendly than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The protests are great craic so they are.

Tiochfaidh Ar La :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

There are no dangerous wild beasts in the countryside, there are no wolves now

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wexicanfan

LoganRice wrote: »

Make sure you have a stick in your wellies for the badger attacks haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Gorteen

The way two Irish people can have a conversation and.....

Neither of them say exactly what they mean....

Neither of them mean exactly what they say....

Yet they both understand exactly what is being said..... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

anncoates wrote: »
    I remember getting a bus to my ma's years ago at Christmas and the driver was wearing a Santy outfit and shades. :)

There was a story a couple of years ago in Cork about a bus driver who had dressed as Santa while driving the bus the few days before Xmas for 25 years. A member of the immigrant community complained to Bus Eireann cause 'it offended them as they do not celebrate Christmas in their religion'. The bus driver had to stop wearing the santa outfit.

Its a great example of other cultures taking themselves too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

CHealy wrote: »
    There was a story a couple of years ago in Cork about a bus driver who had dressed as Santa while driving the bus the few days before Xmas for 25 years. A member of the immigrant community complained to Bus Eireann cause 'it offended them as they do not celebrate Christmas in their religion'. The bus driver had to stop wearing the santa outfit.

Its a great example of other cultures taking themselves too seriously.

Sounds like a great urban myth. Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The incredible beauty all around us, every morning I wake up look out my window and look out over fields, the sugarloaf and the majestic beauty that I'm surrounded by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Meathlass wrote: »

It might be, thats why I said a story. Its not totally unbelievable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

A fine Irish morning strech

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

We have one of the richest Cultures in Europe , Lost of European countries have lost their rich dancing and music traditions but in Ireland its very vibrant. I really love our appreciation for our culture, although we could work on the language a bit more now to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

To strike up a conversation in the countryside that will always ends in a light hearty joke, like the last time I was home and walking the dog on the pier and met a total stranger, fishing.

"Tis a fine day for a walk"
    "ah tis"
    "There saying twill be wet this evening though"
    "Oh sure, we better make the most of it so"
    "haha we will and thankfully my local is waterproof
    "haha"

That!

and West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,169 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Meathlass wrote: »

It sounds like one.

On a cross cultural note I have wondered why Irish people have menorah's. They're everywhere at xmas and no-one seems to notice.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/surprisingly-jewish-hanukkah-menorah-now-a-favorite-irish-christmas-tradition-135016818-237742671.html

I think the irish attitude is "ahh sure, why not. candles are xmassy" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

A hot whiskey, next to the open fire while the rain is lashin against the window.

:D

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

A hot whiskey, next to the open fire while the rain is lashin against the window.

Indulging in one right now. Pity i've work tomorrow. 2 or 3 wouldn't go amiss! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Charity boxes by the till in nearly every shop like Spar, Centra, etc. I'm from the States, and only see this very rarely over there. Great way to get rid of your small coins and give a little something to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

cactusgal wrote: »
    Charity boxes by the till in nearly every shop like Spar, Centra, etc. I'm from the States, and only see this very rarely over there. Great way to get rid of your small coins and give a little something to charity.

My local chipper has four of them. FOUR ! :D

Padre Pio missions, the Hospice in Raheny, St Vincent de Paul & breast cancer awareness. Me and my big fat ass have stared at them long enough, waiting for my order, to know them all off by heart. :o

(Although, it is a little bit sad, that they all have to be attached to the counter top by a metal chain, so they won't get robbed. :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Police that don't shoot first then ask questions like in the fantastic states, no high levels of racism like in australia, Not much chance of being shot by warring rebels like in many parts fo africa, safe streets unlike south africa, social welfare much better than most of the world. tis a great little country!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The drink culture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Our love for country music.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

RonanP77 wrote: »
    The food, it seems to be better quality than I get when I travel. The beer is definitely better here.

It really depends on what you are comparing the food to and I would say the beer in Ireland is not the best in the world although it is good.

However I agree with most of what you said, although the west coast of Ireland is especially beautiful I would say

The banter is great and communities stick together.
    The Irish tend to bond more when they are abroad like I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It's not even midday but that sounds cosy.

Yay or nay to cloves in the hot whiskey?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Yay and honey too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

CHealy wrote: »
    Its not totally unbelievable though.
    Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

LoganRice wrote: »
    If you exclude the species known as "The Bogger", I suppose that's true!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

The way we seem to be the only country in the world who can call a friend a c*nt, bollox, prick and it is taken in an affection manner.

Examples would be "You're one funny c*nt" , "F*ck off ya bollox my sides are splitting here ya prick"

Call an American a c*nt like that and it is like you just caused an international incident

Irish people are the only people immune to the taboo of "curse words" and the only people who don't take them seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Top quality dairy

None of that UHT ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

ProudDUB wrote: »
    My local chipper has four of them. FOUR ! :D

Padre Pio missions, the Hospice in Raheny, St Vincent de Paul & breast cancer awareness. Me and my big fat ass have stared at them long enough, waiting for my order, to know them all off by heart. :o

(Although, it is a little bit sad, that they all have to be attached to the counter top by a metal chain, so they won't get robbed. :( )

Here you , leave that ass outside , tie it to the traffic light.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Chunners wrote: »
    The way we seem to be the only country in the world who can call a friend a c*nt, bollox, prick and it is taken in an affection manner.

Examples would be "You're one funny c*nt" , "F*ck off ya bollox my sides are splitting here ya prick"

Call an American a c*nt like that and it is like you just caused an international incident

Irish people are the only people immune to the taboo of "curse words" and the only people who don't take them seriously

Ah **** off and go back to 'Murica with that Obama bollix. Friendly me arse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

A few things I like about Ireland:
    - Drinking in a quiet country pub on a rainy night
    - Breakfast rolls
    - People talking absolute sh**e
    - The red brick architecture in Dublin
    - Questions answered with 'sure you know yourself'
    - Catholicism behind every corner
    - Being so relaxed about everything
    - Irish stout
    - UCD
    - Irish wimmins (say what you want about them but I still find their entitlement and over use of fake tan extremely attractive)

In no particular order, just jotted down what came to mind.

Advertisement