Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you LOVE about Living in Ireland...

Options
  • 01-11-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Water charges, taxes, public transport, vat, price of bread, the weather....

Reasons to be negative about Ireland are abound. Lets turn that frown upside down ;)

What do you love about living in Ireland?

My own experiences of Dublin
    - Nice walks along Sandymount / Dun Laoighre pier
    - Great pubs in Dublin, not comparable to anywhere else in the world
    - Breathtaking beauty of the Dublin mountains.

And of Ireland as a whole
    - Wexford, the sunny (somewhat) south East. Lovely beaches.
    - Rural cork. Peninsulas along the southern tip of the country have amazing scenery.
    - Galway, for the craic and atmosphere.

:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

The warm rain in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Sweet f*ck all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,170 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Carvery's and better bacon.

Guinness.

I was once on a nightlink at xmas. They whole of the bus was singing xmas carols at the top of their voices. the driver turned on the mic and joined in :)

Grayson wrote: »

I was once on a nightlink at xmas. They whole of the bus was singing xmas carols at the top of their voices. the driver turned on the mic and joined in :)

That's put a big grin on my face :D

• Advertisement

Irish people are funny and big-hearted and by far the very best thing about Ireland. The Irish sense of humour is a wonderful thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

That I can live in Cork :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

The temperature, humidity and importantly, no Mosquitos.

After cycling from France through Italy and to Croatia last year over a couple of months, I never felt so appreciative of the climate in Ireland when I got home. There are few places on earth with such moderate temperature and climate as we have here. In Italy you sweat standing still and while doing nothing. Mosquitos a permanent menace.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Candie wrote: »
    Irish people are funny and big-hearted and by far the very best thing about Ireland. The Irish sense of humour is a wonderful thing.

Indeed. There's something about that sort of camaraderie you don't get anywhere else in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

This will be a short lived thread.

• Advertisement

That it's the only place in the world you can find 82000 people watching 30 men bate the shíte out of eachother with sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Excellent social scene and atmosphere, wonderful sportsmen and women to be proud of, and the moment when the summer finally arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The spectacular coast, especially when it's stormy. The power of the sea is awe inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Saluting walkers on country roads and getting an appreciative nod of the head back from them. Nowhere else does that without quizzical looks in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

That it's the only place in the world you can find 82000 people watching 30 men bare the shíte out of eachother with sticks.

Say what now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jelenka

13 years here and I must say that I love it here, people are mostly very friendly and cheerful, nature is beautiful and overall Ireland is great.

I would however like a bit less rain and more sun in the summer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Good topic for a Thread.

Within an hours drive you can be in a multitude of destinations to which tourists are willing to pay big money to travel to from the world over.
    Accents - So varied and unique
    Dry Humour - Self Depreciating and witty
    GAA - Invokes passion, banter between fans. Mingling of fans at matches
    Off the Ball Radio Show
    Lunch in "The Grand Central" Bar in Dublin. Burger is amazing.
    People watching while drinking tea/coffee on Dame Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

There are lots of great things about living in Ireland, but for me I rather read and look at it from Portugal :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Grayson wrote: »

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Free, high-quality live music in pubs and often on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭billy100

Proper bacon and cabbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

One of my favourites is one of many a boards poster's biggest gripes. The "ah sure it'll be grand" attitude of the people here. There's negatives about it sure, but there's just something so refreshing about people that can just roll with the punches and get the **** on with things and enjoy themselves regardless rather than taking everything seriously. You really only notice how pleasant a trait it is when you're spending a good amount of time mixing with non - Irish people too or living out abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

The sense of humour, just cannot find it anywhere else!
    The scenery, west Cork is especially beautiful.
    The food, especially dairy and beef products, top class imo.
    You're never more than an hour's drive from the country side.

That it's the only place in the world you can find 82000 people watching 30 men bare the shíte out of eachother with sticks.

Took me a while to figure out the hurling angle here.

Wondered what your hobbies were there for a while. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

strobe wrote: »
    One of my favourites is one of many a boards poster's biggest gripes. The "ah sure it'll be grand" attitude of the people here. There's negatives about it sure, but there's just something so refreshing about people that can just roll with the punches and get the **** on with things and enjoy themselves regardless rather than taking everything seriously. You really only notice how pleasant a trait it is when you're spending a good amount of time mixing with non - Irish people too or living out abroad.
    Yeah I'd agree with that. Hope we never lose it too. A lot of other cultures are really anal about petty stuff.

Say what now? :confused:

You need to watch some hurling... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The twinkle in a pig's eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Water charges, taxes, public transport, vat, price of bread, the weather....

Reasons to be negative about Ireland are abound. Lets turn that frown upside down ;)

What do you love about living in Ireland?

My own experiences of Dublin
    - Nice walks along Sandymount / Dun Laoighre pier
    - Great pubs in Dublin, not comparable to anywhere else in the world
    - Breathtaking beauty of the Dublin mountains.

And of Ireland as a whole
    - Wexford, the sunny (somewhat) south East. Lovely beaches.
    - Rural cork. Peninsulas along the southern tip of the country have amazing scenery.
    - Galway, for the craic and atmosphere.

:cool:

Ooh love this thread!

I will add the following:
    - GAA; either county or club - the build to the match, atmosphere around before it starts, the adrenaline rush watching the game...

-All-Ireland Final (it deserves its own category!) even when you are neutral

- Waterford county (mountains, beaches, just incredible scenery)

- Food: steak and potatoes, beef and Guinness stew

- Proper tea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

razorblunt wrote: »
    Saluting walkers on country roads and getting an appreciative nod of the head back from them. Nowhere else does that without quizzical looks in return.
    except rural France , Spain , Germany ,Austria , Greece in my experience and many others I presume , yes it's nice ,but not unique , we need to get over ourselves a bit on this one .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

local pubs having lock ins even when the guards are outside

Advertisement