Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you LOVE about Living in Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would say people mostly. I really like how most irish people don't get thick and can take a joke.
    I love pub drinking in Ireland. It's very different from bar drinking where I came from. It's a lot more friendly and laid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Candie wrote: »
    Irish people are funny and big-hearted and by far the very best thing about Ireland. The Irish sense of humour is a wonderful thing.

We really can't be beat for that and when you spend a good few years living abroad. You realise we are really universally loved for our quick wit & humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Has to be the Dubln women

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

What I'll miss most when I leave is how friendly it is... Knowing all your neighbours if you've lived on the same road for any length of time and the little chats on the street with them while they ask a million questions about how everyone's doing and you ask the same in return. I know this may be the case in other countries but I'm afraid it won't be quite like here.

Also "ah sure it'll be grand" - the best saying we have when we really don't want to do something and figure it can wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Bacon - irish bacon is amazing. Far better than the bacon I used to eat in england
    The people - generally, irish people are willing to talk to anyone, always funny, always witty, don't get bogged down by small petty stuff, I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I love the general laid back attitude that doesn't seem to ingrained in places like Paris, London , New York. Ireland has some lovely old buildings and really stunning and unique scenery. You'll see the constant bashing of Ireland in some threads on this site and it's really sad to see. We have got a good life expectancy and relatively good social welfare system whether we agree with or not,It does contribute to our well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Oops69 wrote: »
    except rural France , Spain , Germany ,Austria , Greece in my experience and many others I presume , yes it's nice ,but not unique , we need to get over ourselves a bit on this one .

Ive not experienced it in 3 of those 4 you've listed but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

The food, it seems to be better quality than I get when I travel. The beer is definitely better here.

The Irish sense of humour is class, you can take the piss out of pretty much anything without people taking offence.

The scenery, I'm a Cavan man and I honestly believe it's one of the naturally most beautiful places there is.

The ladies, foreign girls in general tend to have better figures and be a bit more stylish but to be honest you can find Irish girls that are as hot as from any other country. They tend to be a lot more down to Earth and take themselves less seriously.

Tradition, music, language, legends, superstitions............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Our love for country music.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The sccenery and the atmosphere. I've been all over, but I can't away from the sense of belonging that I have here. There's a sense of calmness here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I actually love the weather - 2 seasons rather than 4. A long spring and a long autumn. It never gets too warm and it never gets too cold. Truth be told, I don't mind a bit of rain. And storms here can be breathtakingly spectacular.

I do miss thunder storms a bit though, you don't get many here.

I also love the low tax rates. I used to not even take home 50% of my pay, here I'm much better off. And you have a better value for money ratio on many things than in many other countries.

And last but not least the landscape. Stunning, amazing, sometimes almost surreal in its beauty. This is one of the most beautiful places on this big planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Weather, nothing else like that.

The fact I can walk down the biggest street in Carlow and still bump into a family member!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

The atmosphere in a proper country pub, someone pulls out a whistle or fiddle and the craic is just great.

Tea

The friendliness of people, in London you'd get walked past dying in the street - for the most part Irish people are considerate and would help a stranger.

The scenery. Nothing like it, up around the north coast and Donegal. Breathtaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

The fact that there's a bed upstairs in my local pub in Tuam for when the lock-in starts heading towards morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

What I remember loving about Ireland when I lived there:

The surreal sense of humour. Bent over laughing for most of the night whenever I went out.

Going to pubs and mingling with strangers.

Beautiful skies (they're either blue or grey here).

Soups and brown bread.

Laid-back, down-to-earth people. Arrogance and vanity not being prevalent.

As others have said, the "ah sure! It'll be grand attitude". Taking each case as it comes and people being more flexible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

I love the fact that most Irish people are very community orientated, not on a vast scale but on a small scale street parties use to be a big thing where all the parents would get together and buy sweets and cakes and probably hire a bouncy castle and the kids would have a day of pure being spoiled and then in the evening the kids would be put to bed with a smile on their face and everyone would get around a table in the middle of the street and have a few drinks and congratulate each other on a job well done. I love that for most Irish people there is no lengths you wouldn't go too for a kid even if that kid isn't your own.

When I was 15 my 12 year old brother was diagnosed with Cancer and my parents weren't working at the time and our neighbors arranged nights out with tickets to gather the money to send him to Lourdes (waste of money I know but the fact they did it shows they cared), people were even buying tickets knowing that they wouldn't be able to attend on the night. When he died 9 months later the neighbors had (without our knowledge) raised over €1,000 towards his funeral, my parents weren't rich so no mess that gesture was unbelievable for us. The day of his funeral I am not messing there was about 1000 people in the church, it was packed to the rafters and most of them I didn't even know, someone got all the kids in his class, my class and my older brothers class together and their parents all put the money together to buy a wreath that spelled his name and the kids in his class made a massive card about 5 foot tall that they got everyone to sign as they walked into the church. That day could have been much sadder for me but seeing everyone come together like that made a really sad day for me just that little bit more bearable. I don't know if they do that in any other country but I would argue with anyone who says that Irish people are totally self centered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The GAA and the weather.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Murphy's Icecream
    High Crosses,
    Dingle Peninsula
    Beara
    The Dursey cable car
    Irish farmers' markets
    the whole community rowing in in times of trouble or tragedy (The ladies who take over the kitchen at wakes, the men who do the parking and the way people genuinely want to express support to the bereaved)
    GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

the weather.

Ah now.

Do you not think it rains too much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

I can't imagine being anywhere else. I love the beauty of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I love taking walks along the Barrow Track. I've waked from Carlow town to Athy and from Carlow town to Bagenalstown, each of which is about a twelve mile walk. There's some beautiful scenery, wildlife and interesting building along the way. For example here's a picture I took of Levitstown Mill and one of Milford Mill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

No snakes
    Thanks Saint Patrick

Also no dangerous wild animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

Since I've moved back to Donegal, I love;

-The scenery, just spectacular views everywhere.
    -I love the climate, never too hot or cold. Never too extreme like hurricanes, tornadoes, volcanoes etc. I love how the light is constantly changing and captures the scenery.
    -The feeling of breathing in fresh, unpolluted air.
    -My neighbours, some of the nicest people I've ever met. They'll always stop for a joke and a chat. I can go into their homes, any day at any time if I feel a bit lonely and I'll always be given a warm welcome and a cup of tea and something to eat.
    -The feeling of safety and security. I could leave my car keys in the car overnight and they'll still be there in the morning.
    -Warm cups of tea.
    -The coastline and beaches.
    -Hill and mountains, waiting to be explored.
    -Although we might not be as economically prosperous as we were, it's rare to see extremes cases of poverty like I've seen in other countries.
    -The variety of homegrown food, especially seafood.
    -The nightlife, you can meet some real characters.
    -Sense of humour and willingness to joke about things.
    -Access to good education and healthcare which doesn't cost the earth.

I love Ireland, I do feel it's under appreciated by some people. Sometimes we don't know how good we have it. You only have to visit a country where people are living in extreme poverty to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

What I love most about living in this country is the fact that my scumbag of an ex doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Irish slang, irish humour

The craic! Sure it's only mighty!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I love taking walks along the Barrow Track. I've waked from Carlow town to Athy and from Carlow town to Bagenalstown, each of which is about a twelve mile walk. There's some beautiful scenery, wildlife and interesting building along the way. For example here's a picture I took of Levitstown Mill and one of Milford Mill.
    I've done the exact same walk multiple times :)

It's beautiful alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Great thread ....!

When you read all these posts about our great County and feel all the LOVE for it - it's a wonder we can't put all our energy into telling our LEADERS what we want done?

We're a great people! Very nice posts on this thread ..... Cheers Everyone!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Loads of things, most of them already mentioned.
    I'm going to pick one, and that is friendliness. People taking a minute out of their day to say hello, to help someone, maybe helping with directions, if someone is lost, or lending a hand starting a car/ changing a tyre, things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lanarty56

The punctual public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Advertisement