Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is take-away food so terrible?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Some of the more expensive takeaways are top notch (surprise surprise).

Bombay Pantry, Diep and Mao are all excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

Good Chinese take aways are tough to find, especially in Dublin for some reason.

I moved to Dublin 7 about a year ago and started noticing something called a spicy bag / box advertised in the windows of Chineses, had never heard of these things before. Tried one last night after a good few pints. I think I liked it at the time but glad I don't really remember it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

OP You must have eaten from the ****tiest Chinese in the country.
    Theres 2 great Chinese takeaway near me.
    3 really great chippers.
    An amazing Indian just down the road.

I get a takeaway maybe twice a month... Its a treat and always hits the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Surely the chips in Mc Donaghs on quay street would be among the best?

Meh... Iv had better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There's a chipper van after setting up by me lately. You think "chipper van = plastic chip cartons and deep fried sausages."

As take away food goes, it's gorgeous. He cooks burgers from fresh and they come with a lovely salad. His battered fish are large fillets which again are cooked from fresh and battered in front of you. Chips are proper thick cut. And the portions aren't huge so you don't wake the next morning feeling sh!tty.

/grabs car keys....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Keno wrote: »
    Leave MSG alone. The whole outcry over it was due to a single letter sent to the New England Journal of Medicine in 1968.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamate_flavoring#Safety_as_a_flavor_enhancer

Bloody gorgeous, ask people why their afraid of it and they don't even know what they're supposed to fear.
    There isn't even so much as a consistent rumour of a side effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I know somebody who says they had MSG in a bag at home. They made a sandwich and sprinkled the stuff onto it to try it out but had to spit it out and toss it in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

hardCopy wrote: »
    Bloody gorgeous, ask people why their afraid of it and they don't even know what they're supposed to fear.
    There isn't even so much as a consistent rumour of a side effect

is not like meant to be really addictive/....makes you want to eat more and more of something

Chinese/any take away food is not the best to be eating at the best of times!!!
    why would people want to put it onto it(other than takwaway owners)...it would be a good step if it was outlawed!!

take away is awlful horrible and bad for you and I used to feel prue crap after eating it...
    it is no different to smoking...you know its bad for you...yet it seems to be acceptable for people to eat it regulary enough....anything more than once a year is too much
    couldn't even hack the smell of it now

*sorry for the rant!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I know somebody who says they had MSG in a bag at home. They made a sandwich and sprinkled the stuff onto it to try it out but had to spit it out and toss it in the bin.

It's in this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Knorr-Purpose-Aromat-Seasoning-3oz/dp/B000NY3A8C

Lovely sprinkled on chicken, or steak, or chips or anything really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

cloud493 wrote: »
    I had a take away last night. Don't eat take away very often, but I got a chinese last night, and it was so awful, made me sick it did. I was considering this morning and I realised, almost all the take away I've had that isn't either from a chippy that was recommended to me, or the big chains, mcdonalds, burger king, super mac, etc, is nearly always terrible*, and you nearly always get done over on delivery chargers.

So why do we eat take away? Are your take aways generally as terrible as mine?

*I'm not suggesting mcdonalds or super mac is actually amazingly good food, but certainly, it never makes me sick, you know what your getting at least.

It's takeaway food not haute cuisine. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Nothing like a good wrap from the local chippy....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

cloud493 wrote: »

Ah yes, the 108 special with fried rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It's takeaway food not haute cuisine. :)

Not expecting it to be. I am expecting decent grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Some of the more expensive takeaways are top notch (surprise surprise).

Bombay Pantry, Diep and Mao are all excellent.

I think the attention to detail, ingredients & service are a cut above at Bombay Pantry.

Their curries are all a bit too tomato-ey though & don't hit the spot quite like a more typical bhuna, jalfrezi or madras IMO.

I've had some of the best chippy-esque food I've ever had from vans. When I used to go see tranmere rovers play when I was younger, the van that did burgers and hot dogs and chips, they were incredible.

Contacted just-eat on their live chat, got a refund and a voucher for the just-eat site. So yay, happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Surely the chips in Mc Donaghs on quay street would be among the best?

They are on my to do list. Im afraid of being disappointed.

Advertisement