Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is take-away food so terrible?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I had a King Creole from KC's in Douglas Cork on Wednesday evening and it was delicious.
    KING CREOLE

Chicken (all our chicken is locally sourced, 100% Irish fillet) roasted in blackened Cajun
    spices, served in a hot pitta with mayonnaise, iceberg lettuce and a few chips inside.

My Brother got the Kansas City Pitta.
    KANSAS CITY PITTA

A hot pitta filled with slow roast Irish pork belly rubbed with our own blend of dry BBQ
    spices, coated in homemade sticky BBQ sauce & served with mayo, sliced gherkin, a few
    chips & iceberg lettuce.

I felt festively plump after washing my Creole down with an ice cold can of Coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Take away has to be cheap, quick and easy to make and the majority of people who buy it like bland food.

That's why it's mostly ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think with most places the cost of production is a race to the bottom. People vote with their wallets and the cheaper places do well unless they get so bad they shed customers to a competitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

What you mean you nearly always get done over on delivery charges ? I've never had a takeaway that cost more than 2.50 for delivery.

In my area, according to just eat.ie, lowest delivery charger was €3.50, and the place wasn't reviewed well.

Were they in a ball though?

It wasn't. It was kinda a boulder shape.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I never really eat Chinese food anymore, as it is always disappointing. Most people know its full of Msg, but its also full of salt, fat and sugar and whilst it might resemble the more healthy choice in fast food it is mostly crap. Battered Cod and chips would probably be healthier, once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Karl Stein wrote: »
    I had a King Creole from KC's in Douglas Cork on Wednesday evening and it was delicious.

Daaaamn. It's been so long. Next time ask for Cajun chicken with it! Fckin starving now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

cloud493 wrote: »

How much did you pay for that abomination of a dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Its so bad for me and full of fat and nasty things.....

But it tastes so good. Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I have it once every few months, gorge on it then remember why I don't order it very often. That msg stuff leaves me feeling like dog crap.

How much did you pay for that abomination of a dinner?

For that, and the chicken balls it was just over 15 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

For that, and the chicken balls it was just over 15 quid.

Not cheap. They have some nice recipes over in the cooking club. Here's one for sweet and sour fried rice with chicken balls: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057027285

Nicer and a third of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The devil's in the details. There's an independent pizza takeaway quite close to me, and their pizzas are very good quality and value. There's one ironic problem, though: their pizzas are nice because they're thin, which means that they go cold more quickly. I find that mine is nearly cold by the time I get home (under 10 mins walk), and it's a chronic complaint in online reviews. I would still go there more often if I wasn't watching what I eat.

From what I've read, Chinese cooking developed the way it did partly as a way of making the best of poor quality ingredients. Not that Chinese food is unique in this regard. Sausages were invented many thousands of years ago, so that butchers could use "everything but the squeal". :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I used to love Chinese, and I worked in a Chinese restaurant when I was younger so I ate it a lot, but I went a few months without eating it and when I had it again I felt like crap after it.

There are plenty of decent Thai and Indian take aways around though (depending on where you live I suppose) so I stick with them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Gbear wrote: »
    Take away has to be cheap, quick and easy to make and the majority of people who buy it like bland food.

That's why it's mostly ****e.

^ Hipster!

On a serious note most people (myself included) like their share of take aways (Indian is my preference) as a treat. Consider you cook yourself 6 meals a week, its nice to have something easily consumable for rewards sake. Similarly, a nice kebab or Supermacs is perfect after a night out especially if you are getting a nitelink and have a long journey home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Leave MSG alone. The whole outcry over it was due to a single letter sent to the New England Journal of Medicine in 1968.
    Although many people believe that monosodium glutamate (MSG) is the cause of these symptoms, an association has never been demonstrated under rigorously controlled conditions, even in studies with people who were convinced that they were sensitive to the compound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamate_flavoring#Safety_as_a_flavor_enhancer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Indian or Thai takeaways are usually very good. Chippers and Chinese takeaways are often terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    The Indian where I live is amazing and one of the Chinese places is OK. I generally don't like chipper food, its OK at the time but the next day I feel rotten!

Indian takeaways tend to be one of the better ones for standard and taste.

If you get a bad Indian you know its bad!.

Chinese can be hit and miss no matter where its gotten because its all made around soupy sauces and batter.

Chipper food well that speaks for itself. No one is expecting five star food then! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Leilak

I think its the gloopy sauces that puts people off, but l suddenly get a ferocious appetite when passing a Chinese - what is it we smell that suddenly makes us want it? Similarly when you pass a chipper somebody said its the vinegar that throws out that pungent aroma l dunno:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kobe

Very true, its packed with MSG. All the meat for Chinese restaurants comes in frozen boxes imported from China. I've seen this first hand and have never eaten Chinese since. I was in a freezer warehouse in Navan that supplied Chinese and other restaurants. The forklift guy was moving all these boxes with Chinese writing on them into a truck. I asked him what was in the boxes and he said meat on its way to Dublin Chinese restaurants. It seem there was no checks on quality or what it even was.

Not all of them, I work in a Chinese restaurant and we only order our meats from local suppliers, such as Cunningham food, and English Market in Cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

I prefer my own cooking, beef and chicken from a chinese tastes like rubber and their chips are vile

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Karl Stein wrote: »

My Brother got the Kansas City Pitta.

I felt festively plump after washing my Creole down with an ice cold can of Coke.

You can never say no to KCs, me and buddy usually go there once a week. It's 35mile trip to KCs though, well worth the drive! King creole is just orgasmic stuff.

There are good chippers and bad chippers, but I know one thing, I would never touch Chinese take away. I know some stories about local Chinese takeaways thanks to my friends who do deliveries for them.
    In hacap course we were told that majority of places that get shut down by health inspectors are Chinese restaurants and takeaway shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I can't stand take aways any more, I've been doing a good bit of running & cycling all year, I lost 2 stone and since that I really didn't like the few take aways we've gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Bombay pantry is quality take away, good value can be had if you collect it. Love the butter chicken masala.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Takeaways are a bit like sex
    Gbear wrote: »
    Take away has to be cheap, quick and easy

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got a chinese last night, and it was so awful, made me sick it did.
    So why do we eat take away? Are your take aways generally as terrible as mine?
    This could possibly be the worst generalisation on boards in a long time.
    OP has one meal from one place and now it's all takeaways everywhere are terrible.

Sorry about you getting sick OP. Did you throw up or was that also an exaggeration?

If you read the rest of that post, I said it included many other take aways, not just the one I had last night. Last nights was the one that made me sick, therefore it broke the camels back, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Good take aways do exist. Its just you have to wade through the sea of crap to find them. Currently on the quest for decent chips in Galway.

Surely the chips in Mc Donaghs on quay street would be among the best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The local Indian takeaway is top class.

Tend to stay away from other takeaways.

Advertisement