Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is take-away food so terrible?

Options
  • 01-11-2014 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

I had a take away last night. Don't eat take away very often, but I got a chinese last night, and it was so awful, made me sick it did. I was considering this morning and I realised, almost all the take away I've had that isn't either from a chippy that was recommended to me, or the big chains, mcdonalds, burger king, super mac, etc, is nearly always terrible*, and you nearly always get done over on delivery chargers.

So why do we eat take away? Are your take aways generally as terrible as mine?

*I'm not suggesting mcdonalds or super mac is actually amazingly good food, but certainly, it never makes me sick, you know what your getting at least.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

The Indian where I live is amazing and one of the Chinese places is OK. I generally don't like chipper food, its OK at the time but the next day I feel rotten!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It can be quite nice if it's not battered and deep fried. Sometimes I know I could cook the same thing but nicer though

Most takeaway food is very high in fat and if you're used to a low fat diet, it is a bit of a shock to the system.

If you eat stuff like that at home as well then you'll be completely immune to the affects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sure I had these deep fried onion rings, like covered in batter. Wouldn't be the sort of thing I'd eat often, but I ate them, tasted like ****e, and made me feel like ****e :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Our local Indian takeaway is nice and there's a decent enough Chinese too. It's relatively cheap convenience food at the end of the day so you know what you're getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I stopped eating take-aways after i got food poisoning from it for the third time. Only thing that ever made me really sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Ordering chinese food, ask them to leave out the MSG.... It becomes a bland slime of nothingness... Gross unidentifyable meat and not taste whatsoever.... MSG is poisonous to me so now chinese food is off the list....try it, ask them to not out in msg....

The 'chicken' balls, didnt look like chicken, didnt taste like chicken. Looked like batter and grease with some vague chicken-esque thing inbetween.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

bought a fish from the chipper last week and it was like some kind of mutant.Certainly not a fresh cod and not a big portion considering the price.I will not be buying fish again from a chipper.The other time I bought one was from a chipper by the sea thinking they must have nice local caught fish but no it was like rubber even my dog refused to eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

If you're in Dublin 15 you can't beat a bit of Diep or Thai Garden at Home. Really tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

cloud493 wrote: »
    The 'chicken' balls, didnt look like chicken, didnt taste like chicken. Looked like batter and grease with some vague chicken-esque thing inbetween.

That's because it's probably pigeon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

bnagrrl wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin 15 you can't beat a bit of Diep or Thai Garden at Home. Really tasty.

Yeah, Diep in general aren't too bad as far as takeaways go.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    That's because it's probably pigeon

I know pigeon and that ain't it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

You ordered chicken balls and onion rings from a Chinese and you're shocked that they didn't taste that good. Hmmm. If you want deep fried food, the chipper is your only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I think it goes without saying that you don't order chicken balls expecting culinary excellence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I never understood chicken balls, anytime ive sampled them they should've been called "batter balls with some bird meat"

I wasn't expecting culinary brilliance. I was expecting it to taste like chicken, and at least kinda decent, neither requirement was fulfilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Most takeaways I've tried on just eat have been absolute ****, and yet, they have High ratings with hundreds of reviews.

Hmm.....

Chicken balls are in fact chicken balls all collected and put in a blender and then made into a ball and put in batter.True story.

I think the best way to get a good take away is to show some cleavage.

Chicken balls are in fact chicken balls all collected and put in a blender and then made into a ball and put in batter.True story.

I think the best way to get a good take away is to show some cleavage.

Chicken balls blended into chicken balls?

• Advertisement

into bigger chicken balls.Coz they are too small normally.They often pump chinese food with gas to make the chicken meat bigger.That is why you fart after.

Oh ok. Sounds disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Good take aways do exist. Its just you have to wade through the sea of crap to find them. Currently on the quest for decent chips in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Were they in a ball though?

better off making home made chips with fry tex.Although that can be dangerous if you do not watch over it.
    I found a lovely Turkish place in Navan that gives you a kebab the size of a arm for 6 euro.It is so filling for the price.Just eat.ie is good for ordering as you can rate the food after.Keeps them on their toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Ì blame the gluten :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shimmy Jimmy CocoPop

dharma200 wrote: »
    Ordering chinese food, ask them to leave out the MSG.... It becomes a bland slime of nothingness... Gross unidentifyable meat and not taste whatsoever.... MSG is poisonous to me so now chinese food is off the list....try it, ask them to not out in msg....

Very true, its packed with MSG. All the meat for Chinese restaurants comes in frozen boxes imported from China. I've seen this first hand and have never eaten Chinese since. I was in a freezer warehouse in Navan that supplied Chinese and other restaurants. The forklift guy was moving all these boxes with Chinese writing on them into a truck. I asked him what was in the boxes and he said meat on its way to Dublin Chinese restaurants. It seem there was no checks on quality or what it even was.

I always did find the beef in a Chinese a bit chewy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

What you mean you nearly always get done over on delivery charges ? I've never had a takeaway that cost more than 2.50 for delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Takeaways are a bit like sex, look tasty when someone else is having them, but when you have one yourself it's nothing but a mouthful of grease and salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Donkey Fords in limerick :D

Advertisement