Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol. A sensible discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Between 16-20
    I found that I need a drink after a days work. Maybe only a pint of ale.

Im not sure if it is habit or addiction. Lately it has been 2 pints.

My waist line has been expanding also.

The whole new order of craft beer that seems to be sweeping the country is doing me no favors either Although I would only have a pint or two opposed to years ago when I would quite easily consume vast amounts of cheap lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No, I know exactly what I meant to say.

Oh OK then your opinion is in opposition to the science. Like I said to the other poster, take it up with the scientists. Maybe you know something they don't. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Somehow I've become the spokesman for safe drinking. Do what the hell you want it's none of my business. If you want to ignore the research, fine but if you want to discredit the research then you better do it with some actual evidence. Not an anecdote and not your humble opinion.

Might as well preface your post with, " I don't know what I'm talking about but here's my uninformed opinion; I think the medical community is sometimes lazy and I think 4 pints is a low to be classed as a binge". Ha some people...

Good Luck to ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Between 6-10
    Six cans of dutch gold with the boys in the field, can't go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

Still find it difficult to relate to most of my peers hellbent on going out several times a week to waste money on drink, sure I've participated to see what the fuss was about but I've never understood what people enjoy about standing in a packed pub listening to awful music.
    I much prefer a quite drink at home if I am going to drink but that's rare too and now I'm on medication so can't drink alcohol for the foreseeable future and couldn't care less. As long as I can still drink tea I'll be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Between 16-20
    I went to a Portugal last year off peek and found a cafe bar that all the young folk seemed to congregate on Saturday night . Its was a town somewhere on the coast.

Off course the missis and myself had no interest in the coffee that most locals were drinking. We got drunk.

Thinking back, we were the only ones drunk. Thinking back it was quite embarrassing to be the only ones drunk.

Fulfilling the typical Irish stereotype.

I would like to see an attitude change towards alcohol in this country as its doing us no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Less than 5.
    My personal story,
    Don't drink haven't for a number of years, lost a very profitable bussiness , a loving healthy relationship ,lots of good friends and my health just plummeted ..Started of like most other people then progressed to every night then to the Monday clubs and then to for ever and ever.

Since I stopped all the above has being turned around and my life hasn't been happier,Sometimes I can look back and get nostalgic about my drinking days but the truth be told it was the worst road I ever went down in my life and I am sorry for myself and all the others that I hurt that I ever went there in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Between 41-50

Good Luck to ye

Good luck to you too sir. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Between 6-10
    ecstasy is quite "social"

You wouldnt go out after work for a "couple of cheeky pills" though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Between 11-15
    Cut down an awful lot this year. Was never a heavy drinker (6-8 pints was the most I'd ever drink on a night out maybe once a week at most) but still felt it was excessive and defeating the purpose of enjoying a nice beer. Might have some German beers once a fortnight at home but I stopped drinking on nights out completely. Being sober is a great excuse not to go clubbing.

Took a nice 2 month break from any alcohol and enjoyed it a lot. If you can't knock it on the head every once in a while you really should be worried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

yeah man

i heart tekno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Between 6-10
    I do drink but probably only once a month or so, if you add it all up and figure it out I'm around 2 units of alcohol per week, maybe a little less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Between 81-100
    I find it hard to believe that so many people have less than 5 units per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Less than 5.
    Macavity. wrote: »

There probably all drunk out of there skulls answering :-)

Except st realies here :-)

Between 41-50
    Macavity. wrote: »

Ditto. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Between 6-10
    Oh OK then your opinion is in opposition to the science. Like I said to the other poster, take it up with the scientists. Maybe you know something they don't. LOL

I said it seemed low. I was surprised that it was low it was.

I didn't contradict you or your blessed scientists. I was merely stating that I thought the number of units was low.

Though I get the feeling from your posts that you could do with a few beers tonight, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Tetra

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'm fighting in two weeks and as such quit drink totally for the past three months, the longest I've been off it in years. The difference it's made to my life has been unreal and has left me seriously considering staying off it for life. While I was always fit, not getting p*ssed at the weekend and losing progress has left me in the best shape of my life. I've doubled the amount I've saved every month and more; to the point that this month I booked a trip of a lifetime to Bangladesh and Nepal and still managed to put away a few pounds into the savings account.

My biggest worry was becoming a sort of social hermit without any booze because I had always associated having fun or being in company with alcohol. If anything, the quality of time I've had has been vastly improved. I've started coaching the kids class on Sunday mornings which is hugely rewarding and I expect to have a few of them competing in 6 months. I've spent my weekends going to museums, galleries, walks etc as well as still meeting good friends for matches or dinner or whatever. My social life has never been busier and all without waking up Sunday and Monday mornings feeling like a bag of p*ss.

^^^ Love this post! Well done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Between 31-40
    So 50% of people either don't drink or have less than 2.5 pints a week, something's not right there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

So 50% of people either don't drink or have less than 2.5 pints a week, something's not right there...

50% of people who answered. Do you think people would be really rushing on to tell us all what piss heads they are? I didn't even calculate my units - ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Between 6-10
    I don't tend to drink unless it's a party situation, like a house party or a night out, I don't do that too often, maybe once or twice a month,usually in the same weekend. I'll sometimes hit the 60/70 mark on those weeks, but for most part I just don't drink, I wouldn't go down to the pub for a drink or two to kill time, if I go to the pub there's no way I'm drinking any less than 15/20 drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Between 6-10

tbf....like I tried everything when I younger....just could never stomach pints...2 or 3 and id be full to the neck..helps im a pure lightweight!!:cool:

..jamesons...now that's a different story!!!

I do be amazed when I hear people saying they drink 8-10 pints on an night out...esp as some wouldn't be fat beer belly types

Between 41-50
    50% of people who answered. Do you think people would be really rushing on to tell us all what piss heads they are? I didn't even calculate my units - ignorance is bliss.

Well I was honest about my high intake, I couldn't give a flute about someone seeing me as a piss head. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Between 11-15

Not really. I only drink maybe twice a month and raely more than 4 pints a session.

The rest of the time I'll drink water and drive home. Doesn't bother me one bit, I spend a fiver at most and my friends get a lift home at the end of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Between 31-40
    Not really. I only drink maybe twice a month and raely more than 4 pints a session.

The rest of the time I'll drink water and drive home. Doesn't bother me one bit, I spend a fiver at most and my friends get a lift home at the end of the night.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but 50% sounds very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Between 41-50
    Ah Christ, nearly 40 units according to that calculator. Bit of a bigger week than usual in fairness, but tame compared to some other ones I've had. I really need to cut back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Between 6-10
    Rarely drink these days but occasionally have a heavy one. Had one last night and it did NOT end well. Some scary shít happened at the end of the night that have me very close to completely quitting. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Well I was honest about my high intake, I couldn't give a flute about someone seeing me as a piss head. :)

You're only one person though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Between 41-50
    Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Rarely drink these days but occasionally have a heavy one. Had one last night and it did NOT end well. Some scary shít happened at the end of the night that have me very close to completely quitting. :(

You don't have to quit alcohol completely. Its about self control when you know you have had too many and need a break from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Between 6-10
    I wish our attitudes to drinking in Ireland would change. People who don't drink are often stigmatized in irish society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

So 10 pints is 23 units, and 10 drops of whiskey is 10 units, id be alot more pissed on 10 drops of whiskey then i would on 10 pints,and its cheaper:D

Advertisement