Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol. A sensible discussion.

Options
  • 01-11-2014 5:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭

Anyway, so my doctor warned me about my alcohol intake recently. Basically, I've drank more than 65 units per week over the last few months or so which is apparently too high. Recommended maximum is 20 units or so, which seems very low to me. Sure three naggins and you'd be over the limit. :(Here's a calculator you can use to see how many units you consume.

Anyway, how much do you drink, and are you worried about the implications on your health? I'll be honest, I'm not too pushed. My future health isn't a huge concern to me (for various reasons). To quote Winston Churchill - “I've gotten more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.”

Yes, a macho bullshit quote, alcohol is hugely damaging, we know. But has it gotten you through rough times? Has it gotten you through anxiety inducing situations and onto the other side? Because, fuck yes, it's gotten me there. It's benefited me hugely in life, and sure as fuck it's been highly damaging also. A lot of relationships destroyed. Sure enough, a lot of relationships formed too.

What's your relationship with alcohol like? Can you go without it for a few weeks? When did you first drink? Are the stereotypes true about the Irish in relation to drink? My friends/acquaintances from Continental Europe would tend to think so. They find it pretty shocking that at 13/14 getting drunk at a teenage disco was the norm. Yet, a French relative of mine would drink wine at dinner on occasion from as young as 13. :confused: Have never seen him drunk though.

Lets have a discussion about Ireland and alcohol, with no judgement whatsoever, fire away. Yes, I've been drinking tonight.

How many units of alcohol do you consume per week? 475 votes

I don't drink
    0%
    Less than 5.
    20%
    VictornothingressemzAbboDoctorEdgeWildFGRJupiterKidxzantizarquonCrookedJackGenghiz Cohenmags1962WurlymetaobliviaPaddy@CIRLzero19GyalistSabre ManCliona99scudzilla 96 votes
    Between 6-10
    28%
    Lucifertony 2 tonecournionilivEwirEinforfunhardCopyCalidenLia_liajebuzLumenDiemosmathieSeanWAlquaKnasherRedXIVcoffee_cakeKurtosisRealtineBlowfish 134 votes
    Between 11-15
    11%
    TheFatLa_GordybanquoKilOittermapplehunterkenmcjandmpeasantjcrowbarokedokeSierra OscarBeardySiI-like-eggs,mmmSemelehi_im_filBobeagleburgersimonwShadowHearthHeroditas 55 votes
    Between 16-20
    6%
    Fighting Irishrainbow kirbythe_barfly1Innervisionchubba1984lookseethetealshockwaveCorcaigh84eurokevFukuyamacruizer101McChubbinmy usernamemurphyebassceadaoin.bren2001suicide_circusNice MartyrFunnyonion79 32 votes
    Between 21-30
    6%
    BigConAglomeradojemelefantbikoRoanmoreM5DaeryssaOneearlyeveningSteodonnthe deftoneLemagFerris_BuellerBlut2Pudsy33Doctor JimbobSprrrattben.schlomoConstantJoePeppa Pig 33 votes
    Between 31-40
    9%
    BrokenArrowsTerrorFirmerNate--IRL--Goolayconzymuletideracso1975zegaJuliusCaesar[Deleted User]Amiranicarlmango11ireland.manJiveartistgizmo555Morzadecdrkpowerjd007Piglet85sbsquarepants 47 votes
    Between 41-50
    7%
    SandnibtrixablelocksNapoleonInRagsdos30Generic Dreadheadpq0n1ct4ve8zf5[Deleted User]JamieKTeyla EmmaganHoop66BigAl81FloatingVoterKungPaorecyclopstheglobeRDM_83 againLapindgtpolicarp 34 votes
    Between 51-60
    2%
    BatesyThe Hill BillyRossD1983idlebryanergerryg80EoinHefProp JoeOne_More_MileSmithwicks ManwilddartsheavydemonTalib Fiasco 13 votes
    Between 61-80
    2%
    MickeyDgeorgieMSitecBig Nastyteddy_303One_Armed_DwarfdarrcowsaintsaltynutscheekypupNecroAhhhhh its grandHeisenberg88 12 votes
    Between 81-100
    2%
    MonkeyTennisSEPT 23 1989Kenny Powerswe'llallhaveteaRoscommonTomValettaamorphousDublinCJMpetrolcanDavarus WalrusEoinMoranauldgrannyMacavity. 13 votes
    Over 100
    1%
    Chad ghostalSea SharpCocoonbrummytomBootsy.Makood 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Between 11-15
    My relationship with alcohol is a can of beer or a whiskey 2 or 3 times a week, and maybe 6 cans in a friends place/6 pints in a bar about...two weekends a month (cans more regularly than pints). 6 pints will leave me on the drunk side of merry, and that's enough for me, although at the time I often want more (and have drunk more, and gotten sloppy).

First drank when I was about 16. I don't think there has ever been a time when I depended on it, although I suppose my social life depends on drinking it to large extent.

I'm not really worried about the effects it is having on my health, because I don't really drink too much, although I did when I was younger (too much and more regularly). These days it's something to improve my periods of relaxing watching tv or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

Between 31-40
    From what you say above you are drinking too much, take your doctors advice and try and cut back. Don't look for validation on a Boards poll that looks at limited demographics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Between 81-100
    From what you say above you are drinking too much, take your doctors advice and try and cut back. Don't look for validation on a Boards poll that looks at limited demographics.

I'm trying to cut back (I'm not bothered about validation). :) The whole thing, however, made me question how we drink in this country. Which is why I put the poll up. I want a thread where everyone can post without feeling ashamed about how little or how much they drink. I want people's opinion on alcohol in this country and our attitude to drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Between 16-20
    How the times have changed. When I do get a rare night out I might put away 5-6 pints (and pay for it the next day!)but generally my weekly consumption would be a couple of bottles of beer and/or half a bottle of wine. Rock and roll!

I have made a conscious effort to cut back for a number of reasons, the hangovers being a prime one. In saying that, from an Irish perspective I would never have been a big drinker and that's what I find fundamentally scary - there are going to be a significant amount of people developing health issues at relatively young ages. People think amount they drink is fine because they see everyone around them in the pub doing the same.

Anyway, I'm fairly happy with my relationship with booze. I do enjoy a beer but I'd rather have 2-3 unusual ones than a belly full of the usual offenders(she calls me a beer snob). Its been a long long time since I grudgingly had to force myself to not order another drink and call it a night so I'm fairly sure that makes me not an alco.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

Bottle of wine maybe two weekends a month at most,maybe the odd mid-week pint if I can afford it. Have lost two uncle's to alcoholism,so I'd definitely take heed of your docs advice and attempt to cut down. Such a pointless,painful way to go,and an awful waste of money. I was a terrible drinker in my twenties, but luckily copped on and saw my drinking for what it was worth (covering worries/stresses/depression but solving none of them in my case.)

I dunno, fair % of Irish folk still tend to associate masculinity with how much drink you can consume which is absolute bullshít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Between 16-20
    I used to drink quite a lot in my 20s (which was only a few years ago!) Definitely more than the recommended 14 units for women anyway. At the time though I didn't really think it was that much, other people I knew drank a hell of a lot more.

During that time I was working in Ireland and the uk and showed up for work with a hangover many times; perfectly acceptable. Now I live in the US and although I'm not working, I gather that there does seem to be more of a stigma attached to being hungover at work.

Now I maybe have a bottle of wine over a week, sometimes two. Very occasionally a bit more. I see the difference, my tolerance is a lot less than it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Less than 5.
    Excessive alcohol consumption is the worst thing affecting this country. It does more harm and causes more misery than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Between 81-100
    Excessive alcohol consumption is the worst thing affecting this country. It does more harm and causes more misery than anything else.

Yeah, sure. It's definitely a problem. But, if I'm honest, I was kinda hoping to stay away from these sort of extreme statements. Sensible discussion. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Between 6-10
    To be honest, I think a lot of its to do with ur age and if u have a family.

In my 20's I was out 3 times a week, had a great time.
    Now in my 30's with wife and kids, I would have maybe two craft beers a week. Still get out on the lash maybe once every 4 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Between 41-50
    I am currently off it (only 6 days but it's a big deal for me to duck a Friday). I won't go into the gory details, only that I have a pain in my bollocks with the dent each weekend puts in my wallet, and with my behaviour when pissed.

Alcohol is great, but I think sometimes we can all do with stepping away from it for a period if it's becoming a 'problem'. I don't believe in this binge crap doctors try to peddle (4 pints a binge? **** off), but I do believe in looking after our mental wellbeing. If alcohol is beginning to hurt that, then it's time to make a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Between 41-50
    One week I would have 0, the next I could easily hit 50. Depends on Time off work, stress from work. The worst thing to realize is that alcohol is my only form if stress relief due to work commitments and budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Between 16-20
    I have about 10 Coors once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

0 units for the past two and a half years. I don't drink cause I get the hangover feeling a lot without drink due to migraines.

Massive headache, head spinning, nausea, vomiting...that's a migraine. Its like a hangover without the good time. I don't need drink for that. Smell a bag of crisps or walk past a chinese restaurant and I'll be sick.

I don't miss it. But I am sick of people trying to force it in my face. I'm fine with my water.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Less than 5.
    I stopped drinking nearly four years ago. I had such bad hangovers and I just thought what's the point?! My husband doesn't drink either. We save a lot of money. Sometimes I miss it but mostly I don't. I never want to go back to those scared out of my head hangovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

My experienve and observation is that alcoholism is still a big problem in Ireland,I've battled with the bottle in the past I've watched family members and friends fall to s*it from it,a bad case of alcohol withdrawal is truly horrible experience and would make you regret ever having put a bottle to your lips,anyways read a fairly good book on the subject recently called the national history of alcoholism by George valiant probably the most in depth look at factors that lead to alcoholism

He took 600 men non alcoholics at the start and followed their drinking patterns over the course of their lives taking in background,class and other factors I found this bit interesting:

" ethnic culture of each man was important. Among the Core City subjects, 61% of whose parents were born in foreign countries, alcoholics were seven times more likely to have Irish than Italian backgrounds."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Between 6-10
    Drinking alcohol was never as much fun as the underage pint in my local as a young fella.

I'll go weeks without evening thinking about it. I've a group of friends that I head out with approx once a month and have 5 or 6 pints, but it's the social aspect I enjoy and the alcohol is very much secondary.

Up to last year I used to work in the media and there were loads of occasions with free booze. It was mostly wasted on me though. Although in the three years I was there I probably turned up for work twice very much the worse for wear (as in 3 hours earlier was at a function), but it was the office culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I would class myself as a big drinker in the past but I'm starting to get excessive hangovers and anxiety so I cut down massively. Could easily put away 12ish pints and a few shorts on a night out.it makes me giddy and more social.I get kinda sentimental or something on the drink.me and my friends always go back on stuff that we done or happened growing up.

Nowadays I still drink probably more than I should but it's greatly reduced and the regularity is reduced too.I simply can't do my job unless I'm feeling totally refreshed.

As bad as drink is an I can see the pitfalls I can honestly say that some of the funniest incidents,some of the greatest stories I have with friends are drink related.some of the happiest times I've had were through drink.you can look down on me for saying it but it's true none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Between 6-10
    0 units for the past two and a half years. I don't drink cause I get the hangover feeling a lot without drink due to migraines.

Massive headache, head spinning, nausea, vomiting...that's a migraine. Its like a hangover without the good time. I don't need drink for that. Smell a bag of crisps or walk past a chinese restaurant and I'll be sick.

I don't miss it. But I am sick of people trying to force it in my face. I'm fine with my water.

While I'm not teetotal, I'm in the same boat as you re migraines. And unfortunately, some types of alcohol are a trigger.
    If I do go out, no spirits, and will only have 3 ales or else I'm going to suffer
    I'm quite happy to sit there all evening in a bar with a Nashs red lemonade if I'm playing it safe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

When you have the bar owner say you drink too much I probably have a problem.

I don't think I do, I don't be desperate for a drink and I can go out and just have one or two bottles. I do however binge drink and would do it regularly could be 3 times a week which I have cut down but still once or twice a week is too much.

Between 6-10
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    When you have the bar owner say you drink too much I probably have a problem.

I don't think I do, I don't be desperate for a drink and I can go out and just have one or two bottles. I do however binge drink and would do it regularly could be 3 times a week which I have cut down but still once or twice a week is too much.

This is no time to get preachy, but I'd listen to the bar owner, binge drinking is a sure sign of an issue with alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Between 16-20
    I drink maybe a bottle of wine and 2 beers each week.

I used to drink a fcuking scary amount, though. Surprised I never damaged my liver.

Between 41-50
    This is no time to get preachy, but I'd listen to the bar owner, binge drinking is a sure sign of an issue with alcohol

Someone taking it handy during the week and then going on the lash at the weekend is not a big deal in itself. It's all about your relationship with drink, why you drink and the negative impact drinking has on you.

The woman who goes through a bottle of wine once a week and becomes abusive to her partner has a bigger problem with alcohol than the chap who goes on a 2 day session at the weekend, but one that always ends with him causing no trouble for anyone.

Between 6-10
    Someone taking it handy during the week and then going on the lash at the weekend is not a big deal in itself. It's all about your relationship with drink, why you drink and the negative impact drinking has on you.

The woman who goes through a bottle of wine once a week and becomes abusive to her partner has a bigger problem with alcohol than the chap who goes on a 2 day session at the weekend, but one that always ends with him causing no trouble for anyone.

The poster said binge drinking 3 times a week, as i said, I wasn't preaching,
    relationship with alcohol eh?, that's cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Yeah I think it's the relationship with alcohol too as in why do you drink.if you're drinking to cut down anxiety that's a major red flag in my opinion. I noticed it before when I was living abroad and as a result went off drink for about 6 months to nip it in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,018 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't believe in this binge crap doctors try to peddle (4 pints a binge? **** off), but I do believe in looking after our mental wellbeing. If alcohol is beginning to hurt that, then it's time to make a change.

Fair play on being off the booze. I disagree on the bit about doctors and binge drinking though. Doctors aren't trying to set a reasonable limit for how much you can drink in the Irish drinking culture and have a good time. They do experiments to find out how much you can drink before it begins to have serious negative effects on your health and pass on that info.

Feel free to ignore it but please don't pretend it's not true.

Between 41-50
    Fair play on being off the booze. I disagree on the bit about doctors and binge drinking though. Doctors aren't trying to set a reasonable limit for how much you can drink in the Irish drinking culture. They do experiments to find out how much you can drink before it begins to have serious negative effects on your health and pass on that info.

Feel free to ignore it but please don't pretend it's not true.
    I'm not ignoring that and absolutely accept there's a genuine concern. But I'm sorry, for me personally, saying 4 pints is binge drinking is ridiculous. Now if someone was slamming 6 pints 3 days a week then I'd maybe listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Between 11-15
    Macavity. wrote: »
    Anyway, so my doctor warned me about my alcohol intake recently. Basically, I've drank more than 65 units per week over the last few months or so which is apparently too high. Recommended maximum is 20 units or so, which seems very low to me. Sure three naggins and you'd be over the limit. :(Here's a calculator you can use to see how many units you consume.

Anyway, how much do you drink, and are you worried about the implications on your health? I'll be honest, I'm not too pushed. My future health isn't a huge concern to me (for various reasons). To quote Winston Churchill - “I've gotten more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.”

Yes, a macho bullshit quote, alcohol is hugely damaging, we know. But has it gotten you through rough times? Has it gotten you through anxiety inducing situations and onto the other side? Because, fuck yes, it's gotten me there. It's benefited me hugely in life, and sure as fuck it's been highly damaging also. A lot of relationships destroyed. Sure enough, a lot of relationships formed too.

What's your relationship with alcohol like? Can you go without it for a few weeks? When did you first drink? Are the stereotypes true about the Irish in relation to drink? My friends/acquaintances from Continental Europe would tend to think so. They find it pretty shocking that at 13/14 getting drunk at a teenage disco was the norm. Yet, a French relative of mine would drink wine at dinner on occasion from as young as 13. :confused: Have never seen him drunk though.

Lets have a discussion about Ireland and alcohol, with no judgement whatsoever, fire away. Yes, I've been drinking tonight.

How many pints is that, 30 to 40 per week? That does seem excessive, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Between 6-10
    I go on a small session once a month or so maybe having 8-10 pints, so on average about 5units per week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm fighting in two weeks and as such quit drink totally for the past three months, the longest I've been off it in years. The difference it's made to my life has been unreal and has left me seriously considering staying off it for life. While I was always fit, not getting p*ssed at the weekend and losing progress has left me in the best shape of my life. I've doubled the amount I've saved every month and more; to the point that this month I booked a trip of a lifetime to Bangladesh and Nepal and still managed to put away a few pounds into the savings account.

My biggest worry was becoming a sort of social hermit without any booze because I had always associated having fun or being in company with alcohol. If anything, the quality of time I've had has been vastly improved. I've started coaching the kids class on Sunday mornings which is hugely rewarding and I expect to have a few of them competing in 6 months. I've spent my weekends going to museums, galleries, walks etc as well as still meeting good friends for matches or dinner or whatever. My social life has never been busier and all without waking up Sunday and Monday mornings feeling like a bag of p*ss.

• Advertisement

Between 41-50
    Like to have one heavy session a week, sometimes two and then there would be an odd pint here and there along the way too. So would normally be up arms around 30 units a week but could push up to 40 or 50 units if it was a heavy week and I know I've got up near three figures now and again with week long sessions on holidays, galway races etc.

I couldn't do the "going out once a month" people talk about, I'd be very bored without a good session the vast majority of weekends (with an odd quiet one). I love going out Thursday nights too, despite the effort of working hungover on a Friday went through a phase a while back where we were out straight from work 3/4 Thursday's.

Advertisement